Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The big yellow stack and canister on the left side of the truck is the intake, actually. No chance of drowning that motor, but I'd probably change the diff fluid and oil!

That HAS to have been taken in Siberia, Alaska, or northern Canada. Nowhere else is there terrain like that and people doing such ridiculous poo poo with large trucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkqtcfhiE4A
for reference those are 40+ inch tires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lym_fL6KMhA

and I think my favorite. 10 ton truck loaded with 2 and 3 foot diameter logs trying to become a spaceship? Give no fucks, stand on the bumper as a counterweight, kick some rear end, take names.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HKeNn4T3EY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's Russia, found it on Jakopnik earlier today:
http://jalopnik.com/5876001/watch-a-massive-russian-truck-save-itself-from-almost-certain-disaster

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
Has anyone ever seen or driven or worked on any of these Urals up close? Are they reliable? I would imagine parts are cheap if you're where they're produced.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Hummer Driving human being posted:

Has anyone ever seen or driven or worked on any of these Urals up close? Are they reliable? I would imagine parts are cheap if you're where they're produced.

A friend of mine in Worcester MA has one.

He buys and sells more motorcycles than some dealerships. Always has a different project going.

... and he took the top off the sidecar he has for his Ural and used it to bring a few project bikes home (one at a time, obviously) recently. It seems pretty solid.

e: wait poo poo, you're probably talking about Ural trucks, not motorcycles.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
:zombie:

Got word today that the cat's out of the bag in regards to AM General getting Hummer back from GM.

Right now they're figuring out how to bring the H1 back to the market, and one of the proposals is to offer the truck in near assembled form as a kit car and leave the final assembly to the customer, sort of what AEV is doing with the J8 Jeep. This would give them time to build up a very small and limited dealership network.

Why would non-hummer owners care about this? It means the pubic offering of a small block turbo diesel which can fit into almost anything, the 3.2L Inline 6 Optimizer 3200, 300 hp, 500 ft/lb of torque and you can swap it into a Wrangler if you wanted :)

Excuse the pictures, I'll try to get a better scan, you can click for big.

Here's a pic of an H1/HMMWV rolling chassis with the 3200 engine mounted to an Alison 1000 transmission.

The engine is engineered by Steyr who used the monoblock design for various military vehicles in Europe in addition for marine use.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Geared Hub posted:

Here's a pic of an H1/HMMWV rolling chassis with the 3200 engine mounted to an Alison 1000 transmission.

The engine is engineered by Steyr who used the monoblock design for various military vehicles in Europe in addition for marine use.

I just want to strap a seat on that and drive it around.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You had me at "Steyr". They know their poo poo.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products

Geared Hub posted:

Why would non-hummer owners care about this? It means the pubic offering of a small block turbo diesel which can fit into almost anything, the 3.2L Inline 6 Optimizer 3200, 300 hp, 500 ft/lb of torque and you can swap it into a Wrangler if you wanted :)

Are you telling me my dreams of a Toyota Hilux clone might come true? Would this fit into a Tacoma?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Hummer Driving human being posted:

Are you telling me my dreams of a Toyota Hilux clone might come true? Would this fit into a Tacoma?

poo poo, i'll put that bitch in my F150 when the 5.4 dies.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

:gizz:

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
So does "monoblock" mean the block and heads are all 1 piece? Neato.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Lowclock posted:

So does "monoblock" mean the block and heads are all 1 piece? Neato.

Wow how do they get the pistons inside? I guess up through the bottom of the block?

...or piece by piece through the valves like a ship in a bottle? :stare:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

mod sassinator posted:

Wow how do they get the pistons inside? I guess up through the bottom of the block?
That's pretty much how it worked on the old Bentleys.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

mod sassinator posted:

...or piece by piece through the valves like a ship in a bottle? :stare:

I have never seen them go in that way, but I have seen them come out that way.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

It's a monoblock design. Things were souring between GM and AM General since they partnered with Hummer and AM General wanted a non-GM plan of action for future engine designs, since Steyr was already producing engines for various HMMWV type vehicles in Europe, they formed a partnership with Steyr and licensed their monoblock design for production at the GEP plant in Ohio.

They've been testing the engine for a few years in special uparmored HMMWV's overseas and have been comparing performance vs the 6.5 base and the steyr blew away the old motors in reliability, fuel economy and performance.

It's a smaller engine compared to the Duramax,6.5 GEP and the Cummins 6BT. The ones I've seen use a dry sump design, it's narrow and not very tall.

