Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I expected the Shamed Ones to play a bigger role in the downfall of the Vong. Having a Nom Anor lead galaxy wide slave revolt that crippled the Vong and let the GA come in and be all bad rear end with lasers and lightsabers would have been 10x better than a planet showing up and a bunch of seed-pot star fighters that didn't actually fire at anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Nom Anor's antihero arc in the last few books is easily the second best part of NJO (other than, you know, Traitor) and is probably among the highlights of Star Wars EU in general.

Really, the amount of irony that goes into his character through the entire series (including Traitor, hey there's that book again) goes a long way to making NJO worth reading (but not quite enough, in the end).

Cross-posting this from the Tiny Tower thread in Games:

quote:

One of my tenants is a "Kevin Anderson" whose dream job is the Game Store, and frequently posts to Bitbook about how he's a big deal.

I'm oddly proud of that man.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 17, 2012

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

McGann posted:

I dunno, I'm 1/3rd of the way through it (Just started Part II) and I rather like Plagueis. But you're right - I'm definitely more interested now that Palpatine is in it.

Just wait until the end where you find out what an utter chump Plagueis actually was.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Big feature story on Papa George in the New York Times Magazine this week. Most of it's about Red Tails, but I thought you might "enjoy" this part.

quote:

REVENGE OF THE FANBOYS

Since 1997, the year Lucas released his special editions of the original “Star Wars” movies in theaters, he has been attacked by the very fans who once embraced his heroic style. They didn’t like how Lucas changed the old movies; they didn’t like the prequels, which seemed wooden and juvenile; and the Star Wars merchandising blitz they once gorged on had begun to drive them nuts. (All six “Star Wars” films will return to theaters in 3-D, beginning in February.)

“I think there are a lot more important things in the world” than feuds with fanboys, Lucas says with a kind of weary diffidence. But then he gets serious, even a little wounded. Lucas explains that his first major features — “THX 1138” and “American Graffiti” — were forcibly re-edited by the studios. Those were wrenching experiences he has compared to someone keying your car (he loves cars) or chopping a finger off one of your children (he has three and loves them too). Afterward, Lucas set out to gain financial independence so the final cut would forever be his. “If the movie doesn’t work,” he vowed, “it’s going to be my fault.”

In the last decade and a half, Lucas has given “Star Wars” several “final” cuts. For the 1997 special edition, he made Greedo, a green-skinned alien, fire his blaster at Han Solo because Han’s murdering Greedo in cold blood — as the 1977 version had it — struck him as a violation of his own naďve style. For the new Blu-ray version of “Return of the Jedi,” Lucas added Darth Vader shouting, “Nooo!” as he seizes the evil emperor in the movie’s climactic scene. Lucas made the Ewoks blink. And so forth.

When fanboys wailed, Lucas did not just hear the scream of young Jedis; he heard something like the voice of the studio. The dumb, uncomprehending voice in his Socratic dialogues — a voice telling him how to make a blockbuster. “On the Internet, all those same guys that are complaining I made a change are completely changing the movie,” Lucas says, referring to fans who, like the dreaded studios, have done their own forcible re-edits. “I’m saying: ‘Fine. But my movie, with my name on it, that says I did it, needs to be the way I want it.’ ”

Lucas seized control of his movies from the studios only to discover that the fanboys could still give him script notes. “Why would I make any more,” Lucas says of the “Star Wars” movies, “when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/magazine/george-lucas-red-tails.html?pagewanted=all&src=ISMR_AP_LO_MST_FB

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
How sad. Lucas just doesn't get it, nor do the fans get his point of view.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I wonder if ESB is still Lucas's least favorite, when its almost universally everyone elses favorite.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mister Roboto posted:

How sad. Lucas just doesn't get it, nor do the fans get his point of view.

