Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duo
Aug 4, 2002
I'm interested in applying to nursing college to become and RN and possibly working towards a masters and doctorate to be an ARNP. I haven't exactly set my mind on what I would want to specialize in though. But I had a couple of questions:

I love psychology and mental health in general, so I was wondering what would it take to work as a psychiatric nurse? Would you work a few years in critical care, and then wait for a position to open and apply? Or do they go through any other kind of training?

How long does it take to start working in the ER? Is 2 years or so of critical care generally the requirement?

And also I'm curious about what it's like to be a nurse anesthetist. I have a general interest and that field of medicine and I think it would be great to work with patients and make sure they get through everything comfortably. But I've also heard it involves long hours waiting in operating rooms (which are apparently freezing). It still sounds very interesting to me though, and I don't mean just for the money.

Anyway if anyone could give some experiences or point to some good websites or videos that would be helpful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Nurse Fanny posted:

Excelsior programs suck, EMS folks have this idea that they are a golden ticket into nursing. Go through school like everybody else, preferably a BSN or dual degree BSN program, or heck a direct entry masters program. ADNs are great and all but hospitals are beginning to turn preferences towards bachelor's prepared nurses.

2) Employers would prefer nursing experience.

4) RN to BSN programs are great.

Why do you want to be a CRNA? Honestly if a CRNA paycheck is your goal, you are picking a really convoluted path and you'll probably be miserable on your little journey.

Quoted these things for truth.

EMS people are wonderful, it takes a certain type of person to work emergency medicine, but it makes no no lesser or no greater than anyone else who furthers their education to become a nurse. EMS people are great at what they do, but it does not compare to true nursing.

If you want to get your CRNA, you must first become a BSN. This is a requirement no matter where you look. I would highly, HIGHLY recommend working as an RN with floor nursing first. If you're too impatient, perhaps working as a floor RN while obtaining your BSN if that is a possibility. You can not become a CRNA without your BSN degree.

Becoming a CRNA involves patient interaction, and pre-operative time is the most important, stressful, anxiety-ridden time for patients. Even though you only deal with patients pre-operatively, you must be familiar with a patient's outcome post-op before deciding to devote your life to anesthetizing them.

As a CRNA, you have to obtain consent from your patients. This means you have to explain the risks/benefits/what to expect from their operation. It means so much more if you have actually experienced what a patient will go through from start to finish. Having firsthand knowledge will only make you that much better, that much more compassionate, of of a CRNA.

For the sake of your future patients, work as a post-op RN before (or while) you are working towards your CRNA. It takes more time, but in the long run, it is totally worth it to yourself, but more importantly, your patients.

(Edited for rambling.)

Koivunen fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 23, 2011

Private Label
Feb 25, 2005

Encapsulate the spirit of melancholy. Easy. BOOM. A sad desk. BOOM. Sad wall. It's art. Anything is anything.

Duo posted:

How long does it take to start working in the ER? Is 2 years or so of critical care generally the requirement?

I think it depends on where you live- in Michigan at least, you can start as a GN in the ER, ICU, NICU, whatever. My classmates started in just about everything (that was in 2008). Depends on the job openings.

Joellypie
Mar 13, 2006

Duo posted:

Like the above poster said it depends on your area. I personally just started as a graduate nurse in the ER with many friends getting jobs in ICU, NICU, L&D, and trauma. It will depend on how saturated the market is, how picky the hospital can be (low turn overs), applying for magnet status, ect.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Nurse Fanny posted:

Excelsior programs suck, EMS folks have this idea that they are a golden ticket into nursing. Go through school like everybody else, preferably a BSN or dual degree BSN program, or heck a direct entry masters program. ADNs are great and all but hospitals are beginning to turn preferences towards bachelor's prepared nurses.

1) CRNAs will be needed soon, and advanced practice nurses will probably need masters or higher degree soon. Schools are hard to come by right now and getting into them is incredibly difficult.