Here's pictures of the engine shown off at SEMA on an H1 with an EV drivetrain:

To get this into my truck, all I need is 2 new motor mounts and a new ECU kit, the engine is a drop in replacement reusing my cooling stack and 4L80E transmission.

GEP's been selling their military revamped 6.5 engines for a while now, the optimizer 6500 and P400 series which originally was reliability upgraded motors with better cooling and block casting for armored HMMWV's:

Like this Nissan Patrol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFpIXZSBetA

So those [6.5 turbo GEP] motors are around $5900 for a complete kit, I'm not sure what the price point is for the 3.2L GEP Monoblock, I heard OEM GM Powertrain duramax 6.6 ran about 12-14 grand or so new provided you have access to OEM channels, so I would wager a guess that the US made 3.2L would be between $6000 and $12000 for a new kit.

I saw a few 3.2L Marine diesel monoblocks for boats running around $8000-9000 with the name "Cobra" on the valve cover, these are imports from europe.

I found a few steyr videos that show various monoblocks being assembled:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN2AjZFmIYg

;-*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKzY9gROuKo

There's a 4 cylinder version, but that one isn't being brought over. It would be great for normal vehicles, Spain got burned with their HMMWV VAMTEC, which was designed for the inline 6. They changed out to the inline 4 to save money and have been having performance issues with their armored trucks. Go figure :v:

As for Hummer, AM General was running around various forums last week seeding rumors and seeing what the response was. There's still demand for the original hummer, and I know of a few former dealers who are willing to pre-pay for an order of 50 trucks , no engines no drivetrain, just the rolling chassis with interior.

So AM General is checking through legal hurdles to this approach, the 3.2L engine meets US and Euro emissions standards but the whole truck platform would have to be tested to meet federal rules, which isn't a problem unless you are a small volume automaker where testings costs can run $10,000,000+.

They could go the Icon or Hennessey motors route and build cars and leave it to the end customer to figure out how to get them titled/registered as new vehicles, or turn around and offer a "refurb" program. You turn in your old truck as a core and you get one with all new parts in return...

Ah well, If I can't get a new truck I'll be happy with the motor being released to the public soon...

Back to the subject, went out to Anza Borrego a few weeks back to Calcite mine and checked out the new Truckhaven test track they built last summer, it's a pretty nice setup, all sorts of test tracks, flat concrete pads to do repairs, anchor points for winching, vault toilets and campgrounds with shades for vistors, pretty nice setup.

Calcite mine [used in WW2,today they synthesize the crystal they need. You can still see calcite laying around, it's a short trail off the highway]

The Truckhaven course:

All sorts of climbs, I'm heading back to the region next month for 3 days, so I want to try some of the harder stuff like the tire climb. There's rocker knock which is pretty insane, I won't make it with my truck but I saw a guy in a buggy try it with 42" tires and flop over :ohdear:

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 23, 2012

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Droolin' over that diesel. Light and powerful as hell. Really, it's got pretty much the perfect numbers for mid-fullsize truck and suv workhorses or offroaders. I hope it makes a big enough splash if/when it's released. Nothing sucks more than having an engine that was only around for a year or two and then having to find parts in 10 years--e.g., I LOVED my CRD jeep, but as awesome as that engine was, it would be hard to buy another one knowing that parts are only getting more scarce.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Geared Hub posted:

Like this Nissan Patrol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFpIXZSBetA

This pretty much sums up what I want in an adventure vehicle. A few minor exterior changes and some upgrades to the interior for traveling and I would happily be homeless.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Geared Hub posted:

:swoon:

I loves me some wheeling in a HMMWV.

Incidental photo of me in HMMWV (not wheeling).

Oh look- here I am in Gulf of Oman roadkilling n00bs in a skidloader.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 26, 2012

grnberet2b
Aug 12, 2008
Took a trip to Big Bend with my mom and sisters for Christmas. I took my Jeep, mom took her FJ Cruiser. They both handled really well. I'm still tracking down pictures from the various cameras that we used, but here's a small dump:

PC273950 by grn beret 2b, on Flickr

PC273965 by grn beret 2b, on Flickr

PC273993 by grn beret 2b, on Flickr

We did get stuck behind a few cows at one point. I decided I wasn't going to agitate them with the Jeep, so I just kept going slowly behind them until they finally decided to take off across the desert and get off the road.

