Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

BRJohnson posted:

http://julytomato.tumblr.com/post/13160554081/in-depth-browned-butter-sugar-cookies
I decided to try this one too, but I'm having an issue with part of the recipe
"This is a stick and a half of butter that was heated over a medium fire until the milkfat caramelized and turned an amazingly deep nutty brown."
I'm then asked to cream the sugar with the 'chilled butter'. I don't understand the process he's describing of melting (separating?) the butter but then being able to cream it (after hours of refrigeration?). Is this necessary to complete the recipe or can I cream it the same way I did with the first (start chilled, cut it into small pieces and stir until it was workable to cream).

The whole point of this recipe is browning the butter. You aren't just melting it, you're cooking it until the solids turn brown. Totally changes the flavor and is what makes this different from a plain sugar cookie or shortbread recipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It's pretty simple, just heat it up until it's brown: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw8hT47NNyg

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
Is there a name to describe the flavor profile of cinammon/nutmeg/allspice/clove etc...?

The only thing I can think of is 'Christmas' and I'm pretty sure that's not it.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Tots posted:

Is there a name to describe the flavor profile of cinammon/nutmeg/allspice/clove etc...?

Those sound like the kinds of spices you put into mulled cider. I'm not sure if "mulled" is the word you're looking for.

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
Symptoms include swelling of the brain (encephalitis), numbness, muscle weakness, coma, and death.
I'd call them "warm".

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Tots posted:

I often see them referred to as holiday spices.

I would also maybe toss out the word "woody" to describe them, maybe.

Anjow posted:

What do Chinese century eggs taste like?

Somewhere between pickle and soy sauce?

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Randomity posted:

The whole point of this recipe is browning the butter. You aren't just melting it, you're cooking it until the solids turn brown. Totally changes the flavor and is what makes this different from a plain sugar cookie or shortbread recipe.

Do I then mix the liquid brown butter in with the sugar? I just feel like it's supposed to be solid to be 'creamed', will it harden up if I put it in the fridge?

ExtraFox
May 22, 2003

~all of these candy~

GrAviTy84 posted:

Ok, so you said that you were in it to impress and that you want something that is labor intensive, the following may be a bit too much on the labor intensive, but I'm going to suggest it anyway because, well, you asked for it.

Appetizer: Thomas Keller's Oysters and Pearls
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Oysters-and-Pearls-105859

First Course: Uova da Raviolo
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/mario-batali/uova-da-raviolo-ravioli-with-an-egg-inside-recipe/index.html

Second Course: Beef Wellington, Port Wine Demiglace.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfM_7uwH_Jw
For the demi, just take a rich gelatinous veal or beef stock add some tomato paste and a cup or so of ruby port and reduce down until it coats the back of a spoon. warning, will take the better part of a day, not exaggerating and you need to start with something like 1 gal of stock to make something like half a cup of demi.

Sides:
Pommes Paves
http://www.recipebinder.co.uk/recipe.aspx?rid=32011

and some sort of green sauteed in brown butter, kale or haricots verts would work well.

Dessert: Butterscotch Budino with rosemary and pine nut cookies
http://www.jamesbeard.org/index.php?q=recipes/show/butterscotch_budino_with_caramel_sauce_and_rosemary_pine_nut_cookies

If you'd rather make something that is actually very easy but appears hard so that you can actually spend parts of that weekend with your boyfriend instead of cooking the whole time:

Appetizer: Crostini Toscane http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/mario-batali/tusca-crostini-crostini-toscane-recipe/index.html

First Course: Seared scallops, bearnaise, watercress
Cheat with the bearnaise by building it in a blender: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/filet-mignon-with-blender-bearnaise-recipe2/index.html
sear the scallops in butter.
plate bearnaise first, then water cress, top with scallops.
---or---
Seared sesame crusted ahi tuna, sesame ponzu, arugula
roll the tuna in sesame seeds and sear in a very hot (not nonstick) pan, very quickly on all sides. Slice thin, and against the grain. Mix ponzu and toasted sesame oil with a bit of sugar to taste. Toss some arugula in the dressing, serve the tuna on top with a little drizzle of more dressing.

Second Course:
Braised shortribs
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/anne-burrell/braised-short-ribs-recipe/index.html
Hasselback Potatoes
http://www.seasaltwithfood.com/2009/05/hasselback-potatoes.html
Creamed Spinach
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/creamed-spinach-recipe2/index.html

Dessert:
Chocolate pots de creme
http://mymadisonbistro.com/archives/chocolate-pots-de-creme
Brown butter shortbreads
http://julytomato.tumblr.com/post/13160554081/in-depth-browned-butter-sugar-cookies

A lot of this stuff requires things like food processors, blenders, etc. Might want to call the hotel and ask what kinds of things the kitchen will be equipped with, before you finalize a menu.

