Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mewse
May 2, 2006

Baram posted:

What's the word on having to save SHSH blobs on 5.0.1? This will be my first jailbreak and I've heard people saying to do it in here, and I've also seen a couple people mentioning that it doesn't have to be done anymore as of iOS5. Got asked at least once in the past couple pages and nobody seems to have replied to it. I downloaded tinyumbrella yesterday and it didn't seem to be able to save them at all. I'm guessing if it works it's done after the jailbreak? The site doesn't really specify how to use it just mentions different settings and a brief overview of what it does.

what do you mean "it didn't seem to be able to save them at all."

do you know what SHSH blobs are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

futurebot 2000
Jan 29, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

You still need to get to the website for it to finish. I'm sitting here with my 4S trying to get it to load.

edit: Woo. Got it.

At some point the JB app on your Mac will tell you to open the app named "Jailbreak" on your iDevice. It's actually called "Absinthe", so go ahead and open that. For me it did only show a white screen, I assume when the servers are working it will show you a page with information about how to proceed. In any case, just quit the app, enter settings and enable VPN. Your device will reboot and after that you should have Cydia installed. Worked for me, YMMV.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Anybody remember the name of an extremely simple and lightweight LED flashlight program that could be triggered by Activator actions? I think it also had an option in SBS.

Bob Harris
Nov 2, 2004

For relaxing times,
make it
Suntory time.

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Anybody remember the name of an extremely simple and lightweight LED flashlight program that could be triggered by Activator actions? I think it also had an option in SBS.

SpringFlash? It's on Cydia's featured tools. You can assign any function to activate it.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
That's it! Thanks.

I need to keep a list somewhere of all the little jailbreak things I use for when I inevitably rejailbreak.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

futurebot 2000 posted:

At some point the JB app on your Mac will tell you to open the app named "Jailbreak" on your iDevice. It's actually called "Absinthe", so go ahead and open that. For me it did only show a white screen, I assume when the servers are working it will show you a page with information about how to proceed. In any case, just quit the app, enter settings and enable VPN. Your device will reboot and after that you should have Cydia installed. Worked for me, YMMV.

When the website is working properly it displays the normal looking blog and the phone reboots on its own. Upon reboot you'll find the Absinthe app has changed to the Cydia app.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
OK, I've done this twice now. My iPhone 4S and iPad 2 are jailbroken and loaded with all my fun apps.

- If you cannot get Absinthe from greenpois0n.com, there are some mirrors floating around.

- You need to remove ALL existing VPN profiles from your device.

- You do not need to remove your passcode lock.

- Running Absinthe on my devices just loaded a white screen and/or database error. This is it trying to get to greenpois0n.com. Don't worry if this doesn't work. It's not needed. I'm guessing it was just trying run the next step, which is ...

- Initiate the newly-added VPN connection. It should be the only one you have. If you did not delete your others before, it will not work. When you initiate the connection, it may or may not give an error and then immediately reboot your device.

- Some icons will be messed up after the first reboot. Safari, maybe Calendar, etc. They all work, and after some more resprings from Cydia, things will look fine.

The Goon jailbreak database:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ah09Sy6aGB8hdEVaemF1VXRYbXVjY0wyZGdnZThuQUE&hl=en&authkey=CMmC_5gE

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

mewse posted:

what do you mean "it didn't seem to be able to save them at all."

do you know what SHSH blobs are

Yes. It is basically a key that apple would send to your phone to tell it that it's okay to restore that firmware version. Everything referring to said process mentions that tinyumbrella saves that key, the "SHSH blob". I ran it and told it to "Save ALL SHSHs", and figured it would give some sort of confirmation saying that it proceeded successfully but got no such behavior, and nothing in the log about it actually happening.

Based on the log saying it found 0 SHSH files to be cached I'm assume either it's irrelevant on iOS5 or I have to wait for the 4S jailbreak to release first and do it afterwards.

e: mewse: It is not. I also don't have the option to boot the device into recovery available. it's greyed out.

baram. fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 20, 2012

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Frinkahedron posted:

Anyone try it on an iPad 2?

Yep, running absolutely fine for me.

