Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I need to make a pie for a competition, and I need a few ideas. I want to use something like pork shoulder slow cooked so I can shred it, but I'm not sure what else to put with it. Leek and apple cider and chestnuts are ideas that have been thrown around, but I can't decide what to do to make it coherent.

Make cassoulet into a pot pie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

1) Can be below 100C, 2) is always 100C.

I don't want to sperg out over this too much and if you know of applications where I am absolutely wrong then I'd welcome the knowledge.

Although steam can be higher than the temperature of the boiling water, and the condensation from the steam can be temporarily lower than the temperature of the boiling water, in a small double boiler application the temperature will vary by only a very small amount (I would think, I can't cite anything) and will probably be in an equilibrium of ~100c.

My point is, it really doesn't matter too much. I could be wrong though, I'm basing this solely on my understanding of water and steam.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Make cassoulet into a pot pie.

Pretty sure that if you tried do that and preserved it for any amount of time it would make some phenomenally mushy beans.

I like the idea though, if you omit the beans you could make a pretty incredible savoury pie.

Demon Lord
Jun 8, 2003
ex nihil, ex omni, ad infinitum

Demon Lord posted:

Two newbie questions I couldn't find the answers to...

I have a double boiler (bain-marie) and I'm trying to make custard for the first time. I can't, however, figure out how much water to put in the bottom pan. I have three conflicting hypothesis:
- Put enough water to touch the bottom of the top pan (heat transfer via liquid water);
- Put the least amount of water possible so it boils ASAP (heat transfer via vapour);
- Fill half of the pan so it takes time to boil

Also, same reciepe but unrelated, our parchment paper says to moisten it when used in an oven. How moist is moist enough? Should I dip the paper in water, or is spraying a mist of water enough?

Thanks!

I went with option 3 as I didn't want the boiling water to spill out of the bottom pan and it turned out perfect for my custard. I suppose, as Tots said, that it doesn't really matter.

ThriceBakedPotato
Oct 25, 2010

by T. Butt

Anjow posted:

What do Chinese century eggs taste like?

Farts after a long night of drinking and wasted omelets. Savory, salty farts.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

in a good way, if you can believe it.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Tots posted:

I don't want to sperg out over this too much and if you know of applications where I am absolutely wrong then I'd welcome the knowledge.

Although steam can be higher than the temperature of the boiling water, and the condensation from the steam can be temporarily lower than the temperature of the boiling water, in a small double boiler application the temperature will vary by only a very small amount (I would think, I can't cite anything) and will probably be in an equilibrium of ~100c.

My point is, it really doesn't matter too much. I could be wrong though, I'm basing this solely on my understanding of water and steam.

82C is all that is required to make, say, creme anglaise. There's no need to do it at a substantially higher temperature.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
What else can I make with pulled pork, other than sandwhiches? (ie, to use up leftovers)

Enentol posted:

Please let me know post-tea how you liked it. I'm a big fan of vanilla in teas, and to me, Galliano just seems like the best equipped booze for the job.

Will do. Could be a while though - I have no other use for Galliano and its damned expensive up here in Ontario.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Cyril Sneer posted:

What else can I make with pulled pork, other than sandwhiches? (ie, to use up leftovers)

pizza, omelette, eat in lettuce cups with slaw, in crepes, make weird but probably tasty nachos, if you're guy fieri make sushi

Josie
Apr 26, 2007

With tales of brave Ulysses; how his naked ears were tortured; By the sirens sweetly singing.

Cyril Sneer posted:

Will do. Could be a while though - I have no other use for Galliano and its damned expensive up here in Ontario.

I used mine in some noodle soup.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

It'll freeze well if there's a fair bit of sauce. Just throw it in a ziploc-type bag and squeeze out all the air.

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
What vegetable is this, exactly, and how do I cook it? I only bought it because it looks cool, would like to eat it.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Be Depressive posted:

What vegetable is this, exactly, and how do I cook it? I only bought it because it looks cool, would like to eat it.

Romanesco. It's like a cauliflower.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Though from the last picture, it may as well be from the mind of HP Lovecraft.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

Cyril Sneer posted:

:canada: I feel your pain fellow LCBO goon. However, Galliano also makes a mean combo with Screwdrivers and most other boozy drinks. Essentially, it turns the old vodka and orange juice combo into a god damned CREAMSICLE. If you've ever seen a Harvey Wallbanger on a cocktail menu, that's what it is. Furthermore, any drink that is served "off the wall" usually has a layer of Galliano poured over the top.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

1) Can be below 100C, 2) is always 100C.

Kinda dissapointed - expected roman numerals in cursive from you!

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
Okay, I'm apparently bad at this straining yogurt thing. I figured the cleanest way to do it would be to scoop all the yogurt out into a mason jar, and just put some cheese cloth in place of the lid. Screwed it in place and I set it upside down in a macaroni strainer so it can freely drain into the plastic bowl I set the strainer in.