Holy poo poo, you are amazing. Whatever the hotel doesn't have I can bring from home, and both of these look wonderful. Thank you so much!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

BRJohnson posted:

Do I then mix the liquid brown butter in with the sugar? I just feel like it's supposed to be solid to be 'creamed', will it harden up if I put it in the fridge?

Yes, butter turns solid again if you chill it.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
I wanna make pulled-pork sandwiches but I don't have a smoker and if I did it's gonna be around 0 Fahrenheit for the next week so that's out. My plan at the moment is buying a big ol' shoulder and sticking it in my ~8-pound dutch oven in my oven at 225 for, eh, 12 hours or so. Now I'm worried about this thing drying out and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to season the thing with anything that's not S&P or a mire poix. Any advice? I'm not going for anything too wild on the spices, just a good, solid pork-y baseline and my diners can add whatever they want on it.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

scuz posted:

I wanna make pulled-pork sandwiches but I don't have a smoker and if I did it's gonna be around 0 Fahrenheit for the next week so that's out. My plan at the moment is buying a big ol' shoulder and sticking it in my ~8-pound dutch oven in my oven at 225 for, eh, 12 hours or so. Now I'm worried about this thing drying out and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to season the thing with anything that's not S&P or a mire poix. Any advice? I'm not going for anything too wild on the spices, just a good, solid pork-y baseline and my diners can add whatever they want on it.

Skin doused with Worchestershire sauce and packed with brown sugar. Throw an onion and as much garlic as you can find in there. Put a lid on it and call it a day.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Anybody have a good recipe for barbacoa? I've got an eye round roast and a slow cooker, I figure that should be a start.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

ExtraFox posted:

Holy poo poo, you are amazing. Whatever the hotel doesn't have I can bring from home, and both of these look wonderful. Thank you so much!

OH! If you can bring things from home, that makes some of this less labor intensive, at least on the day of serving. I would make as much as I could before the final cooking step as possible at home, then finish the dishes at the hotel.

ExtraFox
May 22, 2003

~all of these candy~

GrAviTy84 posted:

OH! If you can bring things from home, that makes some of this less labor intensive, at least on the day of serving. I would make as much as I could before the final cooking step as possible at home, then finish the dishes at the hotel.

I was thinking the same thing. The hotel is in my city, he just can never stay there because he's deathly allergic to cats and dogs and there are four cats and one dog in this house. Seriously, thanks again!

edit: vvv For sure. :)

ExtraFox fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 20, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

ExtraFox posted:

I was thinking the same thing. The hotel is in my city, he just can never stay there because he's deathly allergic to cats and dogs and there are four cats and one dog in this house. Seriously, thanks again!

Let us know how it goes!

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I tried making this last weekend:

http://www.foodbuzz.com/recipes/1167476-bhuna-gosht-or-lamb-bhuna

And it didn't turn out that great, probably due to me messing about with the recipe. I halved everything, except I used a whole can (400g) of tomatoes and about 200ml of water. The problem I had was that after an hour simmering, it had almost boiled dry and the meat was kind of tough. Am right in thinking that I should have added more water to deal with the increased amount of tomatoes? (My saucepan is quite wide, and I was worried that having only 1 medium tomato +125ml water would mean it would burn).

Also, I went to a fairly cheap butcher to buy the lamb shoulder, I guess this might be a stupid question, but would better quality lamb give better results in terms of tenderness?

Edit: Also, does this look like a good recipe for Naan bread?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/naan_86626

I've never made any kind of bread before in my life, but I have a sudden urge to give it a try.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 21, 2012

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Anyone have a go to red beans and rice recipe?

I have a bit more of this sitting in my fridge right now. It's really, really good. Like, amazingly good. If you do make it I strongly recommend making the pickle meat from that site and using it instead of ham. I'm sure ham would be tasty, but this last batch in particular was so vinegary and peppery and delicious from that pickle meat. Also make sure to use andouille sausage, of course.

This is seriously an amazingly tasty recipe.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Kenning posted:

I have a bit more of this sitting in my fridge right now. It's really, really good. Like, amazingly good. If you do make it I strongly recommend making the pickle meat from that site and using it instead of ham. I'm sure ham would be tasty, but this last batch in particular was so vinegary and peppery and delicious from that pickle meat. Also make sure to use andouille sausage, of course.

This is seriously an amazingly tasty recipe.

