Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I'm thinking the blood from Dirk may be him killing DD. Remember, Jack Noir told CD that he was going to send "the Dignitary" after the Derse dreamers, and that's DD. Maybe he was going to target Dirk first, but since Dirk seemed to know what was going on, he killed DD before DD got a chance to kill him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

YggiDee posted:

Actually, forget asking how he God-Tier'd, there's all sorts of loopholes for that sort of thing. I want to know what the hell killed him. He must have done something pretty crazy.

Considering it's Karkat I'd go heroic death.

Time for speculations:

As to the distance the meteor is from the session, unless the new kids are gonna spend a few weeks playing the game before the old kids arrive, the meteor has to be pretty close from thier perspective in any case. The presence of Rose in the dreambubbles near the new session also doesn't really mean much, since dreambubbles can be traversed by linked memories, she could have entered via a dreambubble waaaay out in paradox space and just travelled there. And she has pretty clearly got there just from going to sleep, the same way jade used to, as if she was PHYSICALLY there she probably wouldn't need to wake up.

Jasper is on Derse. I wonder if this means there will be some kind of Shenanigans here, a la Cal, as this pretty clearly means there are two separate cats.

Karkat's wings aren't visible because he has little, stubby nub wings that are covered up by his cape.

If Dirk killed DD, I'm loving impressed. Dave couldn't take him out until he was WELL into the game, Bro's been doing some echeladder grinding it seems

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Remember that not everyone in Dream Bubbles are dead, or are from the current time. Dream Bubbles exist outside of time, universes, and can be visited by anyone alive physically (as Roxy just did), in their dreams (as we know Rose just did on the Meteor), and are permanently inhabited by the dead (including dead variants of people such as beta-selves, dream selves, etc).

So Karkat appearing there in the God Tier could be any number of things. It could be a delusion, it could be a beta-timeline, or it could just be a current or future Karkat dreaming (or dead) after he reached the God Tier somehow.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Reading these responses, I was wondering why no one was bringing up Karkat's white eyes. Must've edited the flash right away.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Zorak posted:

Remember that not everyone in Dream Bubbles are dead, or are from the current time. Dream Bubbles exist outside of time, universes, and can be visited by anyone alive physically (as Roxy just did), in their dreams (as we know Rose just did on the Meteor), and are permanently inhabited by the dead (including dead variants of people such as beta-selves, dream selves, etc).

So Karkat appearing there in the God Tier could be any number of things. It could be a delusion, it could be a beta-timeline, or it could just be a current or future Karkat dreaming (or dead) after he reached the God Tier somehow.

He's definitely dead, he has ghost eyes. I don't think we've seen actual people be memory figments before, either - they're always actually present, just acting out memories. Like Sollux and Aradia have a conversation they had before but both of them are actually themselves, not facsimiles. That leaves Beta Karkat or Alpha Karkat who somehow reached God Tier and died after the present time. The latter seems unlikely but I suppose it is possible!

e: we're totally gonna get to see though, and I love that. Homestuck is like crystallised fanfic, and every so often it dips into an AU.

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 21, 2012

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Nate RFB posted:

Reading these responses, I was wondering why no one was bringing up Karkat's white eyes. Must've edited the flash right away.

I dunno how you forget something as important as that.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Android Blues posted:

He's definitely dead, he has ghost eyes.

He just edited that in so it wasn't us missing it, it was him forgetting :argh:

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Prison Warden posted:

Considering it's Karkat I'd go heroic death.

Time for speculations:

As to the distance the meteor is from the session, unless the new kids are gonna spend a few weeks playing the game before the old kids arrive, the meteor has to be pretty close from thier perspective in any case. The presence of Rose in the dreambubbles near the new session also doesn't really mean much, since dreambubbles can be traversed by linked memories, she could have entered via a dreambubble waaaay out in paradox space and just travelled there. And she has pretty clearly got there just from going to sleep, the same way jade used to, as if she was PHYSICALLY there she probably wouldn't need to wake up.

Jasper is on Derse. I wonder if this means there will be some kind of Shenanigans here, a la Cal, as this pretty clearly means there are two separate cats.

Karkat's wings aren't visible because he has little, stubby nub wings that are covered up by his cape.

If Dirk killed DD, I'm loving impressed. Dave couldn't take him out until he was WELL into the game, Bro's been doing some echeladder grinding it seems

On the note of Dirk's possible elimination of DD, what comes to my mind is Scratch's description of his involvement in the done-over Alternia: toughening up players before they enter their session. I feel that, if Dirk did kill DD, the post-Scratch toughening effect could have played into it.

I'm most likely wrong though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
E: Never/mind I think you meant Hussie forgot, right?

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

You can find this and other great titles at your local library
Haha, there is already fan art of Karkat with tiny little wings.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
That flash was amazing. :aaa:

KoB
May 1, 2009

Pessimism posted:

Also Pimpquis

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I absolutely love how we see the backside of the "Derse" letters in the beginning. Perfect.

So Nepeta did have to die to be with Karkat. Frankly I'm glad it turned out this way, since I was thinking it was pointing to a Nepetasprite. Whether it's Beta Karkat or not, I still believe Karkat will die For Real before this comic is over.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Karkat may not have wings also because he is a "mutant".