Nothing seems to be happening. I tried using only two layers of cheesecloth instead of 4. Still nothing. I know it's not instant, but I expected at least a little bit of drainage off the bat. Am I doing something wrong? Or do I just need to be more patient and let this happen overnight?

Maybe it's too confined in the mason jar to strain correctly?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Dude... airflow??

I think you effectively corked your jar with yoghurt, the air won't penetrate back through the mass (is my expectation) - also - you don't need more than one layer of cloth.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

So my family got me a cast iron pan, with the outside enameled and inside not. Is there anything I should know about seasoning it?

Also, I have a very large pork tenderloin, much too large to fit in my slow cooker. Is there anything wrong with splitting it lengthwise?

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

Happy Hat posted:

Dude... airflow??

I think you effectively corked your jar with yoghurt, the air won't penetrate back through the mass (is my expectation) - also - you don't need more than one layer of cloth.

Well drat. Guess I'll just line the strainer with cheese cloth and dump it in.

The Man From Melmac fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 22, 2012

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Benjamin Black posted:

Well drat. Guess I'll just line the strainer with cheese cloth and dump it in.

It will still run drat slow (it usually does for me), stir it, scraping the cloth, and it will run faster.

Mofette
Jan 9, 2004

Hey you! It's the sound, in your head goes round and round

I have a spice rack I got last Christmas, and I haven't got the right stickers to always label it, so I've got one jar that I can't identify.

It looks like and smells like ground Cloves, but I have that in another jar and the texture is finer, the colour is richer and the smell is sweeter than the cloves.

Any ideas? I really don't think I'd have bought two!

Bellabel
Jan 5, 2010

Dead finks don't talk too well; they've got a shaky sense of diction

Mofette posted:

I have a spice rack I got last Christmas, and I haven't got the right stickers to always label it, so I've got one jar that I can't identify.

It looks like and smells like ground Cloves, but I have that in another jar and the texture is finer, the colour is richer and the smell is sweeter than the cloves.

Any ideas? I really don't think I'd have bought two!
I guess it could be allspice?

Mofette
Jan 9, 2004

Hey you! It's the sound, in your head goes round and round

Bellabel posted:

I guess it could be allspice?

I guessed that by googling, but I don't recall any recipe calling for that before :(

Thought it was cinnamon, then found there is a sticker for that, and it's been used so it's not cinnamon.

Mofette fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 22, 2012

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I bought a pile of burro bananas today at the local ethnic grocery. I've been meaning to try smoked plantains for a while, but the yellow ones looked pretty crappy. From searching online I see that burro bananas are more like a cavendish than a plantain, will they still do well in the smoker?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
I purchased an oven mitt with a recipe for "Irish Stew" at the Dublin airport. Followed the recipe and everything came out alright, now I'm using it as a basis for beef stew. I is a bit watery though and I would like to know if it's still stew if I don't use any broth or flour?

(click for big)

Meeper
Jan 1, 2007
I'm grilling marinated kangaroo for Australia Day this Thursday. My marinade is a fairly standard soy/sugar/oil/lime juice affair, and I'm just wondering if I'm going to have any negative effect from marinating for about 20 hours rather than my standard hour, keeping in mind that the marinade has a quarter cup of lime juice in it and I'd rather not make kangaroo ceviche?

Meeper fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 23, 2012

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
Um, so I bought some live oysters in their shell tonight...

I probably should not have since I have no idea what to do with them.

Do I need to wash these oysters?

Can I just open these things up and eat the live oyster? Do I need to wash the oyster after I open the shell? Is there any more to it than eating the oyster after I open the shell?

I mean I have had uncooked oysters before at restaurants but always on the half shell and never fully shelled.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

Huskalator posted:

Can I just open these things up and eat the live oyster? Do I need to wash the oyster after I open the shell? Is there any more to it than eating the oyster after I open the shell?

I mean I have had uncooked oysters before at restaurants but always on the half shell and never fully shelled.

Scrub the hell out of the outside until you're sure that they're clean.

Shuck them, serve them, eat them.

Delicious.

Only difference between a closed oyster and one served on the half shell is that it's been opened and shucked.

Also, you'll know right away if the oyster is dead or not once you open them. Generally, dead oysters are already pretty decayed. Also, if one is vastly discoloured or smells really bad, throw it out. Chances are also that any oyster that opens ridiculously easy is not in the best of health.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Follow up on a question I posed a few pages ago. To recap:

lifts cats over head posted:

Ingredient surplus question. I happen to have a bunch of really good cinnamon bread. Thanks to my girlfriend working at the bakery it's from I will probably continue to have a bunch on hand. I've already made cinnamon french toast with it a few times but I'm trying to come up with alternative uses. Anyone have any creative suggestions? I generally prefer savory over sweet and would love to know any savory dishes it could be used for as well, but all are welcome. Thanks!

So what I decided to do was make stuffed pork chops. I made a stuffing with the cinnamon bread, grilled apples, and grilled onion. It turned out pretty good however it could use some sort of sauce. This is an area where I really don't have much of a clue.

