Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Another reason for Dirk's flat refusal of Roxy may be the fact that he knows that they're related. It's not explicitly said, sure, but the B2 derse dreamers seem to be clued in to the workings of the game and all -- it's not exactly a stretch to assume that Dirk understands their ectobiological origins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Glory of Arioch posted:

Another reason for Dirk's flat refusal of Roxy may be the fact that he knows that they're related. It's not explicitly said, sure, but the B2 derse dreamers seem to be clued in to the workings of the game and all -- it's not exactly a stretch to assume that Dirk understands their ectobiological origins.

They're not related though? Neither are Jane and Jake. John/Jade and Rose/Dave are the only sibling pairs

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

RickoniX posted:

They're not related though? Neither are Jane and Jake. John/Jade and Rose/Dave are the only sibling pairs

Yes they are. John and Jade are both ectocombinations of Jane and Jake, and the same will have always been true in reverse once Jane makes it to the Veil and gets her button-pushing on.

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y
Do we actually have enough information to come to any conclusions regarding ectobiology in the new session?

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Ze Pollack posted:

Yes they are. John and Jade are both ectocombinations of Jane and Jake, and the same will have always been true in reverse once Jane makes it to the Veil and gets her button-pushing on.

One of the big catches of a Scratched session is that the players aren't made from that session. These kids are about as related as Nanna and Grandpa Harley are to each other.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
There has been no final confirmation, but practically all the evidence we do have is in favor of bifurcation. That is, the eight baby meteors sent from the original lab by John ended up landing on Earth in both timelines.

For example:

- it would explain all the old-session artifacts without making up anything extra - otherwise there'd have to be some contrived reason why Rose and Jade had the same bunnies they originally did, not to mention John's Sassacre book with Nannasprite's message from the original session.

- when we were first told about the original troll session, we also learned that the pre-scratch players were not created in their own session and so were without origin, which meant they had to scratch in order to create the timeline that would spawn the session in which they were born (by means of Karkat pressing buttons). Given how little we know about the pre-scratch trolls, that probably wasn't just brought up for no reason.

- they all seem to be pretty much identical to their B1 counterparts, so probably they're meant to be, genetically. That would make the ectobiological reversal thing a bit iffy.

This is not an all-defeating truth hammer - there could still be ectobiology in this new session - but I can't think of any particular reason to expect it.

Hamiltonian Bicycle fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 22, 2012

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The only thing that is strange about the bifurcation theory (which is the theory I subscribe to) is why one universe got Bec, while the other one got Gcat.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Nate RFB posted:

The only thing that is strange about the bifurcation theory (which is the theory I subscribe to) is why one universe got Bec, while the other one got Gcat.

There's nothing strange about that. The original Troll universe did not get Doc Scratch.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Well, we don't know anything about the Pre-Scratch Trolls' First Guardian so who knows what the situation with that was. I think all this means is that some portals are "special" and bifurcate, and others do not. Which means we should eventually see Gcat's ectobiological creation in this session sooner or later.

Mr. Moon
Oct 22, 2007
The sky is deep and dark and eternally high...
Also Hussie has nanna note that she and Grandpa would have been together were it not for (Crocker-related) shenanigans. It seems more than likely that we'll be seeing that particular relationship work out "right" in this new universe, rather than it being stymied by incest.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

I'm sure dirk being gay will be handled with Andrew's usual sensitivity, after all he has impressed me with his solid opinions on race and gender

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

gowb posted:

I'm sure dirk being gay will be handled with Andrew's usual sensitivity, after all he has impressed me with his solid opinions on race and gender

I really can't think of a reason he'd handle it badly after handling the gay and bisexual trolls well.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
I'm under the impression that it's been confirmed the alpha kids aren't ectosiblings or otherwise related at all. I think Hussie's girlfriend said something about it on tumblr? In any case the bifurcation thing is clearly what's intended considering that Jane's copy of Sassacre's has the note from beta-universe Nanna in it.

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 22, 2012

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

gowb posted:

He seems to handle these things with an "it doesn't matter" strategy, which doesn't work very well with race but is surprisingly effective with sexuality; just normalizing homosexuality is helpful enough. My only fear is that people will misinterpret Dirk being weird and having strange fetishes as being some kind of commentary on homosexuality. Luckily so far Dirk is no more screwed up than any other character, and might, surprisingly, actually be the most well-adjusted.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

The note from Nanna is probably the heftiest bit of evidence of bifurcation to me, really.

As for the post-scratch Rose and Dave, it sounds to me like the implication is that they died a while back(assassinated?), but Crocker has look-alike robots or holograms or somethingl, maybe. Evil clones?

Snollygoster posted:

What surprised me was how Hussie clubbed the reader with Dirk's being-gay-ness. He's left enough hints in the writing up to this update to convict a criminal. I'm not saying he "shouldn't" have gone with being this direct! What I'm saying is it felt like Hussie going "HERE, DO YOU GET IT, STUPIDS?"

It wouldn't surprise me, since there's a huge contingent of people who just don't "get" subtle in this comic who just need things spelled out, and also a surprisingly large amount of people who stringently refuse to believe Kanaya is gay(or "troll gay" or whatever the gently caress) despite no less than three out-of-comic mentions by the author.