I think everyone gets his point of view, they just see it for the unreasonable, immature nonsense it is. Lucas refuses to see film making as a collaborative effort, and stubbornly ignores the fact that outside input was what made the first three Star Wars movies good. George Lucas is a hell of an idea man, but he needs storytellers and film makers to temper him, otherwise you get the juvenile, unfocused mess that is the prequel trilogy.

draize_train
Apr 26, 2006
Can't say I feel sorry for Lucas. Most of the "fanboy wailing" would stop if he could just release the original films (in a decent version) along with the Special Editions. I really don't care if he wants to ruin his old films, as long as the originals are still easily available somewhere. They're not, so he can go gently caress himself.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

draize_train posted:

Can't say I feel sorry for Lucas. Most of the "fanboy wailing" would stop if he could just release the original films (in a decent version) along with the Special Editions. I really don't care if he wants to ruin his old films, as long as the originals are still easily available somewhere. They're not, so he can go gently caress himself.

Exactly. Put out a plain, feature-free version of the originals. I'd not only buy that, but I'd buy the damned specials too. I want the extra features and not everything was bad about the enhancements. But if he's going to condemn the originals to movie purgatory, no go.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Go watch the RLM review of the last Indiana Jones and understand why George Lucas could have made it a whole lot worse if given complete creative freedom and not been tempered by Spielberg.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
People also forget the era Lucas developed in as a filmmaker - "The American New Wave" which gave kids several millions and complete creative control and ultimately creating the new formula of success for Hollywood to take back the reins with : the blockbuster.
I sort of see Lucas as being somewhat bitter that he'll never really have that freedom to be creatively expressive again. However you look at the other successes of that era, Spielberg, Coppola, Scorsese and they've all been able to explore their styles and still manage success which really paints Lucas has having quite an insular view on filmmaking.

Lucas talks about expecting Star Wars to be a total flop and then when it unexpectedly became a hit it seems he's taken it literally as "this is the only way I can make a success of myself" and fell into that groove. So when all his other friends go from hit to flop and develop their craft. Spielberg notes how humbling 1941 was for him having come off the success of Jaws and Close Encounters, being in one screening where the only laugh was right at the start when the submarine was approaching the girl.

And with Red Tails there's this odd discord with pushing Anthony Hemmingway to direct the film in the tone of a pulp war comic (and a trilogy!) as it's just another throwback to his love of the 40's that he watched when he was ten, wishing to be a pilot - but sadly couldn't because he discovered he was diabetic.
No wonder why he gets all cut up when fanboys don't want to play make believe with him - shirking away muttering "you just don't get it...how can I make you understand?".

Not A Bear
Nov 4, 2009

quote:

George Lucas has announced his retirement from the movie business.

The director blurted the news to the New York Times in an extensive interview centred on Lucasfilm's upcoming flick, Red Tails.

"I’m retiring," Lucas told the paper. "I’m moving away from the business, from the company, from all this kind of stuff."

While reports suggest a fifth Indiana Jones movie is in the pipeline - a rumour Lucas was hesitant to quash - Red Tails is apparently the last blockbuster in the man's plans.

Long-time Lucas producer Rick McCallum fuelled the claim saying: “Once this is finished… He will have completed his task as a man and a filmmaker."

Lucas, 67, is apparently keen to return to art-house indie films, an area he expected to spend his career before Star Wars propelled him into the limelight.
Star Wars: The Complete Saga

Lucas also revealed his disappointment of being attacked by Star Wars fans, hitting out at those unhappy with special editions and recuts of the original trilogy, his extension of the franchise through three prequels, and the company's relentless merchandise push.

The fanboy moans remind the director of how studios used to forcefully edit his first movies, with THX 1138 and American Graffiti prime examples.

“On the internet, all those same guys that are complaining I made a change are completely changing the movie,” Lucas remarks. “I’m saying: ‘Fine. But my movie, with my name on it, that says I did it, needs to be the way I want it’.”

Lucas clearly likes to do things his way and following the 3D releases of all six Star Wars films - which roll out on the big-screen from this February - the director is hanging up his Empire boots for good.

