Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ooner
Sep 24, 2005

Corbet posted:

I checked the last 5 pages and didn't see anything - have any of the folder apps been updated for 5.0? I'm mainly looking to remove the limit of number of apps from within folders.

I just jailbroke today but infinifolder seems to be working fine so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Can anyone tell me how to hide Newsstand? It doesn't show up in SBSettings for me to have the option to hide. iPhone 4 running 5.0.1.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Can anyone tell me how to hide Newsstand? It doesn't show up in SBSettings for me to have the option to hide. iPhone 4 running 5.0.1.

NoNewIsGoodNews in Cydia.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
There was an app suggested a few months back where you could download apps from the App Store and it wouldn't take you to the home screen, it would just send it to the background downloading. It was wonderful for a fresh iPad and downloading already purchased apps but I can't seem to remember the name.

Anyone have an idea?

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

Deadpool posted:

NoNewIsGoodNews in Cydia.

Thank you sir, worked like a charm.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Godinster posted:

There was an app suggested a few months back where you could download apps from the App Store and it wouldn't take you to the home screen, it would just send it to the background downloading. It was wonderful for a fresh iPad and downloading already purchased apps but I can't seem to remember the name.

Anyone have an idea?

StayOpened

edit: added it to the goonlist https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah09Sy6aGB8hdEVaemF1VXRYbXVjY0wyZGdnZThuQUE&authkey=CMmC_5gE&hl=en_US&pli=1#gid=0

randyest fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 21, 2012

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.
I'm trying to jailbreak my ipad2 on 5.0.1. When it got to "reboot stage" I had to reenter my icloud password as it was set to an old one that I recently changed and it hung up on the "waiting for reboot" stage. Now when I run absinthe it says it notices that I tried to jailbreak and it failed and succesfully completes it. But when I run it again it won't start the process anew, just the same message. Any ideas?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

You're a saint, thank you

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Absinthe won't run on my gfs mac, could it be because it doesn't have the right os x version? I know she has a old one.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...
Anyone having issues with songs that are downloaded from match after the jailbreak?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
While trying to figure out how to best do this jailbreak using the Windows A5 Corona injector EXE, I found this amusing in the CLI example log:

code:
Jan 21 02:18:08 iPad fairplayd.K93[27] <Notice>: Dong
That's the only mention of fairplayd in the entire log. One word, "dong". Sums it up nicely, actually.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I'm considering jailbreaking my iPhone 4, mostly for SBSettings, but I'm a bit worried about performance or battery dropping in general.

Sorry that it's a horribly vague question but can anyone tell me if any/all of the following jailbreak apps would cause any noticeable dent in battery life or performance?

-SBSettings
-BiteSMS (or an ad-free equivalent)
-Dreamboard
-LockInfo (IntelliscreenX looked amazing but is a bit pricey, I would love to be able to see further than just one day in my Calendar in notifcations/lock screen, and for unread SMSs/Emails to stay in the lock-screen even after I unlock my phone)
-Copic

And anything else that people would consider a must-have, I guess.
Also if there's anything that could track my monthly data usage that'd be awesome!

Oh and a final question and I apologise if this has been answered a bajillion times before: Does the guide at in the OP for backing up the phone include all SMS and apps and folders, etc.? e.g. if I wanna go back to non-jailbroken (or get a new phone) and need to set it up as a new device, will I still have all my post-jailbreak SMS messages or App-Store-obtained apps and so on? My internet connection is horrible, so re-downloading all those apps would be hell.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...

Question Mark Mound posted:

I'm considering jailbreaking my iPhone 4, mostly for SBSettings, but I'm a bit worried about performance or battery dropping in general.

Sorry that it's a horribly vague question but can anyone tell me if any/all of the following jailbreak apps would cause any noticeable dent in battery life or performance?

-SBSettings
-BiteSMS (or an ad-free equivalent)
-Dreamboard
-LockInfo (IntelliscreenX looked amazing but is a bit pricey, I would love to be able to see further than just one day in my Calendar in notifcations/lock screen, and for unread SMSs/Emails to stay in the lock-screen even after I unlock my phone)
-Copic

And anything else that people would consider a must-have, I guess.
Also if there's anything that could track my monthly data usage that'd be awesome!

Oh and a final question and I apologise if this has been answered a bajillion times before: Does the guide at in the OP for backing up the phone include all SMS and apps and folders, etc.? e.g. if I wanna go back to non-jailbroken (or get a new phone) and need to set it up as a new device, will I still have all my post-jailbreak SMS messages or App-Store-obtained apps and so on? My internet connection is horrible, so re-downloading all those apps would be hell.

LockInfo / Dreamboard for sure. How much of a dent, I can't say.

