Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

ManPortable posted:

Weird. Just a couple days ago I saw that as an option whenever I came back to the search results page. Now I don't see it either.

Edit: and there you go!

And just to be clear, that article says it appears to have disappeared.

"Update: Google's Matt Cutts says that this could be a temporary issue. "The right people are looking at what needs to happen to re-enable this, but it might take some time.""

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Why is Chrome much worse at showing urls in the address/search bar that I've already been to than Firefox? For instance, if I want to go to the Wikipedia page that has all the episodes of Community (which I've been to before), on Firefox I'll start typing "list of community episodes," and by the time I've hit the c, it knows that's the page I want. Chrome doesn't do this nearly as well; it prioritizes searching much higher, even if I don't precede my input with a ?.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

randyest posted:

For some reason that cracked me right up. :golfclap: Then I noticed your name and then the phrase "wings akimbo" came to mind and I laughed again. Heh.

VeryStrangeThings please be sure to let us know how the contest goes and, if possible, post some pics of your disgusting sauce-slathered mug mid wing-destruction.

Taint me eating wings. I am, however, planning on completing a slider-eating challenge in the Spring or early Summer.
Competitive Eating: The Gooniest "Sport".

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

hooah posted:

Why is Chrome much worse at showing urls in the address/search bar that I've already been to than Firefox? For instance, if I want to go to the Wikipedia page that has all the episodes of Community (which I've been to before), on Firefox I'll start typing "list of community episodes," and by the time I've hit the c, it knows that's the page I want. Chrome doesn't do this nearly as well; it prioritizes searching much higher, even if I don't precede my input with a ?.

This question could be rephrased equally well as "why does Firefox always assume that what I wanted in the past is what I want now?"

Besides, you answered the question yourself: Chrome prioritizes searching and options, Firefox prioritizes past behavior and static preferences.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Besesoth posted:

This question could be rephrased equally well as "why does Firefox always assume that what I wanted in the past is what I want now?"

Besides, you answered the question yourself: Chrome prioritizes searching and options, Firefox prioritizes past behavior and static preferences.

Fair enough. That being said, is there anything I can do to make Chrome's address bar work more like Firefox's? I'd just switch to FF, but my netbook already struggles enough with Chrome, and I was under the impression that it's lighter on the resources.

overseerbrian
Jun 25, 2005

This was it. Thanks. I hope Google eventually re-enables it.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

Golbez posted:

Considered crazy by who? I mean, you can ask that about most politicians. Obviously at least 20% of primary voters are cool with him. I consider Rick Santorum crazier than Ron Paul, but for some reason I doubt anyone asks that question about him seriously.

Considered crazy by goons I guess since they're the only group of people I know who are familiar with him. I mostly wanted to know if he has adopted any different views but I guess the other responder answered that question.

I don't know anything about Rick Santorum, I will have to look that guy up.

Edit: :stare:

OilSlick fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 20, 2012

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know
Hmm, no answers on how to figure out how much these stupid china teacups are worth, which doesn't surprise me. But! I have another question.

The past couple of days my Gmail has been wonky. It won't load, so I go to the HTML version (which looks like rear end, but at least I can get my mail). Is this just a thing with me, or is it their problem? I guess I'm asking if anyone else has had any trouble, if I'm the only one I'll head to the Haus and see if they can assist me. If it's a problem a lot of people are having, I will wait it out and see if the big G fixes their poo poo.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Can anyone remember the name of some roots band in the 90s who did a version of "Froggy Went A-Courtin"? Google brings me no joy. The only additional clue I have is there was no bass on the recording (and possibly no bass player in the band).

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana
Did you try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frog_Went_A-Courting#Recordings ? Looks like there are a few candidates but I have no idea which it would be.

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

when worlds collide posted:

The past couple of days my Gmail has been wonky. It won't load, so I go to the HTML version (which looks like rear end, but at least I can get my mail). Is this just a thing with me, or is it their problem? I guess I'm asking if anyone else has had any trouble, if I'm the only one I'll head to the Haus and see if they can assist me. If it's a problem a lot of people are having, I will wait it out and see if the big G fixes their poo poo.
Tried clearing your cache?

