Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I rode Q2s in very light snow / slush / -0*f weather last year all winter without an off, put a few days on some BT003 takeoffs in the winter this year.

That said, unless you're grabbing throttle quick or have a torquey bike you should be alright. Slides are normal, pay attention to the ones that happen when you come off the throttle - that means you're riding ice blocks and should probably take the car or be super goddamn careful until you get some heat in the tires.

Admittedly, I am a loving retard. I'd never ever actually tell anyone it's a good idea to ride in snow-ish or temps approaching freezing, let alone on race takeoffs.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I slid around a whole lot last week, but didn't manage to drop the thing. 5F or so in the morning, 50F or so when I got off of work. The frozen mud lake I parked on turned to actual 3" deep dripping liquid mud by noon, and the bike sunk.

'08 Pilot Power 2s, I think, bandit 1200, +1 front sprocket, so no more low-end. I can't manage to roll on a wheelie in 2nd anymore (below 6k), but I still can't manage to do more than get the back end to slide about in the muck. I guess I just ride around like a girl. It sucks that I only do rolling burnouts when I find submerged sheetrock at 7F under the sludge.

This bike must suck. I can only go 140mph on city streets, but I can't figure out how to slide the back end out enough to get it to lay down. I guess 100 RWHP isn't enough to be a dong. Stupid MSF and teaching me to modulate brake and clutch. Oh well. Trailbraking can only get me so much stability. I'll eventually crash this one.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Only 140 MPH in town? Stop riding like a girl!

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
While riding like a dong I fell over at a yellow line today (our equivalent of a stop sign).

I was trying to be a clever dick and stop fully and take off without putting my feet down, when the KTM 690 EFI decided that was enough cocking about thank you, and stalled. I'd have been fine but this stop is on a sloping corner and I had already shifted my body weight over to turn. This fact combined with the hobbit-legs I inherited from my Bretagne ancestors and riding one of the tallest production bikes around resulted in a hilarious slow motion topple.

I have no idea what I was thinking

(lies, I was thinking "this is going to be so rad, gently caress me I'm cool")

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

ReelBigLizard posted:

While riding like a dong I fell over at a yellow line today (our equivalent of a stop sign).

I was trying to be a clever dick and stop fully and take off without putting my feet down, when the KTM 690 EFI decided that was enough cocking about thank you, and stalled. I'd have been fine but this stop is on a sloping corner and I had already shifted my body weight over to turn. This fact combined with the hobbit-legs I inherited from my Bretagne ancestors and riding one of the tallest production bikes around resulted in a hilarious slow motion topple.

Ahaha. That's got to be one if the best ones in this thread

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ReelBigLizard posted:

I have been doing the no feet down stop for about a year now, waiting for that to happen.

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006

kylej posted:

Riding like a dong rules that is all.

I dont mean to ride like a dong. I always start off like, 'right I've got 40ish miles into London to cover. I'll just take it chill and not show off. There's a lot of traffic...'

and 2 minutes later I'm lanesplitting, doing 120+Mph on the motorway and just thinking that I'm the guy from Dr Strangelove on a nuke screaming 'YEEEEEEHAAAAAAW'

I don't know why it happens.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I fully expect my epitaph to be "He died riding the way he lived ... like a dong."

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

mootmoot posted:

I don't know why it happens.

"Crushing levels of stupid" comes to mind

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

More like crashing levels.

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006

M4rg4r1ne posted:

Internet Comedy Forums Gold.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
I hit a dog with my foot at 70km/h about 20 minutes and my dririder touring boots didn't soften the blow much.

Pitch black coming home from work at 2am, just about to get back into town when I see a white dog, so I slow right down and let it go about it's business, then I twist the throttle and all of a sudden smash my foot into something that lets out a giant yelp.

The dog seemed fine, probably going to have a bit of a headache though, but my foot loving aches.

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007

M4rg4r1ne posted:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Rudager posted:

I hit a dog with my foot at 70km/h about 20 minutes and my dririder touring boots didn't soften the blow much.

Pitch black coming home from work at 2am, just about to get back into town when I see a white dog, so I slow right down and let it go about it's business, then I twist the throttle and all of a sudden smash my foot into something that lets out a giant yelp.

