Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Unless those bids are bogus that guy is cleaning up on his GTs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Sir Tonk posted:

Not to detract from that amazing collection, but here is an example of how to alienate half of your potential buyer pool:

gmc swb truck (texas)

I'm not sure if the guys that are into that type of vehicle would be put off by that. Hell they are probably glad they don't have to figure out where to get on made and applied their sweet rear end new Texas mobile.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Sir Tonk posted:

Not to detract from that amazing collection, but here is an example of how to alienate half of your potential buyer pool:

gmc swb truck (texas)

The guy's selling in Texas. You state, the place that thinks GWB and Rick Perry are governor material...

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Between this and an SVO I'd be set for life. God I'm such a dork.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Between this and an SVO I'd be set for life. God I'm such a dork.

Two non running cars for life!

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Elephanthead posted:

Unless those bids are bogus that guy is cleaning up on his GTs.

Not really. MSRP for those was $140k.
He would have done better leaving the money in the stock market, even with the crash.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Tai-Pan posted:

Not really. MSRP for those was $140k.
He would have done better leaving the money in the stock market, even with the crash.

I'd be pretty surprised if a guy buying a dozen Ford GTs paid MSRP for all of them.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Lord Gaga posted:

I'd be pretty surprised if a guy buying a dozen Ford GTs paid MSRP for all of them.

Considering there was a waiting list and people were paying over MSRP then, ya, I am pretty sure he paid at least MSRP. Probably more. Volume discounts only apply when there is more supply than demand.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Tai-Pan posted:

Considering there was a waiting list and people were paying over MSRP then, ya, I am pretty sure he paid at least MSRP. Probably more. Volume discounts only apply when there is more supply than demand.

Not to mention taxes on all those vehicles plus storage in what looks like a heated garage and the lifts themselves. Even if he bought them at MSRP it's still less than a 10% gross over 7 years which is also hilariously bad for over a million dollars in cars. He probably lost more money in inflation than he's earned. But then, cars should not be investments, especially new cars. The same thing happened in the late 80's as well which is why I think it was last year there was a guy selling an 88 Trans Am in the plastic or maybe it was a turbo Vette or something.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

djdanno13 posted:

The same thing happened in the late 80's as well which is why I think it was last year there was a guy selling an 88 Trans Am in the plastic or maybe it was a turbo Vette or something.

It was an old ZR1, I think. He did a great job preserving it. But other than Gran Nationals and maybe the Turbo Trans Ams, there isn't much from the mid-70's on that is worth more than what it cost new (The F40 doesn't count). Even the Typhoon/Syclone and DMC-12 aren't worth all that much at this point and those were really drat unique cars.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Well he didn't pay sales tax because they are for resale. According to the internets $1 would have grown to $1.14 if invested in the S and P 500 from Jan 1 2006 to December 31, 2011. He would have made 14% in equities. If he can average $172,500 for these he will have been better off. This ignores storage costs and lift costs as it looks like that is his garage for toys anyway and would have spent the money even without all the GTs. I would also assume the he only bought them from dealers that couldn't sell them and would not have paid an inflated price. 2006 didn't see full production as the units stopped selling. If he would have bought 2.25 million in gold in 2006 he would currently have 6.96 million bucks worth.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

Well he didn't pay sales tax because they are for resale. According to the internets $1 would have grown to $1.14 if invested in the S and P 500 from Jan 1 2006 to December 31, 2011. He would have made 14% in equities. If he can average $172,500 for these he will have been better off. This ignores storage costs and lift costs as it looks like that is his garage for toys anyway and would have spent the money even without all the GTs. I would also assume the he only bought them from dealers that couldn't sell them and would not have paid an inflated price. 2006 didn't see full production as the units stopped selling. If he would have bought 2.25 million in gold in 2006 he would currently have 6.96 million bucks worth.

This is why I love AI.

The sad thing about gold is you can't drive it.

(Knows he will be proven wrong in under 20 minutes).

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

extreme_accordion posted:

This is why I love AI.

The sad thing about gold is you can't drive it.

(Knows he will be proven wrong in under 20 minutes).

How much gold we talking?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Hey baby wanna ride in mah Beemer? :smug:
http://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/Search/DRauSearchDetails.aspx?itemid=1123260
Some fun stuff on here including a million dollar M1
and this cheapo Ferrari
http://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/Search/DRauSearchDetails.aspx?itemid=1123532

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 20, 2012

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Standing still going 15mph, too!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
So Barrett Jackson's auction in Scottsdale is going on now and there are a lot of cool cars and some drat nice deals. I always thought these auctions were nothing but mega buck show cars, but there's a ton of old and modern stuff in various states.

Of the stuff that's sold here are a few that seem like bargains to me:

1979 Mercedes Benz 450SEL 6.9 sold for $3,850. For the price this is a drat good deal IMHO. The car looks like a little rough by Barrett Jackson standards (but pretty drat clean compared to most craigslist crap). I wouldn't think twice about picking that thing up for just under $4k.

