Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Longinus00 posted:

Lots of small files is going to be hugely inefficient over a slow link.

It's a pretty fast link, I'm not sure why it was taking so long between actually transferring each file.

Tarsnap, on the other hand, is absolutely awesome so far. It cranked through my 450k files @ 24GB in only a couple hours. Subsequent incremental backup only takes a couple minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

fletcher posted:

It's a pretty fast link, I'm not sure why it was taking so long between actually transferring each file.

Tarsnap, on the other hand, is absolutely awesome so far. It cranked through my 450k files @ 24GB in only a couple hours. Subsequent incremental backup only takes a couple minutes.

When I say slow, I mean latency wise (and I'm talking compared to local disk transfer latency). Tarsnap streams data without having to worry about individual files and all that other baggage. Have you tried the tar over ssh command that was posted?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Longinus00 posted:

When I say slow, I mean latency wise (and I'm talking compared to local disk transfer latency). Tarsnap streams data without having to worry about individual files and all that other baggage. Have you tried the tar over ssh command that was posted?

The destination machine for backups in this case is S3, so I don't think I can tar over ssh to it. Maybe tar to my s3fs mount would have performed much better than rsync? I'm not sure. Tarsnap is such a breeze I don't think I need to experiment with s3fs any more.

chiyosdad
May 5, 2004

"I wish I were a bird!"
So, at this point, I've basically given up on trying to get the dedicated graphics card to work. But I'm wondering if there's any way to adjust the brightness? If I press the keys to adjust brightness (F2 and F3 for me), the little slider with the brightness icon comes up and the slider reacts accordingly, but the brightness doesn't change at all. Same for going into system settings->screen. I suspect it will be difficult to fix this as well, so hacks are okay too. Like is there an app that will just draw a 50% opacity black box over the entire screen? Once again I'm on ubuntu 11.10 with an hp envy.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

chiyosdad posted:

So, at this point, I've basically given up on trying to get the dedicated graphics card to work. But I'm wondering if there's any way to adjust the brightness? If I press the keys to adjust brightness (F2 and F3 for me), the little slider with the brightness icon comes up and the slider reacts accordingly, but the brightness doesn't change at all. Same for going into system settings->screen. I suspect it will be difficult to fix this as well, so hacks are okay too. Like is there an app that will just draw a 50% opacity black box over the entire screen? Once again I'm on ubuntu 11.10 with an hp envy.

I'd check Ubuntuforums.org

Farrok
May 29, 2006

I've recently been tasked with administrating a Lenovo X220 laptop with Ubuntu 10.10 installed on it. Updating from kernel 2.6.35-30 to 2.6.35-31 has caused the wireless card to stop working. It works fine when I boot into -30 but it can't even be found with lspci when I boot into -31. I tried compiling more recent drivers for it, but it still doesn't work (its listed as Realtek device 8176 (rev 1) with lspci | grep network in 2.6.35-30).

Anyone have any idea what could cause this or how to fix it?

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Farrok posted:

I've recently been tasked with administrating a Lenovo X220 laptop with Ubuntu 10.10 installed on it. Updating from kernel 2.6.35-30 to 2.6.35-31 has caused the wireless card to stop working. It works fine when I boot into -30 but it can't even be found with lspci when I boot into -31. I tried compiling more recent drivers for it, but it still doesn't work (its listed as Realtek device 8176 (rev 1) with lspci | grep network in 2.6.35-30).

Anyone have any idea what could cause this or how to fix it?

This may just be a typo in your post, but you should be typing:
lspci | grep Network
or better yet,
lspci | grep -i Network

Apart from that, when you say that you tried to compile more recent drivers, were you able to compile them successfully and the card just didn't work, or did the compilation failed?

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Arch moved pacman 4 out of testing and into core yesterday. I was stuck in dependency hell for a while until I uninstalled yaourt, namcap, yajl, package-query, and pyalpm.

If you missed the front page announcement here's a developer's blog post and the wiki page on setting up the gpg keys you'll need to get package signing up and running.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman-key
http://allanmcrae.com/2011/12/pacman-package-signing-4-arch-linux/

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

PotatoJudge posted:

Arch moved pacman 4 out of testing and into core yesterday. I was stuck in dependency hell for a while until I uninstalled yaourt, namcap, yajl, package-query, and pyalpm.