PC273909 by grn beret 2b, on Flickr

PC274016 by grn beret 2b, on Flickr

All in all, we had a great time. No breakdowns or anything. My only regret is that I decided I didn't want to turn around and do Black Gap in the reverse direction after we finished it, I think that's the only way to truly experience that road. There's obstacles going one way that are nothing to be concerned about going the other. Guess that's just an excuse to go back though. :P

If you do happen to be in the area - my mom said that the Ernst Tinaja area was drier than she'd ever seen it before, we apparently went at least a quarter of a mile farther than she'd gone before. If you do decide to hike well past the tinaja, I recommend taking a climbing rope of some sort, there's a couple of spots that I got past fine, but would have been more comfortable with a rope. My ankles probably would have been happier too.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

grnberet2b posted:

If you do happen to be in the area - my mom said that the Ernst Tinaja area was drier than she'd ever seen it before, we apparently went at least a quarter of a mile farther than she'd gone before.

Yeah the whole area is super dry right now. The window trail is bone dry even though half the trail is a stream bed. Most the Tinajas still have water in them, but are lower than normal and the area around them is super dry. Now that I am back in the area I need to make a run down there one weekend. I was going to go this weekend, but had to do school stuff instead.

This is one of the Tinaja that are down from where you cross the dry wash on Old Ore Road.

And this is Ernst Tinaja. It is at that dangerous low level were an animal can easily fall in and not be able to get out.

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 29, 2012

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Had to scrub my weekend trip to Big Bear Lake, my alternator was on it's last legs, and I couldn't get one last sunday. 3 alternators in 5 years, sounds right for all the desert off roading I do.

I'll have to add blow out alternator with compressed air to my post wheeling checklist, I keep killing bearings.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'm surprised you haven't looked into rebuilding them yourself yet, they usually aren't difficult to assemble/disassemble and the bearings are (AFAIK) some variety of standard SKS/Timken production, if you can find the part number on one you can probably buy new ones somewhere online.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

grnberet2b posted:

Big Bend

How rough is Big Bend? Like, would I be able to get out to some of the backcountry camping sites with about 10" of ground clearance and no low range gearbox?

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Safety Dance posted:

How rough is Big Bend? Like, would I be able to get out to some of the backcountry camping sites with about 10" of ground clearance and no low range gearbox?

I've been out there fine with my stock WJ jeep with quadradrive ('slip-n-grip') and the front wheels only kicked in on a handful of occasions, and I didn't need 4LO for anything, not even black gap road though there is one part where it probably wouldn't have hurt.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

kastein posted:

I'm surprised you haven't looked into rebuilding them yourself yet, they usually aren't difficult to assemble/disassemble and the bearings are (AFAIK) some variety of standard SKS/Timken production, if you can find the part number on one you can probably buy new ones somewhere online.

At this rate I'll probably need to, I still have one of the cores kicking around. They probably have the PN stamped right onto the bearings...

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Geared Hub posted:

At this rate I'll probably need to, I still have one of the cores kicking around. They probably have the PN stamped right onto the bearings...

Just FYI I don't know if anyone answered your Forza 4 question. The game contains an H1 Alpha, I think 2006 year. No offroad tracks though. Basically they added some large SUV's and pickup trucks such as the SVT Raptor, H1, that v10 dodge pickup, Grande Cherokee etc. You can modify them like the other cars and then race them around the tracks. It's more for fun than anything. The H1's can turn over in corners if you modify them poorly.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

jonathan posted:

Just FYI I don't know if anyone answered your Forza 4 question. The game contains an H1 Alpha, I think 2006 year. No offroad tracks though. Basically they added some large SUV's and pickup trucks such as the SVT Raptor, H1, that v10 dodge pickup, Grande Cherokee etc. You can modify them like the other cars and then race them around the tracks. It's more for fun than anything. The H1's can turn over in corners if you modify them poorly.
Anything can turn over in Forza, I managed to roll a Twingo on an FIA curb during a GTCC race. It's pretty easy with the SRT10 Ram though.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Anything can turn over in Forza, I managed to roll a Twingo on an FIA curb during a GTCC race. It's pretty easy with the SRT10 Ram though.

Set the ride height at -1 inch, so that the tires are off the ground and the vehicle is sitting on the oil pan.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Geared Hub posted:

I need to not talk about alternators.

Went for a wander in the MJ the night before last, which resulted in me fording some 1-1.5 foot deep iced over mudholes as usual. Someone else had already broken the ice so it was just muddy water with a lot of ice chunks in it.

Last night, decided to head out again... started it up and the drat check engine light was on. I just replaced the O2 sensor (old one was fine, but seized into a destroyed downpipe, so I had to replace it when I replaced the downpipe, it came out with no threads left on it) so I figured it was that. Then I noticed the battery voltage was at 12 instead of the usual 14, and the headlights were dim... this morning I checked with a real voltmeter, sure enough 11.75 volts at the battery, 0.01 volts from battery + to B+ on alternator (so it's not the fusible link), 12 volts across the alt field coil (so it's not the ECU), and no charging. gently caress, I hate replacing alternators on XJs/MJs, they're buried in there pretty good.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

Super easy. I run it in my stock F150 on street tires. I would avoid Black Gap if you are alone and unsure. But everything else is easy as long as you go slow and it hasn't rained a bunch recently.

