Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

every now and then the reconstruction cluster wigs out and just paints weird poo poo into low-probability reconstructions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Kirk posted:

*something something cant transmit digital in subspace only analog*

talk to newly discovered aliens using a universal translator - no problem

sending a text message - NO CARRIER

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

duTrieux posted:

i like this idea.

Thank you, I stole it from David Brin and/or Vernor Vinge.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

axolotl farmer posted:

talk to newly discovered aliens using a universal translator - no problem

sending a text message - NO CARRIER

AT&T sucks in the 24th century as well

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

pseudorandom name posted:

Thank you, I stole it from David Brin and/or Vernor Vinge.
people don't believe me when i tell them david brin used to be a great author

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

but mostly I'm really enjoying watching TNG in order :shobon:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
wasnt there something in ds9 where they were like "ok we're reconstructing the broadcast but it'll take like 12 hours"

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

amf5 posted:

wasnt there something in ds9 where they were like "ok we're reconstructing the broadcast but it'll take like 12 hours"

Christ almighty, just download the PAR file and fix that poo poo, this technology exists TODAY

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

my old Sinclair Spectrum did a pretty good job of converting a terrible analog source in to digital every time I loaded a game from a third generation copied tape.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

FMguru posted:

ever see him speak in-person?

i don't think the dude breathes.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

FMguru posted:

The weird thing is that he isn't a very prolific author and the majority of the stuff he wrote was good, his problem is that his bad stuff (the second Uplift trilogy, his entry in the second Foundation trilogy) was all concentrated together in the late '90s and the only thing he's written since then was Kiln People.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
I liked his first uplift trilogy. I even liked parts of the second.

sticky wizard
Nov 19, 2008

amf5 posted:

yeah had something to do with a ~psychic data matrix~ the klingons found in the delta quadrant that caused everyone to turn on eachother and sisko to build a clock

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

coaxmetal posted:

I liked his first uplift trilogy. I even liked parts of the second.

i still have all of these but i smoked a lot of pot while reading them and thought maybe i was remembering it wrong/retarded because sundiver had nothing to do with the second and third books and the first three had nothing to do with the second trilogy

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

i still have all of these but i smoked a lot of pot while reading them and thought maybe i was remembering it wrong/retarded because sundiver had nothing to do with the second and third books and the first three had nothing to do with the second trilogy

sundiver took place way before the second and third books and was referenced in later books, I forgot if there is anything that connects the two trilogies other than they take place in the same universe and sometimes make reference to sundiver though.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
Actually don't really remember much of anything about the 2 books after sundiver, except there were dolphins. They could have sucked, I recall enjoying them tho.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

coaxmetal posted:

Actually don't really remember much of anything about the 2 books after sundiver, except there were dolphins. They could have sucked, I recall enjoying them tho.

multiple cetaceans, iirc

it was fun before i became aware of people who think they are/dress like animals and the whole "uplift" idea became very very disturbing

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
especially the parts with pink chimp asses

in retrospect :barf:

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

sticky wizard posted:

yeah had something to do with a ~psychic data matrix~ the klingons found in the delta quadrant that caused everyone to turn on eachother and sisko to build a clock
that's a good ep, even though people hate on it

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

axolotl farmer posted:

Enterprise come in! Enterprise come in!