Had it a couple of hours, not seen any extra battery drain.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Baram posted:

Yes. It is basically a key that apple would send to your phone to tell it that it's okay to restore that firmware version. Everything referring to said process mentions that tinyumbrella saves that key, the "SHSH blob". I ran it and told it to "Save ALL SHSHs", and figured it would give some sort of confirmation saying that it proceeded successfully but got no such behavior, and nothing in the log about it actually happening.

is your device displayed on the left side like in this screenshot

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Baram posted:

Based on the log saying it found 0 SHSH files to be cached I'm assume either it's irrelevant on iOS5 or I have to wait for the 4S jailbreak to release first and do it afterwards.

e: mewse: It is not. I also don't have the option to boot the device into recovery available. it's greyed out.

TinyUmbrella & SHSH blobs have nothing to do with jailbreaking, so you don't have to "wait for the 4S jailbreak". You just save them when you can. They are simply for installing firmware no longer signed by Apple. The desire to jailbreak is irrelevant to backing up or using saved SHSH blobs.

If you load TinyUmbrella, have it set to Cydia, yet have no SHSH blobs saved to Cydia, it will always return 0 blobs saved.

Make sure it is set to Apple. It will only grab the current SHSH blob. Which is 5.0.1. (there are actually two SHSH blobs for 5.0.1 for the 4S)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is there a free Cydia app similar to iBlacklist? $12 is a little ridiculous.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Baram posted:

you have to have itunes installed and your device connected to the computer for tinyumbrella to detect it

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

BlackMK4 posted:

Is there a free Cydia app similar to iBlacklist? $12 is a little ridiculous.

If you think that's bad, even if you pay for it, they tie the license to the device. It doesn't use Cydia's licensing. So if you swap phones or upgrade, you have to beg the developer to allow you to run the app on your new phone.

...and that's exactly what I have to do. It is "unlicensed" on my 4S, so I have to contact the developer again to transfer the license from my 3GS.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Has anyone tried to jailbreak a 4s/pad2 using OSX Lion running in a VMWare virtual machine under Win7?

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

I jailbroke my 4S on 5.0.1 this afternoon and I'm getting Springboard crashes on boot. I only installed SBSettings and I think I've removed it... any ideas?

e: And of course I just fixed it. It was either PreferenceLoader or Lock Calendar (please don't be Lock Calendar...)

ee: Well, now I have SBSettings working but it's screwing up my 3G connection. Apparently this can be a problem on Verizon phones—anyone have any tips?

YO MAMA HEAD fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 21, 2012

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

mewse posted:

you have to have itunes installed and your device connected to the computer for tinyumbrella to detect it

Well then there's where the issue is popping up. I've got itunes 10.5.3.3 installed and the device is connected and picked up just fine in itunes, but tinyumbrella doesn't recognize it. Tinyumbrella is also the latest version.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Baram posted:

Well then there's where the issue is popping up. I've got itunes 10.5.3.3 installed and the device is connected and picked up just fine in itunes, but tinyumbrella doesn't recognize it. Tinyumbrella is also the latest version.

that's weird. TU only has to detect the device once, and then it stores that device's id numbers so you don't even have to have the device connected for future usage of the program.

maybe try having itunes closed and the device connected while displaying the charging screen, and then re-launching TU and see if it detects like that

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Deleted everything related to TU and redownloaded, noticed that running it causes it to spit out an error log on my desktop where it's saved that lists a bunch of java errors, so I'm guessing something is missing related to that.

quote:

TinyUmbrella[INFO|AWT-EventQueue-0|6:53:42]: Trying to enable TSS...
Exception in thread "Thread-3" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\iTunesMobileDevice.dll: The specified procedure could not be found
at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Runtime.load0(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.System.load(Unknown Source)
at com.semaphore.jna.LibraryFinder.findMobileLibrary(LibraryFinder.java:130)
at com.semaphore.jna.LibraryFinder.foundMobileLibrary(LibraryFinder.java:110)
at com.semaphore.jna.LibraryFinder.getMDLibrary(LibraryFinder.java:68)
at com.semaphore.jna.LibraryFinder.<clinit>(LibraryFinder.java:28)
at com.semaphore.jna.md.MDLibrary.<clinit>(MDLibrary.java:21)
at com.semaphore.jna.idevice.win.WinDeviceLibrary.addNotificationHandler(WinDeviceLibrary.java:43)
at com.semaphore.service.DeviceListenerService.run(DeviceListenerService.java:60)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

e: itunes is the 64-bit it defaults to off apple's download site. java is 64-bit. i don't get this at all. argh.

