Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
The only side effect I've seen from this jailbreak so far (other than iBooks being retarded, which happened with the past half dozen jailbreaks) is that icons are sometimes messed up.

The most common issue is white icons. However, the Calendar icon is sometimes a transparent black. This is random. I've seen icons change after reboots, resprings, and even after just running an application.

I take that back, I've thought of two other issues:
Contacts just disappeared. They came back after a few reboots.
Pictures disappeared (Camera Roll and all albums). They also came back after a few reboots.

I've done this jailbreak four times now (twice on a 4S, twice on iPad 2).

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Xenomorph posted:

The most common issue is white icons.

This is happening to my Settings icon (did CLI on a 4S). Also using Suave HD, and it didn't reskin the Mail and Music icons, but I don't think there just aren't icons for those things. My contacts/pictures have been fine though.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
Can somebody outline a way to simply get some files onto a jailbroken device? I was going to try ifile which was recommended in the OP, but it's 4 bucks, and honestly I am just trying to get some SCUMMVM games put onto the thing.

SO far I've tried a couple of other file managers, and they come with things like HTTP browsing, but that doesn't help me dump items onto the device. Or SFTP / SCP, which is great and all, but in the case of MyFile I can't find out what the credentials are.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Linux Nazi posted:

Can somebody outline a way to simply get some files onto a jailbroken device? I was going to try ifile which was recommended in the OP, but it's 4 bucks, and honestly I am just trying to get some SCUMMVM games put onto the thing.

SO far I've tried a couple of other file managers, and they come with things like HTTP browsing, but that doesn't help me dump items onto the device. Or SFTP / SCP, which is great and all, but in the case of MyFile I can't find out what the credentials are.

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=3221

That will cover everything you need to know about SSHing in to your phone except for changing the password.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Umberger posted:

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=3221

That will cover everything you need to know about SSHing in to your phone except for changing the password.

Thanks, basically what I was trying with MyFile, using winscp to connect, and I can, but get rejected no matter what root password I try.

This is a freshly flattened and jailbroken ipod touch 4, any idea if / what the default password would be? Is it a system wide thing?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Linux Nazi posted:

This is a freshly flattened and jailbroken ipod touch 4, any idea if / what the default password would be? Is it a system wide thing?

root / alpine

iirc

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

mewse posted:

root / alpine

iirc

Yup, just noticed that MyFile installed OpenSSH as a dep, so I tried alpine and got right in.

Thanks.

mewse
May 2, 2006

to be fair having a default root password is pretty stupid anyway

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit
Posting to say that the BiteSMS people are pretty awesome. For whatever reason I could not get my BiteSMS license to transfer when I installed it on my 4S this morning. I emailed them, and within an hour, on a Saturday, I had a response and they manually pushed the license to my phone and it works great.

Thanks BiteSMS crew.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I was going to try to contact the SMS/Phone GV Extension to do a transfer license but those apps have literally saved me so much money I just re-bought them.

Got SBSettings and Springflash and that's about it. I'm an absolute Siri whore so I don't even need to see my phone to text anymore.

Is the FakeClockUp app even worth trying on a 4S?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is the FakeClockUp app even worth trying on a 4S?

It kinda makes transitions comically fast.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
I have a glitch with a keyboard downloaded from cydia.
I downloaded a Khmer keyboard (only reason for my jailbreak). If I add the khmer keyboard, I am not able to bring up the keyboard at all. For example, if I'm using safari, I'll tap the google search but nothing happens.
Iif add one of the official keyboards such as Greek, I can use the keyboard like normal such as switching between English and greek.
I don't know if it's the Khmer keyboard is not updated for 5.0.1 or a glitch within the jailbreak.
Any ideas?

Scuttle_SE
Jun 2, 2005
I like mammaries
Pillbug
Also noticed the white icons here, but seems like a respring is enough to get them back, no need to do a full reboot.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Do any of the GV extensions indicate that an incoming phone call is to the GV number AND who they are?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Also, are there any killer 5.1 features that have been announced? Been enjoying being jailbreak free, but the GV thing is killing me as I use it for my side business and would like to know who it is on top of what # they rang.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
What is it I want to do to get BiteSMS:

1) Working "Seamlessly" with my messages app.