Look through my flickr for an idea of the roads.

Rogz
Jul 22, 2009

Mr booby head vagina man.
Is anyone is central scotland doing much wheeling? I finally fixed my steering box and need a reason to swap the road tyres over!

e: superbrokenframes fixed

Rogz fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 13, 2012

Isimoad
Sep 8, 2010
It was wet out :P

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?
No mudding or hardcore rock climbing here, but I did engage 4lo for an incredibly steep incline with loose dry terrain where 1st just wasn't cutting it with a full Jeep.

Steiler Drep fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 25, 2012

Barn Owl
Oct 29, 2005
"text"
Since this is as close to a truck thread as I could find, we're looking at a vehicle for towing at work. The trailer is an 8x7x14 with a capacity of 14,000lbs. Looking for a reliable diesel and seating for four railroading motherfuckers. We're normally going to be towing about 5,000lbs with the understanding that unused capacity will lead to longer lifespan.

How close to $25k can we get?
Any favorites out there?

Thanks in advance, feel free to PM me to keep this thread about the awesome poo poo you guys do.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Barn Owl posted:

Since this is as close to a truck thread as I could find, we're looking at a vehicle for towing at work. The trailer is an 8x7x14 with a capacity of 14,000lbs. Looking for a reliable diesel and seating for four railroading motherfuckers. We're normally going to be towing about 5,000lbs with the understanding that unused capacity will lead to longer lifespan.

How close to $25k can we get?
Any favorites out there?

Thanks in advance, feel free to PM me to keep this thread about the awesome poo poo you guys do.

If you can see yourself needing four wheel drive, I would go with the Dodge 3500 with cummins diesel. If you don't need 4x4, also consider the chevy and gmc equivalent. I don't like the 4x4 chevy/gmc because they aren't solid axle front.

I don't recommend the Fords even though they seem to be the nicest trucks due to the engine issues that have plagued them for the greater part of the last decade.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

I agree, Cummins Dodge or Duramax GMC/Chevy.. although I'd avoid the first series of Duramax Engines [LB7 2001-04ish] and stick with a truck with the later LLY / LBZ series.

If you need to go older, I'd go with anything with a 5.9L 6BT Cummins [dodge 2500/3500 ram], those engines are torque monsters, great for hauling and is easy and cheap to modifiy and fix vs the newer generation engines.

That being said if you go diesel pickup try to find a nice stock truck, and stay away from performance modded trucks, your goal is maximum reliability...

I mean, anything built in the past 5 years is basically a mini semi truck. I'm partial to the Duramax/Allison transmission combo and you should be able to find a relatively low miles used truck for less than 25K...

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Geared Hub posted:

I mean, anything built in the past 5 years is basically a mini semi truck.

I wish this wasn't true. I know how nice it is to have one if you need one, but I just want a midsize truck with a smaller diesel. I am not towing an enclosed trailer across america. I just want something reliable and easy to drive around town that can tow a larger trailer in needed. That and I love diesel engines.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
The old 12v Cummins is a good choice if you want to go really old. I work with a couple of guys who have them, still running great with close to 500,000 miles on them. And surprisingly, they still pull reasonable MPGs... around 16-19 give or take. Not bad for an engine that is used in school buses and dump trucks.

If you really want a Ford, go with the old 7.3 Powerstroke. Those were pretty decent engines, but are pretty thirsty for what you get power wise.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

BrokenKnucklez posted:

The old 12v Cummins is a good choice if you want to go really old. I work with a couple of guys who have them, still running great with close to 500,000 miles on them. And surprisingly, they still pull reasonable MPGs... around 16-19 give or take. Not bad for an engine that is used in school buses and dump trucks.

If you really want a Ford, go with the old 7.3 Powerstroke. Those were pretty decent engines, but are pretty thirsty for what you get power wise.

IF YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT FORD POWERSTROKES, YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT THIS GUYS SERIES OF YOUTUBE VIDEOS ON THE POWERSTROKE MOTORS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH2NmxXEUJQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Soon as I have the van packed and gassed up (in the morning) I am loading my MJ onto a tow dolly and heading for badlands ORP in Attica, IN.

Anyone down for some wheelin'? I'll be there with NAXJA MWC for WinterFest.