Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Everyone loves the M stand, the other one is adjustable and swivels but it seems like a fixed one would be a better bet (moving etc all the time, when I don't want it to woudl get annoying)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomSellek
Jan 31, 2008
Arrogant, dumb, meat headed and stubborn. Please disregard and move on.
I just bought an 11" Air. Didn't realize how big the bezel was, does the 13" have one the same size?

Also when I scroll the text is blurry, is there a way to fix that? Not sure which mac thread these questions belong in really.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Same bezel size basically. No idea on the text issue - how fast are you scrolling?

TomSellek
Jan 31, 2008
Arrogant, dumb, meat headed and stubborn. Please disregard and move on.

JP Money posted:

Same bezel size basically. No idea on the text issue - how fast are you scrolling?

Just normal speed, is it the LCD maybe? Although I have a 7 year old Dell LCD monitor that doesn't have this problem

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005

dexter6 posted:

I've got a 15" MacBook Pro at work that I want to get a stand so that it sits higher up at eye level. Right now I've got it on 3 reams of paper. Anybody have any recommendations?

Right now, I've found these two (iLevel and mStand) and I'm leaning towards the iLevel since it appears to get the screen a little higher.

Any other suggestions I should consider?

Turn one of these bad boys upside-down and you're set. Extra cooling bonus points too!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Just a heads-up, from what I have heard, Micro Centers are going to start selling the current low-end 13" Macbook Pro(normally $1199) for $899 tomorrow. In-store only.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

TomSellek posted:

Just normal speed, is it the LCD maybe? Although I have a 7 year old Dell LCD monitor that doesn't have this problem

My 13" Air and my Acer 22" LCD of some sort have the same problem.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php

That exaggerates it but I just live with it.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I'm hanging onto my 11-inch MBA late 2010 since it seems that the Intel HD 3000 chips in the 2011 models aren't terribly efficient. The nVidia 320M in the 2010 MBA has 32 pipelines; the Intel HD 3000 has a higher clock speed but only 12 pipelines.

And since every object on the Mac OS X screen is offloaded to the GPU to render on screen as a 3d object, that can't be good for performance. The i5/i7 chips help quite a bit to offset this but bottom line the 320M is better for Macs than the HD 3000s if gaming / fast scrolling is a big factor. Too bad nVidia's barred from making any GPUs compatible with anything higher than Core 2 Duos.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 19, 2012

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

Just a heads-up, from what I have heard, Micro Centers are going to start selling the current low-end 13" Macbook Pro(normally $1199) for $899 tomorrow. In-store only.

Not quite. They have a 13" Macbook Pro for $999 now.

They also have a special buy on the 13" Macbook Air previous gen (C2D, 256GB) for $899 now. New, non-refub models.

Also, all the iPads are $50 off.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Those Airs only have the 1.86GHz chip but they have a 256GB SSD, pretty nice.

FCKGW posted:

They've had the current 13" MBP for $999 for...2 years? They just now started advertising them at $999 instead of $1199 "add to cart to see the price". I wondered what that email was about this morning.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Any recommendations for a monitor riser that has space underneath for a Mac mini?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

HolySwissCheese posted:

Any recommendations for a monitor riser that has space underneath for a Mac mini?
There's a few here: http://www.123macmini.com/accessories/guide/stands.html

I'd just go to a random store and look for something else that might work like a paper filing thing or other cheap stand, or buy some wood and build my own.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I have a macbook air (2011 version) and an iPhone 4. Is there a charger I can buy that lets me use the same white brick thing but then just plug in a magsafe/iphone connector/usb adaptor to charge a range of things?

I saw the universal travel pack from apple but that doesnt seem to list macbooks only ipads/iphones/ipods

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

http://twelvesouth.com/products/plugbug/

Pretty pricey

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

1997 posted:

Sounds good except that online purchases can be exchanged in store (unless it was custom to order).

That's what I thought, although maybe that's US only? The Genius Bar guy didn't mention anything about a custom build being an issue, just that the online and retail store methods are different. Either way, it was a tiny amount of extra effort, as I somehow remembered to keep all the packaging the Mini originally came in.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
If I purchase a battery for my MacBook and take out the wrapping, would I still be able to return it? I'm assuming yes but I feel like they shouldn't because I took out the wrapping. I bought one today but realized I could get it half off at Best Buy with a gift card my mom has (and doesn't need), so I'm going to return this and just use my mom's gift card.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can return it to Apple online or retail store within 14 days. Opened is fine.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

I just realized that my school's Apple store isn't the same as a regular Apple store. They wouldn't take it back because I opened it already despite me never using it. I'd really like to return it and save some money but I really doubt that Apple would take it. What can I do?

