Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

lazerwolf posted:

If that boot has the protection of a regular hockey boot I could see that being a good alternative for roller hockey goalies who don't use skates

What is this craziness you speak of? Wouldn't that give them an almost obscene advantage? (and by advantage I mean, just put them in less of a disadvantage compared to ice hockey goalies?)

Which league practices this, so I can never go there. It's hard enough for me to score with the goalie out of position and no chance to make a play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

cenzo posted:

What is this craziness you speak of? Wouldn't that give them an almost obscene advantage? (and by advantage I mean, just put them in less of a disadvantage compared to ice hockey goalies?)

Which league practices this, so I can never go there. It's hard enough for me to score with the goalie out of position and no chance to make a play.

Actually I wouldn't consider it a huge advantage, if any advantage at all. In order to challenge a shooter and come out to cut down the angles they have to walk/run instead of coast leaving them with less reaction time since they could be in mid step when you deke.

Our league also says goalies on feet can't go behind to play the puck

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

cenzo posted:

In addition to what lazerwolf said, in skates you can get a wider stance.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So I'm sitting here trying to figure out how to tape my stick from heel to toe, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it without getting huge wrinkles in the tape as I try to follow the bend in the stick. Is there some trick, or you just live with lovely looking tape?

My blade is getting pretty beat up, so I'm looking to protect it better.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Pull harder on the tape. It will stretch to fit the curve as needed.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Also, have just a little bit of slack as you go, maybe an inch over the length of the side you're about to apply tape to. That'll help you control it better. If its not to your liking, just pull it back up and reapply.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
Make sure you start on the back of the blade with the roll initially being towards the bottom of your blade. If you tape your stick with the butt on the ground, that will mean pulling the roll up on for the first section.

And pull hard on the tape, that too.

The orientation doesn't really matter

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

xzzy posted:

So I'm sitting here trying to figure out how to tape my stick from heel to toe, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it without getting huge wrinkles in the tape as I try to follow the bend in the stick. Is there some trick, or you just live with lovely looking tape?

I dunno why this does it, maybe it's in my head, but I feel like it works. Anyway I feel like its both easier and makes the tape job last longer if you line the top, bottom and edge of the toe with a single piece of tape before you start. Like if you're looking at the very bottom of the stick, taking one big long piece of tape and putting it right along the edge from heel to toe, then another little piece to go around the toe smoothly, then another piece for the top.

Edit:

Like this

I go all the way around though. But I also tape my entire blade. I think I posted a picture of my pink-taped stick earlier in this thread but here it is anyway

toxicsunset fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 21, 2012

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Pleads posted:

Pull harder on the tape. It will stretch to fit the curve as needed.
This, plus it could be the tape. Some tape I've bought over the years is just lovely and tends to wrinkle as you wrap it, requiring more effort than usual.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
I thought everyone used Renfrew stick tape? I've always just used that and never had issues with it.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Surfing Turtle posted:

I thought everyone used Renfrew stick tape? I've always just used that and never had issues with it.

I end up with Howie's tape sometimes depending on where I buy it. I don't really notice any difference between that and Renfrew.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

toxicsunset posted:

I dunno why this does it, maybe it's in my head, but I feel like it works. Anyway I feel like its both easier and makes the tape job last longer if you line the top, bottom and edge of the toe with a single piece of tape before you start. Like if you're looking at the very bottom of the stick, taking one big long piece of tape and putting it right along the edge from heel to toe, then another little piece to go around the toe smoothly, then another piece for the top.

I usually put a piece of clear tape over the bottom edge of the blade before I tape it up with friction tape.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
I bough this stuff today and hopefully its the end of clear tape

its your basic shinguard straps but made out of rubber and Velcro.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

xzzy posted:

Hockey tape? All the cool kids use these and listen to Dub Step.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fortunately, I am criminally uncool.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

New stick update :toot:

Picked up a one-piece Bauer Supreme One60 this morning, with a Backstrom curve and 77 flex. I cut about 2.5 inches off of it so it's more like an 85 now. I just got back from using it at drop-in tonight. So far so good, it's got a good, solid feel and it's light and balanced. It's one of their mid-range sticks, setting me back only 100 bucks. I'm still awaiting a blade+shaft combo in the mail but I'm most likely going to return those once they arrive. I'm very satisfied with this purchase, and considering Bauer's top end sticks are over 220 dollars, it's an excellent compromise of price without losing a lot of durability and performance.

edit: And I just confirmed that in the midst of my hangover this morning, I got a 3/8" hollow on my skates rather than a 5/8" :ughh:

No wonder why I was chattering everywhere when I would try to stop

shyduck fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 22, 2012

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
2 questions about my long active stick:

1) Does it matter that my stick is longer than average? I'm 5'7 and use a senior that isn't cut down at all. I kinda like the length of it. I took my friends intermediate who is also the same height as me and from what I gather his intermediate is where I should cut my stick down to. I hated the length of it. It felt really short and like I had no reach at all and couldn't lean into my stick at all. So yeah, is it just because I'm used to it and I'm handicapping myself or is it just personal preference?

2) I was at play it again and I saw some Graf sticks. General consensus on quality? I liked them.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

Alizee posted:

1) Does it matter that my stick is longer than average? I'm 5'7 and use a senior that isn't cut down at all. I kinda like the length of it. I took my friends intermediate who is also the same height as me and from what I gather his intermediate is where I should cut my stick down to. I hated the length of it. It felt really short and like I had no reach at all and couldn't lean into my stick at all. So yeah, is it just because I'm used to it and I'm handicapping myself or is it just personal preference?

