Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

shrike82 posted:

I've been helping my team with resume vetting.

Setting aside how 3/4 of applicants are mainland Chinese/Indians (tough for them to stand out), it amazes me how people with great looking resumes bomb our IQ test. This is pre-contact with anyone on our team; we have them take an online 3rd party IQ test.

An inexplicable number of people coming from top CS/engineering schools/with a good work pedigree getting sub-50 percentile for the test. W T F.

A lot of people are lying their asses off on resumes, judging from what I see on paper versus what actually walks in the door.

That said, if you're using an IQ test to screen, you need to be careful or you might(probably) will get sued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

shrike82 posted:

I've been helping my team with resume vetting.

Setting aside how 3/4 of applicants are mainland Chinese/Indians (tough for them to stand out), it amazes me how people with great looking resumes bomb our IQ test. This is pre-contact with anyone on our team; we have them take an online 3rd party IQ test.

An inexplicable number of people coming from top CS/engineering schools/with a good work pedigree getting sub-50 percentile for the test. W T F.

I'm pretty sure that the real WTF is that you and your team think IQ tests are a good screening mechanism.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Doc Hawkins posted:

Have you taken it?

99 percentile, everyone in the team scored above a 90 and we're from the top-5 schools.

shrughes posted:

An IQ test? Why the gently caress wouldn't you give somebody a coding test? Millions of congenitally bad programmers can pass an IQ test.

Duh, we do coding tests post-contact. The IQ test is a good way to pre-filter before we have any contact with candidates. I was a bit surprised at first at the use of it as a resume filter; but we've tried lowering/ignoring the standard and seen low-score candidates consistently bombing f2f interviews and the coding tests.

shrike82 fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jan 20, 2012

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
Without considering whether an IQ test is a good filter, it's highly unlikely that whatever you're using is an accurate IQ test unless it takes four hours to administer

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Maybe it's because I'm not an American, but what the gently caress does "we're from the top-5 schools" have to do with anything?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
There's a job I applied to that had a sort of reading skills/very basic mathematics test that I wouldn't consider useless. It was 50 questions, 12 minutes, and you weren't expected to finish in the 12 minutes. The questions were extremely basic things, like "What comes next? 6 13 20 27" or those questions where you find out the order of four people's age by the clues it gives you.

It doesn't measure IQ, but it definitely would filter out the idiots.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Chasiubao posted:

Maybe it's because I'm not an American, but what the gently caress does "we're from the top-5 schools" have to do with anything?

Well, generally, the idea is someone from MIT or other big-name school is going to have a better skill set and understanding of a topic than someone who went to some community college no one outside of the local area has heard of.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

How much should I ask for for "entry-level" contract dev work? Building a web app in Rails for a local company. Interviewed yesterday, went great and they just want me to follow up with my hourly rate. I have a little over a year of professional experience in .NET and Rails. Small city btw with low cost of living, so adjust accordingly. I make $15/hr at my current job but obviously that's way too low.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Without considering whether an IQ test is a good filter, it's highly unlikely that whatever you're using is an accurate IQ test unless it takes four hours to administer

Four hours to administer, and done so in a controlled environment by a professional whose hourly billing rate would make it unfeasible to use them to decide who gets a phone interview.

Wikipedia cites studies saying average IQ test for a college graduate comes out to 115, so around +1 sigma or 84th percentile.

So if you have an "inexplicable" number of people who graduated from rigorous CS programs and have an impressive work history, yet score below 100 altogether on your IQ test, maybe your test can explicate things.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
I filter candidates by star sign.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

How much should I ask for for "entry-level" contract dev work? Building a web app in Rails for a local company. Interviewed yesterday, went great and they just want me to follow up with my hourly rate. I have a little over a year of professional experience in .NET and Rails. Small city btw with low cost of living, so adjust accordingly. I make $15/hr at my current job but obviously that's way too low.