Man I need to visit GWS more often. I stopped in this thread for a dumb question and the first two things I see are some elaborate several course meal being planned in a hotel for someone's SO and this recipe which I am now leaving my house to get ingredients for.

I loving love SA. Seriously the amount and diversity of knowledge on these forums is astounding.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I have a 4.5 lb. boneless lamb roast that I plan to prepare like the prime rib I did for Christmas - salt and pepper the night before, let it dry out a little bit on the roasting pan in the fridge overnight, cook at 200 degrees until done. Any idea how long I should cook this? I know lamb is a lean meat so there's not a lot of fat to render, and no collagen/connective tissue to gelatinize, so I imagine it'll take less time than the prime rib. Suggestions??

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

The Midniter posted:

I have a 4.5 lb. boneless lamb roast that I plan to prepare like the prime rib I did for Christmas - salt and pepper the night before, let it dry out a little bit on the roasting pan in the fridge overnight, cook at 200 degrees until done. Any idea how long I should cook this? I know lamb is a lean meat so there's not a lot of fat to render, and no collagen/connective tissue to gelatinize, so I imagine it'll take less time than the prime rib. Suggestions??

Cook until a probe thermometer in the thickest part of the meat reads 130F. Do you have a torch? Torch the surface before roasting to start the fat rendering. This combined with a low, slow roast will give a good crust, or at least that's what Thomas Keller says about rib roast in Ad Hoc at Home, and it's worked like that for me in practice.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Gerblyn posted:

I tried making this last weekend:

http://www.foodbuzz.com/recipes/1167476-bhuna-gosht-or-lamb-bhuna

And it didn't turn out that great, probably due to me messing about with the recipe. I halved everything, except I used a whole can (400g) of tomatoes and about 200ml of water. The problem I had was that after an hour simmering, it had almost boiled dry and the meat was kind of tough. Am right in thinking that I should have added more water to deal with the increased amount of tomatoes? (My saucepan is quite wide, and I was worried that having only 1 medium tomato +125ml water would mean it would burn).

Also, I went to a fairly cheap butcher to buy the lamb shoulder, I guess this might be a stupid question, but would better quality lamb give better results in terms of tenderness?

Edit: Also, does this look like a good recipe for Naan bread?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/naan_86626

I've never made any kind of bread before in my life, but I have a sudden urge to give it a try.
You just didn't let it cook long enough. You should have added more water and returned it to a light simmer until it was completely tender, then cranked the heat to reduce it down to the point you wanted it.

e- I generally wouldn't even touch a braise like that for a minimum of 2 hours.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Need some quick pointers for cooking some grass fed beef ribs. Would cooking them at 225 for 5-6 hours be about right? Should I sear them before I put them in the oven? Should I be braising them throughout the time its in the oven?

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones

Tots posted:

I've seen it labeled as "Pumpkin Pie Spice".

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

kiteless posted:

I've seen it labeled as "Pumpkin Pie Spice".

I was trying to think of something along the lines of Sweet/Salty/Earthy/Tangy/Pungent/whatever.. you get the idea. I thought maybe there was a word for it that I wasn't aware of. Looks like no.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Tots posted:

Man I need to visit GWS more often. I stopped in this thread for a dumb question and the first two things I see are some elaborate several course meal being planned in a hotel for someone's SO and this recipe which I am now leaving my house to get ingredients for.

I loving love SA. Seriously the amount and diversity of knowledge on these forums is astounding.

Yeah man GWS is where it's at, and that red beans and rice recipe will blow your mind. It's probably my favorite thing that I've made in the last 6 months.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Kenning posted:

Yeah man GWS is where it's at, and that red beans and rice recipe will blow your mind. It's probably my favorite thing that I've made in the last 6 months.

Specifically, it looks like your megathread is where it's at. I've never really came in here because it looked like a place to sperg out about specific cooking techniques in whatever thread. Now don't get me wrong, I don't think that's a bad thing, but I like the 'talk about whatever' attitude of the megathread which I never actually noticed before I went looking for it.

I've got my beans soaking now, and I went to Wegman's for anodouille and some ham. I also picked up some chorizo to have on the side with it. Can't fuckin waaaaaiiittt!

I just made a sandwich with the ham I bought because I got hungry thinking about it.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Enentol posted:

(2): Galliano

Straight up delicious. Vanilla makes so many teas better.

Thanks, I'll definitely give this a try.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I just bought a couple of boneless hake fillets for dinner. What's the easiest way to cook them? I was thinking just pan-fried or grilled with salt & pepper and served with salad?

edit - another question: I'm planning to make Thai fish cakes tomorrow with this recipe.

