Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Stormageddon posted:

I always wondered how Daria would/did turn out given the sheer amount of.alternative pop music in it.

On the Daria boxset I have nearly all the music has been replaced with stock stuff, which to be honest does make it not feel the same as when I watched it when it first aired. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

On the Daria boxset I have nearly all the music has been replaced with stock stuff.

Welp. Guess that's off the list. Rewatch of it recently got me looking into a lot of music I missed the first time around. Not to mention the nostalgia attached to it.

So does Todd Margaret talk belong in this thread anymore since it's technically not UK TV? Does it need a thread of it's own? Seems like the kinda show goons would take a shine to.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Stormageddon posted:

So does Todd Margaret talk belong in this thread anymore since it's technically not UK TV? Does it need a thread of it's own? Seems like the kinda show goons would take a shine to.

Its not showing here yet (as far as I know) so probably not.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Stormageddon posted:

Welp. Guess that's off the list. Rewatch of it recently got me looking into a lot of music I missed the first time around. Not to mention the nostalgia attached to it.

It's as much British TV as Episodes or Frozen Planet, and I doubt enough people are watching it to give it its own thread.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Hoops posted:

I was under the impression that the money was the issue, though? I thought it wasn't like Bob Dylan or whoever says "yeah you can put it on the show but I won't allow it on the DVD". The ability for the audience to watch it over and over again increases the rights fee considerably. When they say a piece of music "couldn't get clearance", I always took that to mean "we couldn't afford to pay what they were asking", not "they said no unconditionally".
As if the artist ever gets any say in the matter!

I never meant to imply that record companies were saying no unconditonally. But if we have sensible statutory royalty rates per sale the whole asking too much argument disappears.

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008
About a month or so ago someone posted about a BBC doc on iplayer about the British army stationed in Germany during the 80's, I watched a bit of the first episode and it was a rather blunt account of what military life was like.

Does anybody remember what it was called I'd like to watch the rest of it?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

So this is a good bit of fun that makes me like Channel 4 just that little bit more;

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/odd/news/a361198/the-simpsons-gets-mispronounced-in-channel-4-intros-video.html

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Cerv posted:

As if the artist ever gets any say in the matter!

I never meant to imply that record companies were saying no unconditonally. But if we have sensible statutory royalty rates per sale the whole asking too much argument disappears.
Well, what's sensible? It's a pretty hard idea to quantify, how much usage of one song in a certain place is worth to a programme.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Harder than deciding how much playing a song's worth to a radio station?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Bioalchemist posted:

About a month or so ago someone posted about a BBC doc on iplayer about the British army stationed in Germany during the 80's, I watched a bit of the first episode and it was a rather blunt account of what military life was like.

Does anybody remember what it was called I'd like to watch the rest of it?

If it isn't here it is either on iPlayer in the factual section or been taken down :(

If it was the one that was based on the British Army On The Rhine any chance? I haven't gotten to watching it yet balls.

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

If it isn't here it is either on iPlayer in the factual section or been taken down :(

If it was the one that was based on the British Army On The Rhine any chance? I haven't gotten to watching it yet balls.
Thanks for this. It's this one I was thinking of --> http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00jmsz6/Inside_Out_Ticking_With_the_Crow_The_Officers_Mess/

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Dumb 'documentary' slam down: BBC's Is Oral Sex Safe versus Channel 4's My Daughter The Teenage Nudist.

Whoever wins quality TV loses.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Apart from the nature documentaries, the BBC's contribution to other documentaries, especially political ones, has been atrocious and quite appalling for a few years now.

They really only do three different types these days: ones involving the Afghanistan war that are hugely biased towards American and British forces, hour-long observational documentaries aired at 12 a.m. showing our brave lads adjusting to regular life after returning home from Afghanistan, and Robert Peston walking around the streets Westminster discussing the economy.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

Dumb 'documentary' slam down: BBC's Is Oral Sex Safe versus Channel 4's My Daughter The Teenage Nudist.

Whoever wins quality TV loses.

Well, maybe you're not the target audience. There are probably plenty of people worried about their teenage nudist daughters giving oral sex, and these shows might serve to help them feel better or prepare themselves for potential dangers :colbert:

Methodis
Mar 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Quanta posted:

Apart from the nature documentaries, the BBC's contribution to other documentaries, especially political ones, has been atrocious and quite appalling for a few years now.

