Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Boom. Certificate of Eligibility. 29 days post application. Not bad.

Also probably managed a solid B on my first Academic Examination in 7 years today. 2 silly mistakes are gonna cost me, and it gave me a loving migraine (feels a lot like a pulled muscle lol).

Solid educational fuckin' day right there gentlemen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

GD_American posted:

Goddamnit. Go to class Tuesday night, both classes cancelled for low enrollment. It just so happens to be the last day of drop/add.

I get the head of the Business department to fit me into some daytime classes (have to quit my job now, no biggie guys, right?), and asked him to drop my nighttime science class. Checked my schedule last night- science class is still there.

Get up early, go to drop that class. Stop by VA counselor to let him know to change my paperwork. Am told that since it's after drop/add, I'm on the hook for half of the loving class. Despite it being the head of the Business school's fault. Can't go curse him out, he teaches one of my classes. So 19 credit hours and unemployment here I come.

I thought I was done swallowing weenie when I got my DD214. It continues.

Dean of student affairs. Right meow.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
These questions are going to seem kind of 'spergy, considering I'm not even in school yet, but...

1) What is the process that schools use to Pro-Rate my BAH each month? For example, the school I will be going to has a 3 day break in October; will the school's certifying official subtract those days from my BAH, or do they ignore such a small break? Also, is my BAH rated through the entirety of scheduled Exam Week, or is it only to MY final exam. I'm trying to figure out what kind of BAH money I can be expecting next year with the pro-rating calculated in.

2) Let's say I finish my undergraduate degree in 36 months and have 3 benefit days left, due to holiday breaks, time off, etc. What benefits do I get when I go graduate school? (This is just an extreme example, but I think it would clear things up for me) What can I anticipate for BAH, tuition, book fees?

Edit:

Roving Reporter provided the answer earlier in the thread--

Roving Reporter posted:

It means that of your 36 months of benefits, only the time you are enrolled is deducted from the total. Say your semester is from Oct. 1 to Dec. 15th and doesn't start again till January 2nd. You only have 2 months and 15 days deducted from the total vs 3 months. Previously, if you went to school in both Fall and the Spring, you would get paid the full BAH for December and you would have used 3 months of benefits. Now, you get pro-rated BAH(less money) between semesters, but you save more time.

Later on, you start graduate school with only 13 days of benefits left in September. The VA will pay for that entire semester even if you only have 13 days of benefits left, hence the 'could be more than $10,000 later on'.

sharkbomb fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 14, 2012

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Its a simple prorated formula based on the full month's BAH. For example, your monthly BAH is $1300 for a full 30 days. You're in school for only 20 that month. 20/X = 30/1300. Cross multiply and divide ends up being $866 for that month. I've had breaks that only last a week but they were taken away and prorated. Usually it goes off of your school's official academic calendar, so it's not YOUR last final day, it's the end of finals week entirely.

I'm pretty sure if you had 3 days left, the VA will pay for the semester tuition wise, but you'll only get 3 days prorated BAH for that first month and nothing more. Not sure on books though, I'm sure Vasudus knows more details.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Your certifying official has two options when they put you into VA-ONCE: they can gently caress you, or they can be your friend.

Example: Your school's semester starts on the 23rd of January and ends the 15th of May. You personally do not have classes on the 23rd when school starts, and you have a few classes that end a day or two early for whatever reason when the semester is ending. Additionally, you have spring break which lasts a week.

If your certifying official is your friend, you are certified full time from 1/23 to 5/12. One cert, done. This is 100% legal.

If your certifying official is out to gently caress you, then your cert notes that you personally start classes later than the 23rd, takes out time for spring break or even federal holidays. This is also 100% legal.

The problem lies in several areas, notably the fact that the school's certifying official might have never had anything to do with the military in any possible way until this additional duty was thrown on them. They treat VA-ONCE certs like they do any other form of financial aid because the rules are much more strict with stuff like loans and pell grants. They don't know any better, and probably never will have the opportunity to.