“Why would I make any more, when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?”

Source: http://www.reghardware.com/2012/01/18/george_lucas_calls_quits_on_blockbuster_career/

Apologies if this has been posted already, but woah I really did not see this coming at all, I never expected him to actually acknowledge the complaints about any of his movies - let alone retire! Anyone able to decipher the meaning behind any of his 'guys on the internet' quotes? Seems all kinds of :psyduck: to me

Guess we can finally pack it in! *cue ewok celebratory music*

Edit for source

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I like that he says that he's retiring from blockbuster movies after Red Tails, but still plans on doing Indy V.

Anyway, I call BS on it. For years he kept saying that once the prequels were done he was going to return to "art-house indie films" and that obviously hasn't happened. If anything I think he'll do Indy V as his last movie but keep focusing on Star Wars prequel TV shows.

Not A Bear
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah that is kinda confusing - sounds quite a bit like he's finally caught the RLM reviews of the prequels and is now having a sulk/and or taking his bat an ball home cause of all the mean things the kids have said.

Maybe he's just having a bit of a vent. That being said, he shouldnt do Indy V at all...ever

TheCommodore07
Sep 24, 2007

Scallywags on the larboard side! Open Fire!

quote:

“I’m saying: ‘Fine. But my movie, with my name on it, that says I did it, needs to be the way I want it’.”

Wow, those credits were short. John Williams must have made a 0:02 second song because that's how short the credits must have been at the end of the Star Wars films.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I like how his interpretation of events is, "Fans are just like movie studios, they won't let me become a beautiful butterfly," instead of, "when I'm given complete creative control I tend to churn out poo poo nobody likes."

Poor George, wants so badly to be the kind of auteur director who can both realize a vision and please audiences. Everything about his film career indicates his best work was created when outside forces were keeping his dumbass ideas in check.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

His response is astonishingly juvenile. It would be one thing to say, "Hey, I earned the money, I'm paying the entire budget for the prequels, I got done what I wanted done and I'm sorry if you didn't like it," that would be one thing.

Instead, he basically is saying that if you don't like him, he's taking his ball and going home.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
George obviously has some sort of personality disorder.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

George obviously has some sort of personality disorder.

He sounds like almost every big website admin/webcomic artist/youtube celebrity reacting to criticism.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I hate Lucas' point about the movies still being his. It's like he wants to take the "publish" out of "publishing".

quote:

Anyway, I call BS on it. For years he kept saying that once the prequels were done he was going to return to "art-house indie films" and that obviously hasn't happened. If anything I think he'll do Indy V as his last movie but keep focusing on Star Wars prequel TV shows.

I think this retirement is just a publicity stunt to promote Red Tails as the last movie George Lucas ever made.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

I think this retirement is just a publicity stunt to promote Red Tails as the last movie George Lucas ever made.
He was only the executive producer on it - that is he provided the chief financing for the project. Another boon is that it gives the project some "star cred" and Lucas then becomes a mouthpiece as he's instantly recognizable compared to Anthony Hemingway - which makes his whole hissy fit about quitting nothing more than hijacking the project's publicity to soapbox about his own idea of film making.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

WebDog posted:

He was only the executive producer on it - that is he provided the chief financing for the project.

Didn't he do a bunch of reshoots after he drove the original director off with too much meddling?

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
In cuter Star Wars news

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ntDYjS0Y3w

:3:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

404GoonNotFound posted:

Didn't he do a bunch of reshoots after he drove the original director off with too much meddling?

That would be ironic.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

404GoonNotFound posted:

Hemmingway was booked out for Treme so Lucas stepped in to do reshoots - I do wonder if we figure out what they were as the headlines scream "oh they were pickups" to "he's reworking the whole film!"
Pickups are pickups, a few shots here and there to sand over bumps. But reshooting whole scenes usually is indicative of the studio not being happy with something.

