Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

nanomachines posted:

At a convention last year, M hung around my sales table to tell me at length about how her doll was dressed as her character cosplaying as Jareth from Labyrinth.

Wazzup, dealer's room goon!

You meet cool people and make great friends. And then--there's Them.

At the scifi, renfairs & comiccons I am grateful to have a nice, safe table between me & Them.

You know Them. Pignose, fanboys covered in Axe and grime, greasy-haired half-ton weeabos--Them.

The worst--the absolute worst--was a stinking threesome who wandered up to my booth. Two male, one female. All wearing filthy clothes that barely covered their genitals. No underwear, naturally. None of it had been washed in years. The smaller man fingerbanged the woman while the big man talked endlessly about his adventures with swords and elves.

Yeah. At my innocent booth. They stayed for what seemed like hours, the woman moaning and the little man banging away.

It's been something like 20 years, and my brain still bleeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

PiratePing posted:

When I was 12 I had a classmate who was the only fat girl in school and always had some story to tell about how random guys she hung out with outside of school were madly in love with her. She also lied about her cupsize. She loved the idea of being the first girl in class to get boobs so she paraded around showing her fatroll/moob cleavage, since she didn't have actual breasts yet. Later when puberty hit she would loudly brag about how large they were and how hard it is to find bras, sometimes even going as far as to fake back pain because her boobs were just so, so large. In reality, she had a b cup that was struggling to stick out further than her belly on the best of days.

To be fair, even normal preteen/teenage girls can get a little breast/bra-obsessed. I have this distinct memory from sixth grade of standing around with a few of the girls in my class trying to talk nonchalantly about how we were all wearing bras now and what it was like being bra-wearers and oh my God. This can hit fat girls especially hard, since it was a way in which we were finally ahead of the physical curve for once.

Interestingly, Calliope was the opposite of this -- the average-sized girl in our mostly-fat peer group -- and soon became completely insufferable. She developed a reputation as being awful to go shopping with, because she'd go out of her way to point out all the cute clothes that they had in her size and not yours! Tee-hee! I only saw this sort of thing once, at my 16th birthday party at the mall (yes, I know, we were very suburban), where she was very proud of and loud about the fact that she could still fit into a child-sized pleather skirt at Old Navy. This was obnoxious as gently caress -- and in retrospect, given that she was not quite 15 at that point, it wasn't even terribly impressive.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Khazar-khum posted:

Yeah. At my innocent booth. They stayed for what seemed like hours, the woman moaning and the little man banging away.

How was this poo poo acceptable why did you not tell them to get the gently caress away from you :gonk:

I mean, surely you could have got them kicked out for that sort of horror

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

Antivehicular posted:

To be fair, even normal preteen/teenage girls can get a little breast/bra-obsessed. I have this distinct memory from sixth grade of standing around with a few of the girls in my class trying to talk nonchalantly about how we were all wearing bras now and what it was like being bra-wearers and oh my God. This can hit fat girls especially hard, since it was a way in which we were finally ahead of the physical curve for once.

Tell me about it, I was a very earlier developer. I've had several girls beg me to let them see them or just loving grope me :stare:

nanomachines
Dec 7, 2011

Khazar-khum posted:

Wazzup, dealer's room goon!

You meet cool people and make great friends. And then--there's Them.

At the scifi, renfairs & comiccons I am grateful to have a nice, safe table between me & Them.

You know Them. Pignose, fanboys covered in Axe and grime, greasy-haired half-ton weeabos--Them.

The worst--the absolute worst--was a stinking threesome who wandered up to my booth. Two male, one female. All wearing filthy clothes that barely covered their genitals. No underwear, naturally. None of it had been washed in years. The smaller man fingerbanged the woman while the big man talked endlessly about his adventures with swords and elves.

.... WOW.

That is a whole other world of creepy and gross. D': I've had people make out creepily close to my table at a Star Trek convention one year, but it wasn't quite that bad... and I've been stuck behind rude camera crews and batches of crazy people, but nooooo fingerbanging. Thank god.

I'm usually in the craft markets and artist alleys, so it's not quite as insanely crowded as dealers rooms, but boy howdy you get a lot of people coming over to tell you about how their alter ago is an elf vampire werewolf angel and can I draw them for a mere few pennies since the character is SO KAWAII DESU.

