Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
idoliside
Dec 8, 2010

TrixRabbi posted:

Are you talking about the hockey film? Because you just got me really excited only to find that the, how should I say, Nicolas Cage classic is not available.

Its available to me in the UK, I'd enjoy it more if it was at a decent bitrate though, any settings on the ps3 to adjust (at work right now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

idoliside posted:

Just picked up the free trial in the UK, this is pretty nice, better than LoveFilm which I used for a bit. Going to try it on my PS3 later on tonight.
Is there anywhere I can look at listings without going through the websites "recommended" sections. Like a straight A-Z of titles in genres?

Not on consoles, but you can on the site. Unless the UK layout is different, you should be able to go to a genre (or subgenre) and then click the barely noticeable "See all" button in the upper right. That gives you a gallery view of box covers that you can change to a sortable text list of titles.

General Ledger
Dec 23, 2007

COYI
I just got the Netflix free UK trial, it seems to have a better selection than Lovefilm.

It does annoy me that there doesn't seem to be an option to force HD streaming on the PS3, it sticks to whatever it deems the best rate for uninterrupted streaming. When viewing on the computer, you can force it higher by clicking on the video and then Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S, tick manual selection and then pick whatever rate you like.

Been watching Twin Peaks for the first time, Clear and Present Danger and my better half spent an evening watching Hey Arnold.

The UK library wont mirror the US library right?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I was bored and browsing, and found this film called Harvey. It stars Jimmy Stewart, and it's a comedy about a man whose family is trying to commit him because he has an invisible friend, a six-foot-tall-rabbit named Harvey.

I mean, seriously. Why the hell wouldn't you want to see a movie like that. I was rolling on the floor when his sister was trying to commit him to the sanitarium. I think the one reason why it works really well is that they never make Jimmy Stewart act in a way that's overtly insane.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Barrelfox posted:

Some stuff might over lap but there's bound to be stuff available in the US and not the UK and vice versa.

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008

Barrelfox posted:

I haven't tried it but apparently you can access the US library by using a US vpn even if your a UK subscriber.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Cemetry Gator posted:

I was bored and browsing, and found this film called Harvey. It stars Jimmy Stewart, and it's a comedy about a man whose family is trying to commit him because he has an invisible friend, a six-foot-tall-rabbit named Harvey.

I mean, seriously. Why the hell wouldn't you want to see a movie like that. I was rolling on the floor when his sister was trying to commit him to the sanitarium. I think the one reason why it works really well is that they never make Jimmy Stewart act in a way that's overtly insane.
I rewatched again recently, it's definitely way funnier than it has any right to be. Jimmy Stewart is just so great. :swoon:

Jonny
Dec 31, 2005

Barrelfox posted:

I just got the Netflix free UK trial, it seems to have a better selection than Lovefilm.

It does annoy me that there doesn't seem to be an option to force HD streaming on the PS3, it sticks to whatever it deems the best rate for uninterrupted streaming. When viewing on the computer, you can force it higher by clicking on the video and then Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S, tick manual selection and then pick whatever rate you like.

Been watching Twin Peaks for the first time, Clear and Present Danger and my better half spent an evening watching Hey Arnold.

The US library is much better than the UK one at this point. Here's a guide on how to get the US library from your PS3 (works for me on Xbox too). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmBTH3wjgDU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

idoliside posted:

Is there anyway to increase the audio quality on Netflix ps3? Trying to watch Face Off but the awful compressed stereo is hurting me.

I think only a few titles have 5.1 surround, if I'm not mistaken. Anytime I watch something animated :golgo:, the audio is choppy and doesn't match up.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Harvey is the perfect hangover movie. It's just so charming.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
Watched 13 Assassins, The Crimson Rivers, A Clockwork Orange, Videodrome, and SLC Punk this weekend.

All good. All of them were good. The Crimson Rivers is a french serial killer movie starring Jean Reno and Vincent Cassel, in which Jean Reno is scared of dogs and Vincent Cassel beats up a few dudes while the announcer from Tekken calls the fight. Its also dubbed into English.