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 18, 2019

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

McFunkerson posted:

I don't think batteries have serial numbers.

They do (both on the casing and stored in the battery controller), but I don't recall it being on the retail box.

Worst case, it should sell pretty easily on Craigslist or eBay.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Sorry in advance for the lame "trip report"; it is born of happiness. I found myself in a pinch away from home for a few days needing to do some quick-turnaround design and development and finally picked up a 13" i5 Air at a nearby Best Buy ($60 less than online Apple Store; hard to do better for same day retail in BFE). I love this stupid computer. Even with Ivy Bridge coming (imminent?), I don't regret my purchase at all. 4GB plus the SSD on Lion makes me not want to bitch about the Intel graphics or the 384MB they're eating up. This fit in my smallest bag with clothes and I was able to VPN and use Remote Desktop to control several machines over GoGo Inflight (not recommended for latency). The lowest usable res a remote workstation will go is 1600x1000, which I found scaled quite well full screen on the built-in 1440x900. It's like a portable portal to every other Mac I use, only basically weightless. I did, however, notice the black plastic at the fat end being slightly creaky. I'll have to look at the screws, I guess?

Are there any third party routers / NAS enclosures that will allow Time Machine backups over the network with Lion? I heard one would have to hack the security lower in order to get it to work with, say, regular USB2 hosting routers. (edit: I'm asking this because I heard Time Capsule was unreliable / uses cheap drives.)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I know all the Netgear and Synology NASes do Time Machine natively, and the newer Netgear routers should let you do it over USB storage as well.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

FCKGW posted:

They also have a special buy on the 13" Macbook Air previous gen (C2D, 256GB) for $899 now. New, non-refub models.

Also, all the iPads are $50 off.

Sorry about this. There was an internal notification e-mail that went out that said $899. I checked it about a dozen times. Must have been in error. Really sorry :\

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Maybe we ought to make a MacBook Air Megathread. :v:

MacBook Air Megathread: It's so light!

MacBook Air Megathread: born of happiness

MacBook Air Megathread: Chopping vegetables was never so expensive

MacBook Air Megathread: Sandy Bridge rules, Intel HD drools

MacBook Air Megathread: Thunderbolt Rules! In the third quarter of 2012

MacBook Air Megathread: 8 GB and it'd be perfect

MacBook Air Megathread: my battery is made of Jell-O

MacBook Air Megathread: Everyone will read this OP, dammit

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Another Micro Center "deal": a four year old MacBook for $500. It's an X3100 GPU, pre-owned model, comes with 2 GB of RAM and can't take more than 6 GB of RAM, but at least it's Lion compatible.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

Another Micro Center "deal": a four year old MacBook for $500. It's an X3100 GPU, pre-owned model, comes with 2 GB of RAM and can't take more than 6 GB of RAM, but at least it's Lion compatible.

Who was it that was selling G3 iBooks for like $299 or $199 up until a year or so ago?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Who was it that was selling G3 iBooks for like $299 or $199 up until a year or so ago?
That sounds like Newegg.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

McFunkerson posted:

You could try buying the one from best buy and then returning it unopened to the campus Apple Store with your receipt there. Generally I'd say that's sketchy behavior, but since you actually bought one from the Campus Apple store I wouldn't consider it immoral. I don't think batteries have serial numbers.

Alternatively you can sell the one you get from best buy as an unopened battery and make back most of your money.

I assume they aren't going to take an open box back because they don't want to risk you putting your dead battery in the box and scamming them.

Molten Llama posted:

They do (both on the casing and stored in the battery controller), but I don't recall it being on the retail box.

Worst case, it should sell pretty easily on Craigslist or eBay.

I'll try the switch-aroo first because that does seem quicker and less of a hassle. Thanks guys.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Newegg was selling iBook G4s for a low as $190, they're listed as OUT OF STOCK in their current database.

Now they've graduated to selling GMA 950 MacBooks for $469-$489.