2) Integrating into Notifications Center, etc...

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
Is there a good alternative for Safari Download Manager? It crashes Safari in iOS 5.x. There is a Safari Downplugin app, but I haven't been able to get it to work (complains that it can't start saving a file).

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Holy balls, Barrel is my new favourite app :swoon:

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

What's the difference between IntelliScreenX, InfoLock, and SBSettings?

(Also, if anybody knows of a Cydia app to skip forward/backward in videos and audio please let me know)

mewse
May 2, 2006

IncendiaC posted:

Holy balls, Barrel is my new favourite app :swoon:

my three standbys used to be ultrasn0w, barrel, and tetherme. the 4S is not unlockable and my new cell plan includes tethering, so after jailbreaking today barrel is the only thing i have installed via cydia atm

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Is SBSettings the one that lets you put the widgets in the notification center?

toastR
Mar 15, 2001

to infinity and beyond!
Yes, with iOS 5, SBSettings can now put toggles in your notification center.

Is there any tweak that will allow me to do keyword searches in Safari for quick access to Wikipedia, google images, etc? Something like this must exist, but I'm having a hell of a time finding it.

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?

Biodome posted:

Is SBSettings the one that lets you put the widgets in the notification center?

Yes, just go into Settings > Notifications and add SBSettings to the "In Notification Center" list.

Feenix posted:

What is it I want to do to get BiteSMS:

1) Working "Seamlessly" with my messages app.

2) Integrating into Notifications Center, etc...

In the Quick Reply settings, for Alert Style: "Use Apple Settings" and for In Notification Center: "Open Quick Reply", then further down under Lock Screen: "Auto Show Quick Reply" turned off.

You'll get the text message and it'll look like default for iOS 5, but when you swipe to open, the Quick Reply box will show up instead. Also, if you pull the notification center down and tap the text message, that will open Quick Reply.

Side note: if you go into "more stuff" you can change the icon to the default messages icon and hide the messages app completely.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

HorseDickSandwich posted:

Yes, just go into Settings > Notifications and add SBSettings to the "In Notification Center" list.

In the Quick Reply settings, for Alert Style: "Use Apple Settings" and for In Notification Center: "Open Quick Reply", then further down under Lock Screen: "Auto Show Quick Reply" turned off.

You'll get the text message and it'll look like default for iOS 5, but when you swipe to open, the Quick Reply box will show up instead. Also, if you pull the notification center down and tap the text message, that will open Quick Reply.

Side note: if you go into "more stuff" you can change the icon to the default messages icon and hide the messages app completely.

Beautiful Post. Thanks man. Last question... not that I care THAT much. Is there still any of that iMEssages stuff using Bite?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I just attempted to jailbreak my 4S on Windows. What's the word on the error that comes up when I attempt to start the VPN connection created by the Absinthe jailbreaker (not the one that appears on the device)? I get "A configuration error occurred" and then nothing.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If I'm reading your post right this is the issue I'm talking about. The error with the VPN is supposed to occur and then iOS should respring soon after. Problem is that it isn't happening and supposedly you can run it through with Absinthe to fix it but that didn't anything for me.

Alright if anyone else is having issues with Absinthe where they can get it on their device but cannot get the device to respring (looks like the software is restarting), I finally decided to just restore my iPad 2 from a backup and Absinthe worked in one shot. I had spent way too long trying to get Absinthe to "fix" the broken jailbreak when a simple restore would have gotten me going much earlier.

averox fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 22, 2012

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Feenix posted:

Beautiful Post. Thanks man. Last question... not that I care THAT much. Is there still any of that iMEssages stuff using Bite?

Yup, in the settings screen under Default Sending method is printed "preference is always iMessage."

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

toastR posted:

Yes, with iOS 5, SBSettings can now put toggles in your notification center.

Is there any tweak that will allow me to do keyword searches in Safari for quick access to Wikipedia, google images, etc? Something like this must exist, but I'm having a hell of a time finding it.

