Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Esroc posted:

I actually find it fun to watch his cannon-bending use of The Force.

That would be useful against pirates!

Edit: Dammit, you fixed it while I was posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Trump posted:

I don't know if this was the case with Red Rails, but the prequels had extensive reshoots built into the schedule.

He clearly knows he loving sucks.

That's almost surprising since I'm sure there were stories about times Lucas refused to do reshoots and insisted he's just fix things in post or with CG.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Although, any plot arcs with a certain bounty hunter are pretty great.
Sure, if you like badly ripped-off western anti-hero cliches.

I suffered through the first two and a half seasons of TCW. I wanted to like it. I just couldn't force myself to. Of the 40-odd episodes I saw maybe three weren't an absolute ordeal to finish.

The Clone Wars sucks.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Seemlar posted:

That's almost surprising since I'm sure there were stories about times Lucas refused to do reshoots and insisted he's just fix things in post or with CG.
There's a bit in The Phantom Menace DVD doco where one actor feels his skills were cheapened by the fact Lucas was able to cut and paste his position in a scene. There's a deleted scene in AOTC where Obi-Wan was heading towards the landing pad that was completely altered in post to a discussion in corridors with an added Yoda

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I said this earlier, but I'll repeat it since someone's asking: The Clone Wars is basically just a slightly more violent than average kids' show. Not terribly deep or meaningful, but filled with lots of bright colours and action. I can watch the occasional episode when it's on television (except for the ones that are inexplicably focused on boring intergalactic politics i.e. just about any Padme-centric episode), but I definitely wouldn't go out of my way to watch it or buy it on DVD or Blu-Ray.

That said, it's better than the prequel trilogy.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Phylodox posted:

I said this earlier, but I'll repeat it since someone's asking: The Clone Wars is basically just a slightly more violent than average kids' show. Not terribly deep or meaningful, but filled with lots of bright colours and action. I can watch the occasional episode when it's on television (except for the ones that are inexplicably focused on boring intergalactic politics i.e. just about any Padme-centric episode), but I definitely wouldn't go out of my way to watch it or buy it on DVD or Blu-Ray.

That said, it's better than the prequel trilogy.

I watched the initial "movie" and left disappointed enough to swear off the series as a whole. I figured the show might have one, maybe two redeeming points during its lifetime and I'd just watch those when I heard about them.

That hasn't happened yet. The only thing even remotely interesting was the introduction of Savage Oppress. His backstory I could buy, I mean why not? Weirder things have happened in the EU. So I decided to wait for his story arc to complete before watching only to find out recently that it's leading into some kind of Darth Maul resurrection.
I also read that apparently Anakin falls to the Darkside at some point then gets convenient amnesia and forgets about it. Which has got to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

I will remain happily ignorant of any plot points laid out by the Clone Wars. However, the new Plagueis novel is amazing and I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would. I'm hoping Old Republic: Revan proves to be a good read as well.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 22, 2012

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Esroc posted:

I also read that apparently Anakin falls to the Darkside at some point then gets convenient amnesia and forgets about it. Which has got to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

That was a really, really weird series of episodes. Basically Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Annoying Teen Sidekick go to the planet that controls the Force. I was excited for those episodes at first because I thought it might explore some of the more mystical aspects of Star Wars, but nope, of course the mythology of the episodes were both so simplistic and self-contradicting that it really didn't explain anything at all and was just an excuse to get a bunch of guest voice actors and have Obi-Wan fight a giant gryphon.

The absolute weirdest thing about those episodes, though, is that somehow they got Liam Neeson to voice Qui-Gon's Force ghost. I still can't imagine how they possibly did that. The woman who played Anakin's mom in the movies also returns, and also the guy who did Starkiller and the woman who was Maris Brood in TFU. Also Bane and Revan were going to appear in one of those episodes but were cut out at the very last minute.

Esroc posted:

I'm hoping Old Republic: Revan proves to be a good read as well.

It isn't.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, those episodes were really disappointing because word before they aired was that they were supposed to explain the whole "prophecy" thing, which they didn't.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I liked the episode where they rescued the baby Hutt or Hutt-ling. So cuuute.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I liked the episode where they rescued the baby Hutt or Hutt-ling. So cuuute.
Did you buy the backpack too?

