Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Ah, you're right on the name. Nice. I guess the code wheel part was from another game on the CD. How many games had code wheels back then? Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope

Zaodai posted:

Ah, you're right on the name. Nice. I guess the code wheel part was from another game on the CD. How many games had code wheels back then? Jesus.

I went and read the Wikipedia article on the disks as part of my searching. They were used as copy protection from the late 80s to early 90s. They fell out of favor once photocopiers became more available, and moreso when the CD came out and they had room for DRM.

Based on what little I do know, the game I've been trying to recall is very likely a member of the 1988-1991 family of Falcon games by Spectrum Holobyte. The only one I can confirm used a code wheel is the original Falcon, but Falcon A.T. may have used one as well, was released a year after the original, and has the graphics I remember. I found Gilman Louie's twitter feed, so I'll see if he remembers.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I had F-16 Falcon on the Amiga and I'm pretty sure I remember a 'Truck/Convoy Interdict' mission with some bridge bombing

This one:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/falcon

Looks like 'Truck Interdict" was a mission disk mission but hey. I never played the later ones but they might have reused mission ideas!

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Talked to my dad about it. He said that Falcon/Falcon A.T. sounded familiar, so unless someone has a copy of either and a picture of the codewheel(s), that's about as specific as I'm going to get. Thanks guys!

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Trying to find the name of a side scrolling arcade game.

I don't remember a lot of specifics except you would come across jail doors from time to time and you could let the NPC occupant out and the NPC would fallow you and fight along side of you. I remember one of the NPCs was a ninja or something.

The game would have been from the very late 80's to mid 90's.

edit: VVV drat that was fast!

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 17, 2012

jack.
Sep 1, 2001

Lowen SoDium posted:

Trying to find the name of a side scrolling arcade game.

I don't remember a lot of specifics except you would come across jail doors from time to time and you could let the NPC occupant out and the NPC would fallow you and fight along side of you. I remember one of the NPCs was a ninja or something.

The game would have been from the very late 80's to mid 90's.

Magic Sword

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRXg0AISG4

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
I am trying to remember the name of a game in which you control a helicopter. It was for the Sega Mega Drive. You have to do all sorts of tasks. I remember one level quite well, and another not so well. The very first level takes place in a jungle, and among the tasks were rescue a couple people that were floating in the sea from sharks, another task was to find a smoke signal in the middle of the forest where someone was hidding, and you had to rescue him. The other level I remember I just remember that it was in a really exansive channel or something, and I think most missions you had to do something to either boats or oil drilling platforms.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Medieval Medic posted:

I am trying to remember the name of a game in which you control a helicopter. It was for the Sega Mega Drive. You have to do all sorts of tasks. I remember one level quite well, and another not so well. The very first level takes place in a jungle, and among the tasks were rescue a couple people that were floating in the sea from sharks, another task was to find a smoke signal in the middle of the forest where someone was hidding, and you had to rescue him. The other level I remember I just remember that it was in a really exansive channel or something, and I think most missions you had to do something to either boats or oil drilling platforms.

Has to be one of the <Blank> Strike games. Ironically I don't think "Jungle Strike" started in the jungle, it started in DC. The ones I remember were Desert Strike, Jungle Strike, Soviet Strike and Nuclear Strike. I think the later ones were on PSX though. On balance I have to say Jungle Strike.

Edit: I was forgetting Urban Strike which may also be a possibility.

HoldYourFire fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 17, 2012

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
PS1 or PS2/Xbox generation game. GTA3 (free roam, traffic, pedestrians etc..) like game that takes place in London(?), England. I remember it having a mobster type story but it was free roam. That's all I really remember.

and

PS1 or PS2/Xbox generation game. You play as a somewhat futuristic(?) female(?) cop that I'm pretty sure could drive a police car. I remember grappling along a power line or something. I just remember it being unique because you played as a cop and this was somewhat unique at the time.

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005

err posted:

PS1 or PS2/Xbox generation game. GTA3 (free roam, traffic, pedestrians etc..) like game that takes place in London(?), England. I remember it having a mobster type story but it was free roam. That's all I really remember.

The Getaway?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/ps2/getaway

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

err posted:

PS1 or PS2/Xbox generation game. You play as a somewhat futuristic(?) female(?) cop that I'm pretty sure could drive a police car. I remember grappling along a power line or something. I just remember it being unique because you played as a cop and this was somewhat unique at the time.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/urban-chaos

err
Apr 11, 2005

:stare: drat you guys are good. Thanks!

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
Uhh a strategy or maybe 3D game released in late 90's early 2000's that featured EGGS fighting it out. I remember also there being some form of bomberman esque map type. Really weird.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Genesis game. Hex grid. Set in space, was pre-FFT but played very similarly. I feel like you started with four characters and there was one girl in the party who was like, a healer or had some weird special ability, but that part may be (probably is) wrong.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Neito posted:

Genesis game. Hex grid. Set in space, was pre-FFT but played very similarly. I feel like you started with four characters and there was one girl in the party who was like, a healer or had some weird special ability, but that part may be (probably is) wrong.

Sounds like Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday (I'd link Wikipedia but it's blacked out at the moment)

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Golbez posted:

Sounds like Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday (I'd link Wikipedia but it's blacked out at the moment)

That sounds about right. My friend and I used to rent it and do poor man's 2 player with it (pass the controller back and forth, with all the commiserate yelling. "You're controlling my guy, jerk!").

