Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

the posted:

If I'm shooting at night, how do I know how to calculate the exposure time?

Basically I'm trying to master the intimate dance between ISO, f-stop, and the amount of light.

Practice using this: http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm#Light%20Intensity%20Chart

The concept is that different amounts of light equal different exposure values on a scale between -6 (extremely dark) and 23 (excessively bright). You have to be able to determine, generally, what light level you're dealing with. From there you can determine the amount of exposure based on the aperture you've chosen. This guy does a lot of night photography, and when I spoke to him about it he told me he uses this method frequently. I had heard of it a while back but have never really used it myself, at least in terms of guessing the values of light on my own.

But I think, like anything, if you practice enough you will eventually get the hang of it. It's a great skill to have and you can get excellent results with it. If you're unsure, you could try it out with a digital camera first just to see if you're in the ballpark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Since it may be of relevance, here's a newsletter I received from Ag Photographic today, regarding the Kodak situation:

quote:

By now most customers will have heard that Eastman Kodak has filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Protection in the USA. We want to explain to customers that, despite emotive media reports, this does not mean the company ceases to exist - Kodak continues to trade as normal, the only difference being that much of their liabilities, they are now protected from.

In our view this is a good move for Kodak because:

1. It means they can re-organise the company without the threat of the liabilities that have hung over the business in recent years;

2. They can re-finance the company. By making the move into bankruptcy protection they have been able to secure $950m of funding from Citibank

3. For a number of years it has seemed top management in the company have been obsessed with Wall Street and the share price of the company. In our opinion this has been a hinderance to the effective management of the business. Now the company is de-listed from the NYSE, they don't have to concern themselves with Wall Street and can take decisions freely.

4. It is expected the company will remain in Chapter 11 for around 12 months, at the end of which a new Kodak will emerge.

tl;dr: According to Ag, Kodak will survive and make it out stronger.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

nielsm posted:

Since it may be of relevance, here's a newsletter I received from Ag Photographic today, regarding the Kodak situation:

tl;dr: According to Ag, Kodak will survive and make it out stronger.

Yeah, but Kodak may decide that film just isn't profitable anymore, that digital is where they should concentrate.... I guess we don't know until they start trying to rebuild the company.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Film is one of the only areas that Kodak actually makes a profit. They want to restructure to focus on consumer inkjet printers, which no one wants anymore.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Reichstag posted:

Film is one of the only areas that Kodak actually makes a profit. They want to restructure to focus on consumer inkjet printers, which no one wants anymore.

There's a video from the CEO on kodak's website here: http://www.kodaktransforms.com/

If you listen to what he says it seems as though they are mostly going to be this bitter company who just sues people over patents.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Inkjet printers! That's the future, my boy!

And then after that we'll start working on dot matrix printers!

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

MS-DURP gives you the only complete set of software tools for 17-bit systems.
They might as well be selling stone tablets with chisels that wear out after 50 uses, and only work with Kodak(R) ChiselTech(TM) brand chisels.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I dunno guys they have an awful lot of letters after their name. How come you're not running a multibillion dollar corporation if you know so much more than them?

*bets it all on daisywheel printers*

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I hope somehow the film division breaks off independently like Ilford and the rest of Kodak can go and die for all I care.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
I hope Kodak sticks around.

I mean the phrase, 'Kodak moment' can't just disappear into the abyss.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

HPL posted:

And then after that we'll start working on dot matrix printers!

All you need is some minimalist packaging, and you can sell 'em to hipsters at Urban Outfitters for $200 a pop.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Felt confident enough today to develope the roll of film from my trip to chicago.

Was all excited because I had this hopefully awesome shot of one of the old reactor buildings at Argonne, so when I pulled the film out and hung it up the first thing I did was look for it.