2) Employers would prefer nursing experience. EMS experience guarantees you nothing in the nursing realm and could hinder you depending on all of the bad habits you make. You could be hired into an ICU. Most hospitals prefer ICU experience before you get into an ER. Some hospitals do have new grad ER positions, but they can be pretty rare. Again all of this is fiercely competitive. You could spend well over a year with your license and a mountain of debt waiting for a job. CRNA programs love lots and lots of critical care experience (years) meaning that you'll still have to wipe asses and deal with boogers and all that. Medics have a huge fear of all that, get over it. You'd be lucky to get a "twinky poo poo" job right now or any time soon.

4) RN to BSN programs are great.

Why do you want to be a CRNA? Honestly if a CRNA paycheck is your goal, you are picking a really convoluted path and you'll probably be miserable on your little journey.

I realize that it would be better for me I had a BSN and some nursing experience to get hired as a nurse. The reason I'm looking at the crooked route I'm looking at is this:

code:
Year       1       2       3       5       6       7       8
 Job     Medic   Medic   ICU-RN   ICU-RN  ICU-RN
School   Excles          RN>BSN           CRNA
========or or or===============================================
 Job     Medic   Medic   Medic   Medic   ICU-RN  ICU-RN
School   BSN     BSN     BSN     BSN             CRNA
In the first option I take a swing at CRNA applications with a better RN background, more money in my pocket and more years in my life (if I did well enough on my nursing tests I might get some CRNA school to accept my by year five in the top line schedule). This is especially important if, as I saw elsewhere online, CRNA programs begin migrating to doctoral ones in 2015 (and all are to be doctoral by 2025). One other thing to consider is that bridge programs are structured so you can do them while working whereas regular four year BSN programs certainly are not. Those four years on the bottom line are worse then the four years above.

I know a few ex medics here in NYC who did Excelsior and went straight into the ER. Some ERs are pretty pro-medic. Others.... not so much.

As to why CRNA I think it just fits my personality and interests in medicine pretty well. On my OR rotations one of the anesthesiologists was having me do her intake interviews, give the complications speeches, place her IVs, tube (or LMA or whatever) her patients, do everything basically apart from pushing the drugs (which I would have happily done if I knew anything really about them, but I don't). The surgery side of the OR isn't so appealing to me -- surgeons do good work but in the end it's plumbing work and I like something a little more abstract.

Koivunen posted:

Quoted these things for truth.

EMS people are wonderful, it takes a certain type of person to work emergency medicine, but it makes no no lesser or no greater than anyone else who furthers their education to become a nurse. EMS people are great at what they do, but it does not compare to true nursing.

If you want to get your CRNA, you must first become a BSN. This is a requirement no matter where you look. I would highly, HIGHLY recommend working as an RN with floor nursing first. If you're too impatient, perhaps working as a floor RN while obtaining your BSN if that is a possibility. You can not become a CRNA without your BSN degree.

Becoming a CRNA involves patient interaction, and pre-operative time is the most important, stressful, anxiety-ridden time for patients. Even though you only deal with patients pre-operatively, you must be familiar with a patient's outcome post-op before deciding to devote your life to anesthetizing them.

As a CRNA, you have to obtain consent from your patients. This means you have to explain the risks/benefits/what to expect from their operation. It means so much more if you have actually experienced what a patient will go through from start to finish. Having firsthand knowledge will only make you that much better, that much more compassionate, of of a CRNA.

For the sake of your future patients, work as a post-op RN before (or while) you are working towards your CRNA. It takes more time, but in the long run, it is totally worth it to yourself, but more importantly, your patients.

(Edited for rambling.)

I always like it when I run into a nurse like yourself in a hospital, its a great way to be. But it calls to mind a conversation I had recently with one of my fellow students in medic school. The guy had only worked transport shifts for a few months and his employer offered to enroll him in medic school (I take it he was a friend of the family or something, I didn't dig for details) -- normally most medic schools suggest that you have six months of 911 experience before applying and 911 and the transport side are two fairly different animals. So he enrolled in medic school and on one of his rotations his preceptor told him he wasn't ready, that he should drop out and go get more experience and come back to school later.