I think my favourite recent one was when a girl found out I was a doll person, threw her cosplay cloak behind her like a super villian to show that she was cradling a really unfortunate looking doll under her arm. With her eyes darting around conspiratorially, She proceeded to tell me how they were soulbound and he was a vampire demon and was 500 years old, and then she hid the doll with her cloak once more and scurried away.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

nanomachines posted:

I think my favourite recent one was when a girl found out I was a doll person, threw her cosplay cloak behind her like a super villian to show that she was cradling a really unfortunate looking doll under her arm. With her eyes darting around conspiratorially, She proceeded to tell me how they were soulbound and he was a vampire demon and was 500 years old, and then she hid the doll with her cloak once more and scurried away.
This is loving beautiful, I swear if I had time I would draw a picture of her.

GoonyMcGoonface
Sep 11, 2001

Friends don't left friends do ECB
Dinosaur Gum

Khazar-khum posted:

:psypop:
And you didn't call the police to have them arrested for... god, I can't even think of how many things?

Come on man, do it for the rest of us. :effort:

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~

The Sezza posted:

Didn't the creator also say he wanted to make female cartoon characters for awkward children to have crushes on? It's weird that he's trying to ward off shippers but facilitate nerds who are attracted to cartoons.

To be fair, I think there's a huge difference between having a crush on a cartoon character (which in and of itself sounds dorky...I know) and whole heartedly believing that they're real.

For instance... (oh god, please don't lynch mob me...)I have a "crush" on(it's more like I'm a huge fan of...)a certain male cartoon character. I like the personality type that he represents, but I do not for a second believe that:
a) He actually exists
b) I am married to him
c) Any guy who cosplays as him is actually him

It's all about perspective, really. And sure, acting like a loserish fangirl sometimes can be super fun, but there's a thick line in the sand.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's not THAT weird...it's probably more common than one would expect.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

cuntvalet posted:

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's not THAT weird...it's probably more common than one would expect.

No it's pretty weird for anyone over the age of like, 12 to have crushes on imaginary people that were designed by people who have crushes on imaginary people. Besides, I've heard the crazier fangirls say the exact same thing. 'Oh it's totally harmless and everyone does it and and and..."

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

No it's pretty weird for anyone over the age of like, 12 to have crushes on imaginary people that were designed by people who have crushes on imaginary people. Besides, I've heard the crazier fangirls say the exact same thing. 'Oh it's totally harmless and everyone does it and and and..."

Half of the characters written both in cartoons and live action television shows are designed to be crush-worthy, I don't think cuntvalet is terribly out of line here.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Hell, Mike Rowe admitted to being attracted to the eponymous Little Mermaid once back when he was working the home shopping circuit.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

Meldonox posted:

Hell, Mike Rowe admitted to being attracted to the eponymous Little Mermaid once back when he was working the home shopping circuit.

And he turned into somebody that girls and guys alike have crushes on. :ohdear:

This has been an...interesting little derail. Though, to be honest, I think more people have fictional crushes than you'd think...

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Well, that's because it is totally harmless if it's just a silly little crush and not a full-blown obsession. Most of the people in this thread, like Denise and Summer, have skyrocketed past "crush" and well into the obsession range.

Going, "Hey that character possesses personality traits I find attractive" and even wishing you could find someone similar isn't exactly terrible, or even unnatural, so long as you keep the firm line in the sand between "liking certain traits" and "HOLY poo poo SHE'S MY WAIFU!"

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

PiratePing posted:

Tell me about it, I was a very earlier developer. I've had several girls beg me to let them see them or just loving grope me :stare:
Did you grow up in an anime?

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

I posted:

Nope, showering after gym meant the girls had all seen eachother naked anyway so there was no point in prudishness. One girl was pretty creepy because she was thirteen, absolutely sex-obsessed and fasinated by my boobs. I've been groped by drunk girls more often than guys, I guess because in my country it's normal for girls to be pretty touchy-feely with eachother(especially among friends). V:shobon:V

E: VVV this.

PiratePing fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jan 20, 2012

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

I posted:

It happened to me (had to wear a bra when I was nine...not a fatty, wasn't a fatty.) At sleepovers, everyone wants to see the only tits their age.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

No, it's really not that weird. Everyone has crushes from time to time. Crushing on a cartoon character isn't any weirder than crushing on a celebrity. To the person having the crush they are both equally unreal. Their personalities are tailored to be attractive ideals to wide varieties of people, it's like seeing a person with a perfect body and thinking they are hot. It's a natural response.