1972 Ford Ranchero sold for $7,425. It's not a super desirable car or engine, but the car is very nicely restored. I bet the owner sunk a lot more than $7k into restoring the car. It looks great and would be a fun as hell driver for the price.

1951 Pontiac Chieftan sold for $6,600. Six grand for a beautiful hunk of 50's iron--drat I am jealous.

1979 Datsun 280ZX sold for $2,200. Did everyone fall asleep during the auction? This looks like a really great car for the price. It's probably slow and crappy, but looks like a proper sports car.

1988 Ford Mustang GT convertible sold for $6,050. Looks like a nice deal on a 5 liter convertible. I would drive the hell out of this for the price. The interior looks fantastic for the age.

On the other end of the spectrum, it looks like Grand Nationals are starting to go for stupid money. Here are a couple 1987 GNX versions that went for $72,600 and $88,000 each. :stare: Over 75 grand for a 25 year old Buick that would get trounced by a modern Mustang GT (maybe even V6!).

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 21, 2012

mao the dong
Dec 25, 2011

by Fistgrrl

mod sassinator posted:

So Barrett Jackson's auction in Scottsdale is going on now and there are a lot of cool cars and some drat nice deals. I always thought these auctions were nothing but mega buck show cars, but there's a ton of old and modern stuff in various states.

Of the stuff that's sold here are a few that seem like bargains to me:

1979 Mercedes Benz 450SEL 6.9 sold for $3,850. For the price this is a drat good deal IMHO. The car looks like a little rough by Barrett Jackson standards (but pretty drat clean compared to most craigslist crap). I wouldn't think twice about picking that thing up for just under $4k.

1972 Ford Ranchero sold for $7,425. It's not a super desirable car or engine, but the car is very nicely restored. I bet the owner sunk a lot more than $7k into restoring the car. It looks great and would be a fun as hell driver for the price.

1951 Pontiac Chieftan sold for $6,600. Six grand for a beautiful hunk of 50's iron--drat I am jealous.

1979 Datsun 280ZX sold for $2,200. Did everyone fall asleep during the auction? This looks like a really great car for the price. It's probably slow and crappy, but looks like a proper sports car.

1988 Ford Mustang GT convertible sold for $6,050. Looks like a nice deal on a 5 liter convertible. I would drive the hell out of this for the price. The interior looks fantastic for the age.

On the other end of the spectrum, it looks like Grand Nationals are starting to go for stupid money. Here are a couple 1987 GNX versions that went for $72,600 and $88,000 each. :stare: Over 75 grand for a 25 year old Buick that would get trounced by a modern Mustang GT (maybe even V6!).

It's no different than 60s muscle selling for a huge sum even when it would get trounced by a new V6 Accord. Nostalgia has been selling inferior poo poo for huge prices for a very long time.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
I hope you're not implying the GNX is a huge piece of poo poo

cause that would just be ignorant

rkl
Jan 8, 2012

Don't give me a jerkoff handjob.
Fantastic.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I remember when Grand Nationals were new, and clowns were buying them and setting 'em on blocks in their heated garages as an investment. Within two years I began seeing ads for them in Tradin' Times. As noted earlier in the thread, they would've been better off investing in the market or precious metals.

rkl posted:

Fantastic.

ALL IT NEEDS IS PAINT! What's wrong with you people?

(edit) o god. That Chieftain :flashfap:

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 21, 2012

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

aventari posted:

I hope you're not implying the GNX is a huge piece of poo poo

cause that would just be ignorant

It's not crap, but $75k+ is a lot of money. I personally don't see the appeal at that price.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

It's not crap, but $75k+ is a lot of money. I personally don't see the appeal at that price.

Not to turn this into a Barrett-Jackson thread, but $600,000 for "2012 Corvette Convert. /w 427 Vin#1".:cry:

I get it's for charity, but :wtf:

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I've got a '94 Accord listed on CL for $2000. I'm getting really sick of the "What's the lowest amount of money you will accept for this car?" calls and texts.

Am I wrong to be a little annoyed? I usually respond, "Come have a look. If you want to make an offer we can try to make a deal," but usually that's the end of the conversation.

I've got an asking price. I feel like I shouldn't have to show my cards first.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

eddiewalker posted:

I've got a '94 Accord listed on CL for $2000. I'm getting really sick of the "What's the lowest amount of money you will accept for this car?" calls and texts.

Am I wrong to be a little annoyed? I usually respond, "Come have a look. If you want to make an offer we can try to make a deal," but usually that's the end of the conversation.

I've got an asking price. I feel like I shouldn't have to show my cards first.

No, you're in the right. People on craigslist/kijiji are notrious for trying to lowball a price/trade without even seeing the item. I had someone offer me 2 piercings (plus jewelry!!!) for a 50 gallon terrarium+stand I was selling for 50 bucks. It's even worse when selling cars that aren't in perfect condition. People think because there are a few issues you should knock a few thousand off. I do find you weed out idiots if you have an ad with lots of pictures and a good description of any problems. I always wonder if the ads with one blurry upside down cellphone picture and no listing of basic features (like transmission) get sales.

