Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
I read the first four books in a span of two months and I've rarely felt so ambivalent about a series.
On the one hand, I can appreciate the complexity of the world, the tremendous badasses some characters are, the way magic is treated and much more. On the other hand, the more visceral experience of reading these books could really frustrating. Especially when you come to a character you like, but then its just a really long chapter of reading about fatty capons, boiled leather and blue axes on fields. And then comes a Sansa chapter.

I mean, Sansa chapters are fine. She's young and naive, so it's only right that she perceives things different than others. But drat, it's just so unrewarding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

I agree with nuncle. It just does not sound right. The weird thing is, he uses these words or phrases over and over in one book, then its gone.

"Leal" came out of nowhere for me in book 3 or so, and it took me a second to figure out what he meant. I thought about going through the previous books to see if it was used there too, but never got around to it.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

I agree with nuncle. It just does not sound right. The weird thing is, he uses these words or phrases over and over in one book, then its gone.
I don't mind the archaic words or the phrases that get repeated, it's when they are used all of a sudden by characters who've never used them before in previous books that it bothers me.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Duncle seems more appropriate in this world.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

The weird thing is, he uses these words or phrases over and over in one book, then its gone.
You might even say he uses them much and more, and then little and less.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

The only word that threw me was 'leal' in ADWD. Hadn't heard that before, so I assumed that GRRM's editor had done a lovely find and replace with the word 'Loyal.'

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I did pick up the first book based on the recommendations here. Since each section is basically a different character's narrative, am I correct in that the story isn't exactly linear?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

actionjackson posted:

I did pick up the first book based on the recommendations here. Since each section is basically a different character's narrative, am I correct in that the story isn't exactly linear?

You are indeed. And it gets progressively less linear as things go along.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

actionjackson posted:

It's mostly linear within each book (if I remember correctly) but later in the series there's more overlap between the books themselves.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Conduit for Sale! posted:

e: how would castrating a cock improve its flavor?

Long story short the lack of testes leads to a lack of hormones, making the cock:
1. Less active, leading to it's muscles being less developped and more fat.
2. Taste different due to lack of said hormones (This is why hunters try to avoid shooting moose and deer during mating season, because the meat ends up strongly flavoured as a result. :science:

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Nine of Eight posted:

Long story short the lack of testes leads to a lack of hormones, making the cock:
1. Less active, leading to it's muscles being less developped and more fat.
2. Taste different due to lack of said hormones (This is why hunters try to avoid shooting moose and deer during mating season, because the meat ends up strongly flavoured as a result. :science:

I told all this to my boyfriend but he still refuses to cut off his balls. :(

BLAMMO

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
Did all the spoiler-y discussion threads get closed or do I just suck at searching? I just put down the last book and I desperately need to vent or at least read other people's venting.

And of course the most important question: Are his publishers hounding him for Winds of Winter or will this be another massive gap like the one before Dance with Dragons? Should I even be expecting anything other then more of the same cockteasing? I'm very afraid at this point that the series will just fizzle out into more and more sudden deaths and plot-lines to nowhere :mad:

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
Also gonna need a new low fantsy something ANYTHING to soften the sudden withdrawal :(

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Mr. Wynand posted:

Did all the spoiler-y discussion threads get closed or do I just suck at searching? I just put down the last book and I desperately need to vent or at least read other people's venting.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3422738

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Mr. Wynand posted:

Also gonna need a new low fantsy something ANYTHING to soften the sudden withdrawal :(

Check out the Malazan books. I think they're fairly similar (in tone at least) to ASoIaF, and personally I'm enjoying them more. The first book is pretty rough - it was written like 10 years before the 2nd one - but I still liked it a lot.

Lots of people love Joe Abercrombie's stuff and say it's similar to ASoIaF, but I haven't read any of his books yet so I dunno. I probably should at some point, but I really want to get through Malazan, and I also kinda want to start the Wheel of Time series.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

ahhh I was ctrl+Fing for "fire" and "thrones"...

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Check out the Malazan books. I think they're fairly similar (in tone at least) to ASoIaF, and personally I'm enjoying them more. The first book is pretty rough - it was written like 10 years before the 2nd one - but I still liked it a lot.

Lots of people love Joe Abercrombie's stuff and say it's similar to ASoIaF, but I haven't read any of his books yet so I dunno. I probably should at some point, but I really want to get through Malazan, and I also kinda want to start the Wheel of Time series.

Cool I'll give it a whirl.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Meltathon posted:

Because it's just really really annoying, nuncle adds nothing more than uncle would, only to make things more confusing. GRRM pulls it out of nowhere, uses it for random characters (sometimes Jaime uses, sometimes not), and then starts overusing it. I just feel like he's trying way too hard to write "ye olde" words that don't really belong.

I think GRRM uses it specifically for father's brother to differentiate it from mother's brother, which is where he uses the standard "uncle". Or the other way 'round.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I don't know that I'd consider Malazan low fantasy. I mean there's no shortage of gods meddling about in human business, people can ascend to godhood or at least become demigods at the drop of a hat, and there's way more magic than asoiaf. Just cause there aren't dragons or elves around doesn't make it low fantasy.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

I don't know that I'd consider Malazan low fantasy. I mean there's no shortage of gods meddling about in human business, people can ascend to godhood or at least become demigods at the drop of a hat, and there's way more magic than asoiaf. Just cause there aren't dragons or elves around doesn't make it low fantasy.