The dog seemed fine, probably going to have a bit of a headache though, but my foot loving aches.

Don't lie...you stuck your boot out to give it a big kick mootmoot style. The road is yours and anyone moving in on it gets a clothesline to the dome.

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006

nsaP posted:

Don't lie...you stuck your boot out to give it a big kick mootmoot style. The road is yours and anyone moving in on it gets a clothesline to the dome.

hahaha are you referring to:

mootmoot posted:

Whilst on my motorbike I was lane-splitting at about 20 Mph on a one-way street. I was travelling on the RHS of the traffic. There was a pedestrian walking down the road in the opposite direction of the traffic in front of me and coming up fast; not on the pavement as the pavement was overcrowded.

As I was approaching him I stuck my right hand out and pointed to the pavement, motioning, 'get on the pavement you idiot - you're walking contraflow to the traffic and you're in my way.' He just looked at me attempting to stare me down, continuing to walk towards me, about 5 seconds from colliding.

I beckoned, furiously pointing towards the pavement and at the critical moment he sidestepped to the left, onto the pavement avoiding me.

I however, and I have NO IDEA why I did it, kept my hand out and clotheslined him.

Goons forget NOTHING

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Becktastic fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 24, 2012

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Becktastic posted:

*quote deleted*

I have to say, the way you say your flip-up helmet opened a bit makes me glad I went for a one-piece, it could have hosed up your chin a lot worse than a couple of scratches.

Ninja edit: Oh dear, I just had a better look at the first pic of your arm. loving ouch that looks so wrong.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jan 24, 2012

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Holy poo poo, glad you're ok! Your arm honestly gave me the chills. Hope they can put you back together again with a minimum of metal.
I don't know why, but seeing a poster whose name I recognize in a crash post just seems worse than people I've never heard of before.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Double Post ahoy!

sirbeefalot posted:

Just wanted to reply to this even though its kinda old and has probably been resolved by now anyway, as it sounds pretty much exactly like my crash about a year and a half ago. Same exact situation, speeds, etc. The CHP officer was a little more professional, in that he didn't immediately make a determination and tell me I was at fault. Went through the other person's insurance, didn't seek any medical attention, got my settlement for the bike, physical injury and gear as three separate checks within a couple weeks. Basically had a couple phone calls with hers and my insurance companies, and mine stuck up for me and told them to gently caress off regarding me accepting any liability.

Ponied up for the report a week or two later, and I was determined to be at fault, being a "small and difficult to see vehicle traveling at an unsafe speed for the conditions." V:shobon:V

Actually nothing at all happened. The girl who hit me contacted me a few times through text to see how I was doing. We pretty much agreed to leave it and not go through insurance. I took a few weeks off because my shoulder and knee were hurting and I felt like I needed time to reflect on the crash (yes, I said reflect. I live in Cali dammit).
Even though I wasn't doing anything illegal and she should have been watching more closely I still take a greater deal of the blame. Lane splitting at night, in 35 degree soggy weather using the inner two lanes is just asking to get whacked. I should have been more careful.

mootmoot posted:

Whilst on my motorbike I was lane-splitting at about 20 Mph on a one-way street. I was travelling on the RHS of the traffic. There was a pedestrian walking down the road in the opposite direction of the traffic in front of me and coming up fast; not on the pavement as the pavement was overcrowded.

As I was approaching him I stuck my right hand out and pointed to the pavement, motioning, 'get on the pavement you idiot - you're walking contraflow to the traffic and you're in my way.' He just looked at me attempting to stare me down, continuing to walk towards me, about 5 seconds from colliding.

I beckoned, furiously pointing towards the pavement and at the critical moment he sidestepped to the left, onto the pavement avoiding me.

I however, and I have NO IDEA why I did it, kept my hand out and clotheslined him.

I think you're probably going to die pretty soon but this is loving hilarious to me. I just might be a bigger dick than I thought.

Bugdrvr fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 21, 2012

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

Becktastic posted:

I gots hit.