We are in grave danger so s͖̞̼ͧ̒̓̽̽͐͊ȏ̷̝͗ ̢͉̀ͮ͌̿I̯ͦ͞'̹̬̞̻̟͍̱ͣ̀ͦ̏͌ͬ͗͟m̤̑̾ ̟̠̹͖ͥ͌ṣ̟̰̋̌̓͗ͫͪ̕e̒̆ͨ̒̀̄n͇̗͍͚̰ͣ̓̽̀͋ͩ̔ď̖̹͓̜̹̒̾̉ͨ͞í̩͎̮ͨ͝ń͎̥̜̰̘̰͓̀g̟͇̣̬͖̼ͣ̐̏̋̔ͬͧͅ ̬͓̗͙͉̣̐̆ͥt͕ͩͮ͒̒̅͘h̙͔́ͥ͋ͩ͒́i͕̗̩̎͗́s̗̬̩̗͓̦̈́̓͋̑͗ ̦̘͉̞̺̫̣͛̉̈́̐d̺̓istress call that all our liv̘̮̣͖̩̞͉̆͌̒̂̇̽̒e̟͍̟ͮ̉̊s͕̄̓ ̰̳̤̕d̻̯̣̠ͣ́e͙͙͔͊̍ṗ̷̬̝̩̤̟̓ͯͤ̈̊ͨe̗̻̳̱̠̟ͥn̵̰̖̥͇̮͖ͣd̅ͬ ̹̹͉͖̼͎͔͋̉̐͌̇͜u̮̗̅̆̑͗p̨͉͓̪͓͈̐on as a garbled voice messa̗̥ͦḡ̭̋ͤͮ̒̄e̩ ̰̞̯ͣͨ̄ͦ̽i̘̯̝̤͉̳̤̽ͧͭͭͣn̡͈ͪͭs̸͉͇̼͎͙͉̺ͧ̽ͣͥ̏ͫ̈́t͈̫ͬ̎ͣ͌ͪͪ̽͘ead of sending a loving text.

dangit someone tell me how to do this

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Wilhelm_Scream.wav posted:

dangit someone tell me how to do this

zalgo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

amf5 posted:

i was just thinking "hey i havent looked in the tviv star trek thread in a while and while typically horrible its sometimes amusing"

then blam 20 lovely 3mb gifs crash mobilesafari

lol you use safari

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
what should i be using on ios then, opera mini?

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

zalgo
m̷̮ͪͧͨ͂ͅÿ̱̮̲̤̙̖́̍̿͒ ̰͍̖̝̤͘b̔ͧͭa̬̐͌̓ͮ͆̎̆l̘̳̮̝̤͙ͥ͊̾ͅl̝̤̮̦̻̼̤̆ͨs͐ͫ̓̔

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

amf5 posted:

what should i be using on ios then, opera mini?

ie9 through rdp session

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Shaggar posted:

ie9 through rdp session

repetitive donkey punch session?

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Shaggar posted:

ie9 through rdp session

shaggar this is so crazy i have to try it so thank you for that

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Trig Discipline posted:

repetitive donkey punch session?

if you like

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

so, what's a good blu-ray player to buy? :(

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

duTrieux posted:

i have a ps3 but i'm sure there's some cheap lovely one that isn't awful like a ps3

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

duTrieux posted:

a pc and a megaupload account

oh

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ḑ̴̛̲̠̟̩̥̗͚ͤͯ̈͑ͧͪ̋ͬ̐ͧ̿͑̽͐̓͒̓̚͠E̵̖̘͙̜̝͔̠͈̩̠̻̜͖̣͉͍̯̝̪̓̓̿ͭͭ́͘͢͝H̴̷̫̝͕̦̻̺̋̄̐̓ͦ̅ͦ̿̍̾ͮ̈́̀̚Ŭ͕̦͎̝͂͋̌ͤ̋̏͋̊̌̎̋ͣ́̀M̷̧̝͈̰̼̣͕̭̯̞̦͚̭̤͇͓̹͓̫ͬ͆̓̃́̃ͣ̉̉̿͘͟A̢ͯ͊̆͊ͣ̕͘҉͖͕͕͉̪̟N̸̷̥͔͎̮̠̺̭͓͈͚̒ͮ̍͗͂̔́̐ͬ͟͝ͅI͒ͩͤͦ̒́͞͏̵͎̬̠͕͎̳̦͖͟Ẑ̶̴͈̰̲̠̙̱͓͎͔̯͈̪ͫͣ̔͒̌́́͠E̵̯̝͈̫̮̻̻͔͖͎͙͚̩̜̠̠̎̾̓̀́̊̃̎̃̑ ̰̟͓̲͕̟̲̝̘̟͖͉̮̗̺̯̽͆̉ͮ̊͂́̋̄́̿͑̐̌̚̚͜Y̡̧̛̩̜̫̘͖̬͙̩̦̲̱͙̱̼̬̆̑̇̾̔͗ͪͣ̾ͩͯ͘Õ̴̸̵̪̟̯͎̘̬̘̜̩̹̑͛̊͆͛̍ͨ͋̊͒̂́ͨ̅͑̅̏̚͜ͅU̸̢̝̬̝̥̐ͭ͋̽̐́ͤ̅ͤ̓ͬͯͣ̊̑ͬͩ͐͢͝R̴̙̗͖̲͓̗̺͗̅̈́̇̈́̔͐ͫ͑̔̏̾́̚̚͝S̷̖̱̥͓͚͔̝̭̼̰̹͖͍͍̹̙̯̮̭ͬͬ̿ͪ̆ͨ̿̿̉́E̷̴̛̝̬̳͎̝̟̯ͧ̄̍ͧͯ͒͂ͧ͒̚͝Ļ̴̵̦̜̟̭̝̻̠̼̮̻̾ͧ̈ͪ͛ͤ̈ͣ̓͆̉̇̌̓̏͗̈́́̚͟͟F̵̵̸̛̲̮̳̻͔̣̪̖͈̲̿̋͌̃̐̌ͤͫ̑͊ͤ͒͗̎̆̋̔̋ͤ͞ ̸̷̛̫̗̬̠̭̟͚̖̹̻̖̜̬̰̤͆́ͭ̌́̃̈̓͒ͬͫ̎̌͡͞A̶̲͖̞̪͍͇̥͚̥̫̺̫͈̥͔̺̤̖̋̽ͧ̀͐̓͝N̠͇̫͖͍̻͚͈̤̺̬̥͕̝̮̤̹͓̆ͦ͑ͩ̔̑̅ͪͭͮͩ́̒̋͒̅̑̔ͣ̀͜D̶̸̸̛̠͕͍̯̝̳̏̊ͫͦ ̨̝͙̠̫͓͓̲͖̟̼͍ͦ̊ͣ͒̄͋͛͒͐ͣ̀F̸̘̠̮̙̼̱͖̮̀̈͑͑ͭ̃̈́ͦͨͮ̉͛͂ͪ͆̄̂ͭ́Ą̈́̍ͥ̊̆͜͏͙͙͖̲͔̀͠C͌͛ͬ̊͑͆ͩ̄̃͛ͩͣͯ͋̂̚҉̷̶̜̠̤̯̱̻͖͇̘̫̩͜Ĕ̸̵̛̫̖̘̻̠̩̣̮̝̠̠̲̼͔͚ͨ̏̀́̈́̊͟͡ ̊͒͐̆̒̊̄͐͗́ͫ͗͏̷̶͖̥͔̝̲̜̀T̡̨̹͉͇̩̰͙̱̮̳ͤ̉̄̓̒ͫ̈́̆̚͠Oͣͫͤ̽̆ͤͫ̂͑͐̑͆͋̿̊̆̀҉̡̛̗̙̤̪̹͖̰͓̙ͅ ̶̵̢ͧ̄͛ͨ͡͏͓̟͖͇̫B̧̢̢͚̗͉̗̺̫͔̱̬ͯ̒ͧ͂̋͛͗͜L̔ͩ̎ͫ̈́ͦͥ̾ͫ́ͪ͊ͭ͟͏̸̩̤̜̜̝̠̮͢͠Ơ̲͖̙̝̲͉̲̤͈̣͙̦̣͇̼ͪ̐͑̓̌͌͗̃̋́̔̕͠Ǫ̸̴̨̦̙̠̩̣̣͎̺̥̩͍̟̮̥̋͐͗ͦ͋̉̉̚ͅD̸ͬͮ̒̌ͫͣ̓͋̌̓ͬ̇ͧͦ͋ͩ̒҉̛̣͓̞̙͝ͅŜ̈̐̌ͥ̆̋ͨ͌ͬͧͯ͆̚͢͏̶̗̣̯̠̲H̶̃̽ͦͤͬ̎ͤͨͭ̂ͨ́̆͏̜̟͉͉̬̘̪̗̺̙̲̘̺̗̣́͢Ḛ̴̵̶̦͎̟̊̌̋ͫͣ̋ͩͤ̐̔ͣ̌̏͂ͬ̌ͩ͟͜Ḏ̶̜̳̫̓ͥͯ̍̐̓͒̍͊͗ͣ̾̽͂͊̅̾̏͆