And... I didn't wind enough film after I had loaded the camera, so only about a third of the picture is actually there. :regd09:

Learning hurts sometimes.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
If you think about it, it's crazy that thermal printers are as widespread as they are now considering they were nearly dead shortly before fax machines became popular.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Kodak 25% price increase by tokyo camera style, on Flickr

Makes me so jealous of the Japanese and their film shops I've seen shots of, a shopping basket filled with Portra :3:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Spedman posted:

Kodak 25% price increase by tokyo camera style, on Flickr

Makes me so jealous of the Japanese and their film shops I've seen shots of, a shopping basket filled with Portra :3:

You wouldn't be if you were paying Japanese prices for the film.

A 5-pack of Velvia 120 is like $36 :smith:

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010

Pompous Rhombus posted:

You wouldn't be if you were paying Japanese prices for the film.

A 5-pack of Velvia 120 is like $36 :smith:

Pro Pack of Velvia: $93.37

http://www.vanbar.com.au/catalogue/product.php?id=69495#related

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Schofferhofer posted:

Pro Pack of Velvia: $93.37

http://www.vanbar.com.au/catalogue/product.php?id=69495#related

I was just about to quote something like this, if you want expensive film fly south to Oz. I was looking for a single roll of 120 to play with one day while walking around the city in Melbourne, I had shot the roll I had with me, so I thought I'd try some Ilford SFX or FP4 and buy it from Michaels on Elizabeth St. They wanted $21 for a single roll. :australia:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Spedman posted:

I was just about to quote something like this, if you want expensive film fly south to Oz. I was looking for a single roll of 120 to play with one day while walking around the city in Melbourne, I had shot the roll I had with me, so I thought I'd try some Ilford SFX or FP4 and buy it from Michaels on Elizabeth St. They wanted $21 for a single roll. :australia:
Holy poo poo, now I know why my friend in OZ prefers to do mass orders from B&H.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
My local camera store has five packs of Velvia for 89$ :australia:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I'm actually planning to migrate to Australia (well, go to graduate school then apply for jobs/residency) after Japan. :negative:

I know from experience that stuff like electronics is more expensive in Australia in large part due to duties (plus GST), but is film taxed heavily too?

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
No, it's just that no retailers really stock it so they can afford to charge pretty much whatever they want.

Brick and Mortar shops will charge $15 for a 24EXP roll of Delta 400, because they can. I order from B&H or wait till a friend goes overseas.

Where in Australia are you looking to move to?

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

burning airlines give you so much more

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I'm actually planning to migrate to Australia (well, go to graduate school then apply for jobs/residency) after Japan. :negative:

I know from experience that stuff like electronics is more expensive in Australia in large part due to duties (plus GST), but is film taxed heavily too?

Nah the local distributors for most things in Australia just mark everything up like massive cunts, plus transportation costs/import duties are pretty high. Everyone here has an idea that they should all be rich just because some people make a lot of money off the resources sector which doesn't really help things either.

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
Plus we have a minimum wage and a social security system which actually allows you to purchase enough food for you to exist.

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

burning airlines give you so much more
Yeah that too.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Schofferhofer posted:

Where in Australia are you looking to move to?

Haven't fully decided yet, but right now considering UTAS in Hobart for my Master's, and either staying down there or going back out to WA to work.

Schofferhofer posted:

Plus we have a minimum wage and a social security system which actually allows you to purchase enough food for you to exist.

That too, which is much of the reason I'm moving there (although hopefully I won't have to worry much about minimum wage or the social safety net myself :v:)

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
anyone that thinks prices are high because of duties/gst or low volume needs to get their head out of their arse and stop believing the bullshit retailers are spinning. Yes, labour costs are a bit higher, but the rest is pure price gouging by importers and landlords. Duty isn't a factor unless you're importing luxury cars like Ferraris/Lambos.

PR: Bring some pallets of film with you please :) Maybe a shipping container if you can fit it into carry-on (obviously a 20ft one, you'll never get a 40ft shipping container into an overhead bin). And if you like HC-110, prepare to be upset. No-one imports it at all for a population of 22M

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jan 23, 2012

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Captain Postal posted:

PR: Bring some pallets of film with you please :) Maybe a shipping container if you can fit it into carry-on (obviously a 20ft one, you'll never get a 40ft shipping container into an overhead bin). And if you like HC-110, prepare to be upset. No-one imports it at all for a population of 22M

Aww, that sucks to hear; I found out when I got here that Japan doesn't import it either, so had to pay like $30/bottle thanks to Adorama's crazy-town international shipping rates. I think future visits home will involve picking up boxes from B&H at my parents' place and cramming them into my luggage.