The film's getting trashed as it's turning out to be not much more than your cliched war film with flat characters.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
If only there were some way to incorporate stars into this war...

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ezeYJUz-84

A complete remake of Star Wars, done in 15 second increments by hundreds of different people in different media. This will probably be the last interesting Star Wars thing ever released.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

WebDog posted:

Hemmingway was booked out for Treme so Lucas stepped in to do reshoots - I do wonder if we figure out what they were as the headlines scream "oh they were pickups" to "he's reworking the whole film!"
Pickups are pickups, a few shots here and there to sand over bumps. But reshooting whole scenes usually is indicative of the studio not being happy with something.

The film's getting trashed as it's turning out to be not much more than your cliched war film with flat characters.

It was one giant cliche. I love WWII air movies so I was ready to give this a lot of slack but it's seriously bad. The writing is terrible, the sole purpose any line not delivered by one of the main characters (and even a lot of their lines) is to quickly spell out stuff for apparently the audience of rocks they expect to watch this. The lines the bomber crews had were the worst. "Those dang fighter pilots always fly away when the jerries show up" "Hey, these pilots are black!" "Hey, they didn't fly away when the jerries showed up". Terrible writing.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Scruff McGruff posted:

is to quickly spell out stuff for apparently the audience of rocks they expect to watch this.

Lucas said he made the movie for black teenagers. Between this and Jar Jar....well, draw your own conclusions on George's opinion of black people.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Lucas said he made the movie for black teenagers. Between this and Jar Jar....well, draw your own conclusions on George's opinion of black people.

"I sort of know Billy Dee Williams and Samuel L Jackson, I am now the expert of the culture and history for an entire race! Give me your money!"

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

404GoonNotFound posted:

I don't know if this was the case with Red Rails, but the prequels had extensive reshoots built into the schedule.

He clearly knows he loving sucks.

omg car crash
Jul 21, 2008

PRIDE after the fall. Champion, 2011. :dealwithit:
Show I watch the Clone Wars show? I have not seen any of it so I would, of course, be starting from the beginning.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Trump posted:

I don't know if this was the case with Red Rails, but the prequels had extensive reshoots built into the schedule.

He clearly knows he loving sucks.

There were reshoots? God, imagine the originals.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Hes trying to impress his black girlfriend.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

TOOT BOOT posted:

There were reshoots? God, imagine the originals.

I assume because there was so much CGI and they had barely a clue how it'd look until they'd recorded the actors, rendered the CGI and mashed it all together. Makes sense, really, if that's the way you're making the film. It's a dumb way to make a film, of course.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ezeYJUz-84

A complete remake of Star Wars, done in 15 second increments by hundreds of different people in different media. This will probably be the last interesting Star Wars thing ever released.

90% of that was painfully nerdy, but the other 10% was either so cute or so clever it made me watch the whole thing.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

omg car crash posted:

Show I watch the Clone Wars show? I have not seen any of it so I would, of course, be starting from the beginning.

Depends...do you like blocky CGI animation, simplistic and repetitive plots, Hutts with offensively stereotyped flamboyant gay personalities, an annoyingly 'fesity' teen girl self-insertion character, and lots of Jar-Jar and Jar-Jar-esque antics?

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Anyone else here feel that Galen Marek doesn't get enough love? He's so drat overpowered that I actually find it fun to watch his canon-bending use of The Force.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 22, 2012

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Chairman Capone posted:

Depends...do you like blocky CGI animation, simplistic and repetitive plots, Hutts with offensively stereotyped flamboyant gay personalities, an annoyingly 'fesity' teen girl self-insertion character, and lots of Jar-Jar and Jar-Jar-esque antics?

You forgot the long and boring arcs involving galactic senate politics.

Although, any plot arcs with a certain bounty hunter are pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The actor who plays Marek is cool, and he did pretty well in TFU, but goddamn did it seem like he phoned it in for TFU2.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 22, 2012