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

HoldYourFire posted:

Has to be one of the <Blank> Strike games. Ironically I don't think "Jungle Strike" started in the jungle, it started in DC. The ones I remember were Desert Strike, Jungle Strike, Soviet Strike and Nuclear Strike. I think the later ones were on PSX though. On balance I have to say Jungle Strike.

Edit: I was forgetting Urban Strike which may also be a possibility.

Thank you, it was indeed Urban Strike.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I remember watching the review on Xplay, it was some sort of RTS game? Where you controlled ghost to either scare humans, or get them to do something.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Fat_Cow posted:

I remember watching the review on Xplay, it was some sort of RTS game? Where you controlled ghost to either scare humans, or get them to do something.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/ghost-master
http://www.mobygames.com/game/genesis/haunting-starring-polterguy

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone recall the name of a FPS in the fantasy genre from the late 90's in which every creature you meet is a sprite of some kind of claymation animation?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Rando posted:

Anyone recall the name of a FPS in the fantasy genre from the late 90's in which every creature you meet is a sprite of some kind of claymation animation?
Sounds like one of the Witchaven games.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Well poo poo, that's it...and fast too. Thank you.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Old NES or possibly Sega Genesis game. It was about two fighters having a street brawl and the objective was to win the fight without getting caught by the cops, who would drive by every once in a while.

I also remember flower pots could fall on your head and other random stuff like that.

edit thanks

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 22, 2012

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Away all Goats posted:

Old NES or possibly Sega Genesis game. It was about two fighters having a street brawl and the objective was to win the fight without getting caught by the cops, who would drive by every once in a while.

I also remember flower pots could fall on your head and other random stuff like that.

Urban Champion, for NES.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

There was a DOS game from the late 80s - early 90s, it was a 3/4 isometric view action/platform game where you played as a snakeman(?). I *think* it was called Cobra, but I'm not sure. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

tojarg
Mar 27, 2010

Oh hey. What's up.
This is really old, but I remember an NES racing game. The key features I remember: It is top down, indie racing, the front and back of the cars could be set on fire from crashing, and a pit stop existed to not only re-fuel but repair the broken ends.

Any idea? Had 2 player support also.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

tojarg posted:

This is really old, but I remember an NES racing game. The key features I remember: It is top down, indie racing, the front and back of the cars could be set on fire from crashing, and a pit stop existed to not only re-fuel but repair the broken ends.

Any idea? Had 2 player support also.

Sounds like Danny Sullivan's Indy Heat

err
Apr 11, 2005

SNES game that was like hockey but with space vehicle things. It was a third person view and you shot a disc around trying to get it into a goal or something.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

err posted:

SNES game that was like hockey but with space vehicle things. It was a third person view and you shot a disc around trying to get it into a goal or something.
Ballblazer Champions or something like that?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
There was a thread for the game but I can't find it. It's a PS1 game heavily inspired by Twin Peaks/Lost Highway and is sort of inbetween Silent Hill 1 and Deadly Premonition in its structure (definitely a PS1 adventure game but with a large town to explore and such).

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
There is an upcoming indy game that is a puzzle platformer where you can twist the 2D world on it's axis to show the other sides of the building/world. It one some "best game" award at some indy games convention.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

xcore posted:

There is an upcoming indy game that is a puzzle platformer where you can twist the 2D world on it's axis to show the other sides of the building/world. It one some "best game" award at some indy games convention.

Fez. It's never coming out :smith:

VVVVV Quoted the wrong post :banjo:

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jan 26, 2012

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Hakkesshu posted:

Fez. It's never coming out :smith:

This is as I mentioned a few times for PS1 and not 360/PC...

Either way I found it, Mizzurna Falls:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puzDxJdRFHQ

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

xcore posted:

If you need a fix, try One-Bit Ninja or Percepto on iOS. There's also Crush for the PSP, which is pretty decent.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

xcore posted:

Is it Sideway: New York?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrKnkw1C4ik&t=50s

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

xcore posted:

Gonna guess Echochrome

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

xcore posted:

Could be Dwarf Fortress....but no, it's Fez.

tojarg
Mar 27, 2010

Oh hey. What's up.

Juc66 posted:

Sounds like Danny Sullivan's Indy Heat

Yes! Thank you.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I have some vague memories of a really old game.

CGA graphics, isometric perspective.
You controlled some sort of plane/spaceship flying over a cyan trail (occasonally the trail disappeared and you seemed to be fying in space. You could move the ship forward/backward, to the sides and adjust the fying height. The trail areas started and ended with a huge magenta brick wall with only a little bit of room to pass through at the top. There were also some of those brick walls throughout the trail which had a bigger gap, but had electricity/forcefields/zigzag lines that you had to avoid.

I remember rockets being fired grom the ground, missiles flying towrds you, som sort of sattelite-like thing in the space areas, and a boss that looked like a control booth with a missile attached. I never understood that one beyond 'shoot at it a lot before it shoots back' which I think worked occasionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Nostalgamus posted:

I have some vague memories of a really old game.

CGA graphics, isometric perspective.
You controlled some sort of plane/spaceship flying over a cyan trail (occasonally the trail disappeared and you seemed to be fying in space. You could move the ship forward/backward, to the sides and adjust the fying height. The trail areas started and ended with a huge magenta brick wall with only a little bit of room to pass through at the top. There were also some of those brick walls throughout the trail which had a bigger gap, but had electricity/forcefields/zigzag lines that you had to avoid.

I remember rockets being fired grom the ground, missiles flying towrds you, som sort of sattelite-like thing in the space areas, and a boss that looked like a control booth with a missile attached. I never understood that one beyond 'shoot at it a lot before it shoots back' which I think worked occasionally.

Zaxxon.