I actually was/am thinking of going the shipping container route, but it'd be from Japan (and I'm still iffy on it, in large part depends if I can get my motorcycle through SEVS economically or can qualify for the Personal Import Scheme, need to do more research).

For those of you with a connect in the states, USPS does offer Flat Rate shipping, which basically lets you shove as much as you want (up to like 31kg or so) into a box of specified dimensions. Back when I was in Florida, I sold my Bessa to an Ausgoon, and also threw in like 48 rolls of film that I put in with a Freestyle order for them.

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
Maco deliver HC-110 (And Rodinal Original) but my maco order arrived today after nearly 8 weeks.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
Yeah, the other thing you'll learn pretty quickly if you haven't already is that trans-pac shipping is done by like 2 airlines, whilst every airline in the world flies between europe and aus via the mid east or asia, so shipping is much cheaper going that way around the world thanks to competitive pricing. I used to buy from B&H but now it's Maco or nothing.

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
Maco is more expensive for everything though?

The shipping is cheaper, but USPS Priority takes four days from B&H. Not 7 weeks.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

XTimmy posted:

My local camera store has five packs of Velvia for 89$ :australia:

Ha! Suckers!

Schofferhofer posted:

Oh... :smith:

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Haven't fully decided yet, but right now considering UTAS in Hobart for my Master's,

I didn't study fine arts at UTAS so I can't vouch for it, but I always enjoyed visits to the Hunter Street campus. Everyone seems about as chill as can be for a small island in the middle of the south oceans.

I can't vouch for how easy it is to get a good price on film and supplies as I only started to experiment with it since I moved, but I can tell you about a bad experience I had at a 'major' retailer in Tas on a trip back last year.
The fine gent(owner) at Stallards asked if I'd like to buy some more film when I was picking up holiday prints. Even though I knew the price of film wouldn't be that great (compared to Japan), I decided to humour him and asked the price of a roll of Ektar. He scoffed at me and told me that Kodak had stopped making it years ago.

I dare say it is one of the most beautiful temperate islands and some real magic can be found there. But it can be backwards as gently caress at times.

That being said, I can see you making some real magic there with cheap second hand car and a wide angle lens.

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."

Captain Postal posted:

anyone that thinks prices are high because of duties/gst or low volume needs to get their head out of their arse and stop believing the bullshit retailers are spinning. Yes, labour costs are a bit higher, but the rest is pure price gouging by importers and landlords. Duty isn't a factor unless you're importing luxury cars like Ferraris/Lambos.

A quick test of this would be to find out what their profit margin is compared to other western nations. If its the same they're not price gouging, if it not then yes they're gouge happy.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

MediumWellDone posted:

I didn't study fine arts at UTAS so I can't vouch for it, but I always enjoyed visits to the Hunter Street campus. Everyone seems about as chill as can be for a small island in the middle of the south oceans.

I can't vouch for how easy it is to get a good price on film and supplies as I only started to experiment with it since I moved, but I can tell you about a bad experience I had at a 'major' retailer in Tas on a trip back last year.
The fine gent(owner) at Stallards asked if I'd like to buy some more film when I was picking up holiday prints. Even though I knew the price of film wouldn't be that great (compared to Japan), I decided to humour him and asked the price of a roll of Ektar. He scoffed at me and told me that Kodak had stopped making it years ago.

I dare say it is one of the most beautiful temperate islands and some real magic can be found there. But it can be backwards as gently caress at times.

That being said, I can see you making some real magic there with cheap second hand car and a wide angle lens.