Must haves for me:

3G Unrestrictor / My3G
SBSettings
MyWi (Tether iPad to my phone for unlimited)
BiteSMS
iBlacklist
Music Controls Pro
Winterboard
SwitcherMod
AdBlocker
Safari Download Manager
iFile
SpringFlash (Easy access to turn on flash)
FakeClockUp (Seems to make the 4S feel even snappier but YMMV)

Tracking data usage is something I can't say I do (AT&T Unlimited!), but if need be, the phone can track it in Settings. You'll have to reset it when your cycle it up. For your last question:

Use iCloud. Seriously. At least for Contacts and SMS. For your Apps, you can re-sync from your PC, no problem.

INSERT COIN
Sep 26, 2007

SynMoo posted:

Still having trouble. I reset network settings to ensure there were no VPN settings, reran Absinthe on the Mac and went through the motions. The Absinthe app on the phone doesn't load (being hammered obviously. Then I go and start the VPN connection that was added, it fails then nothing happens. If I'm understanding correctly the phone should reboot at that point, yes?

Having the same problem over here. Any suggestions?

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Have you tried the CLI version? I used the Windows version and it only involved two simple commands and it worked first-try without any errors or anything at all.

Anyways, are there any Cydia apps that allow skipping forward/backward for both videos and audio (podcasts)?

I'd love to swipe right-left to skip forward/backward using the built-in audio/video player.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

NerdsMcGee posted:

Use iCloud. Seriously. At least for Contacts and SMS. For your Apps, you can re-sync from your PC, no problem.
Ah, when I first looked at iCloud I thought it synced everything to the web, which would mean an absolute no go for me. If the amount of stuff to up/download doesn't exceed a couple of Mb, tops, I might look into it!

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Vinlaen posted:

Have you tried the CLI version? I used the Windows version and it only involved two simple commands and it worked first-try without any errors or anything at all.

Wait, there's a Windows version out? What did I miss?

INSERT COIN
Sep 26, 2007

I tried the CLI windows version. Still not resetting after turning on VPN either. This is driving me nuts.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Vinlaen posted:

what are the commands? -s and -j with the parameter from the readme?

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

I've tried the cli tool twice now and it craps out on the restore part of step nine. I've gone to the next step just for giggles and it just times out.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Just fyi if you're gonna buy some Cydia apps don't use PayPal or it does it like an echeck and it takes like 3 days to go through. :negative:

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Here's how to jailbreak using the Windows CLI version: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=19484

quote:

cinject -i payloads/jailbreak.mobileconfig
cinject -j payloads
cinject -w
toggle VPN on and look for the "pod2g is in da house!" syslog message

I restored (reformatted) my phone back to 5.0.1 and then did the jailbreak and I didn't get any errors or anything like that.

Altoid
May 14, 2002
Please guys some major help. I tried to run the jailbreak on 4s. It didnt work so I tried to do a restore, couldn't get it to work. I tried to do it through TU and now I'm stuck. Got The iphone blah blah couldn't be restored. An unknown error occured (1600). Will fix recovery work for my phone? What do I do...Help please.

Did fix restore and tried to run restore again, getting error 3194...Help.

Altoid fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 21, 2012

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
When I do the VPN turn-on thing on my 4S, I get the error, dismiss it, but it doesn't reboot my device.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
Jailbroke my iPad 2 with the CLI on windows. Took all of 4 minutes to complete.

Does anyone know if we can delete the VPN connection the jailbreak created?

And is RetinaPad worth the $2.99?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

dutchbstrd posted:

yes.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Vinlaen posted:

Here's how to jailbreak using the Windows CLI version: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=19484

I restored (reformatted) my phone back to 5.0.1 and then did the jailbreak and I didn't get any errors or anything like that.

Just jailbroke my 4S using this and worked without any issue after I erased all content on the phone. Once the jailbreak was completed I restored to my iCloud backup.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Altoid posted:

Please guys some major help. I tried to run the jailbreak on 4s. It didnt work so I tried to do a restore, couldn't get it to work. I tried to do it through TU and now I'm stuck. Got The iphone blah blah couldn't be restored. An unknown error occured (1600). Will fix recovery work for my phone? What do I do...Help please.

Did fix restore and tried to run restore again, getting error 3194...Help.
For the 3194, make sure TU didn't change your hosts file to point to cydia.

On Windows the hosts file can be found in: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
On OSX the hosts file can be found in /private/etc/hosts

Remove or comment out any lines which redirect gs.apple.com.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Vinlaen posted:

Here's how to jailbreak using the Windows CLI version

running cydia now, worked like a charm, thanks m8

e: barrel installed. gently caress yes

mewse fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 21, 2012

Altoid
May 14, 2002

Nill posted:

For the 3194, make sure TU didn't change your hosts file to point to cydia.

On Windows the hosts file can be found in: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
On OSX the hosts file can be found in /private/etc/hosts

Remove or comment out any lines which redirect gs.apple.com.