Apparently because a lot of Hussie's formspring/tumblr answers are jokes, means people feel that he can't be trusted on ANYTHING and thus obviously he was just joking about Kanaya only going for girls, and if that's true then OBVIOUSLY everything else is, and the entire cast is overweight and Equius has a horse penis for a horn. :v:

Also, maybe I just have a Hussian sense of humor, but I like when he teases at "totally obvious" things. Both because it still tickles me to an extent, and it gets even funnier when you see people in the fandom going crazy because they didn't actually see it coming.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Midnight Raider posted:

The note from Nanna is probably the heftiest bit of evidence of bifurcation to me, really.

As for the post-scratch Rose and Dave, it sounds to me like the implication is that they died a while back(assassinated?), but Crocker has look-alike robots or holograms or somethingl, maybe. Evil clones?

It wouldn't surprise me, since there's a huge contingent of people who just don't "get" subtle in this comic who just need things spelled out, and also a surprisingly large amount of people who stringently refuse to believe Kanaya is gay(or "troll gay" or whatever the gently caress) despite no less than three out-of-comic mentions by the author.

Apparently because a lot of Hussie's formspring/tumblr answers are jokes, means people feel that he can't be trusted on ANYTHING and thus obviously he was just joking about Kanaya only going for girls, and if that's true then OBVIOUSLY everything else is, and the entire cast is overweight and Equius has a horse penis for a horn. :v:

Also, maybe I just have a Hussian sense of humor, but I like when he teases at "totally obvious" things. Both because it still tickles me to an extent, and it gets even funnier when you see people in the fandom going crazy because they didn't actually see it coming.

Yeah, it's not a coincidence that Homestuck's worst parts are the parts where Hussie's explicitly addressing his fans. At the time they're done they're a little amusing, and then a month later it just looks dumb. As my example I take the entire troll romance diatribe, which just looks schizoid now.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
So I started experimenting with a song that used more than three chords and ended up with this piece. I guess it's about Calmasis.
Calmamity

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Ze Pollack posted:

Yeah, it's not a coincidence that Homestuck's worst parts are the parts where Hussie's explicitly addressing his fans. At the time they're done they're a little amusing, and then a month later it just looks dumb. As my example I take the entire troll romance diatribe, which just looks schizoid now.

Funnily enough, I was late to the party and only read that part in the archives, and didn't really read anything negative about it. From my uninformed vantage point, it just seemed like at a point he decided to explain the alluded-to troll romance system and did so while poking fun at the fact that not everyone might be interested in it.

Well Manicured Man posted:

So I started experimenting with a song that used more than three chords and ended up with this piece. I guess it's about Calmasis.
Calmamity

This is actually pretty good, in both being neat to listen to, and somehow being sort of fitting to a character we know little about. The opening parts definitely gave me a "Harry Potter" vibe, and the whole piece leaves the character's alignments and motives seeming a bit vague and mysterious.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
If anybody doesn't get the portal bifurcation theory, I'd suggest you read Andrew Hussie's (really old and really really short) comic Neon Icecream Headache. It demonstrates the "1 man goes in 1 portal, X copies of that man come out of X portals" idea very well.

As for the sexual orientation stuff, I'm just angry that Tumblr's whining seems to have gotten to Hussie to some extent. I mean, it's a useful tidbit to show us the effects of Alternian cultural integration, but there is no reason to make this big a loving deal out of it.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

As for the sexual orientation stuff, I'm just angry that Tumblr's whining seems to have gotten to Hussie to some extent. I mean, it's a useful tidbit to show us the effects of Alternian cultural integration, but there is no reason to make this big a loving deal out of it.

I don't think it speaks much of Alternian influence but instead of Dirk not wanting him being gay made out to be a big deal.

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y

Aqua Dinosaur posted:

Sometimes I wonder if I would enjoy the comic more if I just avoided the fanbase entirely. Then again, I would be completely lost if I didn't have a way to discuss events of the story with people.

Still, the bullshit that comes from the fandom is ridiculous.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Midnight Raider posted:

Funnily enough, I was late to the party and only read that part in the archives, and didn't really read anything negative about it. From my uninformed vantage point, it just seemed like at a point he decided to explain the alluded-to troll romance system and did so while poking fun at the fact that not everyone might be interested in it.

Same here. The wolf head thing was kinda confusing though.

Mr. D Bewildering posted:

Sometimes I wonder if I would enjoy the comic more if I just avoided the fanbase entirely. Then again, I would be completely lost if I didn't have a way to discuss events of the story with people.

Still, the bullshit that comes from the fandom is ridiculous.

I feel this way about most fandoms, if I am honest. I only discuss MSPA in this thread, for example.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
Update.

Dirk/AR: the new Past Karkat/Future Karkat?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Kind of liking the higher degree of friction between these kids as opposed to the original four. Strikes a balance between the careening murder-frenzy of the trolls and the Four Best Friends Forever.

It's also tough to tell whether Dirk is meant to come off as pushy, controlling, and no fun, or whether he's just justifiably exasperated by a drunk girl who's smarter than she's acting at the moment.