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

torjus posted:

Tried clearing your cache?

Yes. Nada.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

excellent.... the plan may proceed...

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

when worlds collide posted:

Hmm, no answers on how to figure out how much these stupid china teacups are worth, which doesn't surprise me. But! I have another question.

I've been using Gmail in Chrome with no problems. I was also able to load it in Firefox, IE9, and IE9-compatibility-mode, which mimics... uh, IE 6, I think? The problem is almost definitely on your end.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I've heard a typical human generates about as much heat as a 100 Watt light bulb. How about a typical house plant?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

ShadowHawk posted:

I've heard a typical human generates about as much heat as a 100 Watt light bulb. How about a typical house plant?
I don't think houseplants generate any significant amount of heat. Unless you keep skunk cabbages indoors, in which case they generate a decent amount of heat, but way less than a mammal of comparable size.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Gravity Pike posted:

I've been using Gmail in Chrome with no problems. I was also able to load it in Firefox, IE9, and IE9-compatibility-mode, which mimics... uh, IE 6, I think? The problem is almost definitely on your end.

Thank you! Because of your post I figured out what the problem was. It was because of AdBlock which is odd as it's never interfered with Gmail before, which is why I didn't even think of it. In fact, half the time I forget I have it installed. I feel like an idjit but I'm so thankful that it's fixed that I don't care about said idjitcy.

Cheers.

skynix
Jul 6, 2005
I was in the grocery store the other day with my girlfriend, and she wanted to get some shrimp to make shrimp scampi. I told her we didn't have enough money to buy shrimp, so she talked me into paying for two really dubious looking bags of essentially "miscellaneous frozen seafood" that was on sale. It has squid tentacles, something called top shell (which is apparently sea-snail?), and tiny, tiny shrimp in it. We tried to make scampi with it a few days later, but it smelled terrible and turned the sauce a pepto-bismol color. We choked some of it down (her by dousing it in lemon juice and me by whipping up a quick homemade tartar sauce to dunk it in), but we still threw about a third of it in the trash.

Unfortunately, I still have a whole 'nother bag in the freezer. Any suggestions as to how I could cook it so it would be palatable?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

skynix posted:

I was in the grocery store the other day with my girlfriend, and she wanted to get some shrimp to make shrimp scampi. I told her we didn't have enough money to buy shrimp, so she talked me into paying for two really dubious looking bags of essentially "miscellaneous frozen seafood" that was on sale. It has squid tentacles, something called top shell (which is apparently sea-snail?), and tiny, tiny shrimp in it. We tried to make scampi with it a few days later, but it smelled terrible and turned the sauce a pepto-bismol color. We choked some of it down (her by dousing it in lemon juice and me by whipping up a quick homemade tartar sauce to dunk it in), but we still threw about a third of it in the trash.

Unfortunately, I still have a whole 'nother bag in the freezer. Any suggestions as to how I could cook it so it would be palatable?
Seafood paella? They throw all manner of poo poo in there.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hooah posted:

Fair enough. That being said, is there anything I can do to make Chrome's address bar work more like Firefox's? I'd just switch to FF, but my netbook already struggles enough with Chrome, and I was under the impression that it's lighter on the resources.

Chrome's making each tab into a separate process actually makes it less light on resources than Firefox. Apparently though ,Opera is the lightest on resources.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Install Gentoo posted:

Chrome's making each tab into a separate process actually makes it less light on resources than Firefox. Apparently though ,Opera is the lightest on resources.

A lot of the bad rap firefox gets for being a resource hog in due to extensions being poorly written. It's my understanding that the core application is actually quite efficient.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

OilSlick posted:

Considered crazy by goons I guess since they're the only group of people I know who are familiar with him. I mostly wanted to know if he has adopted any different views but I guess the other responder answered that question.

I don't know anything about Rick Santorum, I will have to look that guy up.

Edit: :stare:

hahaha it's like goatse for a new generation!