I am no expert but it sounds like you are skating very upright? I used to use longer sticks when I was playing defense but when I switched to forward I cut the sticks down almost like an inch and a half. It became a lot easier to handle and shoot the puck when I'm in tight spaces.

Edit: Forgot but not all senior sticks are the same length. I have bought some that were like 61" and some that were like 57". The 61" I definitely cut down.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Alizee posted:

2) I was at play it again and I saw some Graf sticks. General consensus on quality? I liked them.

I can't imagine how you manage to make the stick blade lie right if the stick's that much longer than it should be, unless you choke way down in which case there's no point to having the stick that long in the first place

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

toxicsunset posted:

I can't imagine how you manage to make the stick blade lie right if the stick's that much longer than it should be, unless you choke way down in which case there's no point to having the stick that long in the first place

Blades come in different lies, and since people of equal height will play with significantly different lengths of stick, there's got to be a way to make it work.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Alizee posted:

Are you Mats Zucarello-Assen?

The base 'standard' for stick length is around your chin on skates, your nose off skates.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

D C posted:

The base 'standard' for stick length is around your chin on skates, your nose off skates.

This. Or shorter.

A co-worker of mine saw one of The Great One's sticks at the hockey hall of fame, or one of his restaurants in Toronto, or some such. Said it looks like a kid's stick.

I recently added about an inch in length to my sticks, bringing them to around my upper lip, off skates, and I feel like I'm skating with a drat bo staff.

Of course, different strokes for different folks.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Alizee posted:

Play with what feels comfortable to you. The only real concern with such a long stick is that you have the proper lie.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bye weeks are the worst weeks :(

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Bye weeks are the worst weeks :(

Our game last night was our first since December 18th :(

Then we only have 2 games in February because of a youth tournament and the Super Bowl, so only 4 games from December 18th - March.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

10:45pm game tomorrow.

We need a :woop: smiley that eventually loses his exuberance and collapses under exhaustion.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Pleads posted:

10:45pm game tomorrow.

We need a :woop: smiley that eventually loses his exuberance and collapses under exhaustion.

:woop:...:o:...:sweatdrop:...:negative:

e: I had a late-ish game last night and then got like 4 hours of sleep and I am super :negative: at work.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 23, 2012

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

lazerwolf posted:

Play with what feels comfortable to you. The only real concern with such a long stick is that you have the proper lie.

Longer sticks are detrimental to stickhandling - physics :eng101:

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Thufir posted:

:woop:...:o:...:sweatdrop:...:negative:

e: I had a late-ish game last night and then got like 4 hours of sleep and I am super :negative: at work.
10:15 here, but the worst was when we'd have 11:30 games on Monday night, it'd absolutely kill me the next day cause I couldn't get to sleep until like 2 or 3 and then I'd have to wake up at the regular time of 8 or so.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors
11:20 Sunday and Wednesday night games are pretty common in our league. poo poo sucks so hard.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's not the 11pm starts that sucks, it's the getting up at 7am the next morning that sucks. Clearly the problem is the existence of jobs.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

xzzy posted:

It's not the 11pm starts that sucks, it's the getting up at 7am the next morning that sucks. Clearly the problem is the existence of jobs.

My teammate just got a new job. He has to be there at 7:00. It's 75 miles away.

Enjoy those 10:45 starts bud.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I drive a little bit out of my way to play in a league that regularly schedules adult league games as early as 1:30pm and only has 1 game a season that is past 10pm. It is awesome playing at 3pm.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I like late starts, even if I have to get up early the next morning. Getting up kinda sucks, but I get over it fast enough. The advantage, from my point of view, is having the whole day available to do whatever else, be it errands, work, schoolwork, whatever. Plus I get to catch most if not all of whatever hockey game is on. So yeah, I agree: the existence of jobs/school is the problem, not the other way around.

Gio fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 23, 2012

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

xzzy posted:

Also:

This is awesome.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
I like the later games for the fact that I can go home, have dinner, drink a beer and take a nap. Early games right after work always suck because I'm just stretching my legs from a day at the desk, I feel.

This week our season starts. Thursday night at 8pm - perfect time. We play outside, though and our rink is at 10,000 feet elevation. And it's January. It's gonna be cold.

My physical therapist has cleared me for all activities which is great. No PCL in my left knee anymore but have a radical custom molded brace to help with any instabilities. Full-game trip report is forthcoming.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

WouldDesk posted:

Hockey tape? All the cool kids use these and listen to Dub Step.

Eww! Why! You're going to eat through that blade so fast! Plus, the rubber material is going to be hell in handling passes. A few of the kids I coach use it, I don't understand.

(I think you may be joking, but I don't know, so just go with it)

D C posted:

Additionally, defenders usually will have longer sticks to help with poke checks, while wingers and puckhandlers will use shorter sticks to give them more control. It really is preference though, I used a shorter stick throughout High School hockey even though I was a defender.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

Awesome Animals posted:

Eww! Why! You're going to eat through that blade so fast! Plus, the rubber material is going to be hell in handling passes. A few of the kids I coach use it, I don't understand.

Not to mention composite sticks have a tendency to chip on the toe of the blade. I usually end up taping the tip a few times before the rest of the blade to counter-act this problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...
Tape over the toe is key. It also helps to wrap a strip of tape along the bottom of the blade, and to wrap it tightly enough that you essentially get a double layer.