They really only do three different types these days: ones involving the Afghanistan war that are hugely biased towards American and British forces, hour-long observational documentaries aired at 12 a.m. showing our brave lads adjusting to regular life after returning home from Afghanistan, and Robert Peston walking around the streets Westminster discussing the economy.

What about Louie Therouxs? They're still all fabulous, although Louie getting older makes them a little disheartening as he loses his charm.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So now they're advertising new Being Human, feels like that happened very quickly but then I suppose it was January last year Series 3 started. New vampire obviously and looks like it's going to be about George, Nina and the baby. So that vampire lord who swore to murder them all right there if they didn't do what he said in fact didn't do that. I think I'm going to find it hard to take him seriously as a threat in this series if he's the antagonist.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Quanta posted:

Try turning over to BBC4 and you'll probably find some documentary about the history of the banana or something.

edit: try http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b019m5yy/Jonathan_Meades_on_France_Fragments_of_an_Arbitrary_Encyclopaedia/

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Can't we just have Greg Dyke back? I get angry just looking at Mark Thompson's ugly mug. The BBC has certainly dumbed down and become more pro-government under this guy's reign.

DividedFrame
Apr 3, 2010
Lurker popping in with a quick question here.

I'm a big fan of Luther, Doctor Who, and Sherlock, and I'm looking for more recent (or upcoming!) British shows I might like. I also like Black Mirror, QI, Peep Show, and Wallander.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DividedFrame posted:

I'm a big fan of Luther, Doctor Who, and Sherlock, and I'm looking for more recent (or upcoming!) British shows I might like. I also like Black Mirror, QI, Peep Show, and Wallander.

You might like Misfits, Being Human, and Life on Mars

thebardyspoon posted:

So now they're advertising new Being Human, feels like that happened very quickly but then I suppose it was January last year Series 3 started. New vampire obviously and looks like it's going to be about George, Nina and the baby. So that vampire lord who swore to murder them all right there if they didn't do what he said in fact didn't do that. I think I'm going to find it hard to take him seriously as a threat in this series if he's the antagonist.

Nina is not going to be in the new series.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Quanta posted:

Can't we just have Greg Dyke back? I get angry just looking at Mark Thompson's ugly mug. The BBC has certainly dumbed down and become more pro-government under this guy's reign.

I'd go for Option 3: someone new entirely. Greg Dyke was a pompous tart.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The first episode of Skins S6 has been up on 4OD and I just watched it. Considering with this group of kids anyone who's name isn't Mini is bland and forgettable it was surprisingly good. Started slow but the last ten minutes were awesome. The tonal whiplash of the car crash was really well done. I think they kinda chickened out by not killing Gracie (or Liv, she sucks) but it was still good

minema
May 31, 2011
Anyone planning on watching Birdsong tonight? I loved the book but I'm convinced they'll mess it up somehow... :ohdear:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Al2001 posted:

His legacy is when his name is mentioned I think of a certain impressionists piss take of his voice and manner really.

We need somebody who cares and isn't a government lickspittle in the BBC though.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

On the Daria boxset I have nearly all the music has been replaced with stock stuff, which to be honest does make it not feel the same as when I watched it when it first aired. :(

The excellent (And underseen) 'Friday Night Lights' has most of the music replaced for the DVD, except it's entirely inconsistent. To be fair if you had never seen the broadcast versions of the episodes then it would probably go unnoticed. It does however spoil a moment in the Season 1 finale where 'Your Hand In Mine' by Explosions in the Sky is changed for something similar sounding. Since the score of the show is based on their music I can't decide if that makes it better or worse.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!

BizarroAzrael posted:

They could and did change the music, I can't remember the specifics but I have definitely seen the same bit with different music. Possibly the series 1 DVD, I think it was one of those bits with the old couple dreaming of "the dykes again", which originally included some POD track.

David Gray wouldn't let them use his 'Babylon' track to depict middle class pretentious cunts. Possibly because it was an accurate depiction of his fanbase. I remember hearing something about them not wanting to release S2/S3 due to the potentially dodgy Muslim brummie bombers sketches too, but that seems odd considering they released series like Snuff Box on dvd.

The only comedy series I can remember that never had a dvd/video release due to music licensing issues was Happy Families (the Ben Elton/French and Saunders thing). It wasn't that good anyway.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Al2001 posted:

What makes him a "pompous tart"? Unless standing up to Blairites, modernising parts of the BBC, being immensely popular with BBC staff and succeeding in establishing the BBC as more ethnically diverse makes him a "pompous tart".