I graduate soon and personally I'd be hard pressed to settle for anything under $20/hr. I too live in a fairly smaller city outside of Providence, RI.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

A MIRACLE posted:

I'm back in college, but with 5-6 more years of experience on you and I get $35/hr for part time work. I'm pretty sure the guy that I work for bills around $50/hr to the clients (small company with remote workers). So, I'd probably start a little above that and gauge how much they balk.

Edit: if you are going to be 1099, be aware that you have to pay a lot more in taxes. On a W2, your employer covers half of Medicade/SS tax, so that's 7% more you are paying right off the bat. Health insurance is also pretty expensive too if you don't already have it. Certainly factor those into the equation.

Also, keep in the back of you mind that you may need to pay for lawyer and/or accounting services at some point in time. Especially since you really want to be informed about under what circumstances the company can weasel out of paying you.

tef posted:

I filter candidates by star sign.

There's no problem with that, as long as they put all of their skill points into the math and programming signs.

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 20, 2012

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Sab669 posted:

I graduate soon and personally I'd be hard pressed to settle for anything under $20/hr. I too live in a fairly smaller city outside of Providence, RI.

That's a ridiculous absurdly low rate. $20 * 2000 hours is $40k per year. For software development. You are completely undervaluing yourself. Move to Boston (or NYC or Chicago or California or anywhere but Rhode Island). And for contracting that's even more absurd than a $20/hr wage.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

shrughes posted:

That's a ridiculous absurdly low rate. $20 * 2000 hours is $40k per year. For software development. You are completely undervaluing yourself. Move to Boston (or NYC or Chicago or California or anywhere but Rhode Island). And for contracting that's even more absurd than a $20/hr wage.

Agreed. Although I live in the NJ/NYC area, the cheapest I've ever seen competent outsourced development go for was about $100/hr.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Ithaqua posted:

Agreed. Although I live in the NJ/NYC area, the cheapest I've ever seen competent outsourced development go for was about $100/hr.

Yeah but how did they do on the IQ test :v:

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
What are people's impressions of the title 'Programmer Analyst' vs 'Software Developer'?

Do you think hiring impressions would be different for applicants with one or the other title in their last role?

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Pweller posted:

What are people's impressions of the title 'Programmer Analyst' vs 'Software Developer'?

Do you think hiring impressions would be different for applicants with one or the other title in their last role?

IT job titles are manufactured bullshit. Assuming your resume passes the basic tests (written clearly, structured neatly, and not over two pages), anyone worth working for is going to look for what you've done, not what you were tagged. I've seen a guy with "IT Support" as his job title that rolled out a completely new hardware setup across 40 locations, and (same guy) migrated their domain from 2000->2008r2 while virtualizing all their servers (and splitting them by role) and did all the prep work for taking exchange from 2000 to 2010. Oh and he also completely redesigned the AD structure so it didn't suck.

In short: don't trust the job title.

The exchange migration went tits-up after he left, but hey, can't win 'em all right?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I have CS 101 coding skills or below but do excellent on standardized testing. I also have a well formatted resume So, where can I collect my check?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

I have CS 101 coding skills or below but do excellent on standardized testing. I also have a well formatted resume So, where can I collect my check?

But did you go to a top 5 school?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Xguard86 posted:

Check? Here have these stock options that we certainly won't dilute in the future.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

shrughes posted:

When I graduate I'm definitely open to going to Boston. I'm originally from Massachusetts, anyways, so it wouldn't be too bad. If I do end up staying in RI, 45-50k would be where I want to start but I'd go as low as 40 is all I was saying.

e; Any input on jobs that say "Send your cover letter / resume / salary requirements to <email>"? I've heard somewhere that can be a kind of "test" to see the candidates confidence levels? Make sure they don't think they're worth more / less than they really are.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 21, 2012

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Is RI really cheap or something? 40k is really low for a developer unless you suck or it's something that just generally pays less salary (game development, non-profit, start-up, etc.).