On the plus side for you OilSlick, at least now you can appreciate (be disgusted by) all of the horrible puns in headlines

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrjOLKRi7wg

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Got this alert on my blackberry this morning and I have no idea what it's for. Looks sorta like this.

What is it? Checked everything I can think of but it won't go away. A quick googling says it could be blackberry messenger related but I haven't even used that since I got the phone (and I lost/deleted the shortcut for it.)

Polio Vax Scene fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 20, 2012

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Manslaughter posted:

Got this alert on my blackberry this morning and I have no idea what it's for. Looks sorta like this.

What is it? Checked everything I can think of but it won't go away. A quick googling says it could be blackberry messenger related but I haven't even used that since I got the phone (and I lost/deleted the shortcut for it.)

It's Blackberry Messenger.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
I have a friend who is clinically diagnosed with schizophrenia/manic depressive disorder, but for some reason he's a pscyh major? Is there ANY way you can become a qualified therapist/psychologist with that kind of poo poo on your record? What are other career options with a psych major? High School Guidance counselor?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

cargo cult posted:

I have a friend who is clinically diagnosed with schizophrenia/manic depressive disorder, but for some reason he's a pscyh major? Is there ANY way you can become a qualified therapist/psychologist with that kind of poo poo on your record? What are other career options with a psych major? High School Guidance counselor?

Aren't most Psych majors either mentally ill or self-diagnosed with something? He sounds like he has a promising career ahead of him. :suicide:

Non Sequitur
Apr 22, 2007
A queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples
There's a site that automates installing standard new-computer downloadable stuff (Chrome/iTunes/an mkvplayer/Open Office/etc). Anyone remember what it is?

e: derp, ninite.com, thanks page 320.

Non Sequitur fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 21, 2012

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

cargo cult posted:

Clinical psychiatry and counseling aren't the only things a psychology degree is good for. Anecdote: Many of the people I know who did psychology did it because they thought it was "easy." Many others did it just to get the degree so they could go on to get a B.Ed. or something. Psychologists are scientists. Some people go on from there onto grad school and hook electrodes onto the brains of rats and poo poo. Maybe he hopes to understand the human brain better so that he can better cope with his illness? Maybe he wants to become a researcher to help find better treatments for these disorders?

Also: Yes this guy has schizophrenia and depression, but as long as he's receiving adequate treatment he'll be a fully functional member of society. Some of your teachers and counselors may be medicated depressive schizophrenics, you know.

Question for the thread:
If most symptoms of many common illnesses (fever, coughing, sneezing, runny nose, inflammation, diarrhea, etc) are immune responses that fight against infection, does taking medication that suppress these symptoms inhibit your body's ability to get rid of the infection?

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 21, 2012

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
My question was mostly are you inherently disqualified from being a practicing therapist due to mental health conditions. Also I have to take issue with the idea of Psychologists as scientists, Psychiatrists are MDs, hence them allowed to have prescription pads, I have no loving idea what they train psych majors in but it's not science.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

cargo cult posted:

My question was mostly are you inherently disqualified from being a practicing therapist due to mental health conditions. Also I have to take issue with the idea of Psychologists as scientists, Psychiatrists are MDs, hence them allowed to have prescription pads, I have no loving idea what they train psych majors in but it's not science.

:raise:

Psychologists do research and therapeutic work, as well as corporate gigs. They don't get scrip pads but if they're in counseling they usually have an MD who will sign off to whatever they think is the likeliest med for their patients.

There is no broad disqualification for mental illnesses across the board. To paraphrase Forrest Gump "crazy is as crazy does," and a lot of pre-employment screening is intended to catch people who fit a pattern of mental illness.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Sounds like your friend isn't the only one with mental health industry issues.

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

I bought a groupon for my dad for his birthday. It has really big on the front the amount I paid for it and the last four of my credit card and the value of the deal which I find incredibly tacky. Is there an option somewhere to get rid of that? Alternately, will they still take it if I edit it to make it less tacky?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How did the idea of cooking food catch on for early humans when every other living thing ate stuff raw?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Avocados posted:

How did the idea of cooking food catch on for early humans when every other living thing ate stuff raw?