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Pessimism posted:

It never fails to amaze me how quick the fanart turnaround is in this fandom. I am also going to claim that I invented the karkat's nubby wings theory. I am the star

It's me

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Prison Warden posted:

It never fails to amaze me how quick the fanart turnaround is in this fandom. I am also going to claim that I invented the karkat's nubby wings theory. I am the star

It's me

and THEN
the big artist comes
for a
a little one on one

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Anyone else notice that Equius' man-cave looks surprisingly similar to the cave his ancestor hid in after he was banished for failing to kill The Disciple?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Also interesting that there appears to be a dream version of Jaspers as well.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

closeted republican posted:

Anyone else notice that Equius' man-cave looks surprisingly similar to the cave his ancestor hid in after he was banished for failing to kill The Disciple?

It's also rather similar to where his second gate was.

EDIT: Whoops, same building, pretty much. I had to rewatch.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

closeted republican posted:

Which was itself a callback to that same cave: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=004183

e:f,b

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Prison Warden posted:

It's me

Nah, in this case I've seen at least one that was drawn about three weeks ago.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Hussie's Tumblr posted:

Sleepwalk notes
Song: Even in Death by Plazmataz, from Volume 7.

Two word answer to FAQ “I don’t get it”: dream bubbles.
I probably wouldn’t have even bothered with the animation if I didn’t make the little SOPA blackout animation that preceded it. Once that was there it just seemed like a good springboard for a bigger animation. Otherwise I probably would have just made a few static panels, and likely not conveyed nearly as much.
And I only came up with the idea for the SOPA blackout flash-redirect on the same day it was posted.
The seat of my pants is like a magic carpet, and I am singing to you while we swoop over Arabia. You are Jasmine, and you’re smitten as hell.
Jaffar is all the congressmen who got owned yesterday.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Jewel posted:

Incoming Aladin with Hussie's face photoshop

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I noticed that Alternia's lavender moon showed up rather prominently in the background just as Roxy and Rose were approaching each other.

I think it's been specifically mentioned in text only a couple times (once as "the unbitten moon" for some reason); has there ever been any speculation as to its significance? There's a large tower-like structure that's always visible on its surface whenever it appears; there's no way it's not going to end up being important -- everything always does in this comic -- but Hussie seems to be playing his cards especially close with this.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
That Tumblr post has been up for 17 minutes already. Where is my Hussie as Aladdin fanart?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pessimism posted:

I need to see this.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I see two images so far on ib.skaia.net.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

A good poster posted:

I see two images so far on ib.skaia.net.
That first one is pretty absurdly high quality considering the amount of time people have had to draw.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There's this, narrated with "what if he just had really tiny, utterly rubbish wings". This was posted as a followup right after the flash. I wouldn't call them 'quality', but drawing Karkat as a neurotic gremlin is never a wrong choice.

e: and to be fair, Karkat's God-Tier design has been accessible for over a month now.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Or, third option: Only girls have wings?

Doubtful, the Summoner had wings. Link

Miracon posted:

If that's the case, then hopefully MSPA doesn't pull a Gurren-Lagann and force them to bust out. :ohdear:
What the gently caress do you mean doesn't? That would be the best thing. All the dead characters coming back and whooping on Lord English with a final attack the size of the Universe?

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Fucknag posted:

What the gently caress do you mean doesn't? That would be the best thing. All the dead characters coming back and whooping on Lord English with a final attack the size of the Universe?

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if this is in fact what Aradia is staying behind to coordinate.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
A few pages late, but

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

I... think this is done? I'm not sure. I still have a few weeks to work on it but I don't really know where else to go with it.

Edit: Changed the link to a more up to date one.

Edit2: I don't know why I did this

Love both of these. Particularly the 8-bit one, though that's probably just my personal tastes talking.

God Tier Karkat is probably just a dead one who managed to ascend from a beta timeline. The dead eyes, the fact he's with Nepeta. Calls back to the whole Vriska/Beta John meetup. ... Unless of course this is Alpha Karkat after the fact, and the reason his land is mashed with Nepeta's is because he prototyped her to get into the post-scratch Medium, and the Nepeta we're seeing isn't his sprite, but the 'alpha' one. :tinfoil: Yeah I seriously doubt most of that but it is Homestuck after all. I just hope we get to find out how he got the tiger either way, beta or no.

fakeedit: Occasionally I check the wiki after an update to see what people throw in there and apparently this page exists. Only this comic, man.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Agreeing with some of the theories posted here. My best guess is that Roxy entered a dream bubble with Rose, Equius, Nepeta, Karkat, Terezi, Kanaya and some Aradias in it. Dream bubbles are filled with intersections, so it's not unusual that everyone's memories were running together as they did.

It also looks to confirm that while Team Meteor is in transit they'll be able to sleep on the meteor and visit the dream bubbles, hanging out with the dead trolls. My bet is that with the exception of the robo-Aradias those were all the alpha-dead, and that in the case of Equius and Nepeta their real and dream selves merged on death. Not sure how to explain seemingly-dead god-tier Karkat, though, except perhaps that Nepeta imagined him that way (or he's totally a figment) to keep her company.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Rhinoceraptor posted:

If we're in a dream bubble, wouldn't Nepeta's eyes be blank?

What? I just watched it, her eyes were blank.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Cabbit posted:

Hussie hosed up and did a stealth edit.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Cabbit posted:

The flash was edited. Originally, Karkat and Nepeta's eyes were normal.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
What the gently caress happened to Karkat.

We are like 20 pages into this sub act and I already want to go back to the intermission so we can find out what happened.

Goddamn it Hussie you loving tease.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I suddenly understand jack poo poo.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

FINALLY, Homestuck's best character comes back to for at least a brief appearance. And not a moment too soon, I was about to give up on this whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.
The stuff with Nepeta and Equuis seems like it could be red herrings. The two robo-Aradias are obviously just more beta versions from the King fight.

The biggest mystery is what Frigglish is doing on Derse.