In my mind that's crap. I'm sure the patients would appreciate it if every medical person that touched them had done ten years of schooling plus another ten of tightly overseen clinicals and was watched over by a cadre of 700 year old Elvin druids who can preform microsurgery with their thoughts if need be (and your insurance covers it). But medicine isn't just about what's good for the patient. It's a job too, and the people who go in to it aren't doing anything wrong by looking for the right thing to do for them. Yeah, that guy probably wouldn't have finished the class ready to go onto an emergency ambulance as a paramedic. But he probably could have ran transport jobs and worked on a volunteer ambulance until he got comfortable and then switched over to the 911 side. Want to learn how to swim? Better get in the water.

Now, the reaction I usually get the above paragraph from the actually-care nurses like yourself is usually pretty negative, so let me put it another way. Say I start doing CRNA work whenever and do it until I'm 55 or something. At the beginning of my work I can either be someone who went to to school for eight years and worked as a medic for most of it, or I can be someone who went to school for six years while working as a nurse for most of it.

Nurse Fanny
Aug 14, 2007

Ok, here's the tl;dr response to everything: your timeframe and goals are unrealistic and you are setting yourself up for failure, an expensive failure.

You should probably learn about nursing and what nurses do (from outside of an EMS perspective) before you decide to jump into a nursing-centric career that requires a shitload of nursing experience. You've said enough to show your naiveté in all of this.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Nurse Fanny posted:

Ok, here's the tl;dr response to everything: your timeframe and goals are unrealistic and you are setting yourself up for failure, an expensive failure.

If I hadn't read about the 2015 shift I wouldn't be in such a rush. My concern is that I end up catching up to CRNA requirements just as they shift to something more than they are now.

Could you maybe fill me in more on RN>BSN transitional programs? How long would you expect those to take? How much of those are done on campus vs. distance learning? Is there difference in respect granted to BSN holders who did a traditional four year approach vs. a bridge program and how much of a difference is there between bridge programs as far as later getting access to CRNA programs goes?

Also, do CRNA programs take old people? I'm 32 now so at best I'd be 37 or something upon applying to those programs.

Nurse Fanny
Aug 14, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

If I hadn't read about the 2015 shift I wouldn't be in such a rush. My concern is that I end up catching up to CRNA requirements just as they shift to something more than they are now.

Could you maybe fill me in more on RN>BSN transitional programs? How long would you expect those to take? How much of those are done on campus vs. distance learning? Is there difference in respect granted to BSN holders who did a traditional four year approach vs. a bridge program and how much of a difference is there between bridge programs as far as later getting access to CRNA programs goes?

Also, do CRNA programs take old people? I'm 32 now so at best I'd be 37 or something upon applying to those programs.

RN to BSN is just like a straight up BSN, the only difference between the two is that you could have more nursing experience after receiving your BSN from a transitional program (because you'll have been a nurse for longer), which could help in the job/school hunt. A BSN is a BSN, it won't be frowned upon if you took a different track to the same recognized degree,

There are certainly distance learning, school, and blended programs, just make sure they are accredited. It all depends on the school you enroll in.

I've seen transitional programs last from a year to 2 depending on the pace that you do it in. Some folks spread out school if they are working full time or if they have families.

Age shouldn't be an issue for you. You'd be surprised to see the diversity of your classmates in nursing school.

Joellypie
Mar 13, 2006
So right now I am in the process of taking Hurst and getting ready for NCLEX (January 5th!). I was wondering if anyone had any ways of remembering acid base. It is something I have always struggled with. I know the ROME acronym, and usually don't have issues with the actual lab value part, it is keep everything else straight. I'm doing the online Hurst review and acid base was 3 pages and the person teaching it was all over the place and not following the notes. I will watch it again but figured some people in here may have had some teachers that did a good break down of it.

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

:911:

Joellypie posted:

So right now I am in the process of taking Hurst and getting ready for NCLEX (January 5th!). I was wondering if anyone had any ways of remembering acid base. It is something I have always struggled with. I know the ROME acronym, and usually don't have issues with the actual lab value part, it is keep everything else straight. I'm doing the online Hurst review and acid base was 3 pages and the person teaching it was all over the place and not following the notes. I will watch it again but figured some people in here may have had some teachers that did a good break down of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OpvyEIlFj8

Fixed the link. Try this--ABG tic-tac-toe.