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Wilhelm_Scream.wav posted:

Ḑ̴̛̲̠̟̩̥̗͚ͤͯ̈͑ͧͪ̋ͬ̐ͧ̿͑̽͐̓͒̓̚͠E̵̖̘͙̜̝͔̠͈̩̠̻̜͖̣͉͍̯̝̪̓̓̿ͭͭ́͘͢͝H̴̷̫̝͕̦̻̺̋̄̐̓ͦ̅ͦ̿̍̾ͮ̈́̀̚Ŭ͕̦͎̝͂͋̌ͤ̋̏͋̊̌̎̋ͣ́̀M̷̧̝͈̰̼̣͕̭̯̞̦͚̭̤͇͓̹͓̫ͬ͆̓̃́̃ͣ̉̉̿͘͟A̢ͯ͊̆͊ͣ̕͘҉͖͕͕͉̪̟N̸̷̥͔͎̮̠̺̭͓͈͚̒ͮ̍͗͂̔́̐ͬ͟͝ͅI͒ͩͤͦ̒́͞͏̵͎̬̠͕͎̳̦͖͟Ẑ̶̴͈̰̲̠̙̱͓͎͔̯͈̪ͫͣ̔͒̌́́͠E̵̯̝͈̫̮̻̻͔͖͎͙͚̩̜̠̠̎̾̓̀́̊̃̎̃̑ ̰̟͓̲͕̟̲̝̘̟͖͉̮̗̺̯̽͆̉ͮ̊͂́̋̄́̿͑̐̌̚̚͜Y̡̧̛̩̜̫̘͖̬͙̩̦̲̱͙̱̼̬̆̑̇̾̔͗ͪͣ̾ͩͯ͘Õ̴̸̵̪̟̯͎̘̬̘̜̩̹̑͛̊͆͛̍ͨ͋̊͒̂́ͨ̅͑̅̏̚͜ͅU̸̢̝̬̝̥̐ͭ͋̽̐́ͤ̅ͤ̓ͬͯͣ̊̑ͬͩ͐͢͝R̴̙̗͖̲͓̗̺͗̅̈́̇̈́̔͐ͫ͑̔̏̾́̚̚͝S̷̖̱̥͓͚͔̝̭̼̰̹͖͍͍̹̙̯̮̭ͬͬ̿ͪ̆ͨ̿̿̉́E̷̴̛̝̬̳͎̝̟̯ͧ̄̍ͧͯ͒͂ͧ͒̚͝Ļ̴̵̦̜̟̭̝̻̠̼̮̻̾ͧ̈ͪ͛ͤ̈ͣ̓͆̉̇̌̓̏͗̈́́̚͟͟F̵̵̸̛̲̮̳̻͔̣̪̖͈̲̿̋͌̃̐̌ͤͫ̑͊ͤ͒͗̎̆̋̔̋ͤ͞ ̸̷̛̫̗̬̠̭̟͚̖̹̻̖̜̬̰̤͆́ͭ̌́̃̈̓͒ͬͫ̎̌͡͞A̶̲͖̞̪͍͇̥͚̥̫̺̫͈̥͔̺̤̖̋̽ͧ̀͐̓͝N̠͇̫͖͍̻͚͈̤̺̬̥͕̝̮̤̹͓̆ͦ͑ͩ̔̑̅ͪͭͮͩ́̒̋͒̅̑̔ͣ̀͜D̶̸̸̛̠͕͍̯̝̳̏̊ͫͦ ̨̝͙̠̫͓͓̲͖̟̼͍ͦ̊ͣ͒̄͋͛͒͐ͣ̀F̸̘̠̮̙̼̱͖̮̀̈͑͑ͭ̃̈́ͦͨͮ̉͛͂ͪ͆̄̂ͭ́Ą̈́̍ͥ̊̆͜͏͙͙͖̲͔̀͠C͌͛ͬ̊͑͆ͩ̄̃͛ͩͣͯ͋̂̚҉̷̶̜̠̤̯̱̻͖͇̘̫̩͜Ĕ̸̵̛̫̖̘̻̠̩̣̮̝̠̠̲̼͔͚ͨ̏̀́̈́̊͟͡ ̊͒͐̆̒̊̄͐͗́ͫ͗͏̷̶͖̥͔̝̲̜̀T̡̨̹͉͇̩̰͙̱̮̳ͤ̉̄̓̒ͫ̈́̆̚͠Oͣͫͤ̽̆ͤͫ̂͑͐̑͆͋̿̊̆̀҉̡̛̗̙̤̪̹͖̰͓̙ͅ ̶̵̢ͧ̄͛ͨ͡͏͓̟͖͇̫B̧̢̢͚̗͉̗̺̫͔̱̬ͯ̒ͧ͂̋͛͗͜L̔ͩ̎ͫ̈́ͦͥ̾ͫ́ͪ͊ͭ͟͏̸̩̤̜̜̝̠̮͢͠Ơ̲͖̙̝̲͉̲̤͈̣͙̦̣͇̼ͪ̐͑̓̌͌͗̃̋́̔̕͠Ǫ̸̴̨̦̙̠̩̣̣͎̺̥̩͍̟̮̥̋͐͗ͦ͋̉̉̚ͅD̸ͬͮ̒̌ͫͣ̓͋̌̓ͬ̇ͧͦ͋ͩ̒҉̛̣͓̞̙͝ͅŜ̈̐̌ͥ̆̋ͨ͌ͬͧͯ͆̚͢͏̶̗̣̯̠̲H̶̃̽ͦͤͬ̎ͤͨͭ̂ͨ́̆͏̜̟͉͉̬̘̪̗̺̙̲̘̺̗̣́͢Ḛ̴̵̶̦͎̟̊̌̋ͫͣ̋ͩͤ̐̔ͣ̌̏͂ͬ̌ͩ͟͜Ḏ̶̜̳̫̓ͥͯ̍̐̓͒̍͊͗ͣ̾̽͂͊̅̾̏͆
still need the flvs for that poo poo, since it's private on youtube and all