I have no idea what kind of kid would be overjoyed with an mutated albino seal in a backpack.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, those episodes were really disappointing because word before they aired was that they were supposed to explain the whole "prophecy" thing, which they didn't.

I've got bad news for you, that kinda was it. That was the 'bringing balance to the Force' thing. And that's how George wanted it all along.

The good news is, every single episode of the tv series is better than the four the squeezed together to make the movie. The animation quality picks up immediately and keeps getting better. Plot and character also improve. But just watch the Lair of Grievous episode on YouTube. If you see nothing else, go for that one.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

WebDog posted:

I have no idea what kind of kid would be overjoyed with an mutated albino seal in a backpack.

Well, we want to teach little girls to care for their own brood, amirite? :razz:

Seriously, though, they seem to be pushing that whole "Girls are responsible for babies" meme a lot:

I love how few fucks she seems to be giving. "Do I look like a good babysitter to you?"

I'm studying to be a children's librarian, and I hear that young reader Clone Wars books are pretty big now. Any of you have your own little Huttlets who are into these?

Also, I found this canonical image (possibly NSFW) while searching around for Ahsoka and Rotta pictures. It's from a comic called Slaves of the Republic in which Anakin and Ahsoka had to pose as a slaver and his captive in order to infiltrate the Zygerrian Empire. The comic was recently adapted into the TV episodes "Kidnapped," "Slaves of the Republic," and "Escape from Kadavo," and the slave outfit she wore on TV was much more modest, thank the Maker.

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Flagrant Abuse posted:

If you think the prequels were bad, you should never, ever look at the early drafts of ANH. If it had gone to theatres in that state, it could well have been the biggest bomb since Plan 9 from Outer Space. Marcia Lucas, George's now-ex wife, is the biggest reason we got what we did (that, and people would actually say "no" to him back then).

Among other things that she or others convinced him to leave on the cutting room floor:
• Chewbacca (maybe Han? I know it was one or the other, but I'm about 60% sure it was Chewie) looked like this.
• Almost all of the main characters were originally planned to be midgets.

I know this post was from over a week ago, but I would watch the hell out of a Star Wars movie where you have Wookiees that look like hirsute Nosferatus with Fu Manchu mustaches. And also the midget thing.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

WebDog posted:

There's a bit in The Phantom Menace DVD doco where one actor feels his skills were cheapened by the fact Lucas was able to cut and paste his position in a scene. There's a deleted scene in AOTC where Obi-Wan was heading towards the landing pad that was completely altered in post to a discussion in corridors with an added Yoda

Those scenes and the dialogue are not the same, though. They're clearly different takes--likely one of 100, and Lucas just chose the one that could fit the CGI the best.

omg car crash
Jul 21, 2008

PRIDE after the fall. Champion, 2011. :dealwithit:
I had no idea Shadows Of The Empire was so terrible; I read it when I was rather young and thought it was "cool as hell". Growing up sucks!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

omg car crash posted:

I had no idea Shadows Of The Empire was so terrible; I read it when I was rather young and thought it was "cool as hell". Growing up sucks!

It really needed some trimming. Like the whole creepy rapist act the dumb lizard crime lord had for one.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
This may be the first Star Wars related media ever shown to the public.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gvqpFbRKtQ

Note how the space battles get more focus than the lightsabers, whereas today a Star Wars trailer has them prominently.

I wonder if Lucas cared more about the space battles, but the unexpected saber popularity changed the series' direction?

Looking at episode 4 alone, there's more fast-paced excitement and focus in the space battles. The famous opening shot, escaping from the Death Star, returning to the Death Star, etc. Other than the brief bar slice, there's only one real lightsaber fight and it's only a few minutes.

Then Empire whips them around for half the movie, from taking out gigantic walkers to cutting open creatures to a 1ong, long climactic battle.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
What's amazing is how it shows how much the music is a part of Star Wars. The movie that trailer was advertising looks pretty boring. Add in the John Williams score and it becomes epic.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Armyman25 posted:

What's amazing is how it shows how much the music is a part of Star Wars. The movie that trailer was advertising looks pretty boring. Add in the John Williams score and it becomes epic.

Without John Williams, the Prequals would have sucked harder. His stuff is always excellent with Star Wars.

