Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Sporadic posted:

Looks like they knocked it out of the park

Except the cover. :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

kaujot posted:

Uh, well, it's all listed on Criterion's site, but in any case, it's a very solid package.

Edit: http://www.criterion.com/films/404-repulsion
Ok, thanks.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

Sporadic posted:

I rented it awhile back. It's on par with most of Criterion's Blu-Rays (as it is loving amazing and if you are a fan, it is a must buy)
Ok, great. I've never actually seen the movie, although I have seen "Knife In The Water", and loved it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

kaujot posted:

Except the cover. :barf:

I've seen a photo of a different cover that matches the other 100th anniversary slips and it looks considerably better.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Usual Suspects is down to $6.99 on Amazon after you clip the $3 coupon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B00000F214

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Sporadic posted:

Some really cool news for horror fans.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/01/hammer-teams-with-studiocanal-others-for-major-restoration-of-film-library/
[/quote]

This made me really excited but at this point it looks like they are to be region locked. I'm really loving tired of this poo poo. Are there any recommended region-free blu-ray players out there at this point that don't cost an arm and a leg? I'd be willing to spend up to $250 for one. I love my PS3 as it's updated constantly and I've never had any problems but it would be nice to be able to just watch movies that I want to when I want.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

morestuff posted:

Edit: This Kubrick set is also amazingly cheap. I already have the Alien Anthology - is there anything else I should check out that's a huge steal?

This Kurbick set arrived last Friday; It really is a nice set, very well presented with a cool little book.

Space 2001 was absolutely stunning to watch and is probably the one movie I will use to show people what Blu Ray can look like. The omission of Dr. Strangelove hurts a little bit but this set is really bloody nice.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
This is Echo Bridge so you should proceed with caution but these just popped up for preorder.

April 17th - $20.99 ($3.50 a movie)

Fast Action Set (eXistenZ/B. Monkey/Ordinary Decent Criminal/Albino Alligator/Malevolent/People I Know) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B006ZL1POI

High Powered Action Vol. 1 (The Yards/No Code Of Conduct/The Lookout/Hidden Assassin/Equilibrium/Supercop) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B006ZL1PAM

Masters Of Terror Vol. 2 (Phantoms/Halloween: Curse Of Michael Myers/Hellraiser: Hellseeker/Darkness/Venom/Cursed) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B006ZL1PR0

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 23, 2012

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just a reminder that there's a ton of essential movies coming out tomorrow...

Wings (1927, William A. Wellman)
Rebecca (1940, Alfred Hitchcock)
Spellbound (1945, Alfred Hitchcock)
Notorious (1946, Alfred Hitchcock)
Godzilla (1954, Ishiro Honda)
The Apartment (1960, Billy Wilder) CANADA ONLY
Midnight Cowboy (1969, John Schlesinger) CANADA ONLY
Annie Hall (1977, Woody Allen)
Manhattan (1979, Woody Allen)

Dr.Cthulhu
Jan 19, 2005

Earache! Earache!
Cthulhu Fatigue!

Egbert Souse posted:

Just a reminder that there's a ton of essential movies coming out tomorrow...

Wings (1927, William A. Wellman)
Rebecca (1940, Alfred Hitchcock)
Spellbound (1945, Alfred Hitchcock)
Notorious (1946, Alfred Hitchcock)
Godzilla (1954, Ishiro Honda)
The Apartment (1960, Billy Wilder) CANADA ONLY
Annie Hall (1977, Woody Allen)
Manhattan (1979, Woody Allen)

I picked up Wings, Manhattan and The Apartment the other day (I work part time at a indie video store) and I can say that The Apartment and Manhattan look fantastic. Worth the upgrade from the DVDs. Wings also looks pretty drat good all things considered.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Egbert Souse posted:

Is this a major upgrade from the existing edition?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

For those on the fence about Wings,
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Wings-Blu-ray/33615/#Screenshots

caiman posted:

Is this a major upgrade from the existing edition?

Yes... the first DVD was non-anamorphic and poorly authored, the remaster was interlaced.

MGM generally has an excellent track record for catalog titles, except for occasional hiccups like The Greatest Story Ever Told and Robocop.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Egbert Souse posted:

Yes... the first DVD was non-anamorphic and poorly authored, the remaster was interlaced.

MGM generally has an excellent track record for catalog titles, except for occasional hiccups like The Greatest Story Ever Told and Robocop.

Is the current Robocop blu-ray lovely or was that a previous edition?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Egbert Souse posted:

That second shot looks straight out of DVDbeaver, then I went to DVDbeaver and was surprised not to see it there.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Egbert Souse posted:

Actually I meant the Blu-ray.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Is the current Robocop blu-ray lovely or was that a previous edition?

From what I can find, there has only been one edition plus a box set with the sequels. I recall it being heavily filtered, but this Blu-Ray.com review indicates it's quite good despite leaving off all the extras from the DVD.

caiman posted:

Actually I meant the Blu-ray.