Edit: no wonder they can't play games, the GMA 950 graphics chip only has 4 pipelines and a miserable clock speed. The current Intel HD 3000s have 12 pipelines and a semi-adequate clock speed. Great work, Intel it only took you five years to triple the amount of pipelines. The general consensus is also that you have a long way to go to writing efficient drivers for your chips too.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 20, 2012

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Bob Morales posted:

I remember thinking a friend was crazy when he paid over $3,000 for his G3 Powerbook.
I thought I might have been crazy when I dropped a little over $2k for my first Mac instead of half as much for a technically (on paper) superior Dell, a 12" Al PBG4 with AppleCare, until it was delivered and I turned it on. Best computer purchase ever.

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

So, if I have the late 2011 Macbook Pro and I want to upgrade from 4gb RAM to 8gb, this is the item I want, right?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233215

The "About this Mac" lists my memory as "4 GB 1333 MHz DDR," but I just want to make sure before I do something silly.

Edit: I just read the OP like a good boy so ignore me I am an idiot.

Colonel Pancreas fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 21, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Colonel Pancreas posted:

So, if I have the late 2011 Macbook Pro and I want to upgrade from 4gb RAM to 8gb, this is the item I want, right?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233215

The "About this Mac" lists my memory as "4 GB 1333 MHz DDR," but I just want to make sure before I do something silly.

Edit: I just read the OP like a good boy so ignore me I am an idiot.

Save 4 bones and buy some cheaper stuff:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007609%20600006178%20600000399&IsNodeId=1&name=4GB

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Do you guys think $150 is a fair price for a mid-2007 Macbook with a Core Duo/4 GB RAM with a broken hard drive and optical drive? The battery and top case are essentially brand new after being replaced by Apple.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

illcendiary posted:

Do you guys think $150 is a fair price for a mid-2007 Macbook with a Core Duo/4 GB RAM with a broken hard drive and optical drive? The battery and top case are essentially brand new after being replaced by Apple.

It's pretty much par for the course that Apple laptops from that era have broken optical drives. I think 2007 laptops were all C2D so I would say yes, $150 is a pretty good deal.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

illcendiary posted:

A working one would be a good deal at $150, how's the battery? If you can get it going 'good as new' for the price of a hard drive it's a pretty good deal.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Went to the apple store today as my wife and I are looking for a new laptop for her to replace her old MacBook. Just wanted to see how the info I got checks out.

My wife is looking to do mostly web browsing and some word stuff, though she does use photoshop a bit for her pictures. We have an iMac that she mainly uses for photoshop, but would like to be able to work on her photos when she wants.

The lady at apple today said that you can't upgrade the ram on any of the MacBook airs and the air would be a bad choice for us, since the air is mainly good for portability (she's not traveling much anymore) and the processor is slower. Plus the air would be more expensive than the entry level pro for no reason for us at all. We were looking at the 13" air and pro in the store.

Does all this pretty much ring true? I thought there was no way to upgrade ram on the 11" air due to the ram being soldered to the motherboard, but the others were fair game...

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, you'll probably be able to get more for your trouble if you put a hard drive in there. Doesn't need to be big or anything. People flip their gently used hard drives all the time; check some classifieds or SA Mart and stick it in there. A computer that is already basically working will definitely command a better price, obviously. Lots of people will not really care that the optical drive is hosed.

Ganon
May 24, 2003

nwin posted:

Does all this pretty much ring true? I thought there was no way to upgrade ram on the 11" air due to the ram being soldered to the motherboard, but the others were fair game...

Yeah, you can't upgrade the RAM on either of the Airs. The 13" air does have a much better screen resolution than the pro, which has to help when using photoshop. The 15" would combine the same resolution with more power.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

nwin posted:

You can't upgrade ram at all in the Airs. I use my 13 air as my only machine, and I edit photos in lightroom & photoshop. Runs quite well, the worst portion is trying to perform a batch action script on like 20 raw photos, or exporting a poo poo ton. For single edits, it's pretty fine, the 2500k is a powerful enough processor.

e: If she wants an air, she can buy it and try it out for like 2 weeks. If she notices it's chugging on work she does, she can return and buy a MBP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I dunno...I'm thinking with how much she'll really mess with photoshop, that MBP on micro center for 999 looks pretty sweet. She's also saying she really wants the ability to watch DVDs and I know she wouldn't use a SuperDrive attachment on the air...