Who is going to do the music for this TV series I wonder?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

omg car crash posted:

It sucks? That sucks. I'm only familiar with it through the N64 game that kicked rear end, and I think one comic I bought specifically because Boba Fett was in it (I think he dukes it out with Xizor or something).

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

SpaceMost posted:

It sucks? That sucks. I'm only familiar with it through the N64 game that kicked rear end, and I think one comic I bought specifically because Boba Fett was in it (I think he dukes it out with Xizor or something).

The game is okay, the comic had a pretty good art style though it mainly was a Boba Fett hand job (he is just so perfect~ is the last thing I think is said at the last page) and the book really needed editing as some things were really not expanded on (Rendar who is Han 2.0) and Rapey Xizor.

It was done way better than the Prequals though. Thats because it had other authors/artists on board instead of just George.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I remember that whole "Star Wars can do no wrong" period that led up to the release of The Phantom Menace. Back when Kevin Smith was an innovative, sought-after young film-maker who made Star Wars references cool. It's kind of sad, in retrospect. It feels like the world has become a more cynical, disillusioned place since the prequels came out. Now Star Wars sucks and Kevin Smith is a washed-up old hack who spends all of his time griping on his podcast about how people don't "get" his movies.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Esroc posted:

I'm hoping Old Republic: Revan proves to be a good read as well.

When will you people learn.

omg car crash
Jul 21, 2008

PRIDE after the fall. Champion, 2011. :dealwithit:

Van Dis posted:

When will you people learn.

I just can't believe they took the idea about Revan more less not actually falling to the dark side but instead waged a war to create a galaxy strong to defeat to Sith and replaced it with him getting MIND CONTROLLED by Darth Emperor of the Imperium of Mankind. Such a terrible cop-out.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

McGann posted:

90% of that was painfully nerdy, but the other 10% was either so cute or so clever it made me watch the whole thing.

Toddler Luke and Toddler Han and Dog Chewie :3:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

omg car crash posted:

I just can't believe they took the idea about Revan more less not actually falling to the dark side but instead waged a war to create a galaxy strong to defeat to Sith and replaced it with him getting MIND CONTROLLED by Darth Emperor of the Imperium of Mankind. Such a terrible cop-out.

What? Obsidian made a game with a more compelling story than us? Well gently caress that poo poo, we get the last laugh!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SeanBeansShako posted:

The game is okay, the comic had a pretty good art style though it mainly was a Boba Fett hand job (he is just so perfect~ is the last thing I think is said at the last page) and the book really needed editing as some things were really not expanded on (Rendar who is Han 2.0) and Rapey Xizor.

It was done way better than the Prequals though. Thats because it had other authors/artists on board instead of just George.

Shadows of the Empire was such an odd duck. I remember all the talk of it being a multimedia event.

I mean, they paid Joel McNeely to compose and record a soundtrack for the novel itself. :psyduck:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Timby posted:

Shadows of the Empire was such an odd duck. I remember all the talk of it being a multimedia event.

I mean, they paid Joel McNeely to compose and record a soundtrack for the novel itself. :psyduck:

Comics, PC Game, N64 Game, several action figuires, Book and the CD does make it sound pretty multi media to be fair. If SOTE had failed we wouldn't have gotten the prequals though.

An odd duck indeed.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

To be fair, 2002-2005 was a real-time Clone Wars multimedia event, too. The war is literally meant to span 3 years, so all the novels and comics that came out from 2002-2005 were actually meant to be occurring in "real time" along their release schedule. There was the Clone Wars cartoon, the novels, comics, video games, action figures, it was of comparable scale to the SotE one in the 90s.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Since Lucas has decided to distance himself from Star Wars, do you guys think the franchise will get better, or worse as times goes on? As much as I hated a lot of the crap he's pulled, some of his "rules" for the universe did keep things in check. For instance, he's been adamant about Yoda staying a mysterious character with little backstory. Which I feel is what makes Yoda so great. Without him to say no to the myriad of Yoda novels that have been put forth, I'm afraid now we're gonna get one that's going to flesh out his life story and completely ruin the mystery of the character.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Esroc posted:

Since Lucas has decided to distance himself from Star Wars, do you guys think the franchise will get better, or worse as times goes on? As much as I hated a lot of the crap he's pulled, some of his "rules" for the universe did keep things in check. For instance, he's been adamant about Yoda staying a mysterious character with little backstory. Which I feel is what makes Yoda so great. Without him to say no to the myriad of Yoda novels that have been put forth, I'm afraid now we're gonna get one that's going to flesh out his life story and completely ruin the mystery of the character.