Oh, I thought you meant as an upgrade from DVD.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Egbert Souse posted:

From what I can find, there has only been one edition plus a box set with the sequels. I recall it being heavily filtered, but this Blu-Ray.com review indicates it's quite good despite leaving off all the extras from the DVD.

This is actually the version I was wondering about. There was a previous Robocop Blu-ray that apparently went out of print quickly because it had a lovely transfer. I just wanted to make sure those issues didn't carry over to this one because I plan on buying it.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Wow if anyone is on the fence, check out this little video blurb on Wings from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permalink/m1JYFKM1EXC13S/ref=ent_fb_link

I am definitely picking this flick up tomorrow--it looks incredible!

Dr.Cthulhu
Jan 19, 2005

Earache! Earache!
Cthulhu Fatigue!

mod sassinator posted:

Wow if anyone is on the fence, check out this little video blurb on Wings from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permalink/m1JYFKM1EXC13S/ref=ent_fb_link

I am definitely picking this flick up tomorrow--it looks incredible!

Do yourselves a favor and watch this. I can't wait to pop it on tonight.

Esseb
Jun 29, 2008
Is there any official or verified information on what region the Wings Blu-Ray has?

Amazon has it down as "Region 1", Blu-ray.com has "Region A (B, C untested)", while DVD Beaver claims "Region FREE".

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Esseb posted:

Is there any official or verified information on the region of Wings?

Amazon has it down as "Region 1", Blu-ray.com has "Region A (B, C untested)", while DVD Beaver claims "Region FREE".

Amazon copies the data straight from the DVD, Blu-Ray.com depends on user reports regarding region code and Gary has the equipment to tell whether a disc is region free or locked (so if he says it is, there is a 99.9% chance it is)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Masters of Cinema confirmed a bunch of titles for March-June!

Double Indemnity (Universal has a R1 edition this summer)
The Lost Weekend
Ugetsu/Oyu Sama
Sansho the Bailiff/Gion Bayashi
Ruggles of Red Gap
Lifeboat (plus Bon Voyage and Adventure Maglache)

They also confirmed they obtained the rights to The Passion of Joan of Arc. It should be out in 2013.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

The Lost Weekend

At first I read that as The Long Weekend and was kindof excited.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Sporadic posted:

The preorder for Monty Python & The Holy Grail dropped down to $12.99 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0016492BW

March 6th release date and includes an ULTRAVIOLET copy

- edit

The Digital Bits posted:

Also, there will apparently be some newly-created special features that were not mentioned in our Friday post.

New details.

quote:

Also debuting on March 6 is the first Monty Python interactive iPad app. "The Holy Book of Days" is a rich companion to the film, letting fans explore each of the 28 days of the filming of the movie through outtakes, diaries, audio recordings, scripts, and scores of stills. New illustrations, animations, and the story of the filming in the Pythons' own words make each day of the Holy Grail come alive. The app offers a second screen experience too, letting users control and navigate the Blu-ray from the iPad. "The Holy Book of Days" will be available for $4.99 in the App Store. For a limited time, Sony is offering a $5 mail-in rebate when consumers purchase both the Blu-ray and iPad app.

Blu-ray Exclusive:

- The Film re-mastered to high definition standards never before seen
- The Holy Book of Days Second Screen Experience
- Lost Animations with introduction by Terry Gilliam
- Outtakes & Extended Scenes with introduction by Terry Jones

Blu-ray Features:
- Scintillating commentaries by Terry Gilliam & Terry Jones and even more revealing commentaries by John Cleese, Eric Idle & Michael Palin
- Quest for the Holy Grail Locations with Michael Palin & Terry Jones
- Lego Knights: The Knights of the Round Table in Lego
- Special Japanese Version
- How To Use Your Coconuts (an educational film)
- BBC Film Night on location
- Three Songs to sing-along
- Cast Directory Photo Gallery

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Egbert Souse posted:

Masters of Cinema confirmed a bunch of titles for March-June!

Double Indemnity (Universal has a R1 edition this summer)
The Lost Weekend
Ugetsu/Oyu Sama
Sansho the Bailiff/Gion Bayashi
Ruggles of Red Gap
Lifeboat (plus Bon Voyage and Adventure Maglache)

They also confirmed they obtained the rights to The Passion of Joan of Arc. It should be out in 2013.

Sorry to ask a question I'm sure has been asked a lot, but are the MoC blu-rays region locked?

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

caiman posted:

Sorry to ask a question I'm sure has been asked a lot, but are the MoC blu-rays region locked?

Looking at metropolis and mad detective I can't see any region icons at least.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

bat duck posted:

Looking at metropolis and mad detective I can't see any region icons at least.

Metropolis is region locked, Don't know about the others (Sunrise was region free so it does vary).