The ingredients list calls for '500g skinless redfish fillets, bones removed, roughly chopped'. What would be the best 'redfish' to get for this dish?

cyberia fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jan 21, 2012

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Psychobabble posted:

You just didn't let it cook long enough. You should have added more water and returned it to a light simmer until it was completely tender, then cranked the heat to reduce it down to the point you wanted it.

e- I generally wouldn't even touch a braise like that for a minimum of 2 hours.

Fair enough, guess I was just overthinking things. Thanks!

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

Cyril Sneer posted:

Thanks, I'll definitely give this a try.

Please let me know post-tea how you liked it. I'm a big fan of vanilla in teas, and to me, Galliano just seems like the best equipped booze for the job.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I need to make a pie for a competition, and I need a few ideas. I want to use something like pork shoulder slow cooked so I can shred it, but I'm not sure what else to put with it. Leek and apple cider and chestnuts are ideas that have been thrown around, but I can't decide what to do to make it coherent.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
When kneading breads or pizza dough, my mixer throws itself around and unlatches its pivot locking mechanism. My wife and I got the KitchenAid Artisan in the past year for our wedding, and I specifically didn't want the KA professional model because I didn't like the bowl elevator. Would a 500 or 600 Pro have this problem? My mother's KA is a pivot style (from the mid-70s) and she's never had this problem, even making huge batches of houska with the dough hook.

When the dough gets sticky enough I end up bearing down on the top just to keep the thing from unlatching itself. What, short of welding a cross-bracing latch on the device, could I do to fix this behavior?

Demon Lord
Jun 8, 2003
ex nihil, ex omni, ad infinitum
Two newbie questions I couldn't find the answers to...

I have a double boiler (bain-marie) and I'm trying to make custard for the first time. I can't, however, figure out how much water to put in the bottom pan. I have three conflicting hypothesis:
- Put enough water to touch the bottom of the top pan (heat transfer via liquid water);
- Put the least amount of water possible so it boils ASAP (heat transfer via vapour);
- Fill half of the pan so it takes time to boil

Also, same reciepe but unrelated, our parchment paper says to moisten it when used in an oven. How moist is moist enough? Should I dip the paper in water, or is spraying a mist of water enough?

Thanks!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hed posted:

When kneading breads or pizza dough, my mixer throws itself around and unlatches its pivot locking mechanism. My wife and I got the KitchenAid Artisan in the past year for our wedding, and I specifically didn't want the KA professional model because I didn't like the bowl elevator. Would a 500 or 600 Pro have this problem? My mother's KA is a pivot style (from the mid-70s) and she's never had this problem, even making huge batches of houska with the dough hook.

When the dough gets sticky enough I end up bearing down on the top just to keep the thing from unlatching itself. What, short of welding a cross-bracing latch on the device, could I do to fix this behavior?

The lift bowls are designed to fare better with the forces created by mixing a stiff dough. That said, you could always try increasing the hydration of your dough a bit so the mixer has an easier go at it.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Demon Lord posted:

Two newbie questions I couldn't find the answers to...

I have a double boiler (bain-marie) and I'm trying to make custard for the first time. I can't, however, figure out how much water to put in the bottom pan. I have three conflicting hypothesis:
- Put enough water to touch the bottom of the top pan (heat transfer via liquid water);
- Put the least amount of water possible so it boils ASAP (heat transfer via vapour);
- Fill half of the pan so it takes time to boil

Also, same reciepe but unrelated, our parchment paper says to moisten it when used in an oven. How moist is moist enough? Should I dip the paper in water, or is spraying a mist of water enough?

Thanks!

Option 1

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

cyberia posted:

I just bought a couple of boneless hake fillets for dinner. What's the easiest way to cook them? I was thinking just pan-fried or grilled with salt & pepper and served with salad?

edit - another question: I'm planning to make Thai fish cakes tomorrow with this recipe.

The ingredients list calls for '500g skinless redfish fillets, bones removed, roughly chopped'. What would be the best 'redfish' to get for this dish?

I would think?

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Happy Hat posted:

Option 1

For practical purposes it doesn't make a difference as long as A) Your water doesn't all dry up and B) It's not overfilled.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

cyberia posted:

Snapper is the go here.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Tots posted:

For practical purposes it doesn't make a difference as long as A) Your water doesn't all dry up and B) It's not overfilled.

1) Can be below 100C, 2) is always 100C.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I need to make a pie for a competition, and I need a few ideas. I want to use something like pork shoulder slow cooked so I can shred it, but I'm not sure what else to put with it. Leek and apple cider and chestnuts are ideas that have been thrown around, but I can't decide what to do to make it coherent.
You could do a modified Shepard's Pie, I would think. Instead of peas and carrot, use onion/leek.