e2: just uninstalled both versions and installed 64 bit to make sure, and got rid of the 32 bit versions of java and itunes. put itunes back into the normal program files. now running TU tells me there's no 32 bit java installed. do i need to go and install 32 bit itunes and 32 bit java or something? this should not be this loving hard.

baram. fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 21, 2012

mewse
May 2, 2006

with the mention of program files (x86) in there, i think you might be having a 32-bit/64-bit problem. i don't know if itunes has a native 64bit version but running the 32-bit or 64-bit version of the java runtime environment when itunes is the other might lead to that error. it's getting over my head at this point anyways, good luck

Eelface
Jul 23, 2002

Tried everything possible, but Absinthe just crashes every time I open it. Did a clean restore before to 5.0.1 with itunes and everything upgraded bahhh

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

I jailbroke my 4S on 5.0.1 this afternoon and I'm getting Springboard crashes on boot. I only installed SBSettings and I think I've removed it... any ideas?

e: And of course I just fixed it. It was either PreferenceLoader or Lock Calendar (please don't be Lock Calendar...)

ee: Well, now I have SBSettings working but it's screwing up my 3G connection. Apparently this can be a problem on Verizon phones—anyone have any tips?

It's Lock Calendar. This was seriously my one reason for jailbreaking argh!!!

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Baram posted:

Deleted everything related to TU and redownloaded, noticed that running it causes it to spit out an error log on my desktop where it's saved that lists a bunch of java errors, so I'm guessing something is missing related to that.

e: itunes is the 64-bit it defaults to off apple's download site. java is 64-bit. i don't get this at all. argh.

e2: just uninstalled both versions and installed 64 bit to make sure, and got rid of the 32 bit versions of java and itunes. put itunes back into the normal program files. now running TU tells me there's no 32 bit java installed. do i need to go and install 32 bit itunes and 32 bit java or something? this should not be this loving hard.

You want 64-bit iTunes and 32-bit Java, which should be the defaults anyway.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 21, 2012

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

randyest posted:

Has anyone tried to jailbreak a 4s/pad2 using OSX Lion running in a VMWare virtual machine under Win7?
Replying to myself to say: it works perfectly. Just be sure to associate the phone/pad with vmware and not win7.

coldplay chiptunes posted:

I need to keep a list somewhere of all the little jailbreak things I use for when I inevitably rejailbreak.
Make yourself a column here:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ah09Sy6aGB8hdEVaemF1VXRYbXVjY0wyZGdnZThuQUE&hl=en&authkey=CMmC_5gE
...or copy it to local disk or your own gdocs account and delete stuff you don't use.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

frumpsnake posted:

You want 64-bit iTunes and 32-bit Java, which should be the defaults anyway.

yeah that's what i started out with and ultimately ended up with. back to square one where TU doesn't pick up the phone whatsoever but itunes does just fine. tried different compatibility options. run as admin. not run as admin. tried every combination of running TU first then plugging in phone. phone first and then TU. nothing. is there some sort of setting in itunes itself that could be causing it to butt heads?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I checked the last 5 pages and didn't see anything - have any of the folder apps been updated for 5.0? I'm mainly looking to remove the limit of number of apps from within folders.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Still having trouble. I reset network settings to ensure there were no VPN settings, reran Absinthe on the Mac and went through the motions. The Absinthe app on the phone doesn't load (being hammered obviously. Then I go and start the VPN connection that was added, it fails then nothing happens. If I'm understanding correctly the phone should reboot at that point, yes?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Corbet posted:

I checked the last 5 pages and didn't see anything - have any of the folder apps been updated for 5.0? I'm mainly looking to remove the limit of number of apps from within folders.
Yes, FolderEnhancer seems to work, but goons say InfiniFolder doesn't. I'm still installing and testing so I can't say for sure yet...

Check it here https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ah09Sy6aGB8hdEVaemF1VXRYbXVjY0wyZGdnZThuQUE&hl=en&authkey=CMmC_5gE

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

randyest posted:

Yes, FolderEnhancer seems to work, but goons say InfiniFolder doesn't. I'm still installing and testing so I can't say for sure yet...

