Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Episode 77 was awesome!

IU's morning call was so so so cute. It was also impressive how well she was singing live, although she did have the backing track to help her.

Sang Wook's laugh never stopped being funny. I love how Jaesuk is able to tease people just the right amount to make them more funny and bring out their character, but without actually annoying them.

Blue team seemed to only be in the episode about a minute before the finale. I guess Suk Jin is always destined to be edited out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Yeah, the nice thing about IU in general is that she can sing well :v:

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

qbert posted:

Heroes, a variety show featuring 12 women (singers, actresses, comedians) which I'm currently watching through now and it's pretty good so far!

Is that uploaded anywhere? I'd want to watch it for Hong Soo Ah and Yoo In Ah.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

TV Zombie posted:

Is that uploaded anywhere? I'd want to watch it for Hong Soo Ah and Yoo In Ah.

http://forum.shsubs.com/ is what I'm using currently. They've got subs up to Ep 27 so far.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
The last one was slightly delayed, so to keep this on track, here's one for today.

Episode 10:
Guests: Cha Tae-Hyun (Actor), Yoon Se-Ah (Actress)

1 2 3 4 5 6

Another very cool location to film in. After the usual beginning ribbing, the first game seems to have been picked based on the cast hurting themselves a couple of episodes back, but the auction format of it works pretty well since it forces everyone to overbid badly. It’s also the first appearance of Jong-Kook’s manager who crops up unexpectedly now and then. Also what I’m assuming is an interesting cultural difference, with black knight cropping up as what I’d call a white knight in that situation. And Gary’s offer being immediately rejected was great.

On with the bell hide-and-seek. I suspect someone may have got on to them about it being a museum, either that or they’re being careful for Jong-Kook again, because they’re a lot more respectful of the “no running” rule. It’s also the introduction of the hiding boxes, which they use occasionally when there’s not a vast amount of room to hide in the chosen location. That’s fine though, since the speed walking chases are probably even funnier because of it. And the twist to their mission that the hiding team weren’t expecting is a very good idea. The blue team’s hopes resting on, of all people, Suk-Jin as the last person to get caught is probably down to the inability to run, and Jong-Kook suddenly appearing in frame to thwart his getaway is no the less funny for being expected.

Then there’s the regular cup of tea round, this time with the deciding game being a drawing one. As you’ll see from this and later games, there are some good artists in the cast, and some godawful ones. Also there’s the opportunity leapt upon by the rest of the cast to further push Gary and Ji-Hyo together, which results in much adorable awkwardness. Jong-Kook suddenly being unchivalrous when it came to the coffee was something I didn’t see coming and so really funny, even if he did change his mind after. And finally they end up changing the rules for the punishment, but it has probably the funniest results of the punishments so far, largely because of the crowd they end up drawing.

Cha Tae-Hyun is a pretty awesome guest on this one.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Suk Jin and Jong Kook in the elevator is probably the hardest I ever laughed watching this show.

For those of you who might find the male guest in Ep 10 familiar, he's the lead from My Sassy Girl.

Selane
May 19, 2006

My problem with this ep was that the venue sucked. No good hiding places, small enough that everyone heard everyone coming, and no one could run. Other than that it was pretty good. Jongkook usage voucher was hilarious, as was everyone abandoning Gary and Jihyo and leaving them together. I think my favorite part was where they showed Gary's photo and Jihyo was randomly in there for no reason, and Jihyo was like :stare: in the photo like even she had no idea what the hell she was doing there.

Edit: Also I love the way the producers keep coming up with ways to randomly screw people over without mentioning it in advance, like putting loving alarms on the paintings.

Selane fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 21, 2012

GenghisTron
Dec 5, 2005

i dont live to live homie

Just finished episode 49 the Bodyguard episode. Jong Kook is a real dick at times.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Revenant Threshold posted:

Also what I’m assuming is an interesting cultural difference, with black knight cropping up as what I’d call a white knight in that situation.

It's actually just a substitute, like a pinch hitter. It's nothing to do with coming in to save the girl or anything. The female equivalent is a "black rose," I believe.

The auction was delightful. It wasn't even a game, just everyone being their regular goofy selves and having a great time goofing around, and somehow it got a team a running man ball. It's such ulfiltered fun and it makes me jealous that I don't have that. I don't think a person will ever know what true joy is unless they've been on a Korean variety show.

Even though it was another "slowed down" version of the chase game, it worked a lot better this time around for me. I both loved and hated how the painting was RIGHT THERE and Tae-Hyun didn't see it, and how he was literally boxed in by the sound of the bells for so long. And the end with Suk-Jin and Jong-Kook was just glorious.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I liked how Cha Tae Hyun was hiding in the box and his struggle to decide whether he should leave the box or not. I liked that time when he tried to escape only to run into Jong Kook's arms and he collapsed in fear. I also liked how Jong Kook was happy with his cup of coffee during the drinking game only to despair when Gary used his voucher/

u sp33k l33t br0
Sep 12, 2007

Who Doesn't Like Intercourse?
Soiled Meat
My favorite running gag is when everyone implies that Jihyo is an alcoholic.