I never list a phone # in an ad. Much less time wasted when I can just delete an email instead of having to field calls all day. I'll gladly give it out if someone emails and wants to ask about it, but it filters a lot of the garbage.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 23, 2012

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Crustashio posted:

No, you're in the right. People on craigslist/kijiji are notrious for trying to lowball a price/trade without even seeing the item. I had someone offer me 2 piercings (plus jewelry!!!) for a 50 gallon terrarium+stand I was selling for 50 bucks. It's even worse when selling cars that aren't in perfect condition. People think because there are a few issues you should knock a few thousand off. I do find you weed out idiots if you have an ad with lots of pictures and a good description of any problems. I always wonder if the ads with one blurry upside down cellphone picture and no listing of basic features (like transmission) get sales.

I never list a phone # in an ad. Much less time wasted when I can just delete an email instead of having to field calls all day. I'll gladly give it out if someone emails and wants to ask about it, but it filters a lot of the garbage.

I had been using a throwaway GoogleVoice number so I could stop all calls when I'm busy and block any real idiots, but yea, I'm going email-only.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
Too bad it's not the "sport" Honda n600.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/2786396169.html

For the odd donk files.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/2795607289.html

Jezrael
May 1, 2005
the bagel is an adequate vessel of nutrition
You're always better off asking for more than you really want. That way hagglers feel like they got a bargain, and you got the price you wanted in the first place.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Jezrael posted:

You're always better off asking for more than you really want. That way hagglers feel like they got a bargain, and you got the price you wanted in the first place.

Which is exactly why I chose my asking price, expecting to be haggled down. I just don't understand these people willing to ask, "how much lower will you go?" without even seeing the car. That's not how negotiating works. It's rude, and it's been happening a lot.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

eddiewalker posted:

That's not how negotiating works. It's rude, and it's been happening a lot.
You are silly to get bet bent out of shape. It standard lowballing and it happens whether you are selling a house a car or a use basketball.
In fact, you should be happy they ask. Would you rather they come out to meet you and waste your time in person? If they only have $1500 to spend and you are asking $2K and wont go lower, why would haggling in person improve the situation for either side.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have my truck on CL and I keep getting these "please send me pictures and your asking price" emails every day. There are pics and my asking price in the ad you had to look at in order to message me, what is wrong with you?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Rhyno posted:

I have my truck on CL and I keep getting these "please send me pictures and your asking price" emails every day. There are pics and my asking price in the ad you had to look at in order to message me, what is wrong with you?

Those are probably scams.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Jezrael posted:

Not if you're dealing wif Mike Brewer.

Wot a result!

rkl
Jan 8, 2012

Don't give me a jerkoff handjob.
The only way this is worth $3500 is if there's 3 grand worth of pennies in the trunk.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

eddiewalker posted:

"how much lower will you go?"
"well how much ya got?"

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Crustashio posted:

I had someone offer me 2 piercings (plus jewelry!!!) for a 50 gallon terrarium+stand I was selling for 50 bucks.

To be fair, $50 including jewelry for 2 piercings is actually pretty good depending on what and where (also so long as the guy actually is a piercer, and not just some guy with tools be bought online) The place I go to charges $30 for a cartilage piercing and $80 for an industrial.

But, I totally get how the bizarre trades offered instead of money (especially when you say you want money in the ad) can get annoying.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Well, after my complaining about random low-ballers on my Accord, someone showed up, had me take the car to his mechanic, and paid $100 for a pre-purchase inspection, then despite a bunch of problems, paid my inflated asking price cash.

Hang in there sellers.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201201439451776/sort/priceasc/usedcars/model/reventon/make/lamborghini/page/1?logcode=p

Now here's a bargain. 18 of 20!

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/lamborghini-reventon-for-sale-2012-01-18

Viper915 fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 23, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MetaJew posted:

Those are probably scams.

Yeah, I figured. But one guy must being browsing CL on his phone or something because he keeps asking me for pics of the truck in increasingly ruder messages.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Crustashio posted:

On the other side of this, I almost never contact any seller that won't use email. I need to see pictures and get all the info they didn't bother to include in the ad (mileage, which engine, which transmission, what year it is, etc) before I waste my time listening to their sales pitch.

Really, the only ones worth calling are those with expansive listings like you're described.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Crustashio posted:

It's even worse when selling cars that aren't in perfect condition. People think because there are a few issues you should knock a few thousand off. I do find you weed out idiots if you have an ad with lots of pictures and a good description of any problems. I always wonder if the ads with one blurry upside down cellphone picture and no listing of basic features (like transmission) get sales.

Part of it is that "has a few issues" can mean anything from "requires one relatively inexpensive thing to be fixed, then runs perfectly" to "when the mechanic opens up the hood he will find a dozen things wrong and the bill will run well into the thousands". Even if you aren't trying to scam someone, some car problems can be difficult to diagnose and repair, and it's a huge risk the buyer probably doesn't want. People buy a car either to drive right away or as a project, if your car isn't "ready to drive right away" then it's a "project" and people will look at it as such and offer much less. If there is something wrong with your car that can be fixed cheaply, your best bet is to fix it before trying to sell it.