If you missed the front page announcement here's a developer's blog post and the wiki page on setting up the gpg keys you'll need to get package signing up and running.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman-key
http://allanmcrae.com/2011/12/pacman-package-signing-4-arch-linux/
For those who want to save some headache, do yaourt -G yaourt package-query first, then you can uninstall them, update pacman, then just run makepkg for package-query, install that with pacman -U and then do the same for yaourt. :)

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Zom Aur posted:

For those who want to save some headache, do yaourt -G yaourt package-query first, then you can uninstall them, update pacman, then just run makepkg for package-query, install that with pacman -U and then do the same for yaourt. :)

Nice! This was the first time pacman had barfed on me like this so I kind of freaked out and took a hammer to it until it cooperated.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Those of you using GNOME 3 and the Shell extensions. I found something I like more than the Window List extension (here). Now I'm looking for the extension that removes the obnoxiously redundant icon in the panel that shows you the active window:

I know it exist(ed) because I used to have it installed. Can anyone find it? I can't remember the exact name :confused:

serling
Aug 25, 2005

I'm running a Linux environment and have currently introduced a new Ubuntu 10.04 box into the system. It's connected to a NIS database on a RHEL server, and authenticates its users through Kerberos (Windows side). Both these services are up and running and work with the other machines in our server park.

However, when I try to log into our new box, some specific users are denied access. Kinit grants them a ticket when I supply their credentials in other contexts, but once I try to log them on the system, they're instantly thrown out. I can't seem to find a common link between them either, which is frustrating. It seems to stem from something locally on the box, even though I'm not using any host.allow/deny stuff.

Since most of the users actually work, I've been cautious about fiddling with pam.d and nsswitch. As far as I can see the error is not related to ssh either, as they experience the same problem regardless of what means they use to log into the machine. The logs I've been through return the same error: "Failed password", or some sort of "authentication failure".

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any quick suggestions as to where I can continue my troubleshooting? Any known bugs? It's worked out flawlessly on the RHEL servers I've introduced into the mix.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I've been having an issue at work that is really annoying.

I have a variety of Linux servers, a few ubuntu and the rest CentOS. When they renew their DHCP lease the dns entry is removed and vanishes, the only way to fix it is to bounce the network interface (ifdown/ifup).

Any idea what's going on here? The DNS/DHCP server are Windows Server 2003.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Mak0rz posted:

Those of you using GNOME 3 and the Shell extensions. I found something I like more than the Window List extension (here). Now I'm looking for the extension that removes the obnoxiously redundant icon in the panel that shows you the active window:

I know it exist(ed) because I used to have it installed. Can anyone find it? I can't remember the exact name :confused:

What version of gnome shell are you using? Only a very small number of the extensions on that site are compatible with the version I have, apparently. It would be nice if it told you want version you need.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Kaluza-Klein posted:

What version of gnome shell are you using? Only a very small number of the extensions on that site are compatible with the version I have, apparently. It would be nice if it told you want version you need.

Chances are that's happening because the website is still in Alpha and is therefore buggy as poo poo. Extensions install fine, but I often revisit there to find that many of them on the website require a version of GNOME newer than the newest version, even if they are extensions I already have installed and the versions of both it and GOME haven't changed :allears:

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Somebody recommend me a book. I'm supposed to be the "Linux guy" in our office at the moment, but my background is mainly programming on fairly barebones Linux systems. Our customers generally use higher-level distributions such as Ubuntu, so I keep getting asked more "IT" related questions about using Linux that I don't always know the answers to.

So I'm looking for a big fat book that I can just read from start to finish and come out with a better general knowledge of linux from a user's perspective. Does such a book exist?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Dicky B posted:

Somebody recommend me a book. I'm supposed to be the "Linux guy" in our office at the moment, but my background is mainly programming on fairly barebones Linux systems. Our customers generally use higher-level distributions such as Ubuntu, so I keep getting asked more "IT" related questions about using Linux that I don't always know the answers to.

So I'm looking for a big fat book that I can just read from start to finish and come out with a better general knowledge of linux from a user's perspective. Does such a book exist?

Beginner:

Advanced:

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Mak0rz posted:

Chances are that's happening because the website is still in Alpha and is therefore buggy as poo poo. Extensions install fine, but I often revisit there to find that many of them on the website require a version of GNOME newer than the newest version, even if they are extensions I already have installed and the versions of both it and GOME haven't changed :allears:

Gnome's System Monitor reports that I have Gnome 3.3.3. The Gnome Shell Integration plugin doesn't seem to have any version information reported in Chrome. I did an update last night and now not a single extension is available on that site :p. Silly gnome.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Advanced:

Looks perfect, many thanks!

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Bob Morales posted:

Beginner:

This looks like some kind of breakfast cereal.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

serling posted:

I'm running a Linux environment and have currently introduced a new Ubuntu 10.04 box into the system. It's connected to a NIS database on a RHEL server, and authenticates its users through Kerberos (Windows side). Both these services are up and running and work with the other machines in our server park.