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 23, 2012

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
The Poor Decisions of Todd Margeret is shaping up to be a pretty good show, too bad its only a few episodes. It stars (an older) David Cross and Will Arnett. Basically its set up is that Cross's character is set up to take the fall for a big company that's selling a energy drink. Definitely check it out.
Also, if you're looking for more Cross/Arnett shows, check out Running Wilde, this show also got cancelled before its time, but its worth a look.

General Ledger
Dec 23, 2007

COYI

Jonny posted:

The US library is much better than the UK one at this point. Here's a guide on how to get the US library from your PS3 (works for me on Xbox too). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmBTH3wjgDU

Thank you very much for this, it worked on the PS3.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

All good. All of them were good. The Crimson Rivers is a french serial killer movie starring Jean Reno and Vincent Cassel, in which Jean Reno is scared of dogs and Vincent Cassel beats up a few dudes while the announcer from Tekken calls the fight. Its also dubbed into English.

I used to have the DVD of this, and the original french audio is great. Regardless, I really enjoyed the movie and thought it was a pretty sweet mystery.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Kingtheninja posted:

I used to have the DVD of this, and the original french audio is great. Regardless, I really enjoyed the movie and thought it was a pretty sweet mystery.

Yeah I didn't think it was too bad. Ending spoilers: I figured out the girl was the killer pretty early but I didn't expect twins, though now that I think about it, they did foreshadow it.

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 24, 2012

idoliside
Dec 8, 2010

Has Hercules: The Legendary Journey series been taken off? I did the US DNS trick and its worked for shows like Xena and Southpark, but no Hercules oddly enough. I want a 90s nostalgia trip.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

idoliside posted:

Has Hercules: The Legendary Journey series been taken off? I did the US DNS trick and its worked for shows like Xena and Southpark, but no Hercules oddly enough. I want a 90s nostalgia trip.

Still there for me. Unfortunate that you can't see it, because in my eyes it really holds up today because it never took itself seriously to begin with. Still a very fun series.

If you can get through Hulu I'd highly recommend Jack of All Trades, too. Made by the same people as Xena and Hercules and stars Bruce Campbell in a sort of quasi-Scarlet Pimpernel role. The whole thing has a sort of pirate-y feel, too, because of the interesting location. The great thing is, the tone of the show is the same as the tone of the Hercules/Xena episodes that star Campbell - that is to say, decidedly more fun.

I'd also try the Chrome extension Stealthy if I were you. Works for me on everything BBC and super simple to use.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I just noticed tonight that Marathon Man is available for streaming. I had been meaning to watch it for a while and found it to be reasonably entertaining. For anyone not familiar, Dustin Hoffman plays a graduate student living in New York who unwittingly gets caught up in a conspiracy involving a Nazi dentist. A solid 70's thriller.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I absolutely loved marathon man, glad to see it on instant.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If you like good docs, Lemmy is amazing, it was on the Canadian but not sure of the US. It seemed really real and Lemmy doesn't give two shits. He's just a lowpaid legend living in some poo poo apartment who loves collecting nazi stuff and playing great music.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.
I just watched The Vicious Kind.

Thank you so much for suggesting it, netflix thread.

Commander Hen
Jan 7, 2012
9th Company

Follows a Russian company from recruitment into Afghanistan in 1988. Familiar and similar themes to any America movie about Iraq combined slightly with Full Metal Jacket. Also fuckloads of vodka.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Vintersorg posted:

If you like good docs, Lemmy is amazing, it was on the Canadian but not sure of the US. It seemed really real and Lemmy doesn't give two shits. He's just a lowpaid legend living in some poo poo apartment who loves collecting nazi stuff and playing great music.

It wasn't on instant when I tried watch it a couple weeks ago. I eventually saw it and yeah, it was very interesting. I couldn't help but feel sorry for him. He'd go on and on about how he's doing what he was meant to do and he loves it and wouldn't change a thing, but then they show him alone in his apartment or backstage and he looks sad and weary.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I think it's been recommended before in this thread, but Street Thief is really good. It's a documentary that follows around a thief as he goes about his business.