JAF07 fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 29, 2011

TheFarSide
Jul 24, 2001

Nay, we are but men... ROCK!
Took NCLEX yesterday. 17 of my 75 were SATA. Brutal.

EDIT: If the pearson trick is accurate, I've passed.

Giant Wallet
Jan 1, 2010

TheFarSide posted:

Took NCLEX yesterday. 17 of my 75 were SATA.

Everyone I've talked to from my school said the same thing. I had about 15. Apparently they're becoming a very popular type of question for that test.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
I will be applying in March for a Summer enrollment to the Nursing program. I'm 24. I have just been taking the basic classes but this quarter (class started on Wednesday) I start the A&P series. We have A&P lecture and then lab and the class is split into three different classes. I take one this quarter, one in Spring, and then the final one in Summer(which would be my first quarter in the Nursing program if I were to get in.)

My problem. As I look at the syllabus for the A&P class I am starting to get very very nervous. This will be the first "hard" class I have taken. I haven't taken a biology class since high school (6-7 years?) and I didn't have to take Chem 101 due to a high school grade. I had to take 102 but unfortunately for the year I have been in school that is probably the least effort I put into a class. Absolutely stupid, I know, but that was the way it was (Took it this past summer. Scrapped a B, but it was pure grind in the final week of class to get poo poo done and didn't really "learn" anything as I was just cramming). So, with that one Chem class being the only exposure to sciences in the past 6+ years, am I royally hosed? I haven't even really started the class, had only one class, but I'm just getting really anxious. Even thinking maybe I should push back my plans for nursing until next winter and take some intro level Bio and Chem classes but then I think a whole year just for 1 or two classes?

or should I just toughen up and see what happens (which is what will happen since I am already in the class). Are there any outside sources that I could use to help offset this gap in science education or is it probably already too late for that? I'm not a dumb rear end. Always did well in High School. The type that I'm frustrated with a B. But I just feel I am going to be getting in over my head. Six years really does a lot to make you forget. Like, I hear mention of Lipids and Carbohydrates and I know I should know this poo poo off the top of my head, but I just loving don't. Am I way over my head here or am I just working myself up more then I should?

Thanks for any advice you folks can give me.

Nurse Fanny
Aug 14, 2007

TheFarSide posted:

What's the pearson trick?

TheFarSide
Jul 24, 2001

Nurse Fanny posted:

What's the pearson trick?

After your test, if you try to register to retake the NCLEX on Pearson's site again, they'll not let you if you passed. If you failed, it will take you all the way to ask for your credit card information for payment. If you google "Pearson vue trick" there are various websites that talk about it.

I showed up on the Ohio board of nursing website today with an active status and a license number, so sample size of one, the Pearson trick worked. Woo, passed boards.

TheFarSide fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 6, 2012

Lava Lamp
Sep 18, 2007
banana phone

CancerStick posted:

I haven't taken a biology class since high school (6-7 years?)

Well, haven't taken A+P, but I had been reading an A+P textbook casually as I was waiting for classes to start (2 weeks). the first two chapters were basically Biology and Chemistry in nutshells. I found myself remembering some of the things, but it was good to just read the terms and definitions again as a refresher. you may want to consider getting an old biology text from the library as a reference.

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

A lot of people enjoy being dead.

TheFarSide posted:

God I hate SATA. One of my teachers would always write really sadistic ones like where one of the answers was NOT a bad idea but "probably not necessary." :suicide:

Giant Wallet
Jan 1, 2010
So what do you seasoned nurses (and possible nurse managers?) recommend to keep skills sharp? The job market is horrible I finish with my BSN in 3 months, and I don't know if I'll find a job--or rather, how long it'll take me to find one. In the meantime, I don't want it to look like I just sat on my rear end until I got a job interview, I want to prove that I actively tried to keep myself busy in the meantime in THIS field instead of just going back to my old job. Should I try going PCA? Volunteering? What looks best?