Check it here https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ah09Sy6aGB8hdEVaemF1VXRYbXVjY0wyZGdnZThuQUE&hl=en&authkey=CMmC_5gE

CHrist this is the one thing that is making me want to jailbreak again.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

CHrist this is the one thing that is making me want to jailbreak again.
It's pretty painless if you have a mac or a mac in a virtual machine. Although it does take longer (10min?) than previous jailbreaks. Not sure how much of that time was VM-related, but just be patient -- it seems to hang but is gets out eventually.

I did it all for the MyWi. Oh, and 3GUnrestrictor, and IntelliscreenX, and SBSettings, and ManualCorrect, and NavigateFromMaps ... oh gently caress it a bunch of things.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

What's the word on AT&T catching people using MyWi? If I just don't do any torrenting am I safe? Currently have the grandfathered unlimited plan.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SynMoo posted:

What's the word on AT&T catching people using MyWi? If I just don't do any torrenting am I safe? Currently have the grandfathered unlimited plan.
I've used it to tether my wifi ipad2 since forever (until I got a 4S, but that's fixed now too), and despite using 5+ GB/month I've not received any flak or email or speed throttling. I don't know, but I hear they're looking at the top X% data users, so certainly torrenting linux ISOs via a tether would probably attract attention.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Getting anxious waiting for a Windows version of the program. Any issues that you guys can think of with my buddy just bringing his Mac over on the way home from work and doing it on that?

Dr. Mix
Jan 21, 2005

He's under a lot of stress alright?

SynMoo posted:

I received a message about this from AT&T almost a year ago. Since then I stopped using MyWi. It's not like avoiding MyWi changed my data usage though. I've still been using ~5gb a month without hearing from AT&T again.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

^^^^^ This is most likely what happened to you. vvvvvv

SynMoo posted:

Sometime last year I believe there was an uptick in people getting flagged for tethering even with low data usage. Turns out some carriers started checking the TTL (time to live) on packets being sent to identify tethering. Normally, the hop from your device to the phone would drop that by 1, making your tethered traffic stand out, no 'deep inspection' required.

Almost immediately, all the tether apps issued a patch to simply add 1 back to TTL.

So, it's pretty much back to being a non-issue if you're not a bandwidth hog.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

randyest posted:

It's pretty painless if you have a mac or a mac in a virtual machine. Although it does take longer (10min?) than previous jailbreaks. Not sure how much of that time was VM-related, but just be patient -- it seems to hang but is gets out eventually.

I did it all for the MyWi. Oh, and 3GUnrestrictor, and IntelliscreenX, and SBSettings, and ManualCorrect, and NavigateFromMaps ... oh gently caress it a bunch of things.

Yeah I'd say 2 things would be must haves (SBSettings and FolderEnhancer) and maybe 4 things total (3GUnrestrictor and BiteSMS) but I keep having bad memories on how loving lovely it was that the home button didn't work all the loving time due to the necessary groundwork that needed to happen in the background for many of those apps to work.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

I see this jailbreak keeps a daemon running, 'absinthed'

Wonder what it's up to.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Nill posted:

^^^^^ This is most likely what happened to you. vvvvvv
Sometime last year I believe there was an uptick in people getting flagged for tethering even with low data usage. Turns out some carriers started checking the TTL (time to live) on packets being sent to identify tethering. Normally, the hop from your device to the phone would drop that by 1, making your tethered traffic stand out, no 'deep inspection' required.

Almost immediately, all the tether apps issued a patch to simply add 1 back to TTL.

So, it's pretty much back to being a non-issue if you're not a bandwidth hog.
Interesting. So, say I was able to legitimately purchase that tethering app that went up in the App Store for about 6 hours recently, I should be able to tether to my hearts' content? Since its a wired tether and presumably just looks like regular phone data usage?

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

TACD posted:

Interesting. So, say I was able to legitimately purchase that tethering app that went up in the App Store for about 6 hours recently, I should be able to tether to my hearts' content? Since its a wired tether and presumably just looks like regular phone data usage?
Possibly. But I'm not sure about on the specifics of that app. I just know both MyWi and TetherMe clearly reference modifying the TTL (and taking other steps) in their changelogs / feature sets to avoid detection.

Nill fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
So Can you not disable the clock in lockinfo anymore?

Never mind found it.

coldplay chiptunes fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 21, 2012

• Locked thread