Just don't read the netflix movie description before you watch it. It's not a real documentary, but it plays as one and I think it's worth watching it with that ambiguity of whether or not it's real.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I finally got around to watching Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. I'm not a huge musical comedy fan, but I loved the hell out of this. Neil Patrick Harris was awesome as Dr. Horrible to the point where I can't think of anyone else who would've played that part better, especially since there aren't that many singer/actors around anymore as far as I know. Plus, the whole thing was ~42 minutes long, which makes it great if you don't want to watch something very long.

I do have a question about the ending, though... When it showed Dr.Horrible at the very end in his regular clothes finishing the final song with "...a thing" sung in a somber fashion, is that meant to show that he knows that world domination came at the cost of Penny's life? I feel like I'm probably reading a bit too much into it, so shut me up if that's the case. I still enjoyed it, and I think anyone who hasn't seen it yet should definitely watch it. :shobon:

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Obeast posted:

I do have a question about the ending, though... When it showed Dr.Horrible at the very end in his regular clothes finishing the final song with "...a thing" sung in a somber fashion, is that meant to show that he knows that world domination came at the cost of Penny's life? I feel like I'm probably reading a bit too much into it, so shut me up if that's the case. I still enjoyed it, and I think anyone who hasn't seen it yet should definitely watch it. :shobon:

You're pretty much on the money there.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Discount Viscount posted:

You're pretty much on the money there.

yeah, along the same lines "the world I wanted at my feet" in the same song has more than one meaning

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Cemetry Gator posted:

It's either adapted from or was adapted into a pretty famous play, too. It's a movie older generations are very familiar with and that I've heard people of my parents' generation or older reference many times but not something that younger generations seem to know very well. Once you've seen it you'll notice a lot of older tv shows, particularly sitcoms, slide in references to it.

It's been weird to watch Twin Peaks as someone who wasn't old enough to watch it when it was on TV but I was very aware of it and remember the cultural phenomenon it was when it first came out.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Looks like lots of foreign films have just been added, unless I just haven't been paying attention to this area recently.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

I noticed that Time Crimes (Los Cronocrímenes) and In the Loop just popped up for me, and both are excellent foreign films. Time Crimes is a Spanish sci-fi about a man who discovers a time machine in the woods behind his house while being chased by a bizarre bandaged stranger, while In the Loop is a dark British comedy based around how the British foreign ministry was dragged into supporting the Iraq War.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Time Crimes is fantastic, and I've been wanting to watch it again. Thanks for the heads up!

idoliside
Dec 8, 2010

Hercules randomly popped up for me today (using the DNS trick for a while now), watched the first episode and stopped half way through. This used to be awesome when I was about 7 but I can't help but cringe every now and then throughout.
Andromeda, give me that everyday...

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Terrifying Effigies posted:

In the Loop

If you like In the Loop, please please please watch The Thick of It, the BBC series on which Loop is based. Many of the same actors, but in different roles. Capaldi, thankfully, is the same character, which is really all that matters.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The Thick Of It isn't available in the US yet, unfortunately.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I think supernatural is going to be up on tuesday. If it's not, I give up. I will stop looking for a release date and just forget about it.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
Anyone have a recommendation for a good whodunnit?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

HaroldofTheRock posted:

There's a lot of Agatha Christie stuff up there. I just looked for Death on the Nile, which isn't, but it brought up Evil Under the Sun which has Peter Ustinov as Poirot, plus Maggie Smith (who's also in Nile and the spoof Murder by Death), Roddy McDowall, Diana Rigg, and James Mason.

In fact, I just added it to the queue myself.

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 30, 2012

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Kingtheninja posted:

I think supernatural is going to be up on tuesday. If it's not, I give up. I will stop looking for a release date and just forget about it.

Tomorrow actually. I'm really excited!

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

HaroldofTheRock posted:

I like the Inspector Lynley Mysteries - there are three of them up on instant. They're great in a BBC sort of way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

HaroldofTheRock posted:

It's been mentioned here many times, but as far as mysteries on Netflix you can't go wrong with Sherlock. The best adaptation I've ever seen hands-down.

• Locked thread