Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I finally tried stacking amazon and best buy codes. Here are my results.

You cannot use two Amazon or two Best Buy copies on the same account.
You can use one of each on the same account.
You get bonus costume armor and store points from Amazon, Best Buy gives some points and some lame equip item. I think Amazon might also give you an action figure.

So yeah, that's that. Now where can I find some Walmart copies to buy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The power tutorial looks pretty handy; I'll admit the energy system and such aren't immediately obvious if you're new. The voice acting is the usual ChampO hilaribad though, if anyone was worried about being disappointed there. :razz:

Cindare
Dec 20, 2006

Light Gun Man posted:

So yeah, that's that. Now where can I find some Walmart copies to buy?

I went to Fry's Electronics (a big box retailer) hoping to find the elusive stacking retail game. While it didn't stack, it did unlock the Walmart perk. So try a specialty/independent electronics stores and see what happens.

Cindare
Dec 20, 2006
It looks like the developers are off their TOR binge after all. Earth is officially here.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Looking at alternate boxed copies to buy again, and I find out that Gamestop had pre-order bonuses of it's own, and their website lists the game at 8 dollars. It says they are out of stock, but the "check my nearby stores" thing says they all have low stock and I can have them send copies to the store for me to pick up. Not sure if I believe any of that, but next time I have 15~ bucks to blow I'll call em up and ask if they have any I guess. Apparently it comes with an exclusive travel power, I wonder if it's just rocket boots or what?

Also, how about that new patch? New powerhouse seems like mostly an upgrade, and the new mission marker stuff is alright. Still have the stupid zoomed in all the way / bags opening up when loading a zone bugs though.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

an exclusive travel power

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdDMrncAy4U

Cindare
Dec 20, 2006
I like the mission change stuff. Highlighting primary missions is now a one-button deal, which is especially good for grouping. The "go this way" arrow is generally helpful too.

The Earth set isn't updated on the official wiki yet. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with Lohr being banned from the forums or what. I guess I'll have to load up the PTS if I want to see how well it works.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Cindare posted:

It looks like the developers are off their TOR binge after all. Earth is officially here.
Hooray! There's a bunch of UI improvements and a complete change to the powerhouse too, just to reiterate for someone who isn't reading the thread. It's a shame they didn't mention that on the calendar, it really is pretty drastic.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge

It really does. It's slower than walking.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Mewnie posted:

It really does. It's slower than walking.

The only thing this is useful for is exploring the tutorial area, and even then there's a height limit on how far you can go up using the boots(based on your starting point from the ground) so you have to do some weird things to get anywhere interesting. And there's not really anywhere interesting.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cindare posted:

The Earth set isn't updated on the official wiki yet. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with Lohr being banned from the forums or what.

That was for like 3 days a month ago.

It's not up yet because the wiki is slow as hell.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, the wiki's always been pretty poo poo. Which is a shame, there's a lot of stuff in game that needs better documentation, but at least things like powers are easy enough to check in the game.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Is there a costume contest coming up soon? I'll be back to silver at the end of the month, so my new 40 could probably drop 50g or something into the pool before I get locked out of it until next time I bother paying for gold.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Probably not for a while. Too few playing regularly right now with TOR out.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Alright, I'll just hang onto it or sink it into costume unlocks then.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Way to drop the ball, Asimo!

Some big changes coming soon.

First, no more 2 Superstats. Instead you have a primary, and 2 secondaries (Chosen at 10 and 15.) Primary continues to do the same thing it always did, while secondaries provide only a 40 stat boost at 40 and a lesser damage bonus.

Ame posted:

This change is being done for several reasons. One reason is to make it easier and more desirable to diversify your stats. Another big one is to support some upcoming changes that will be going live with this change, but aren't ready for PTS yet. We'll be introducing a new form of character customization (in the power sense, not the visual sense) that will have interactions with Primary and Secondary stats. We'll also be changing the way Super Stats work, so that instead of always granting (for example) 32% Damage, they'll do different things depending on which role you are in. As a DPS character, they might grant 32% Damage AND 16% Threat Reduction. Being in the Support role might add 16% Damage and 32% Healing. The specifics are still being finalized, but those changes will be going up over the coming weeks.

Tier 2 and 3 out of set power requirements have been dropped from 5 to 4, and 8 to 6 respectively. Tier 1 remains unchanged, and in set remains unchanged.

Tier 4s no longer require 10 powers from the framework or completing Vibora. Now you just need to be 35, and you can only pick one Tier 4.

Tunneling can jump.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 21, 2012

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Way to drop the ball, Asimo!
D... drat you! drat you! :negative:

quote:

Some big changes coming soon.

First, no more 2 Superstats. Instead you have a primary, and 2 secondaries (Chosen at 10 and 15.) Primary continues to do the same thing it always did, while secondaries provide only a 40 stat boost at 40 and a lesser damage bonus.

Tier 2 and 3 out of set power requirements have been dropped from 5 to 4, and 8 to 6 respectively. Tier 1 remains unchanged, and in set remains unchanged.

Tier 4s no longer require 10 powers from the framework or completing Vibora. Now you just need to be 35, and you can only pick one Tier 4.

Tunneling can jump.
Hmm. Not entirely sure on the superstat thing, but more because it'd be annoying to reitemize an older character. In the long run it's probably better though; almost everyone winds up with a third major stat, even if it's something like End or Con. The additional modifiers sound faintly worrying though, since as it is several stats are pretty objectively better than others, but it'll all depend on the final numbers anyway.

The level requirement change is probably good; makes doing a hybrid character at low/mid levels a lot easier. As it is you sort of wind up going down one tree until the late teens to get decent powers, then filling out the other later.