The other problem is the fact that the VA-ONCE guidelines are vague as gently caress for being a 200+ page document. All it says it to make sure that you accurately report student credit loads and takes 45 pages to say it. Well, you're listed on school records as being enrolled from 1/23 to 5/12 right? So...it's not like you aren't enrolled during spring break, or you magically are only half enrolled because one or two classes start the day after the semester starts. Combine that with what I said about most certifying officials and there you go.

gently caress me, that was a long winded way to say "if your rep sucks he's gonna gently caress you".

Also as of August of 2011 they prorate EVERYTHING. So 3 days of benefits means they figure out magical space math to prorate your tuition/fees too. Used to be 3 days = full semester of tuition/fees and 3 days of BAH.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I live in WI and am Guard who has never deployed.

So bascially, CH1606 + state tuition waiver, + FAFSA = get monies, go to school?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

DoktorLoken posted:

I live in WI and am Guard who has never deployed.

So bascially, CH1606 + state tuition waiver, + FAFSA = get monies, go to school?

Yes.

346/mo full time from 1606, whatever the waiver saves you and whatever FAFSA gives you.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

In state tuition is free so the only thing Post 9/11 would give is a little more via BAH I guess. Right?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

DoktorLoken posted:

In state tuition is free so the only thing Post 9/11 would give is a little more via BAH I guess. Right?

By in state tuition do you mean the entire bill (what most people think is "tuition") or just the tuition component with you paying fees (which is what your actual bill comprises of).

Example: My classes this coming semester cost a non-veteran about 3.5k for 6 graduate credits in tuition and fees. Being a veteran, the tuition component is waived, leaving me with about 1500 dollars in fees to pay. I'm not paying tuition, I'm paying the remaining component of my bill.

Also the 1606 vs. BAH thing is extremely subjective. The national average for BAH is 674 dollars or so, meaning that 1606 pays (on average) about half of what Post 9/11 does. Except in my area, where my BAH is 2225. Quite a bit of difference.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Yea no problem. I'm on leave right now so give me a few days. Once I get to Tampa I'll give you my email.

I wish could stay on leave forever.

No worries, just shoot me a PM whenever. I've got the rough draft ready to go.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
CERTIFICATE OF ELIGIBILITY GET!!!!

I am finally fully complete with signing up for school.

Six classes left until I am a college graduate. Eleven years after I started :unsmith:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

xwonderboyx posted:

CERTIFICATE OF ELIGIBILITY GET!!!!

I am finally fully complete with signing up for school.

Six classes left until I am a college graduate. Eleven years after I started :unsmith:

Hi Five buddy! I just turned mine in yesterday morning!

t_bright
May 28, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What the gently caress is up with the VA?

I haven't received my book stipend yet. My school hasn't gotten payed. I'm into the third week of school and I have not bought my textbooks yet. My college is literally sending me bills...:confused:

Has anyone had this happen to them before? When I called them they said it would be payed by the second week of Jan. at the latest.

At this point I've lost complete faith in the VA.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

t_bright posted:

I haven't received my book stipend yet. My school hasn't gotten payed. I'm into the third week of school and I have not bought my textbooks yet. My college is literally sending me bills...:confused:

Has anyone had this happen to them before? When I called them they said it would be payed by the second week of Jan. at the latest.

Are you positive that there is an active certificate in VA-ONCE? You need to scream at your certifying official to check for one.

There really isn't a good reason for the delay - spring semester is usually not very busy compared to fall. This poo poo should not happen.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Funny store from yesterday. I was dropping off my Gi Bill cert with the VA peeps, and in passing I asked if there was anywhere to get....you know....just regular coffee. The guy working the counter literally looked heartbroken that noone had told me about the Coffee Pot in the lounge. And then I dumped the coffee very appreciatively into my mug, and another lady that works in the office scurried in to make a fresh pot.

It was awesome.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
So how do I change what bank account the VA gives me money in?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

gleep glop posted:

So how do I change what bank account the VA gives me money in?