Nobody really knows. Cooking is obviously advantageous for a number of reasons. It makes things taste better, makes most edible things easier to eat, renders some inedible things edible, and destroys parasites and microbes as well as a number of toxic compounds found in plants. At some point way back in pre-history someone figured out that heating your food up just works better.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Mak0rz posted:

Question for the thread:
If most symptoms of many common illnesses (fever, coughing, sneezing, runny nose, inflammation, diarrhea, etc) are immune responses that fight against infection, does taking medication that suppress these symptoms inhibit your body's ability to get rid of the infection?

Yes and no. Those symptoms are body's way of removing the disease from your system. However, excluding fevers, many of those symptoms are also used by the virus itself in an effort to contaminate other hosts.

That said, preventing increased mucus production, or preventing your body from expelling waste from its intestines could increase the duration of your sickness.

My doctor has always said if you have a fever, let it run its course and monitor your temperature to make sure you aren't in danger of dying. If you have a cough, take an expectorant only to get the crap out of your lungs. Drink plenty of fluids, get plenty of rest, and exercise moderately if you can handle it. This will generally decrease the duration of your illness.

The caveat is, do this only if you are able to stay home alone. If you have to work and interact with other people, do us a favor and try to suppress your symptoms while you're in contact with the public to avoid infecting others.

At least, that's my opinion. I'm not a doctor or anything.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

greazeball posted:

Sounds like your friend isn't the only one with mental health industry issues.
Yeah, I'm crazy for not accepting psychology as science, well played bro.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Yes and no.

Neat. Thanks for the info.

cargo cult posted:

Also I have to take issue with the idea of Psychologists as scientists, Psychiatrists are MDs, hence them allowed to have prescription pads...

What? Are you serious? Yes, psychiatrists are essentially MDs. Psychologists are scientists. They perform real scientific research using real scientific methods in real scientific labs and publish their work in real scientific journals. Psychology is the scientific study of the brain. Psychiatry is medically applied psychology. Is that difficult to grasp? You even mentioned both distinct terms in your post.

cargo cult posted:

I have no loving idea what they train psych majors in but it's not science.

:ssh: Many places offer psychology degrees as either a BA or a BSc. Guess which one of those two programs has simulation and practical labs, journal discussion, and statistics courses.

EDIT:

cargo cult posted:

Yeah, I'm crazy for not accepting psychology as science, well played bro.

gently caress you are dumb.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 21, 2012

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
Am I seriously being ganged up on and called "loving dumb" for thinking psychology is totally outside the realm of science? :psyduck:

Mak0rz posted:

Psychology is the scientific study of the brain.
I was always under the impression that neuroscience is the scientific study of the brain, but I guess thinking that all women secretly desire their fathers cock and resent them for having penises is much more scientific. I didn't even think therapists attempt to pass off what they do as scientific, let alone equivalent to actual health care. There's probably a reason insurance never covers therapy but will cover Stratera/Zoloft/Depakote/whatever.

edit: that was glib, but you're an rear end in a top hat anyway. Do you really consider yourself on the same level as a physics, comp sci, oceanography, geology, biology major?

cargo cult fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 21, 2012

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
There's a lot more overlap in the fields (of neuroscience and psychology) than you're acknowledging and there's a lot more to psychology research than psychoanalysis, which doesn't even exist in the form you're describing it anymore.

Psychologist can be used for both researchers and therapists and counselors, though.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Well it sounds like you've made up your mind already but if your judement of the field is based off theories that are 90 years old and long since abandoned you should reconsider. Current psychological research published in reputable journals has rigor and applicability, so I think you should at least read up before being so dismissive.

Also, to clarify: psychiatrists are literally mds (or dos) who have completed a residency in psychiatry. Medication decisions are solely their purview, though plenty of them can perform the same therapies that psychologists do.

Edit2: also plenty of insurers cover therapy when it has been demonstrated to be clinically effective: phobias, anxiety disorders including PTSD, GAD, acute stress disorder, panic disorder, etc. I'm not sure where your dismissive attitude comes from but it's probably misinformed.

El_Elegante fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 21, 2012