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I dunno, the few jobs that HAVE salaries/ wages listed seem to be 40-45k? The most recent posting I saw for a web dev was $16-$22/hr BOE

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Sab669 posted:

e; Any input on jobs that say "Send your cover letter / resume / salary requirements to <email>"? I've heard somewhere that can be a kind of "test" to see the candidates confidence levels? Make sure they don't think they're worth more / less than they really are.
I thought it was to accomplish one of two things, depending upon your response

1) Find out if you're asking for more than they're willing to pay, and if so pitch your resume in the trash before they waste any more time talking to you
2) Get you on the record as saying you're cool with a specific amount, which could in fact be less than they would have otherwise offered you.

They might hypothetically be perfectly fine paying $90K for a given position, and that's what everyone else on the team gets paid -- but because you said in your cover letter you wanted $75K, well, you've cheated yourself. Even if they offer you $85K and say "woah now, we don't pay that low, let's pay you what you're worth!" you have lost any ability to negotiate higher than their opening offer since you said up front you're cool with $75K and that's ten grand more.

#2 burned a friend of mine once. We both applied for and got jobs at the same company. My friend told them a number up front, which turned out to be way below the pay band for the position. I told them no numbers at all.

We both got the same opening offer. I was able to get another $5K out of them, while my friend pretty much was stuck with what they offered.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 21, 2012

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Yeah, everyone's told me that you always say "I'm not comfortable talking about that until you've come to a hiring decision."

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

kitten smoothie posted:

We both got the same opening offer. I was able to get another $5K out of them, while my friend pretty much was stuck with what they offered.

Can't you pull the old, "well, another company just offered $X+10,000, can you match that?" The worst that happens is they say no.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Welp, sent them a cover letter / resume and just said I'd prefer not to discuss financial matters without having actually spoken to anyone. Sent my resume out to three different web dev. positions counting that one, today. :pray:

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
A good answer to the "how much do you want?" question is, "Oh, I'm not greedy. Whatever you make will be fine!"

(Note: never seriously say that)

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Are there any credible salary websites? I used to use Glassdoor but their salary ranges were substantially lower than actual offers made for literally every single company I interviewed with (not to mention they didn't have useful information on non-cash comp).

Smugdog Millionaire
Sep 14, 2002

8) Blame Icefrog
This was linked on HN today and it seems relevant: http://www.kalzumeus.com/2012/01/23/salary-negotiation/

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Yeah, everyone's told me that you always say "I'm not comfortable talking about that until you've come to a hiring decision."

This isn't too bad, I might use this in the future. In last week's interviews I simply countered with "What would you say is the typical range you pay current employees in similar positions?"
, since I'm still figuring out how far I can push in my region. Got some interesting 'dodge' lines to use in future meetings ha.

I also set a deadline for when I planned to be hired by, which set off some panicked reactions at a couple places, which was good I think.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Just founds a job posting directed towards "Those who live and breathe in brackets and loops, those who sleep with the O'Reilly books tucked closely to them."

After more seriously describing requirements and responsibilities, it concluded
"I look forward to deleting most of your emails.
Cheers,
James"

Sounds like a boss place to work. Sent my resume in immediately.

e; vvv I took it much more jokingly. He responded a moment ago saying "Congratulations! I didn't delete yours!"

e2; and what the gently caress is why people describing job seekers as "ninja-like" coders? It sounds loving retarded.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 25, 2012

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Sab669 posted:

"I look forward to deleting most of your emails.
Cheers,
James"

Sounds like a boss place to work. Sent my resume in immediately.

There's nothing wrong with being "edgy" in your job ad, but basically saying "hey potential employee: you're probably not good enough to work here!" would immediately turn me off.

pr0metheus
Dec 5, 2010
I had my Amazon onsite interview yesterday and I think it went pretty well. Most of the questions were quite easy actually but it was nontheless stressful because of corner cases and bug finding I had to do with code I wrote at first for each problem.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?
I finished my master thesis in Computer Science 31. October 2011 and just today got a job at B&O with good pay and plenty of vacation. I just want to say thanks for the OP in this thread. It was helpful.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

Ithaqua posted:

There's nothing wrong with being "edgy" in your job ad, but basically saying "hey potential employee: you're probably not good enough to work here!" would immediately turn me off.