TheFarSide
Jul 24, 2001

Giant Wallet posted:

So what do you seasoned nurses (and possible nurse managers?) recommend to keep skills sharp? The job market is horrible I finish with my BSN in 3 months, and I don't know if I'll find a job--or rather, how long it'll take me to find one. In the meantime, I don't want it to look like I just sat on my rear end until I got a job interview, I want to prove that I actively tried to keep myself busy in the meantime in THIS field instead of just going back to my old job. Should I try going PCA? Volunteering? What looks best?

Getting a job as a PCA may be difficult because they know you'll be an RN in the very near future. While STNA and PCA jobs are traditionally a bit higher turnover rate, they may not be interested in hiring someone for that temporary a time. That being said, if you have clinical rotations in places you enjoy, it's worth talking directly to the nursing manager of that unit and saying you're interested in working as a tech to eventually move into an RN position within the unit, etc.

Within this field, there's a lot more "who you know" compared to "what you know." That's not to say that "what you know" isn't important, because it is, but more people in the new grad position get jobs because of knowing the right people. Network network network.

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011
I think I have probably asked this before, but are there not nursing agencies in the states? Pretty much everywhere (public, anyway) here is understaffed, and those spots are generally filled with agency staff that float around to different hospitals and services. It'd probably be terrible as a new grad, with very little or no support, but they usually reserve fairly low-acuity patients for agency staff, anyway.

Joellypie
Mar 13, 2006

TheFarSide posted:

Within this field, there's a lot more "who you know" compared to "what you know." That's not to say that "what you know" isn't important, because it is, but more people in the new grad position get jobs because of knowing the right people. Network network network.

Seconding this! I was offered interviews due to what the nurse manager observed of me during a clinical rotation, another because I volunteered, and another because I introduced myself personally to a nurse recruiter and then stayed in touch with her until graduation. If you know anyone from semesters before you start networking with them and get names and emails of their nurse managers or find out if they can get the emails to the nurse recruiters for that hospital.

Zeo
Oct 15, 2009

TheFarSide posted:

After your test, if you try to register to retake the NCLEX on Pearson's site again, they'll not let you if you passed. If you failed, it will take you all the way to ask for your credit card information for payment. If you google "Pearson vue trick" there are various websites that talk about it.

I showed up on the Ohio board of nursing website today with an active status and a license number, so sample size of one, the Pearson trick worked. Woo, passed boards.

It does work, I had friends who failed and were able to re-pay, and I was not.

Congrats...

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:
I'm new to this thread--have browsed it in the past but never posted. I searched for anything about the HESI exam but didn't have much luck, both on here and Google.
I just completed my HESI A2(?) exam, and I think I did very well, but I was wondering if anyone had any links for how to better interpret your scores.

I understand that each school's requirements are different. My test only had 3 main subject areas--Reading comprehension, math, and A&P. I scored in the 90s on two and in the 80s in one. Overall cumulative score of 91.33%

Following google links has led me to other message boards where people are posting about scores in the 800s, 900s, etc. I don't see anything like that on my print out.

Don't know how to interpret it other than "hurr, 2 As and one B." My school's nursing page has nothing helpful, either :smith:

Any help is appreciated, or if I'm out of line asking, tell me to gently caress off :)

edit: called the Evolve support, and he walked me through how to access the detailed poo poo. It is rather confusing..but I found it. As far as converting percentages to a different score, he didn't know, but I am relieved.

whatshesaid fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 10, 2012

TheFarSide
Jul 24, 2001

whatshesaid posted:

I'm new to this thread--have browsed it in the past but never posted. I searched for anything about the HESI exam but didn't have much luck, both on here and Google.
I just completed my HESI A2(?) exam, and I think I did very well, but I was wondering if anyone had any links for how to better interpret your scores.

I understand that each school's requirements are different. My test only had 3 main subject areas--Reading comprehension, math, and A&P. I scored in the 90s on two and in the 80s in one. Overall cumulative score of 91.33%

Following google links has led me to other message boards where people are posting about scores in the 800s, 900s, etc. I don't see anything like that on my print out.