There's been plenty of stuff written about Yoda, the only real mysterious part is what planet he came from.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

SpaceMost posted:

About a 1/3 of the book is the new Poochie villain that's more badass than Vader trying to gently caress Leia.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Xenomrph posted:

The actor who plays Marek is cool, and he did pretty well in TFU, but goddamn did it seem like he phoned it in for TFU2.

Was there any aspect of TFU2 that wasn't phoned in? The script, the gameplay, the fact that there were only like 4 locations, etc.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

There's been plenty of stuff written about Yoda, the only real mysterious part is what planet he came from.

The only writings I'm aware of that actually go into his past are the Dark Rendezvous novel and a few snippets about his discovery by his Jedi Master. Neither of which really go into any depth. Plus I recall him discussing his own brush with the dark side in some bit of media. I think it's fun to consider that he may have fallen to the dark side at some point and been redeemed but the mystery behind that point in his life is probably more exciting than anything anyone could actually write about it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Esroc posted:

Lucas isn't really distancing himself from Star Wars. He's just once more getting the chance to bitch about fans and say that he's not making any more movies, which is the same line he's been having for years.

In fact, given his involvement over the past few years with the Clone Wars show, TFU games, and even a few of the novels and comics, Lucas is far more broadly involved in Star Wars products now than he was 5-10 years ago, when his influence was basically limited to the movies.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

Lucas is far more broadly involved in Star Wars products now than he was 5-10 years ago, when his influence was basically limited to the movies
There's an amusing bit on the BluRay where Lucas reads off a sheet of legal paper the concept of the force to a bunch of bored looking Clone Wars writers who are trying their best to not fall asleep in front of Lucas.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Can someone explain to me the, timeline I guess, of the creation of the Clone Army? I've always been a bit confused on that matter. I know Palpatine orchestrated the creation of the army so that he would have one to command once he rose to power but I've been unable to sort out the exact sequence of events. I know he somehow used Dooku and Sifo Dyas to do it, but how did he convince Sifo Dyas to go along with it without the Jedi Order finding out? Why did the Jedi not even know about it until the Clones strolled up on Coruscants doorstep? And why the hell did they just shrug and go "Welp, okay!" and use the Army with no real questioning of why it was created in the first place?

My brain hurts trying to sort out that part of the lore.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
See, I think that he's being a manipulative spouse to the fandom. "If you leave me," he's saying, watching our reactions, "I'll take the kids Star Wars." He wants us to literally beg him for more, at which point he'll "relent" and give us more crap.

Lucas_and_his_fans.wmv

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Pththya-lyi posted:

See, I think that he's being a manipulative spouse to the fandom. "If you leave me," he's saying, watching our reactions, "I'll take the kids Star Wars." He wants us to literally beg him for more, at which point he'll "relent" and give us more crap.

Lucas_and_his_fans.wmv

"OK, you can have some more, but this time I will FINALLY get to do one my way."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Esroc posted:

Can someone explain to me the, timeline I guess, of the creation of the Clone Army? I've always been a bit confused on that matter. I know Palpatine orchestrated the creation of the army so that he would have one to command once he rose to power but I've been unable to sort out the exact sequence of events. I know he somehow used Dooku and Sifo Dyas to do it, but how did he convince Sifo Dyas to go along with it without the Jedi Order finding out?

Edit: Nothing to see here, I'm stupid.

quote:

Why did the Jedi not even know about it until the Clones strolled up on Coruscants doorstep?

The Jedi's use of the Force had been compromised. They mention telling the Senate about it.

quote:

And why the hell did they just shrug and go "Welp, okay!" and use the Army with no real questioning of why it was created in the first place?

Bad writing. I've come up with my own explanation why, but I'm sure everyone here can too.

What I've always thought was ridiculous was the quantity of clones. 10 million? Are you making GBS threads me? That wouldn't be enough soldiers to take one planet, never mind fight on thousands of them. Come on George, would it have killed you to add a few zeros and make it plausible?

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 23, 2012