Yeah finally figured that out. Phone's back up! Thanks.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Just fyi if you're gonna buy some Cydia apps don't use PayPal or it does it like an echeck and it takes like 3 days to go through. :negative:

It does this necessarily? What if I have an existing paypal balance?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So the part where you launch Absinthe on your 4S, if the page doesn't load do you just keep trying? Is it eventually supposed to work when the site is less hammered? Or did I do something wrong? Because the VPN-Toggle errors out but doesn't do anything when I dismiss the error.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Feenix posted:

When I do the VPN turn-on thing on my 4S, I get the error, dismiss it, but it doesn't reboot my device.

Did you have any other VPN profiles? I have like a dozen VPN profiles for work and testing on my 4S, and the jailbreak failed on me a dozen times.

I had a hunch that it needed to be the *only* VPN profile (or at least, the first one listed) since the whole "corona" thing is the racoon VPN driver exploit. I deleted the others and then the jailbreak worked.

dutchbstrd posted:

Jailbroke my iPad 2 with the CLI on windows. Took all of 4 minutes to complete.

Does anyone know if we can delete the VPN connection the jailbreak created?

From what I saw, the part of the jailbreak process (at least doing it from the Mac Absinthe program) is that it installs Cydia and deletes the VPN profile it makes. If the Windows/CLI version leaves it behind, then yes, delete it. It's only needed to trigger the exploit for the initial install.

And yes, RetinaPad is worth $2.99. It doesn't work on all apps (the Street Fighter IV games crash), but for other stuff it makes things look REAL nice. Text is always perfectly sharp, and if the game/app supports it, the graphics sharpen up as well. You're still limited to a smaller 960x480 window floating in the 1024x768 screen, but things are much prettier.

Feenix posted:

So the part where you launch Absinthe on your 4S, if the page doesn't load do you just keep trying? Is it eventually supposed to work when the site is less hammered? Or did I do something wrong? Because the VPN-Toggle errors out but doesn't do anything when I dismiss the error.

The page inside Absinthe does NOT need to load. With greenpois0n.com screwed up, it probably won't load. However, if it did load, all the page does is trigger the VPN connection. You can do that manually. If the page doesn't load, just go to Settings and enable the VPN connection. After a few moments of trying to connect to VPN, it may or may not give an error, and then maybe 10 seconds after that your device will reboot.

I did not dismiss the VPN error message on any device I saw it on. Just make sure it's your only VPN profile. Even if it is set as default, if you still have other profiles, it won't work.

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 21, 2012

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
When I go to the VPN screen I see turn VPN on and Off toggle and under that I see "Choose a configuration" and Jailbreak as a selectable option, assumedly from Absinthe. Connect on Demand for "Jailbreak" is set to "on".

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Feenix posted:

When I go to the VPN screen I see turn VPN on and Off toggle and under that I see "Choose a configuration" and Jailbreak as a selectable option, assumedly from Absinthe. Connect on Demand for "Jailbreak" is set to "on".

For those of you who were having issues, try this link http://cache.greenpois0n.com/dl/absinthe-mac-0.1.2-2.zip It points to a slightly newer build that uses a different server location for the verification process. For me I had to do the following on my iPad to get it to work.

Run newer version
It mentions that I had a failed jailbreak and it was going to fix it.
After it finished, I unplugged and plugged my iPad back into my machine.
Ran jailbreak process again, followed all directions and left the iPad plugged in the entire time.
Ran the "Absinthe" program (iPad still plugged in, not sure if this makes a difference) and waited on the white screen for about 30 seconds for it to start rebooting

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Windows version just got released.

https://twitter.com/!/pimskeks/status/160830389433274368

http://t.co/jdj8bmQt

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Fatal posted:

For those of you who were having issues, try this link http://cache.greenpois0n.com/dl/absinthe-mac-0.1.2-2.zip It points to a slightly newer build that uses a different server location for the verification process. For me I had to do the following on my iPad to get it to work.

Run newer version
It mentions that I had a failed jailbreak and it was going to fix it.
After it finished, I unplugged and plugged my iPad back into my machine.
Ran jailbreak process again, followed all directions and left the iPad plugged in the entire time.
Ran the "Absinthe" program (iPad still plugged in, not sure if this makes a difference) and waited on the white screen for about 30 seconds for it to start rebooting

Trying this right now. I'm at the Waiting for Reboot part of the Absinthe progress bar. I don't remember it taking this long before but it's been about 10 min. :\

[edit]

Your method worked! Thanks!

For anyone stuck-stuck on waiting to Reboot. Don't unplug, but you can manually reboot. :)

Feenix fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 21, 2012

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Just jailbroke my 4S with the Windows tool so if the CLI one is giving you problems, try that.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
I jailbroke my iPhone on windows using the command line injector and it seemed to work fine, but whenever I try to install something in Cydia it tells me it can't find the package. I tried setting it to user, hacker, and developer but it didn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

tofes posted:

I jailbroke my iPhone on windows using the command line injector and it seemed to work fine, but whenever I try to install something in Cydia it tells me it can't find the package. I tried setting it to user, hacker, and developer but it didn't matter.

Cydia is getting hammered right now.

• Locked thread