Don't know how to interpret it other than "hurr, 2 As and one B." My school's nursing page has nothing helpful, either :smith:

Any help is appreciated, or if I'm out of line asking, tell me to gently caress off :)

edit: called the Evolve support, and he walked me through how to access the detailed poo poo. It is rather confusing..but I found it. As far as converting percentages to a different score, he didn't know, but I am relieved.

We swapped from HESI to ATI for our predictor testing and exit testing partway through our program. For the subjects you are talking about, we took the NET - nursing entrance test, which showed percentages and percentiles, similar to what you're seeing. For the first HESI we took within the program, we had to get above 850 to keep going. For ATI it's completely different, so I won't even go there.

So, is what you're talking about a pre-req before applying to the program or something?

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."
I've just finished my prerequisites, and am about to apply for my school's Nursing program. In the future, I'd like to go back to school to be a CRNA. But...this may sound stupid, but what exactly do they do? I get that they anesthetize patients, obviously, but what's the difference between a CRNA and an Anesthesiologist? Besides education, of course.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

dissin department posted:

I've just finished my prerequisites, and am about to apply for my school's Nursing program. In the future, I'd like to go back to school to be a CRNA. But...this may sound stupid, but what exactly do they do? I get that they anesthetize patients, obviously, but what's the difference between a CRNA and an Anesthesiologist? Besides education, of course.

Pay.

A good CRNA will run the anesthesia show from start to finish. Meet the patient in holding, do the pre-anes interview, answer questions. In the OR bay they'll start the line. In the OR they'll paralyze (gas, meds), intubate/put in an LMA, confirm the airway, and then sedate. Monitor the anaesthesia during the operation, handle the post anasthesia stuff with extubating and getting the patient awake and off the OR table.

Your doc may take over for patients who have past anaesthesia issues or who he expects may be tricky (obese, suspected current IV drug user, other stuff I don't know about).

I'm interested in eventually doing CRNA work too, probably on a somewhat similar timeline to you (I'm in paramedic school now and just finished my OR rotations). You should be aware that CRNA programs will start switching to doctoral level in 2015 and that all are expected to be doctoral by 2020 or something. Current CRNAs are supposed to get grandfathered in but the door is closing.

Why you wanna do gas, buddy?

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."
well to be honest, it just seems really interesting! the pay doesn't hurt, either. not that getting my RN won't be enough by itself. I'd be perfectly happy with just that, but I feel like getting my master's (or, like you said, a doctorate these days) would be very fulfilling. what made you consider it?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I like the somewhat abstract nature of it, the nature of the OR will help me deal mostly with patients who have something fixable wrong with them, and the limited patient care exposure means I'm less likely to burn out doing the work long term. Also I just felt like I was well in stride on my OR rotations recently (which were done on the head end of the table) whereas on the ambulance or in the ER while I'm outwardly a nice and interested medical person inwardly half the time I'm seething with condescention and other such interfering moodyness that I wouldn't want present in someone taking care of me.

Overall I'd say that I expect that sort of work to be fairly comfortable and well suited to me. I could be wrong, of course, but unfortunatly I still can't convince anyone to pay me to lay in a garden and name the animals.

Hellacopter
Feb 25, 2011
I just finished reading a fantastic book that a faculty member recommended.

It isn't about critical care nursing, it's about a new grad talking about the experiences of her first year of nursing. Things like dealing with patient death, working around hospital bureaucracy to deliver patient care, and even transferring to another unit because of poor working conditions. The author is a former English professor so it's well written and easy to get into. I normally don't buy books and just check them out from the library, but I'm planning on buying this once I graduate and get into the real world. :unsmith: If you're a new grad, or even just approaching graduation, I think it's a wonderful book to read. It's quick too, I finished it in about two hours.

TheFarSide
Jul 24, 2001

Hellacopter posted:

I just finished reading a fantastic book that a faculty member recommended.

Got a flight to Florida tomorrow morning. My Nook thanks you for the suggestion.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
b0nes is back in the game!! I had abandoned nursing but I am getting a lot of support from friends to give it another shot. I will try to get over my mental block for chemistry. There are too many drat jobs out there, my local hospital had like 60 openings at one point. Not sure if they would hire a new grad though. If I finish the program I would have no problem moving.