Gotta call. I don't know why you can't do it online other than because.

1-888-442-4551.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Vasudus posted:

Gotta call. I don't know why you can't do it online other than because.

1-888-442-4551.

drat it. Thank you.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

So, I've got my CoE turned into the school and just got more mail from the VA today outlining the amounts paid to the school and my person.

Should I interpret this that all the correct buttons have been hit and I should be receiving fat stacks on the 31st?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

SquirrelyPSU posted:

So, I've got my CoE turned into the school and just got more mail from the VA today outlining the amounts paid to the school and my person.

Should I interpret this that all the correct buttons have been hit and I should be receiving fat stacks on the 31st?

Yep. You should be getting your book stipend any day now if you haven't gotten it already. Remember it's 24CR/year, so taking 12CR is 500 bucks. Adjust as necessary based on your classes.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I forget, does 24cr/year clock start Aug 1st or Jan 1st?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Roving Reporter posted:

I forget, does 24cr/year clock start Aug 1st or Jan 1st?

It's academic year, so August.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
So, if I went to school for '11 summer semester, '11 fall, I should still expect 500 for '12 spring semester?

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Ok, so I turned in my coe to the school someone around the first week of january. I haven't received poo poo back from the va yet, I checked ebenefits and they don't have anything from me yet. I did get spammed with a ton of va emails earlier in the week, not sure if that means anything. how long should I wait before I start to panic?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

bengy81 posted:

Ok, so I turned in my coe to the school someone around the first week of january. I haven't received poo poo back from the va yet, I checked ebenefits and they don't have anything from me yet. I did get spammed with a ton of va emails earlier in the week, not sure if that means anything. how long should I wait before I start to panic?

You have a few options:

Talk to your school certifying official first, depending on their availability, and ask them if/when the certified you.

Talk to the VA over the phone (1-888-442-4551) and ask them about your certification. If there isn't one entered, you have to talk to your certifying official at school anyway.

In the event that a cert was indeed entered, your school should be paid approximately 3 weeks after that date. Your book stipend will arrive about 2 weeks after certification, and your checks on the last workday of the month, unless it's backpay in which it arrives 5-7 business days after certification.

front wing flexing posted:

So, if I went to school for '11 summer semester, '11 fall, I should still expect 500 for '12 spring semester?

Yes, because Summer 2011 is AY2010-2011. Fall 2011/Spring 2012 is AY2011-2012. Take whatever you got from Fall 2011 and subtract it from 1,000 and that's what your maximum can be for Spring 2012. If you take classes in Summer 2012, you might not end up getting anything for books.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Oh sweet, so since I wasn't in school for Fall, its just a flat 1k a year no matter when you started? That's pretty cool.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Oh sweet, so since I wasn't in school for Fall, its just a flat 1k a year no matter when you started? That's pretty cool.

If you start in Spring you have a maximum of 1,000 dollars split over 24 credit hours to be taken before August 1st. So if you're doing 15CR in the Spring, and take 9CR over the Summer, you will cap it. If you take under 24 credit hours in that time period, anything remaining is lost. Unfortunately, they don't just cut you a check for 1k without strings.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Vasudus posted:

Yes, because Summer 2011 is AY2010-2011. Fall 2011/Spring 2012 is AY2011-2012. Take whatever you got from Fall 2011 and subtract it from 1,000 and that's what your maximum can be for Spring 2012. If you take classes in Summer 2012, you might not end up getting anything for books.

Does this work for the 17.5k cap per year for tuition? So if I start in the spring I can use up the whole 17.5k in one semester and then in the fall it starts a new year?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Does this work for the 17.5k cap per year for tuition? So if I start in the spring I can use up the whole 17.5k in one semester and then in the fall it starts a new year?

Yes, actually it does. If you start in Spring you get one extra cycle out of them. Until they figure it out and close that loophole to save 500k over 15 years or some poo poo.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Vasudus posted:

Yes, actually it does. If you start in Spring you get one extra cycle out of them. Until they figure it out and close that loophole to save 500k over 15 years or some poo poo.