You can already search Wikipedia from Spotlight. You can also ask Siri "Search Wikipedia for..." and it'll do it for you. No jailbreak required.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

I just installed an iOS 5 version of Suave HD, and it works perfectly, all icons either included or automatically suavified, except for jailbreak apps. My Cydia, BiteSMS, etc, apps all are the stock icon, and they have a Cydia.png/Cydia@2x.png in the theme icons/ folder. Anyone happen to be familiar with the solution to this?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

toastR posted:

You mean like "g search_term" for google, "w search_term" for wikipedia, etc? That would be cool especially linked right into the safari address bar. But the closest to that I know of is the selectable search bar in Atomic Browser or iCab browser and maybe some of the other 3rd party browsers like Maven or Sleipnir.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Anyone seen an SBSettings bug where all the spacing between the toggles is off?

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Has anyone else had problems with official keyboards?

I just had a problem where I was in SBSettings, went to regular Settings, installed the Japanese Romaji keyboard... suddenly the screen went black and displayed the loading indicator as with a springboard reload... and it just kept spinning. Forced a reboot, nothing loads except the aforementioned black screen... every time.

I'm restoring the phone now and will try installing the keyboard before jailbreaking again.

e: VVVVV Yeah it took several tries for me to download package lists. Heavy traffic...

F4rt5 fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 22, 2012

leisure no capi
Sep 22, 2003

Anyone else having problems with Cydia atm? Its having trouble downloading packages/sources for me. Essentially all the big ones, modmyi, bigboss, etc are not compiling their lists. Tried manually adding Zodttd to no avail too.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

leisure no capi posted:

Anyone else having problems with Cydia atm? Its having trouble downloading packages/sources for me. Essentially all the big ones, modmyi, bigboss, etc are not compiling their lists. Tried manually adding Zodttd to no avail too.
It's getting hammered by all the new jailbreakers. But just "clear"ing the app, then re-installing has worked for me every time.

leisure no capi
Sep 22, 2003

randyest posted:

It's getting hammered by all the new jailbreakers. But just "clear"ing the app, then re-installing has worked for me every time.

Thats what I figured.

What do you mean "clearing" the app?

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
Installed weekillbackground and wow it has made a difference on my phone speed wise. I always left the backgrounding up to the os but drat this made a difference.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Nask26 posted:

Installed weekillbackground and wow it has made a difference on my phone speed wise. I always left the backgrounding up to the os but drat this made a difference.

So before multitasking all the jail breakers wanted apps to enable multitasking...and now that there's multitasking everyone wants to make it single tasking.

:psyduck:

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

UnbornApple posted:

So before multitasking all the jail breakers wanted apps to enable multitasking...and now that there's multitasking everyone wants to make it single tasking.

:psyduck:
I still want multitasking, it's just nice to be able to clear out the app list once or twice a day.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Whatever happened to that "slice" game where you move the razor sharp knives around to be able to press the red buttons? I just noticed it's been updated with has a bunch of new levels (not sure how recently.) But, strangely, it seems to be gone from the app store and appshopper. It's still on facebook though http://www.facebook.com/sliceHD?sk=wall

It's a pretty good game -- can anyone see it in the store?

edit: wrong thread, sorry.

randyest fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jan 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkRockTuba
Apr 29, 2007

Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?

Feenix posted:

You're welcome. BiteSMS will work just like iMessage as far as sending iMessages. You may have to reboot your phone to get it to work though, it's a minor bug in the current version, but it works perfectly once it starts working.

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

I just installed an iOS 5 version of Suave HD, and it works perfectly, all icons either included or automatically suavified, except for jailbreak apps. My Cydia, BiteSMS, etc, apps all are the stock icon, and they have a Cydia.png/Cydia@2x.png in the theme icons/ folder. Anyone happen to be familiar with the solution to this?

If there is just an icons folder with a ton of images, make sure Summerboard mode is turned ON. If it is turned on and they are still screwed up, then they aren't named correctly and you'll have to go through the applications to figure out what the app is calling itself. (ex: Twittelator Neue is the name of an app I have, but the app name in the folder is called simply Twittelator, so I needed Twittelator.png and Twittelator@2x.png)

PunkRockTuba fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 22, 2012

• Locked thread