And even with jumping, tunneling remains useless unless they remove the activation time. :colbert:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The additional stats tie in to your superstat damage bonus, not the actual stats themselves.

If you're in healer stance, every stat will give you 30% healing, not just specific ones.

They already significantly reduced the tunneling cast time.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Oh, also adding to that, they're planning to change the functionality of some stats. The example they gave was that DEX will no longer influence Critical Severity, making it effectively operate like it did before the Ego Blades pass. On the other hand, EGO now no longer has any effect on criticals; neither severity or chance. Instead, you will have a higher base critical severity that can be further increased by taking specialized items. EGO is essentially planned to transform into a ranged STR; it will buff ranged attacks up to a 20% limit based on how much you've got. Related to that, the STR and EGO damage percent buffs based off of this are no longer a hard cap; if you stat either one a lot, you will be able to get above a 20% buff.

Ame posted:

You'll also be seeing changes to the Stats themselves, and to Roles, in the upcoming weeks. An example of those changes - Dexterity is going back to the old way it worked, just providing Crit Chance and Aggro Stealth. At the same time, Ego will no longer provide Crit Chance or Crit Severity - it will now be providing a Ranged Damage bonus, similar to how Strength provides a Melee Damage bonus. How that bonus works for both of them is also being changed to a soft cap at 20%, instead of the hard cap currently in place. Crit Severity will be set to a higher base percentage, and increasing it will no longer come directly from stats.

Roles are being reviewed at this time as well, to go along with all of these changes. /EDIT
-Ame

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Since it's the first anniversary of the game going F2P, they're doing another sale; 20% off most things in the C-store, along with double XP buffs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So that's the whole "event"?

Gonna take more than that, Cryptic. The Republic needs me.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Is it just me, or is the newbie zone now sterile as all hell? I guess I played in beta or something when the newbie zones were Canada and Area 52 or whatever, but it's just endless sewer missions now.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

angerbeet posted:

Is it just me, or is the newbie zone now sterile as all hell? I guess I played in beta or something when the newbie zones were Canada and Area 52 or whatever, but it's just endless sewer missions now.

Well they had to add a whole new sets of missions without adding a new map. You mix up the sewers with Canada, and on the whole everything feels more streamlined.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
I haven't run the new newbie missions yet, but given how boring and linear the Canada and Desert missions got, I don't think they could get much worse. At least if they sped it up a bit it wouldn't be quite as bad.

I might run through the new newbie zone next time I get around to booting this up to see the changes.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
You're in the West End of Millenium City, beating up on the same gangsters in featureless warehouses. Again and again!

It's terrible, the desert and Canada situations were far better.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The desert crisis was moved to the teens so that it flows right into the desert quests around that level. And Canada was always kind of a weird outlier, though they probably should have done the same with it so it lead into the early 20's quests there. I can totally see why they redid it some, even if "gangsters in warehouses" is kind of boring as poo poo, yeah.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

angerbeet posted:

You're in the West End of Millenium City, beating up on the same gangsters in featureless warehouses. Again and again!

It's terrible, the desert and Canada situations were far better.

I guess they could find a way to make the intro more boring. :psyduck:

Are Canada and the Desert just in addition to what quests used to be around that level, or have they replaced what used to be there?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Think of it in-character. You start off as an in-town low level hero beating up on gangs.

Although that doesn't really excuse the sameness of warehouses, but I feel like it was already that was beforehand too. Is that police station and Little Italy area new? I don't remember those being there before.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can still do Canada.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
So they moved the fast and easy of the two old crises and left Canada as an option? That sucks, unless the new one is even easier to drill through quickly, the Desert at least went by quickly in its horrible repetitiveness.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

sentrygun posted:

So they moved the fast and easy of the two old crises and left Canada as an option? That sucks, unless the new one is even easier to drill through quickly, the Desert at least went by quickly in its horrible repetitiveness.

So your complaining something is repetitive due to the fact you have done it so many times.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Uh, yeah, I guess that was a bad choice of words. For a game that encourages making new characters all the time though, there really should be more stuff to start out with, even if it tapers off not long after.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

sentrygun posted:

Uh, yeah, I guess that was a bad choice of words. For a game that encourages making new characters all the time though, there really should be more stuff to start out with, even if it tapers off not long after.

They build certain quests more for a story so the bosses make sense now in the non crises zones.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hey people, tell Shr3d (^ That guy ^) he's dumb.

He made a character with a good costume. Retro/Golden Age kind of thing, flies like Banshee with wind powers and underarm wings.

He named it Wind Glider. This is dumb. Tell him it's dumb to name your character after their primary mode of transportation.

He may have changed it by now. If so, tell whaaaat he's dumb for thinking of it.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I demand screenshots of this costume before I go into saying how dumb or not dumb its name is. :colbert:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Asimo posted:

I demand screenshots of this costume before I go into saying how dumb or not dumb its name is. :colbert:

A good costume does not make a dumb name good.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Aphrodite posted:

Hey people, tell Shr3d (^ That guy ^) he's dumb.

He made a character with a good costume. Retro/Golden Age kind of thing, flies like Banshee with wind powers and underarm wings.

He named it Wind Glider. This is dumb. Tell him it's dumb to name your character after their primary mode of transportation.

He may have changed it by now. If so, tell whaaaat he's dumb for thinking of it.

Why? What's different about naming yourself after your primary mode of transportation rather than after a small animal or just being some super generic "Super Man"

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Seems about on the same level as naming yourself after your power, especially when your power is heavily related to your travel method (wind in this case).

Superhero names are made to be cheesy and silly, it's just their thing.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Edit: Never mind, this game is terrible I'm going to just uninstall it. Between the control/camera scheme, really terrible voice acting, and even worse storyline it's just not something I can dig.

I did enjoy creating my character though, that was neat.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can make it behave that way.