It starts to get strange if you start getting obsessional about the crush, to the point that you are miserable you can never be together. Or start joining online groups for people who share your crush. And then anything beyond that is just flat out crazy and means you need therapy for all kinds of poo poo.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I wish I could remember more details, but this was 20 years ago (:corsair:).

A guy at my small college would show for the first few classes dressed normally. Maybe act a bit dramatic, ask some bizarre questions, just seemed eccentric.

Then he would become PATMAN.

His name was Pat, and he would show up for class in full Batman gear. Cape, mask boots, utility belt, the works. He'd arrive just a minute or two late so he could make a dramatic entrance: door flies open --- :byodood: "YES IT'S ME! PATMAN!"

You also have to imagine that he was all of 5' 4" and wore glasses (yes, over his bat mask). He did not exactly strike terror into our hearts.

He was also obsessed with both Barbarella and Duran Duran (the band). I'm not sure which came first. He walked with a limp and often a cane, as during my four-year stay at that college he got hit by cars no less than 3 times. One of my friends witnessed a hit, and said he was certain that Pat had deliberately walked into traffic; everyone else was waiting for the light to change but Pat just limped on across a four lane road.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

PATMAN

This is so awesome. Not the part about getting hit by cars, that's kinda weird and sad. But I love the idea of someone making a dramatic entrance to class everyday dressed as batman. I suppose it must have gotten old after a while, though.

Edit: VVVV I don't know what other reaction you could have to Patman except :3:

LyonsLions fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 21, 2012

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, I kind of love Patman. The being-hit-by-cars thing is baffling and sad, but for some reason the charging-into-every-class-dressed-as-Batman thing is endearing to me. It must have gotten really old if you had a class with him, though.

EDIT: Wow, I made the exact same post as the person above me. Oops? Well, the sentiment holds.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Ole Pat never did learn to cross them streets. Shucks, maybe we was the ones gettin' it wrong all along.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Yeah, Patman was harmless, but Lyons and Anti are right: it did get a bit old after a while. It was a small college within a decent sized university, so I was in several classes with him, and I'm sure most of the profs were tired of this after the first few classes.

I forgot one detail: he was one of those drama people that spoke in a fake British accent. And his height gave him an equally squeaky voice. So when you envision him walking into the classroom announcing "IT'S PATMAN!", try to imagine, I dunno, Eric Idle saying that.

To add to the "where do these people come from?" discussion: as someone who grew up without the internet, I blame the internet. Does anyone else pushing 40 in this thread agree? I hung with the geeky D&D, LARP, SCA, comic book-reading, sci-fi watching, con-going crowd, and I never knew anyone as remotely crazy as some of the piss-drinking furry otaku soul-bonding freaks in this thread.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

CaladSigilon posted:

And you didn't call the police to have them arrested for... god, I can't even think of how many things?

Come on man, do it for the rest of us. :effort:

I did tell con security. They found them hanging around the hospitality suite, scoring free food.

Why yes, I've never been able to eat at a hospitality suite. How did you guess?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Khazar-khum posted:

I did tell con security. They found them hanging around the hospitality suite, scoring free food.

Why yes, I've never been able to eat at a hospitality suite. How did you guess?

I work at something resembling a conference center (a local gov't facility that rents its meeting rooms to outside groups), and now I can never relish a free buffet again. drat you, Khazar.

Twiggy Johnson
Jun 10, 2011

JacquelineDempsey posted:

To add to the "where do these people come from?" discussion: as someone who grew up without the internet, I blame the internet. Does anyone else pushing 40 in this thread agree? I hung with the geeky D&D, LARP, SCA, comic book-reading, sci-fi watching, con-going crowd, and I never knew anyone as remotely crazy as some of the piss-drinking furry otaku soul-bonding freaks in this thread.

Yeah, I don't think it's any big secret that the internet has done strange things to Generations Y and Z.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

I have numerous fictional crushes. I don't find it weird at all. I've always developed little crushes on fictional characters and one or two celebrities. I refuse to believe that's a weird thing judging by how many calendars there are devoted to certain celebrities being scantily clad.

I gotta crush on Seth Green, for example. However, I don't believe that he's being mind controlled by his (smoking hot) wife to stay away from me. I just think he's super adorable, I like his voice work and it seems we have similar interests.