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Whoa... whoa whoa whoa whoa, wait a minute?

CRITERION GODZILLA?? Instant buy on pay day.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Vintersorg posted:

Whoa... whoa whoa whoa whoa, wait a minute?

CRITERION GODZILLA?? Instant buy on pay day.

I don't understand why this hasn't been getting more attention.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

caiman posted:

They go region free whenever possible, but I think all of the new announcements are locked due to studio mandates. Criterion ran into the same problem and opts to lock all releases just to be fair.

So far, MoC's only region free releases are Sunrise, Mad Detective, Tokyo Sonata, Une femme mariee, Soul Power (OOP), City Girl, The World, Le silence de la mer, and Punishment Park.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
Any news or odds that The Apartment blu-ray will get ported to the US? I'm sure it's the same region but I think CA dollar is a little stronger than US dollar.

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/01/hammer-teams-with-studiocanal-others-for-major-restoration-of-film-library/

This made me really excited but at this point it looks like they are to be region locked. I'm really loving tired of this poo poo. Are there any recommended region-free blu-ray players out there at this point that don't cost an arm and a leg? I'd be willing to spend up to $250 for one. I love my PS3 as it's updated constantly and I've never had any problems but it would be nice to be able to just watch movies that I want to when I want.

Yeah, I'm wondering this too. Not Sherwoods, because I've heard they go bad and make whirring noises and try to talk to you in some click-click language after awhile.

I don't think there is and affordable, good region free blu-ray player. I've heard you go make PS3 go region free for blu-rays, not games, and I don't remember much about it anyway but it might be :filez: to talk about it.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Egbert Souse posted:

Criterion ran into the same problem and opts to lock all releases just to be fair.

gently caress them for that. Seriously, they could have at least kept some of them region free.

Seriously jealous of the Criterion series, if you hadn't noticed.

About a year ago I heard Friedkin was working on the Bluray for Sorcerer but I haven't heard anything since... Anybody know if it's just a pipe-dream at this point?

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

Dissapointed Owl posted:

gently caress them for that. Seriously, they could have at least kept some of them region free.

I'll agree with that. I got a blu-ray player for the pc in my living room that's connected to my TV, and set that to region A. But it (PowerDVD?) suddenly won't read any discs and I'm stuck with 10+ Criterions and other movies/shows I could only get on region A that I cant even watch.

Anybody know of any reliable, free, Blu-ray playing software out there? Preferably free because I don't want to buy lots of different ones that don't work. Tried DAPlayer, that didn't work on any of the movies I tried.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

bat duck posted:

I'll agree with that. I got a blu-ray player for the pc in my living room that's connected to my TV, and set that to region A. But it (PowerDVD?) suddenly won't read any discs and I'm stuck with 10+ Criterions and other movies/shows I could only get on region A that I cant even watch.

Anybody know of any reliable, free, Blu-ray playing software out there? Preferably free because I don't want to buy lots of different ones that don't work. Tried DAPlayer, that didn't work on any of the movies I tried.

Can't VLC play them? I don't have a br drive but I know I've seen a friend watching them with it.

\/\/\/ e: sorry, they can play the .m2ts files on your disc I don't think the menus work.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 25, 2012

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

Lizard Combatant posted:

Can't VLC play them? I don't have a br drive but I know I've seen a friend watching them with it.

I haven't gotten it to work at. There might be some workaround that I don't know about though.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Dissapointed Owl posted:

About a year ago I heard Friedkin was working on the Bluray for Sorcerer but I haven't heard anything since... Anybody know if it's just a pipe-dream at this point?

Actually, I think Criterion did the right thing by making it a non-issue whether anything was coded differently. Only Svensk Filmindustri, Sony, and iTV Studios seem to be the major licensors not demanding it.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Egbert Souse posted:

Actually, I think Criterion did the right thing by making it a non-issue whether anything was coded differently.

Why not? What's the advantage of keeping the few releases that they can release region-free, region locked?

Egbert Souse posted:

Only Svensk Filmindustri, Sony, and iTV Studios seem to be the major licensors not demanding it.

This doesn't seem right, as many European releases are in fact region free and from way more publishers (or studios or what have you) than the ones you mention.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I don't know if it's true or not, but it doesn't matter because if Friedkin is hands on, the transfer will suck poo poo because he is retarded.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Any news or odds that The Apartment blu-ray will get ported to the US? I'm sure it's the same region but I think CA dollar is a little stronger than US dollar.

The Apartment is a US release, Amazon just doesn't have it for some strange reason. DVDEmpire has it, people have reported finding it in US Barnes & Nobles, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

sportsgenius86 posted:

I don't know if it's true or not, but it doesn't matter because if Friedkin is hands on, the transfer will suck poo poo because he is retarded.

I don't know. He seems to have taken the criticism of The French Connections's horrid transfer to heart, because he oversaw The Exorcist's transfer which was fine.

• Locked thread