Oh I hope that stays around for a little while. I was trying to go to culinary school in the spring before I start my MBA. That would be sweet if I can pull that off.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Vasudus posted:

If you start in Spring you have a maximum of 1,000 dollars split over 24 credit hours to be taken before August 1st. So if you're doing 15CR in the Spring, and take 9CR over the Summer, you will cap it. If you take under 24 credit hours in that time period, anything remaining is lost. Unfortunately, they don't just cut you a check for 1k without strings.

Capped, for the 11-12 AY. Thats a hell of a deal if you aren't using benefit months.

I mean, its only beneficial for a very specific situation, but that is my specific situation, so it kicks rear end.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Vasudus posted:

poo poo like this is exactly why it's so much nicer being in VR&E. Let this serve as a reminder, if you have 10% service connected/20% VA disability, get into Voc Rehab now. No bullshit cap on books/supplies for credit hours and you can get a book voucher from your cashiers' office weeks before classes start.

There is literally no reason not to take VR&E if you're eligible, unless you only plan on dicking around in college and not seriously working on a degree.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
A year of being unemployed and still didn't qualify for a grant. Just how poor do you have to be to get one? I've already gone over $1k for books in the second quarter of the year. :( I haven't filed taxes yet, still waiting on documents in the mail so the numbers could change in my favor.

In the VA work study program, is there a limit to the hours you can work in between enrollment periods?

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Vasudus, are you gonna be around during the week? I want to ask you about the kicker thing.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Sarah posted:

In the VA work study program, is there a limit to the hours you can work in between enrollment periods?

I don't think you can work between enrollment periods, but I'm not sure as I'm still waiting to hear back about my SF85.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Spongebob Tampax posted:

I don't think you can work between enrollment periods, but I'm not sure as I'm still waiting to hear back about my SF85.

From gibill.va.gov :

You may work during or between periods of enrollment. You can arrange with VA to work any number of hours you want during your enrollment. But, the total number of hours you work can’t be more than 25 times the number of weeks in your enrollment period.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Cage Kicker posted:

Vasudus, are you gonna be around during the week? I want to ask you about the kicker thing.

Yeah, I'll be in Monday from 10 or 11am to 1pm because I'm still playing nurse/packmule/driver.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Sarah posted:

From gibill.va.gov :

You may work during or between periods of enrollment. You can arrange with VA to work any number of hours you want during your enrollment. But, the total number of hours you work can’t be more than 25 times the number of weeks in your enrollment period.

Aha, thank you. I never looked at that site.

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr

Spongebob Tampax posted:

poo poo like this is exactly why it's so much nicer being in VR&E. Let this serve as a reminder, if you have 10% service connected/20% VA disability, get into Voc Rehab now. No bullshit cap on books/supplies for credit hours and you can get a book voucher from your cashiers' office weeks before classes start.

There is literally no reason not to take VR&E if you're eligible, unless you only plan on dicking around in college and not seriously working on a degree.
What's this all about? I really have no clear understanding of what Voc Rehab is for, I thought you had to have a job? I have 60% disability and I am using the 9/11 gi bill and I'm pretty broke, working on my undergraduate degree for computer science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr

t_bright posted:

Yeah, this happens a lot. All I can say is good luck through what is probably a really hard time for you. About a year ago I was in the same boat and I was planning on moving out of my apartment after 2 months of living there and trying to figure out how to sell my car so that I wouldn't end up actually owing carmax.

Your school shouldn't be sending you bills, the VA rep should talk to accounting. Otherwise, you might need to set up a short term loan for your classes, to be paid off when the GI Bill comes in.

I haven't received anything from the VA for school yet either, and I was saved in the nick of time by the Pell grants I applied for at the last minute. So, at least I will be able to pay for my rent this month and get my books if they aren't all sold out.

• Locked thread