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."

b0nes posted:

b0nes is back in the game!! I had abandoned nursing but I am getting a lot of support from friends to give it another shot. I will try to get over my mental block for chemistry. There are too many drat jobs out there, my local hospital had like 60 openings at one point. Not sure if they would hire a new grad though. If I finish the program I would have no problem moving.

I don't know how much it will help get past the new grad/no experience problem, but you could do like I am and work part-time as a CNA while you go to nursing school. the CNA program is pretty short- i'm knocking it out over the summer. It's obviously not the same as being full RN, but it can't hurt. especially if you apply to the same hospital you worked at as a CNA.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

I don't know how much it will help get past the new grad/no experience problem, but you could do like I am and work part-time as a CNA while you go to nursing school. the CNA program is pretty short- i'm knocking it out over the summer. It's obviously not the same as being full RN, but it can't hurt. especially if you apply to the same hospital you worked at as a CNA.

Thats actually what I found out last night, I can get a CNA for about $1200 and it only takes about a month full time.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

b0nes posted:

Thats actually what I found out last night, I can get a CNA for about $1200 and it only takes about a month full time.

Should be able to get it for about half that buddy. Shop around.

Many hospitals won't take CNAs who don't have experience -- many CNAs start off working for agencies which means in nursing homes. But you can get lucky.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Anybody have any other recommendations for NCLEX books or question banks I can use? I have the Kaplan and the Lacharity Prioritization book, but I don't test for another 3 weeks and I'd like to have a couple more sets of questions to practice with before I test.

loving NCLEX

:ohdear:

TheFarSide
Jul 24, 2001

Dr. Capco posted:

Anybody have any other recommendations for NCLEX books or question banks I can use?

http://www.amazon.com/NCLEX-RN-Questions-Answers-Made-Incredibly/dp/1608312917/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I used that, it's nothing but questions and rationales. Granted, only thing I did was do one of the many comprehensive tests in the back of the book and then spend an hour or two touching up on areas where I felt I might be weak in other places in the book. But, in terms of questions, that's all it is. Left side questions, right side answers and rationales on each page.

Also, don't forget about this handy resource from allnurses: http://allnurses.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8697&d=1310274877

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Dr. Capco posted:

Anybody have any other recommendations for NCLEX books or question banks I can use? I have the Kaplan and the Lacharity Prioritization book, but I don't test for another 3 weeks and I'd like to have a couple more sets of questions to practice with before I test.

loving NCLEX

The book I primarily studied from was the Pearson book. It's by the same people who create the NCLEX so I figured the questions must be pretty similar.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Dr. Capco posted:

loving NCLEX

Relax. You're already using two different sources to study, you don't need a third. You only have three weeks to study, don't stress yourself out by taking on a third resource.

I swear by Kaplan. They have about a billion questions in their online question bank, if you focus on those and look at the reasons why an answer is correct/incorrect, you'll be fine. I found it was more helpful to take the short exams and then look at the reasoning behind the questions and the answers. You'll be especially fine if you've been studying two different sources for questions.

Finding a third source to study from is overkill, honestly. Unless you're seriously struggling with the question formatting, don't waste your money, time, and sanity getting yet another resource to study from.

---

In other news, I had my very first patient death tonight. I was floated to hospice so it wasn't unexpected, but it is still sad. :(

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Yeah I looked around and I didn't want to spend 40 bucks on another book since they're all kind of the same thing I realized. I have the Kaplan book and it has a lot of good questions and strategies in it, so I'll just stick with that and the other book for now. Thanks goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."

Sheep-Goats posted:

Many hospitals won't take CNAs who don't have experience -- many CNAs start off working for agencies which means in nursing homes. But you can get lucky.

Ah- the only experience I have is my mother who worked as a CNA at a hospital. She didn't have any prior experience, but maybe she just got lucky.

and yeah to the other dude who wants to take CNA classes, mine are only like 735~ or so.