I absolutely refuse to believe this happened anywhere other than Campbell and Speedway. Only because I am terrified of this exact thing happening to me at that intersection.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Holy hell Becks, glad you are alive! Hope your arm gets sorted and that all the insurance stuff goes painlessly.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Get well soon Beck. My lady is just getting into riding on the street now, and I've used your adventures multiple times as encouragement. Heal up, and when you're ready we'll be hear eagerly reading your ride reports.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Oof that wrist! :(

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Nooo not Beck! lovely to hear that but at least its heal-able. :)

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Becktastic posted:

Man that sucks. I'm not happy with 2011/2012 as it relates to bikers. Bunch of people I know online and offline have had bad crashes. Was this on Tucson surface streets?

A note on your bike, I think a crash like that would more than likely bend forks and maybe even steering head. Strongly advise junking the bike. If you want to keep it and intend to replace parts, one thing I learned in school is to look for cracked paint around the steering head, which indicates a bent frame. To see if it really is a good idea to fix it back up.

Good luck.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Yeah, to elaborate on what he said, every bike vs car where the bike hits the car head on has completely ruined the bike.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Bugdrvr posted:

I don't know why, but seeing a poster whose name I recognize in a crash post just seems worse than people I've never heard of before.

Just wanted to echo this, good luck Becktastic. All I can say is after a few sports related surgeries, is that you should do the PT religiously, gently caress it--do twice as much PT as they recommend and you'll be thankful later

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
:ohdear:

My old roommate had a wreck sorta like that. He managed to somehow slam fully into the side of the car instead of going over, though. He also wasn't wearing full gear on his GIXXAR THOU - an $800 helmet, cheap lovely gloves and a 'backpack with padded shoulder straps' and ended up at the least tearing a ligament in his wrist and spraining his shoulder, both of which still give him trouble almost two years later. Partially because he didn't follow up properly with either corrective surgery or physical therapy, because he's a bit of an idiot. Like aventari said, get the care, do the PT, your 5-years-from-now self will thank you for it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Holy poo poo, glad you're mostly ok. Echoing the PT recommendations, all I've heard is that the worse it is now the better it'll be later.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Becktastic posted:

My arm looked like this:

Looks like it's still kind of attached to your body. Use it to your advantage. You'll be the most convincing zombie. Any chance I can rent you for my youngest sons birthday party?

poo poo and giggles aside, you've got any X-rays of that poo poo? My dad (at almost 90 y.o.) claims that he's some kind of orthopedic surgery super hero. If you ask him, he kind of invented hand surgery.

Did you break your Os Scaphoideum? If you did, you should insist on getting a Herbert screw.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sir Cornelius posted:

you should insist on getting a Herbert screw.

That's not funny, Herbert <:mad:>

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

That's not funny, Herbert <:mad:>

I wear mine with pride.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Becktastic posted:

*quote deleted*

Ah poo poo, I want to be this happy too! Morphine doesn't agree with my body though, about ten seconds after I get some (intravenously) I start puking like mad.

Good luck with the arm. My Herbert screw is 35 mm, titanium, and does not set of metal detectors. Works like a charm!

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 24, 2012

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Holy poo poo. Glad you're largely okay. Heal quick!

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

:ohdear: that looks brutal. Science-speed recovery, ma'am.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
Heal fast Becktastic! Glad that's all the damage the car did to you, and I'm really sorry about the Zeb. :(

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
That sucks Becktastic, hopefully you will be good to go in the next few months for some spring riding. Heal up quick!

Also you should have caved that guys head in with your hiking boots.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

A note on your bike, I think a crash like that would more than likely bend forks and maybe even steering head. Strongly advise junking the bike. If you want to keep it and intend to replace parts, one thing I learned in school is to look for cracked paint around the steering head, which indicates a bent frame. To see if it really is a good idea to fix it back up.
Point of order: It's a DRZ. Throw some 17's on it, and don't give the parking wheel a second thought.

Glad you're OK, Beck.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Ugh, I always feel a little sick when I see a big jump in replies to this thread, glad you're OK.

:ohdear: I hope it's not RIP to the DRZebra; your trip threads made that bike a forums icon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006
Unfortunate. Never like to hear of a bad wreck. Get better quickly.

• Locked thread