I was mostly just thinking of what I liked after I went looking for more fantasy like ASoIaF. I didn't really think of what's low or not.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

regulargonzalez posted:

I think GRRM uses it specifically for father's brother to differentiate it from mother's brother, which is where he uses the standard "uncle". Or the other way 'round.
That's a pretty significant discovery, if true. Anyone here crazy/bored enough to go back and analyze all instances of both words for verification?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Joramun posted:

That's a pretty significant discovery, if true. Anyone here crazy/bored enough to go back and analyze all instances of both words for verification?

The only time I recall Nuncle ever being used was by Tyrion (and maybe Jaime) talking about Kevan, so it could work

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The only time I recall Nuncle ever being used was by Tyrion (and maybe Jaime) talking about Kevan, so it could work

I'm pretty sure Asha Greyjoy tossed it around a lot, too.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Ballz posted:

I'm pretty sure Asha Greyjoy tossed it around a lot, too.

She definitely did, and it was in regards to all her uncles on her father's side as well.

I suppose looking for what Robb refers to Brynden Tully could prove/disprove. I really can't recall any other occurences of an uncle on the mother's side.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

lifts cats over head posted:

She definitely did, and it was in regards to all her uncles on her father's side as well.

I suppose looking for what Robb refers to Brynden Tully could prove/disprove. I really can't recall any other occurences of an uncle on the mother's side.

Benjen was always referred to as Uncle if I'm not mistaken.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Now you, too, can own the Seastone Chair for your home and feel like a real Greyjoy!

Skillo
Aug 3, 2003
Jesus is coming! Quick, everyone look busy!

Joramun posted:

chair

Unless you own firebox.com, I wouldn't hotlink that...

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
Maybe he's just a Bolton?

Murazor
Mar 9, 2011
Picked up the first 4 books yesterday. Already got through around 400 pages, and aside from Sansa's chapters, the story is amazing so far.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
I'm only about 50 pages into the second book, but I just don't understand all of the Sansa hate.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

supersteve posted:

I'm only about 50 pages into the second book, but I just don't understand all of the Sansa hate.

As a pretty girl, she is pretty much unrelatable to this crowd :)

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

wayfinder posted:

As a pretty girl, she is pretty much unrelatable to this crowd :)
IKR, personally I can only relate to Jamie's chapters, being a dashing sex god myself

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

supersteve posted:

Sansa owns.

I finished AFFC. Now just waiting for ADWD soft cover to arrive in 2 months.

zocio
Nov 3, 2011

Joramun posted:

IKR, personally I can only relate to Samwell's chapters, being a goony goon myself.

Fixed that for you.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.
Sansa's chapters were hard to get through because she's a 13(?) year old girl with standard 13 year old girl characteristics like being superficial, ignorant of the world, and selfish. As a reader, you have to get past her character portrayal to enjoy her chapters. Because where she is in the story and what she is witness to are very interesting. Unfortunatley, its filtered through her lovely personality.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets

Veg posted:

Sansa owns.

I finished AFFC. Now just waiting for ADWD soft cover to arrive in 2 months.

just break down and get the bulky hard-cover. It has sweet maps.

and yeah, Kung Fu Jesus summed up Sansa's arc pretty well... Watching her naivete slowly crumble is great. She's been fed these gilded stories of knights and fair maids her entire childhood and took them on face value.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
ADWD Soft Back wasn't until July I thought?

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

For what its worth Im in New Zealand and its April 12ish

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Japan is apparently getting it on March 29th, so I'm sure they'll be bumping down the US release date.

Also, the (SoS spoilers) chapter with Sansa building the snow castle is probably one of my favorite chapters in the entire series. The way it was written was so whimsical, and so sad. Really great stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

supersteve posted:

I think it's that, for more than a whole book and a half, it was essentially the same thing over and over again. She's stuck in the Red Keep, people keep doing things she doesn't understand because she's had this fairy-tale image of knights and kings, and then she just says "yes, My Lord" and that's that.

While I don't hate the Sansa chapters, I did find lots of them to be tedious and repetitive.

(Spoilers up till the end of Storm of Swords)
Even when things started to get interesting (Ser Donal wanting to whisk her away,) it took forever for it to finally go anywhere. Though, granted, it went pretty fast after that...escaping with Ser Donal, who gets killed, whisked away with Petyr, pretending to be a bastard girl, Petyr making out with her, then Petyr killing her aunt.

Joramun posted:

IKR, personally I can only relate to Jamie's chapters, being a dashing sex god myself

So your sister's a pretty good lay, then? :smug:

I just finished book 4, and so far I love almost everything...but I am curious about something regarding magic:
I sort of get that the arrival of real magic is tied into the red comet and/or the birth of the dragons...but how is it all the people who do the magic can do it? That is to say, before the start of Clash of Kings, there wasn't any magic for them to really practice, so how did they get good at it if it just started to re-appear? Unless I am misunderstanding the magic, and it really was there all along?

• Locked thread