However, when I try to log into our new box, some specific users are denied access. Kinit grants them a ticket when I supply their credentials in other contexts, but once I try to log them on the system, they're instantly thrown out. I can't seem to find a common link between them either, which is frustrating. It seems to stem from something locally on the box, even though I'm not using any host.allow/deny stuff.

It sounds familiar to me in that I have roughly the same issue: Samba, using AD for authentication, and some random selection of users are rejected for no obvious reasons. I haven't found any relevant log entries so far, but I also haven't looked too hard at it yet.

And of course, the only users with issues are actual other people, my admin and test accounts both work perfectly. Argh.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Computer viking posted:

It sounds familiar to me in that I have roughly the same issue: Samba, using AD for authentication, and some random selection of users are rejected for no obvious reasons. I haven't found any relevant log entries so far, but I also haven't looked too hard at it yet.

And of course, the only users with issues are actual other people, my admin and test accounts both work perfectly. Argh.

I saw that on a Solaris box I used to administer, it turned out that the winbind database was being corrupted on save, but that bug was IIRC only specific to big-endian 64-bit systems (e.g. SPARC) and was fixed in 3.4.4.

If you're using winbind, have you checked that your idmap configuration is working and can create a map for every user? There's a tool that can dump the winbind cache tdb file which may be useful.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I have very little linux experience and I'm running into a bit of a problem trying to install a program that comes in a tar.gz file. I am running Linux Mint 11 and the program is here:

https://www.emitapp.com/

It is a media server that will allow me to stream media to my kindle fire. I've tried googling instructions on how to manually install software outside of the package manager but I'm getting nowhere. Any tips?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Well, lets start with what you've already tried and where you're getting stuck.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
What's the best way to diagnose the source of random system freezes?

I recently upgraded to Mint 12, and I really like a lot of it so far but It's also given me a bunch of issues and I've formatted/installed several times no trying to solve various problems. A lot of my initial issues seem to be related to ATI drivers, possibly conflicting with Gnome but since uninstalling those as a temporary fix I have not had that problem.

I'm now left with one major headache however. My system completely freezes up on a regular basis. It only seems to happen when I am interacting with it, but outside of that I can find no common elements to the events. It can be 10s after logging in or 5 hours. Doing simple things such as using the terminal seems to be less likely to trigger it but does still happen. I suspect it might be related to a persistent system service (ie the GUI) or something as any random interaction, regardless of what is open, or in use. Even just moving the mouse has set it off (actually maybe it's mouse related, I don't recall triggering it with the kerboard and it's always clicking or moving that seems to freeze it). The system locks up and becomes completely unresponsive to any input. Including hotkeys. In the end I am forced to use the physical restart button and even that lags.

It's driving me nuts and as much as I have come to like it, making me consider either downgrading or trying something else. So before I give up over what is probably some trivial issue, does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about fixing, or at least working out the cause of it?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Shanakin posted:

It's driving me nuts and as much as I have come to like it, making me consider either downgrading or trying something else. So before I give up over what is probably some trivial issue, does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about fixing, or at least working out the cause of it?

The easiset thing might be to just try another distro.

Go through the logs in /var/log, starting with /var/log/messages. Can you ssh into the system while it has crashed (ie, is just the desktop locked up)?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Bob Morales posted:

The easiset thing might be to just try another distro.

Go through the logs in /var/log, starting with /var/log/messages. Can you ssh into the system while it has crashed (ie, is just the desktop locked up)?

I'll be honest, I've never used SSH because I've never needed to (it's just a personal desktop). I guess I could try it from my phone. Anything special I need to set up? I'd be surprised if I could though, the half second audio loop doesn't inspire confidence.

EDIT: Also it seems ubuntu disabled /var/log/messages as of natty by default. As Mint is derivative, so was mine. I found some instructions and have since re-enabled it, so hopefully I get something useful. Most of the other logs however seem to be missing parts from where I have had to hard-reset so I'm not sure if it will help.

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 23, 2012

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Shanakin posted:

I'll be honest, I've never used SSH because I've never needed to (it's just a personal desktop). I guess I could try it from my phone. Anything special I need to set up?