It's a great strategy for young programmers who work in startups and have been prematurely advanced into a lead/architect position and waste hundreds of hours a year writing mediocre code that isn't refactorable because they couldn't be bothered to read API documentation.

They are generally the same people looking for ninjas in a work hard, play hard culture.

They also say stupid things like "my favorite IDE is vi*."

I worked with one of these dickheads once.

Once.

P.S. If the job description states "we're a fun place to work", they're not.

[* Disclaimer: This does not mean I believe that people who use vi are dickheads. Nor do I believe that people who use emacs are dickheads.]

Rello
Jan 19, 2010
Hey,

I have my first software engineering interview coming up in 2 weeks, it is most likely for a QA internship position as that's what I inquired about. If anyone knows any good resources for preparing for a QA interview or the types of skills I should be freshening up on, that would be awesome.

Also the interview is with nVidia if anyone knows what there interview process is like I would love to hear more about it.

Thanks,

Devvo
Oct 29, 2010

ManlyWeevil posted:

I'm in my last semester of a CS degree and due to circumstances beyond my control, I haven't been able to even so much as apply for any internships, let alone work for anyone. Now that I'm looking, it seems most/all internships want a "returning student". How difficult is it convince HR to give me a pass on that? Is there a legal reason for this or is it a preference thing?

I'm in a similarly lovely situation where I'm about to graduate with a Math/CS interdisciplinary major (it's in my university's college of Arts and Sciences) without an internship. I have lots of helpdesk/IT-related experience, like deploying software via WDS and hardware troubleshooting, but I know that stuff doesn't really matter.

Due to the nature of my major, I haven't taken any advanced electives like Operating Systems, Computer Architecture, Databases, or Machine Learning. I do have Data Structures under my belt and I'm taking a class about software design using Qt right now. I have a lot of math credits which are unrelated to programming/software development in general; my academic history involves me futzing around with humanities and math courses, and I only made the switch to Computer Science recently.

I also haven't taken Algorithms, although I *could* stay and take out extra loans for the summer semester or even the fall to take that. Should I delay my graduation and take Algorithms? And yeah, I'm concerned I'm going to be passed over by companies for internships because I'm not a returning student and my curriculum is less focused than normal CS majors.

I know C, C++, and Python pretty well, and a little bit of Ruby that I taught myself. I guess that I should also teach myself how to use subversion or git...

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

Rello posted:

Hey,

I have my first software engineering interview coming up in 2 weeks, it is most likely for a QA internship position as that's what I inquired about. If anyone knows any good resources for preparing for a QA interview or the types of skills I should be freshening up on, that would be awesome.

Also the interview is with nVidia if anyone knows what there interview process is like I would love to hear more about it.

Thanks,

How good are you at C++? They ask really obscure C++ questions. I was at a job fair where they wouldn't talk to you until you passed a written C++ question booklet. This was circa 2008. Go buy a C++ reference manual and memorize it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rello
Jan 19, 2010

gotly posted:

How good are you at C++? They ask really obscure C++ questions. I was at a job fair where they wouldn't talk to you until you passed a written C++ question booklet. This was circa 2008. Go buy a C++ reference manual and memorize it.

Terrible, I don't really know the ins and outs of C++, and it's not on my resume. I'm pretty much only good with Java, so hopefully they ask me Java related questions, do you know of a good C++ reference though? Now's a good as time as ever to get familiar with it I suppose.

Thanks,

Edit : can anyone give me a good C reference as well, it seems all of nvidia's job descriptions want either C++ or C, and none want Java :stare:.

Rello fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 27, 2012