I'm actually planning on doing my Master's in Secondary Ed... there's no discernible way to turn photography into the kind of employment you need for a residency visa, and I enjoy teaching (and have been thinking of getting into it as a career for a number of years.) I do plan to keep photography on the backburner, either as a nice supplement to my income, or something to move into if I find teaching isn't for me after a couple of years. Got a long way to go before that happens though!

I've not been to Tasmania before (or anywhere on the east coast for that matter; did a year as an exchange student in Perth), but I've heard a lot good things about it. I'm not really a big city person, so it seems like it'd be a pretty good fit for me.

I think Kodak may have had an older emulsion called Ektar, or the guy might have been getting it confused with one of the old Ektar lenses, or something. I've actually had a lot of people ask me what the hell it is, just because they haven't been following film-related news. Still, if you sell the stuff, you'd think seeing it in the catalogue would be enough...

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MediumWellDone posted:

He scoffed at me and told me that Kodak had stopped making it years ago.
He was right, he just didn't know they made a new film they called the same thing.

But anyway, gently caress most B&M shops for film stuff. The volume is never high enough to make it financially interesting, and the sales staff are universally terrible.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

evil_bunnY posted:

He was right, he just didn't know they made a new film they called the same thing.

But anyway, gently caress most B&M shops for film stuff. The volume is never high enough to make it financially interesting, and the sales staff are universally terrible.

My local B&M camera shop gets most of the B&W Kodak films in (Tri-X, P3200, T-Max, etc.), but the staff buys it up when they get shipments in so all that's left is a couple boxes of T-Max 400 usually. :downs: gently caress those guys

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I think Kodak may have had an older emulsion called Ektar, or the guy might have been getting it confused with one of the old Ektar lenses, or something. I've actually had a lot of people ask me what the hell it is, just because they haven't been following film-related news. Still, if you sell the stuff, you'd think seeing it in the catalogue would be enough...

They used to make Ektar 25 which was amazing according to all the old guys I have heard talk about it.

Edit: Hhhmm, guess it's not that old.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kodak-Ektar-25-Professional-35mm-film-8-rolls-Expired-Date-/250978991433?pt=US_Camera_Film&hash=item3a6f837d49

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Ferris Bueller posted:

A quick test of this would be to find out what their profit margin is compared to other western nations. If its the same they're not price gouging, if it not then yes they're gouge happy.

standard practice for large stores is that they offer to sell you whatever at a few $ above cost, and will even show you the cost price on their computer screen. What they don't say is that that's the cost the store pays to buy from the stores own warehouse, so there is already a healthy margin on it going to the parent company.

For smaller stores, there's massive gouging, but they're not the ones doing it. It's their supply chain and landlords that are ripping them off, and they have no choice but to pass it on or go broke.

If you do come to Aus, bend over and pay the "Australia Tax". This is a country where 2L of Coke usually costs ~US$5.50 (and it's manufactured locally).

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I've not been to Tasmania before (or anywhere on the east coast for that matter; did a year as an exchange student in Perth), but I've heard a lot good things about it. I'm not really a big city person, so it seems like it'd be a pretty good fit for me.

I'm amazed you heard good things about the east coast living in Perth (I grew up over there), they have this idea that that "everyone over east" is out to get them. :tinfoil: But Tasmania is very different to WA, a lot colder with temperate rain forests, Cradle mountain, huge surf waves and lots of really good food (lobsters, apples, cheese, among other things). Tons of things to shoot.

I have to agree with the consensus that the retailers here are gouging us for film, as they can price the chemicals at a reasonable level (maybe 25% more than O/S), but get very silly about film pricing. Chemicals have to be FAR more expensive to get over here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I guess I was just a bit shocked because they'd just developed and printed two rolls of the stuff for me. That being said I can't recommend the island enough. Even though it's a little isolated and backwards at times.

In other news, I just made a trip to the photo shop with all the undeveloped rolls of various C-41 films that I've been sitting on for the last 6 months
Things I'm looking forward to: Remembering great times and interesting sight.
Things I'm not looking forward to: Scanning it all