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
The episode of Heroes that's previewed at the end of this one (10) has the only secret camera i've seen that i like.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

El Graplurado posted:

The episode of Heroes that's previewed at the end of this one (10) has the only secret camera i've seen that i like.

That one was actually quite funny. That show definitely feels like they ran out of ideas about halfway through and some episodes are just completely boring, but it starts out pretty good.

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I think it got a lot better as it went along, especially around the restaurant and high school episodes. I haven't seen past what shsubs have uploaded though, so maybe it does.

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005
I haven't watched Korean variety shows since X-Man (Dangyunhaji is my favorite TV segment ever), but I checked out Running Man ep.1 and felt right at home. I plan on watching the episodes in order... when do the "bad" episodes start so I can expect them?

SnowWolf fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 21, 2012

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

SnowWolf posted:

I haven't watched Korean variety shows since X-Man (Dangyunhaji is my favorite TV segment ever), but I checked out Running Man ep.1 and felt right at home. I plan on watching the episodes in order... when do the "bad" episodes start so I can expect them?

One episode that was commented on was around the early 20s where the cast is at a ski resort for the New Year and the guest is just an insufferable rear end from the beginning, not allowing the cast to do their opening. The general dislike from this thread and the opening minutes convinced me not to watch the episode.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
It was episode 23, and I skipped it as well after the opening.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

El Graplurado posted:

I think it got a lot better as it went along, especially around the restaurant and high school episodes. I haven't seen past what shsubs have uploaded though, so maybe it does.

I just finished the restaurant arc and I thought it was my favorite set of episodes of the show so far. Reminded me a lot of Infinity Challenge, with just the right balance of humor and sentiment and genuine challenging work. I actually like all of the cast members at this point. Too bad the show ended. :(

ruttivendolo
Oct 31, 2010

by elpintogrande
Cha Taeyon should be mandatory in every comedy show, he's such a beast.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
Two observations:

1. Yong hwa (ep. 17) clowning everyone in the reverse 1:9 game is definitely the highlight of the show so far. The look on the faces of the group during the revelation of what happened was amazing.

2. The "I sweaarrr" thing is far and away my favourite running gag. It's never not funny.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Jamesman posted:

It's actually just a substitute, like a pinch hitter. It's nothing to do with coming in to save the girl or anything. The female equivalent is a "black rose," I believe.
Ha, yet another cultural difference, I guess - I had to go look up pinch hitter, too. But thanks for the explanation.

SnowWolf posted:

As with what others have said, there's the episode that individually we seem to have arrived at a consensus on being ruined by a guest (which is a shame, since there is some funny stuff in there). Other than that, while some would prefer some of the earlier episodes, I don't think the show's jumped the shark just yet, which is almost 80 episodes in.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

ruttivendolo posted:

Cha Taeyon should be mandatory in every comedy show, he's such a beast.

I laughed so hard when he poured some of his coffee into Gary's cup. I bet Gary regretted mirroring him.

showdown
Jul 10, 2001

Smellrose
I wasn't able to find the Cha Tae Hyun eps of Family Outing on youtube but found this clip. Context is he's playing a game with Jong Kook where they wrote a secret about each other and had to guess what the other person wrote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCJbZYkln_g

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Made my way through three episodes and I'm pleased with what I've seen far. The guest for the ski lodge episode that everyone seems to hate was actually a very famous korean slapstick comedian so it might be for sentimental reasons but I didn't think it was that bad. The translators must have had a vendetta against him because they make him out to be a complete rear end when it's not the case at all. It's a bit sad to see him trying to use slapstick which obviously went out the window in the late 90s but I didn't find him unbearable.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Episode 11:
Guests: Jung Yong-Hwa (2nd App.), Kim Jae-Dong (Comedian)

1 2 3 4 5

I’d point out something funny about the opening, but I’m entirely distracted by Ji-Hyo in glasses. So we’ll skip past the first example of Gwang-Soo’s framing and onto another first, the 1 vs. X challenges. Simply put, one of the cast or a guest believes that they’re all taking part in one game; all the others have a different task they have to do without the victim noticing. It’s the first time they have this kind of major deception on the show, and it’s certainly not the last; we’ve got the Spy episodes coming up too, but that’s for then. It’s amusing to me to think that something which plays a big role in the show came originally from (as described here) the running gag of loving with Gary.

With that said, we have the fake stamping challenge. One of the joys of the deception tasks is the cast’s utter inability at times to keep a straight face. This is also the first episode with the thief card game (huh, a lot of firsts in this one), which also works pretty well by essentially being based around the usual ribbing the cast gets on with. Suk-Jin’s baldfaced lying before the jenga game, only backing down when threatened, was pretty great, likewise the brief return of (un-scheduled, anyway) loving with Gary, and it later backfiring on Jae-Suk. And then a game I’ve actually played (hooray for long car journeys), though with the first and last letters rather than the syllables necessary in Korean, which also inevitably descended into arguments about the rules. I like also that for the last couple of rounds they don’t tell us where the thief card goes, so you can try and guess yourself on their reactions.