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

DividedFrame posted:

The Shadow line on DVD. 7 episodes of great spy thriller, with stylish direction and a solid cast. It gets a bit silly, but given that the writer/director/executive producer Hugo Blick past work in subtle comedies, I just write it off as dry humour.
P.S. Hugo Blick is this guy, though that's besides the point.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
One of the Being Human seasons on DVD has something on the back about 'content edited for contractual reasons' - anyone know anything more specific?

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
They probably just changed some music because they don't have the rights or something.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Quanta posted:

What makes him a "pompous tart"? Unless standing up to Blairites, modernising parts of the BBC, being immensely popular with BBC staff and succeeding in establishing the BBC as more ethnically diverse makes him a "pompous tart".

Alright that was unfair. He just seemed like a bit of a smug git whenever he was interviewed, and, if I'm not mistaken, that was when the beeb were constantly showing trails about how great and unique they were which sort of fitted with the man.

ScipioAfro
Feb 21, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

The Shadow line on DVD. 7 episodes of great spy thriller, with stylish direction and a solid cast. It gets a bit silly, but given that the writer/director/executive producer Hugo Blick past work in subtle comedies, I just write it off as dry humour.
P.S. Hugo Blick is this guy, though that's besides the point.

Man, Shadow line was so loving good. Also in what is (hopefully) of interest to this thread, it was announced that Mark Cousins' The Story of Film: An Odyssey is getting a dvd release, which is great news for the 8 people that watched it when it was shown.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

So what are people thinking of Call The Midwife? I'm sort of glad that someone's found a way to make me understand why people pay attention to Miranda Hart.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Carpet posted:

One of the Being Human seasons on DVD has something on the back about 'content edited for contractual reasons' - anyone know anything more specific?

There was a bit near the end of the first season where Herrick sang a line or two of 'Bad Moon Rising' that got chopped out. It's out there on youtube, I think.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

ChuckDHead posted:

So what are people thinking of Call The Midwife? I'm sort of glad that someone's found a way to make me understand why people pay attention to Miranda Hart.

She is actually bearable in it, it's rather astonishing.

It is definitely a pre-watershed version of midwifery though, despite all the talk of enemas. All those babies that come out are amazingly clean and pretty, and there's no unexpected blood spatter from unexpected places.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Just learned by catching the back end of the extended repeat that Room 101 is back with a reworked format (may have been mentioned in an earlier thread)

Frank Skinner hosting, seems like a good choice, and has three panellists rather than being a one-on-one interview with a gimmick. First show has Danny Baker and Robert Webb, and I think it's going to be worth me finding another repeat or trying to get it over iPlayer.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Irisi posted:

She is actually bearable in it, it's rather astonishing.

It is definitely a pre-watershed version of midwifery though, despite all the talk of enemas. All those babies that come out are amazingly clean and pretty, and there's no unexpected blood spatter from unexpected places.

I've only watched the first one whilst a bit distracted and half of the second one (so if I'm being harsh)...

The lack of birth gore is not a problem at all, we've got One Born Every Minute for mind contraception.

It's just so wishy washy on the rest of it. Oh look the main character has learnt something, oh she's passed on the message that "it's you women who are the heroes". Yeah you're not patronising. Oh look now we've got Miranda the comedy midwife. Good fun is had by all. Probably. With bike rides. She probably came good, I didn't get that far.

I'm being deliberately very very harsh, but it did seem a bit like Lark Rise to Candleford with miscarriages in a town. Which isn't what it should be.

e: but good performances and I like the nuns.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
The cleanest slum in East London.

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007
Call The Midwife is very pleasant TV. There's no huge drama(a la dead foreign guys in Downton) and it's not all played for laughs, it's just a nice little "Oh, look at the nice girls delivering babies..." kinda show. I dig it. It also let me really see quite how good Miranda Hart is(I've never seen her TV show, but I've always warmed to her when she was on It Takes Two or some panel shows).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howards Bellend
Aug 25, 2007

I didn't like the new Room 101. Much prefered the old format where the guests were given time to actually have a discussion about what they chose and why with the presenter, and you maybe learnt some interesting things about them and heard some interesting opinions. Making it into a competition meant it was basically sound bite followed by Frank Skinner commenting followed by another sound bite, then on to the next person. I don't think it really worked as nothing of substance was really said about any of the topics.