Any suggestions for a sauce to make? I was thinking something using teriyaki and honey, but I have no idea if that would work well or not.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

lifts cats over head posted:

Follow up on a question I posed a few pages ago. To recap:

So what I decided to do was make stuffed pork chops. I made a stuffing with the cinnamon bread, grilled apples, and grilled onion. It turned out pretty good however it could use some sort of sauce. This is an area where I really don't have much of a clue.

Any suggestions for a sauce to make? I was thinking something using teriyaki and honey, but I have no idea if that would work well or not.

Brown sauce with honey and garlic?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Armyman25 posted:

I purchased an oven mitt with a recipe for "Irish Stew" at the Dublin airport. Followed the recipe and everything came out alright, now I'm using it as a basis for beef stew. I is a bit watery though and I would like to know if it's still stew if I don't use any broth or flour?

(click for big)

I mean, it's certainly something. You could add flour to give it a more stew-like consistency, or you could just reduce it down a bit and let the potatoes starch it up. Is it tasty at least?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

The burro bananas turned out flavorful but very dry, even though I smoked them for only a short time with the skins still on I think I'll mash them and add something to increase the moisture, maybe make kind of a banana pudding.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Kenning posted:

I mean, it's certainly something. You could add flour to give it a more stew-like consistency, or you could just reduce it down a bit and let the potatoes starch it up. Is it tasty at least?

It's very tasty. I think next time I make it I'm going to use less water though.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

You could use less water, or you could just simmer it for a bit longer to make it less watery and concentrate the flavors. It depends how your texture's working out though – you might not want to make it softer with a longer cooking time.

Also next time try using some more flavorful liquids in addition to water. Wine, beer, and stock never hurt anyone. Also I don't know about you, but my stews always improve with a bit of lemon juice or vinegar and cayenne pepper.

Emmjay
Aug 3, 2009

if you don't get the job/promotion/salary increase you want, getting your parents to ring me and complain will absolutely change the outcome

Meeper posted:

I'm grilling marinated kangaroo for Australia Day this Thursday. My marinade is a fairly standard soy/sugar/oil/lime juice affair, and I'm just wondering if I'm going to have any negative effect from marinating for about 20 hours rather than my standard hour, keeping in mind that the marinade has a quarter cup of lime juice in it and I'd rather not make kangaroo ceviche?

I've only cooked kangaroo a couple of times so this is just guess work but I would leave the lime out of the marinade. My logic is that kangaroo is tough and awful if you cook it even slightly too much and lime might tip it over the edge. You can always add the lime to the marinade right before you grill it.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Kenning posted:

You could use less water, or you could just simmer it for a bit longer to make it less watery and concentrate the flavors. It depends how your texture's working out though – you might not want to make it softer with a longer cooking time.

Also next time try using some more flavorful liquids in addition to water. Wine, beer, and stock never hurt anyone. Also I don't know about you, but my stews always improve with a bit of lemon juice or vinegar and cayenne pepper.

Yeah, not to put too fine a point on it, but a recipe for Irish food found on an oven mitt can definitely me improved. Most of the fun in cooking is modifying the hell out of things to fit your tastes/be a mad scientist. Use it as a baseline and go wild.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Emmjay posted:

I've only cooked kangaroo a couple of times so this is just guess work but I would leave the lime out of the marinade. My logic is that kangaroo is tough and awful if you cook it even slightly too much and lime might tip it over the edge. You can always add the lime to the marinade right before you grill it.

Unless he has chopped the kangaroo up there is little danger of the lime juice really cooking the meat. I would halve the lime juice though, 20 hours means it can penetrate the outer edges of the meat and make it mushy.

edit: I am assuming the kangaroo is of a thicker cut.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Huskalator posted:

Hold the oyster such that the flat side is uprght. Stick an oyster knife in the hinge with your right hand with your left, protected by towel, firmly hold the oyster in place. Wedge the tip in the hinge and twist down and away to move the tip up and toward you. Wipe the tip clean of she'll fragments then slide it across the bottom of the shell separating the muscle from the shell. Serve with the lightest dab of horseradish and a squeeze of lemon or mignonette sauce. Technically they die the moment you force the shell open, so rest assured they're dead when you eat them. As mentioned if they smell off or are dry or not normal looking, toss em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

Hold the oyster such that the flat side is uprght. Stick an oyster knife in the hinge with your right hand with your left, protected by towel, firmly hold the oyster in place. Wedge the tip in the hinge and twist down and away to move the tip up and toward you. Wipe the tip clean of she'll fragments then slide it across the bottom of the shell separating the muscle from the shell. Serve with the lightest dab of horseradish and a squeeze of lemon or mignonette sauce. Technically they die the moment you force the shell open, so rest assured they're dead when you eat them. As mentioned if they smell off or are dry or not normal looking, toss em.

Over/under on how many times a guy shucking oysters for the first time stabs the gently caress out of himself/has shell flake like crazy.