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

duTrieux posted:

Remember how after a while, nearly all DVD players started being the same cheap garbage in different plastic boxes, regardless of brand?

Blu-Ray was like that from the start. Hope you like seek times.

(Serious answer: Oppo makes really good poo poo, but they're much more expensive.)

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
a ps3 is probably an ok blu ray player but I bet you can get way cheaper ones. I have a ps3 cuz I wanted to play some of the exclusive games. I have never watched a blu ray (on it, or anywhere else actually).

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

coaxmetal posted:

a ps3 is probably an ok blu ray player but I bet you can get way cheaper ones. I have a ps3 cuz I wanted to play some of the exclusive games. I have never watched a blu ray (on it, or anywhere else actually).
don't they have blu-ray players for food stamps yet?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

amf5 posted:

i was just thinking "hey i havent looked in the tviv star trek thread in a while and while typically horrible its sometimes amusing"

then blam 20 lovely 3mb gifs crash mobilesafari

condolences on your lovely internet experience

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

zalgo

nice ripoff of the real site

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

condolences on your lovely internet experience

sorry lets all give aatrek blowies for showing us tng hd in poorly dithered 256 color format

the quality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

amf5 posted:

sorry lets all give aatrek blowies for showing us tng hd in poorly dithered 256 color format

the quality

i think a mouse event and some javascript and some jpgs would have been nicer and its like two lines of code

• Locked thread