This is a thing Denise has told me about celebrity or character crushes that have significant others; You are actually are the character's twu wuv, see. Their evil bastard of a SO is just controlling them and if you can break into their mind on the astral plane they will start to search for you sio you can be together forever.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

uglynoodles posted:

This is a thing Denise has told me about celebrity or character crushes that have significant others; You are actually are the character's twu wuv, see. Their evil bastard of a SO is just controlling them and if you can break into their mind on the astral plane they will start to search for you sio you can be together forever.
Oh my God, it's insane astral-marriage theory meets terrible shipper-fic theory (only I know the character's true love!!). That's... that's beautiful.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Twiggy Johnson posted:

Yeah, I don't think it's any big secret that the internet has done strange things to Generations Y and Z.
Honestly I think the crazy people have always been there, but before the internet they couldn't find others like them. Now they have entire communities dedicated to whatever crazy poo poo they like/get off on, and that sort of normalizes their behavior and in many cases probably keeps them from seeking help.

I'm 31. I'm a huge (not crazy) Disney fan, and when I was 13 or 14 we finally got internet and I remember learning HTML and making my own Disney fan page. There were very few fan sites online back then, and none of them were crazy -- I made friends with a lot of other Disney fans and some of them are still my friends to this day.

I don't know what happened, but things changed. 3 years later I deleted my web site because people kept sending me horrible Disney porn and fanfics. I still remember one that was about Dumbo running away from the circus and meeting an adult elephant who turned him into his sex slave.

WHY :cry:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

the kawaiiest posted:

Honestly I think the crazy people have always been there, but before the internet they couldn't find others like them. Now they have entire communities dedicated to whatever crazy poo poo they like/get off on, and that sort of normalizes their behavior and in many cases probably keeps them from seeking help.

Agreed; when I was twelve I wrote what was essentially a self-insertion Star Wars fanfic where Luke Skywalker fell madly in love with me. (WHAT? SHUT UP) I had no idea that anyone else in the world had ever done the same thing, it was just fun. But no one sodomized me with a lightsaber or anything, just the occasional description of a preteen's idea of what making out is like.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

the kawaiiest posted:

I've said this before elsewhere but I think it bears repeating here: If this thread has taught me anything, it's that I should be thankful every day that there was no easy access to the Internet when I was a teenager.

My friends and I got obsessed with things, books, movies, boy bands, television shows, boy bands, and boy bands. I'd come up with whole elaborate stories with other people's characters. But I NEVER wrote anything down. Never.

In fact, I actually felt like what I was doing was wrong somehow and deeply shameful. And this is simply because I never in my experience up to that point met anyone who thought that writing stories starring either characters you didn't make up or real people was anything other than weird and, frankly, kind of pointless. I always felt like I was taking some random person's kids to Disney World for a month while totally abandoning my own "kids" - my own characters. So thank goodness I didn't get on the Internet until well after I grew out of this.

I'll add something very crucial to our ongoing list of symptoms: Some people just plain lack filters. You and I may have a little voice that says, "woah - the whole Internet doesn't need to know that about you! Better not post it!" These folks don't. They really don't. Add the aforementioned normalizing factor of Internet hangouts and, well...

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Rahonavis posted:

I'll add something very crucial to our ongoing list of symptoms: Some people just plain lack filters. You and I may have a little voice that says, "woah - the whole Internet doesn't need to know that about you! Better not post it!" These folks don't. They really don't. Add the aforementioned normalizing factor of Internet hangouts and, well...

I think a large part of that is trained/learned on the internet as well... A good forum like SA enforces rules like "don't post something that doesn't contribute anything worthwhile" and "don't post poo poo about yourself that no one cares about," but there are plenty of free forum communities out there with subsections whose rules are literally just "post whatever random thought pops into your head."

Finding those teaches kids exactly the wrong way to talk to people on the internet, and if it's on a forum that's already into stuff like porny fanfiction (or even just fanfiction in general), it just compounds the problem by giving those kids an easy way to get attention and reinforcement by posting the stuff in their heads that you considered shameful.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

I think a large part of that is trained/learned on the internet as well... A good forum like SA enforces rules like "don't post something that doesn't contribute anything worthwhile" and "don't post poo poo about yourself that no one cares about," but there are plenty of free forum communities out there with subsections whose rules are literally just "post whatever random thought pops into your head."