You'll need to install the server (sudo apt-get install openssh-server). Apart from that, no - it should automatically start up and configure itself. Don't forget to record the ip somewhere (ifconfig | grep addr)

If you can ssh into it, here's a few things to try:
- dmesg to check the kernel logs
- top or htop to check running processes and resource usage
- sudo pkill X or even sudo pkill -9 X to kill and restart the GUI

If you can't ssh into (or ping) it it's well and truly wedged.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Okay thanks guys. Got SSH working. I'll report in next time I get a crash.

serling
Aug 25, 2005

Computer viking posted:

The solution was actually really simple. It was tied to a bit of history with out Linux environment. But to spare you the details and keep it short:

The passwd-file that was passed out through NIS had older user in it with a password stored. It's basically what the :x: right after every user name in passwd signify -- that there's a password entry for them in the shadow file.

Ubuntu didn't like this with my setup, even though our RHEL-servers accepted it just fine. I'm not sure if it's an issue with the PAM stack or what, but everything seemed sound from a logical point of view when I checked.

Anyway, I ended up updating the users in the passwd-file, showing username:!!: instead of username:x:. Voila.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

spankmeister posted:

Well, lets start with what you've already tried and where you're getting stuck.

I downloaded the software from their website and extracted it a folder in Documents. I then started following the readme instructions here:
http://pastebin.com/T5JgCCuh

I ran erlang.sh and ffmpeg.sh without a problem. I then attempted to run
code:
sudo sh ./install
and after a few lines of processes I received the error:
code:
upnp.c:17:33: fatal error: miniupnpc/miniupnpc.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
cp: cannot stat `upnp': No such file or directory
Not sure where to go from here.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

I downloaded the software from their website and extracted it a folder in Documents. I then started following the readme instructions here:
http://pastebin.com/T5JgCCuh

I ran erlang.sh and ffmpeg.sh without a problem. I then attempted to run
code:
sudo sh ./install
and after a few lines of processes I received the error:
code:
upnp.c:17:33: fatal error: miniupnpc/miniupnpc.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
cp: cannot stat `upnp': No such file or directory
Not sure where to go from here.

You need to download everything in 'dependencies' (emit 'depends on' these to work) before you get started.

Specifically you need this one:

http://miniupnp.free.fr/files/

Protip: Googling any error message you get when trying to build a project from source will usually lead you to the fix

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

i barely GNU her! posted:

I saw that on a Solaris box I used to administer, it turned out that the winbind database was being corrupted on save, but that bug was IIRC only specific to big-endian 64-bit systems (e.g. SPARC) and was fixed in 3.4.4.

If you're using winbind, have you checked that your idmap configuration is working and can create a map for every user? There's a tool that can dump the winbind cache tdb file which may be useful.

More to the point, actually enabling winbind in pam.d/samba helps. It worked with some users because I had already tested those over ssh (which was set up for winbind), I believe.

I feel somewhat stupid now.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

I've got a thumbdrive that I used as installation media, wrote an iso to it with dd. Now I'm trying to re-partition and re-format it, but gparted errors out when I try to create a new partition table. Here's what gparted outputs to the terminal window I launched it from:

code:
Invalid partition table - recursive partition on /dev/sdc.
Input/output error during read on /dev/sdc
Error fsyncing/closing /dev/sdc: Input/output error
Error opening /dev/sdc: No medium found
Am I using the wrong tool or am I totally out of luck on this?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

If the problem is really due to an invalid partition table, you can use dd with if=/dev/zero to clear out the first bit of the drive.

I don't recognize the error fsyncing messages...

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

taqueso posted:

If the problem is really due to an invalid partition table, you can use dd with if=/dev/zero to clear out the first bit of the drive.

I don't recognize the error fsyncing messages...

Is this the kind of thing that will stop when it runs out of disk space or will it just keep going and going? It's been running a long time now.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

PotatoJudge posted:

Is this the kind of thing that will stop when it runs out of disk space or will it just keep going and going? It's been running a long time now.

It will stop at the end, but you don't need to zero that much.

This does 10k, which should be plenty to get the partition table (too lazy to look up how big it is etc):
code:
dd bs=1k count=10 if=/dev/zero of=/dev/XXX
e: bs means block size; count is the number of blocks to process

taqueso fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 23, 2012

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Bob Morales posted:

You need to download everything in 'dependencies' (emit 'depends on' these to work) before you get started.

Specifically you need this one:

http://miniupnp.free.fr/files/

Protip: Googling any error message you get when trying to build a project from source will usually lead you to the fix

I did it! :unsmith:

Thanks for the help, everything is working.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Hughmoris posted:

I did it! :unsmith:

Thanks for the help, everything is working.

Be aware that by following the README and running those .sh files you've installed random versions of untracked programs/libraries on your system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Longinus00 posted:

Be aware that by following the README and running those .sh files you've installed random versions of untracked programs/libraries on your system.

I'm assuming there is no way around that if I want to run this particular program?