It's also fun to note that self-defeating gestures and futile thrashing around is a family trait of the Lalondes. And maybe it's just the red, but the Auto Responder seems a lot more like Dave, probably because he's still rooted in a 13-year-old's psyche. An interesting way to demonstrate the difference these three years have made and will make in character development.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I loving love the fact that the AR jumped in mid-conversation. It also really helped to showcase the differences between him and Dirk proper.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Seeing Cal sit still is kinda unnerving. Ia this the first time we've seem him perfectly still?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Roxy flirts with AR since Dirk won't flirt back with her any more? That's actually kind of sad. :smith:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
It feels like Dirk knows a lot more about what is going on than he should know at this point. He would like to tell his friends, but he can't for some legit reason (i.e. Not in a Citan Uzuki-ish dickwad sort of way), which causes him great amounts of frustration.

That is what I took out of it all.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 23, 2012

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

quote:

TT: This is fuckin' dumb.
Laughing pretty hard at all this.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Nate RFB posted:

Laughing pretty hard at all this.

Excuse me, the correct term is "ololing".

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
As a point on the first part of this pesterlog conversation, I find it nice that Hussie used "rolal" as a way for Roxy to refer to herself after her full first name was revealed instead of never mentioning the previous name-shortenings. It makes the kids referring to each other through means other than their first names a little more believable to me.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Ominous Jazz posted:

Seeing Cal sit still is kinda unnerving. Ia this the first time we've seem him perfectly still?

Is he sitting still, or just moving so fast that the naked eye can't perceive it? :tinfiol:

fake edit: *:tinfoil:

Gizmotinker
Oct 31, 2011

WILL COACH 4 RARES

Great at giving unsolicited bad advice in the Dota2 thread without having a public profile! You see, it's his shitty teammates that hold him back; he wouldn't want you thinking it's him.

His posts make it sound like he's playing a different game. Seriously.
Looks like the text colours for Dirk and his Responder are the same as Beta-Dave and Dave.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Gizmotinker posted:

Looks like the text colours for Dirk and his Responder are the same as Beta-Dave and Dave.

Which pretty much guarantees that AR will become AR-sprite, assuming it will even be possible to do prototyping in this messed-up session.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

quote:

TT: Roxy, go nap off your drink, or aggressively wage another flirtlarping campaign, whatever, I don't care.

Ooh, ooh, flirtlarping = flarp :v:

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

graybook posted:

As a point on the first part of this pesterlog conversation, I find it nice that Hussie used "rolal" as a way for Roxy to refer to herself after her full first name was revealed instead of never mentioning the previous name-shortenings. It makes the kids referring to each other through means other than their first names a little more believable to me.
Hehe, yeah. I always found it a little jarring when characters suddenly switched from using abbreviated chumhandles to names as soon as that name was revealed. Nice to see a little more continuity there.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Every time I read 'AR' in in this thread, my brain supplies "Aimless Renegade" before it imagines "Auto-Responder"

So now when I hear about AR-sprite, I'm thinking of an Aimless Renegade-sprite, but he's also wearing the Auto-Responder glasses.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Man everyone's all hung up with kids being siblings or not siblings or incestuous destinymates or whatever, when the dudes came outta machines.

Check dis poo poo out: You get yourselves a Bro and a Mom, ectoclone those fuckers, and pour their ectoseminal slurry into your ectobreeding vats.

They contribute gendered chromosomes byBX and myMX, respectively. You set the knob on the machine to the "plotfuckery" setting and it'll jam out ectochildren Dave and Rose, inheriting pairs bymx and BXMX, respectively. Repeat 22 times and declare bullshit like mitochondrial DNA to just be the same in everyone and you've milled yourself a fresh pair of ectobabies who are as genetically related as their parents were to each other, and are, conceptually, capable of producing conventional offspring who are the genetic clones of their ectoforebearers. The light is green, motherfuckers! Incest is no problem. I leave you with this gift.

ECTOREPRODUCTION SURE IS WEIRD. We all take a moment to lament how imprecise the conventional reproductive system is, and further lament that the phrase "ectoseminal slurries" is not a feature of common parlance in human civilization.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.

KoB posted:

Gamzee the smallest troll

I cannot unsee tall Karkat now.

In my headcanon Karkat was always the smallest troll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

I finally caught up with the thread today, and I notice that the "bifurcation of the meteors" theory was brought up again. Wasn't the big problem with the original troll session that they weren't created within their session?

In this page right here, it highlights that as a major glitch in the system. I'll quote the relevant bit:

quote:

Though they could not recognize it for the bad omen it was, this session was not the one in which they had been spawned. Such is the symptom of a subtle glitch affecting certain sessions, an error designed to trigger an unfathomable cascade of misfortune throughout paradox space. This glitch is the calling card of the one I serve. It is the discreet, gentlemanly manner in which he reserves his place in a universe for later visitation.

So, either it can't be bifurcation, or the kids hosed over their own universe in more ways than one by introducing the glitch that Lord English apparently uses as his calling card and dooming the session, requiring another scratch.

Thoughts?