Finding those teaches kids exactly the wrong way to talk to people on the internet, and if it's on a forum that's already into stuff like porny fanfiction (or even just fanfiction in general), it just compounds the problem by giving those kids an easy way to get attention and reinforcement by posting the stuff in their heads that you considered shameful.
Not only that, but many, many of these people don't understand that real life is not the internet at all. Not at all. They think it's perfectly acceptable to openly discuss their fetishes with other people and tend to feel that those who are uncomfortable with that are "close-minded" and "old-fashioned".

I used to work part time at the same art academy that I attended, to help pay for my classes. One of the tasks I was assigned to was portfolio reviews (for "scholarships") at the lowest level -- basically I was supposed to look through all of the portfolio submissions and filter out the really bad stuff before the teachers would look through the submissions and select the ones that they felt had potential and deserved either a huge discount or a full on scholarship where they would only have to pay for their art supplies/books/etc.

The bulk of it was just really, really bad art, like stuff that was obviously traced from manga and poorly written fantasy "epics" (they also had writing classes at the academy). Your usual Dunning-Kruger stuff. But every now and then truly horrible poo poo would show up, stuff like fetish art or really awful porn fan fiction. I saw everything from inflation fetish to... well, worse.

I remember this one particular guy who was like 43 or so, and his entire portfolio was poorly drawn furry inflation and anime foot fetish stuff. He even had a comic about a morbidly obese anime woman who was turned into a furry and the only way for her to become human again was to let 1000 men tickle her feet. And not only did he put this stuff in his portfolio -- he really and truly believed that it was totally acceptable to do so AND that he was good enough to qualify for a scholarship. I remember him clearly because he sent the school several angry letters when his application was rejected, and many of them had terrible furry portraits of him with duct tape on his mouth and poo poo like "[school name] has censored my artistic expressions" and so on. He mentioned his fans on deviantart and how many page views he had and seemed convinced that that actually meant something. He would send us his horrible poo poo every 6 months or so. He might still be doing that.

I was reading some old Gaia drama once and came across wickeddelight, who is a good example of this as well I think. Her "Editing, Consulting, and Ghostwriting Services" page contains this gem:

quote:

The following stories and story outlines may include any of: gay weddings, male pregnancy and childbirth, lactatation and nursing, incest, bestiality, slavery/captivity (minimal brutality), mentions of rape (but no on-screen rape), and wierd science fistion/magic stuff such as implanting eggs into people. But, it all has happy endings. :)
Her :nws: art page :nws: is a pretty good example of how out of touch with reality she seems to be -- the artwork here is actually worse than most of what I saw when I was working at the academy, and she claims to be a concept artist for video games.

For reference, she's at least 30 years old. So yeah, this isn't some clueless 15 year old on deviantart or anything.

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jan 22, 2012

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

the kawaiiest posted:

Her :nws: art page :nws: is a pretty good example of how out of touch with reality she seems to be -- the artwork here is actually worse than most of what I saw when I was working at the academy, and she claims to be a concept artist for video games.

For reference, she's at least 30 years old. So yeah, this isn't some clueless 15 year old on deviantart or anything.

Hey, some of that is pretty good abstract artwork - wait, what do you mean it's not supposed to be abstract?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

the kawaiiest posted:

Good Lord. Art aside, look at her freakin' Web design! The text colors! The use of anime emoticons in links! Being socialized to the Internet is one thing, but she isn't even good at Internet standards.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Lance Streetman posted:

Hey, some of that is pretty good abstract artwork - wait, what do you mean it's not supposed to be abstract?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Corridor posted:

That's one of my favorites actually. I thought her head was bleeding at first.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

the kawaiiest posted:

That's one of my favorites actually. I thought her head was bleeding at first.

You mean you can't style your scabs? What?

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

Phuzzy posted:

You mean you can't style your scabs? What?

...You just ruined my hopes and dreams. Thanks.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Corridor posted:

It's like something Amano would draw, only poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

the kawaiiest posted:

They think it's perfectly acceptable to openly discuss their fetishes with other people and tend to feel that those who are uncomfortable with that are "close-minded" and "old-fashioned".

Maybe we are. I've often wondered what it is about my generation that's going to mark us as hopelessly old and out of touch, the 'racist grandma' mindset we won't be able to shake and that our kids are going to be horribly embarrased by. Maybe this is it.

"Look at all these people blurting out their fetishes in line at the supermarket. Someone should do something about that, they really should."
"Shh! You can't say that, grandpa! Jeez."

• Locked thread