Last up we have the hide and seek mission, this time with more running and more hiding spaces. Yong-Hwa continues to be a beast at these games, and Jae-Suk being led to believe he was being let go was priceless. And Jong-Kook is yet again incredibly annoyed at losing.

This is the other usual alternative with the Running Balls; some episodes the whole show is a team game, so the balls are simply team balls, but when there are individual games they use individual balls to decide the losers, in this case with Yong-Hwa and Ji-Hyo aptly rewarded for basically winning the hiding task alone. Finally, more hot pants.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Haha, I love Kim Jaedong.

KJD: Whoa you mean this is really a real game!? :monocle:
Everyone: Well, you don't normally play it with postage boxes...

I'm not some kind of high fashion type, but I'm not so sure Jihyo's plaid pants + print vest + glasses + bowtie was a good idea.

And as we'll see shortly, Sukjin and KJK will continue to argue over the results of that rock paper scissors game for like the next three episodes or something ridiculous like that.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

One thing I like about the 1 vs X games: the use of the Inception soundtrack whenever they rewind time. It makes what amounts to playing a prank on someone feel incredibly epic and cinematic.

Also, hooray for Yonghwa being back! He once again plays the hero. :clint:

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Selane posted:

Haha, I love Kim Jaedong.

He's really funny in episode 194 on Infinity Challenge, where they all pretend to be lawyers.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.

qbert posted:

the use of the Inception soundtrack

Or whenever they do anything else. Running Man is loving cinematic as gently caress with all the soundtracks they use

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Selane posted:

I'm not so sure Jihyo's plaid pants + print vest + glasses + bowtie was a good idea.

You shut your mouth. She's never looked better. :swoon:

I love that an entirely new game concept came from the fact that Gary gets hosed with, and I'm legitimately surprised at how well they all handled the challenge this time. I loved how Ji Hyo marking Gary was misunderstood as playfulness and didn't give anything away, and actually ended up helping others to get their marks on.

The large Jenga game was great, if only for the brief moments of them holding the blocks others were trying to remove. Syllable game was great for Suk-Jin's ongoing story about Sergeant Im as an effort to not be eliminated, and Yong-Hwa's constant insistance he was still in the game after getting eliminated, and Kwangsoo's last-minute save from not repeating a word. Loveable cheating jerks all around. Oh, and the Thief game as a framing device for these sub-games is great.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I caught a few eps of we got married and saw this episode of RM. It's safe to say that I have a man crush on Yonghwa. Dude is awesome.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
This really has to be one of the best episodes. I love it when they spend a little less time running and more time just pissing about.

So many great sections, but also so many hilarious little parts. Suk Jin's constant cheating, Yong Hwa's revival attempts, Jae Suk holding his arms by his side after Haha tickled him, Ji Hyo losing immediately in the word game with her adorable blank face.

Selane
May 19, 2006

sharktamer posted:

Ji Hyo losing immediately in the word game with her adorable blank face.

And then ruining the suspense during the Jaesuk/Kwangsoo showdown by blurting out the first thing that popped into her head.

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I don't know much Korean beyond the usual oppa/saranghae/ottoke that rubs off on you if you spend enough time with this stuff, but couldn't you just shout out any following syllable and odds are it could be a valid word in that game? Especially playing at only two syllables.

Then again these are words to these guys, not just sounds. And it's a working language.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

This is only tangentially Running Man related, but I've been watching the variety show Heroes, and it indeed confirms that IU is the most adorable thing ever.

FFSabin
Jul 3, 2004

ぐるぐる
Have some old school YJS! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uheSA-aHBI oh god his laugh. I'm making some ramyun right now goddamn watching all these korean shows is making me hungry.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

FFSabin posted:

Have some old school YJS! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uheSA-aHBI oh god his laugh. I'm making some ramyun right now goddamn watching all these korean shows is making me hungry.

That just made my day. Thank you.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

FFSabin posted:

Is that part of a boy band group or something?

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

El Graplurado posted:

I don't know much Korean beyond the usual oppa/saranghae/ottoke that rubs off on you if you spend enough time with this stuff, but couldn't you just shout out any following syllable and odds are it could be a valid word in that game? Especially playing at only two syllables.

Then again these are words to these guys, not just sounds. And it's a working language.

Nope. There are definitely easier syllables to respond to (ie wouldn't take you more than a split second if you were a native), but there are also some syllables that are bloody impossible. Ballet is divided into two syllables (bal-let) and drat the second "let" because it's crazy hard to think of something that starts with that syllable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yoo Jae-Suk singing a New Kids on the Block song. I find myself oddly delighted.

Archer2338 posted:

Nope. There are definitely easier syllables to respond to (ie wouldn't take you more than a split second if you were a native), but there are also some syllables that are bloody impossible. Ballet is divided into two syllables (bal-let) and drat the second "let" because it's crazy hard to think of something that starts with that syllable.

Lady. :colbert: