Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Atasi posted:

There's not a way to fix it, but I've done some testing and I think I figured out what's going on. Right now iTunes uses an explicit tag that it puts in the MPEG-4 metadata, but the iTunes interface doesn't expose that metadata to change. In cases where there is only an explicit version of the song, this isn't a problem; but when they are both available, iTunes picks the one that does not have the explicit tag since it matches more closely.
But I thought Apple were using Lala's audio analysis stuff rather than relying on metadata. So surely the version with the correct lyrics will match closer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Cerv posted:

But I thought Apple were using Lala's audio analysis stuff rather than relying on metadata. So surely the version with the correct lyrics will match closer.

Yeah, it's based on Lala's system, but I don't think that really makes it any easier to fix. I would have to think the difference between the waveform of the clean version and the explicit version of a song is extremely small. I'm pretty sure that iTunes Match is only scanning a portion of the file or it would take a long, long time to scan your library. Detecting such minor differences between the clean and explicit versions, and then identifying the correct version has to be a nightmare.

Of course this is just my non-expert speculation, so don't take it as gospel.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Why does Sound Check just not loving work? I have to adjust the volume on basically every single different track when I'm listening, it's really goddamn annoying. I have it enabled in iTunes and on my iPhone.

It wouldn't be bad, but Matched songs end up being really loving loud while whatever songs are synched to my phone are much more quiet.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Why does Sound Check just not loving work? I have to adjust the volume on basically every single different track when I'm listening, it's really goddamn annoying. I have it enabled in iTunes and on my iPhone.

It wouldn't be bad, but Matched songs end up being really loving loud while whatever songs are synched to my phone are much more quiet.

Do your songs have a volume adjustment tag? Look for a dB value in Get Info. Mine managed to get into iTunes without getting Sound Checked, so I had to use a third party program to add it. Check out iVolume.

They need that tag otherwise iTunes just plays them at default volume.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
I have a question about iTunes that I am hoping someone can answer or point me in the right direction. Currently, my music collection is store in a directory on one of the hard drives in my PC. It is located at F:\Music and I need to move that entire directory to another drive (which it will then permanently reside on E:\FTP\Music). My question is this; How do I go about moving the music directory in a manner that won't gently caress up iTunes and all of my playlists? I have iTunes set to allow it to keep my media folder organized, but it does not copy the files to the iTunes directory. Ideally, I just want to move the directory and then have iTunes recognize that it has been moved, or tell it to no longer look in F:\Music but instead E:\FTP\Music.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Mr. Bonky posted:

So I came to this thread hoping my playlist woes would be answered using iTunes match. Apparently I'm not the only one having a problem. I just want to be able to see what I've recently added to iTunes and play it on my iPhone when I'm on the go. :(

I've noticed some smart playlists functions work and some do not. Get creative and maybe you can make it work. Maybe not...

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Huge_Midget posted:

I have a question about iTunes that I am hoping someone can answer or point me in the right direction. Currently, my music collection is store in a directory on one of the hard drives in my PC. It is located at F:\Music and I need to move that entire directory to another drive (which it will then permanently reside on E:\FTP\Music). My question is this; How do I go about moving the music directory in a manner that won't gently caress up iTunes and all of my playlists? I have iTunes set to allow it to keep my media folder organized, but it does not copy the files to the iTunes directory. Ideally, I just want to move the directory and then have iTunes recognize that it has been moved, or tell it to no longer look in F:\Music but instead E:\FTP\Music.

On a mac you move the folder with iTunes closed, and then open iTunes while holding down the option key.. I bet on windows you can hold down either alt or control. Anyway, when you hold that down iTunes will ask you where the iTunes library is, navigate to it and you should be done.

BTW, I'm assuming F:\Music is your entire iTunes library including all the xml files and crap...

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

echobucket posted:

On a mac you move the folder with iTunes closed, and then open iTunes while holding down the option key.. I bet on windows you can hold down either alt or control. Anyway, when you hold that down iTunes will ask you where the iTunes library is, navigate to it and you should be done.

BTW, I'm assuming F:\Music is your entire iTunes library including all the xml files and crap...

No, actually my iTunes directory is in C:\Users\MYNAME\Music\iTunes. That's where all the xml crap and Apps and playlists are stored at. And this is my problem I think. I am on a PC btw if that helps.

Jamwillinob
Jun 26, 2009

Huge_Midget posted:

No, actually my iTunes directory is in C:\Users\MYNAME\Music\iTunes. That's where all the xml crap and Apps and playlists are stored at. And this is my problem I think. I am on a PC btw if that helps.

Under Advanced in preferences there should be an option for iTunes media folder location. I think this should let you do what you want, just copy the folder to E:\FTP\Music and then set the media folder location to that.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Huge_Midget posted:

I don't know if this is the best/correct way to do it, but when I moved my music folder I just moved the files and when I tried to play a song it showed my songs with an exclamation mark and popped up that 'song not found' dialog and asked if I wanted to locate it. Chose 'Yes', pointed it to the file in it's new location and after a bit of churning iTunes had automatically located ALL my songs.

Was actually surprised it worked out that well, because the moving was a bit... unscheduled.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Huge_Midget posted:

Yeah, and this is why the thread title is what it is.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Sprat Sandwich posted:

I don't know if this is the best/correct way to do it, but when I moved my music folder I just moved the files and when I tried to play a song it showed my songs with an exclamation mark and popped up that 'song not found' dialog and asked if I wanted to locate it. Chose 'Yes', pointed it to the file in it's new location and after a bit of churning iTunes had automatically located ALL my songs.

Was actually surprised it worked out that well, because the moving was a bit... unscheduled.

I have way too much music, plus it is nested in folders and subfolders based on genre, artist name, etc. Is there some file I can do a Find and Replace to change just the root folder path from the original to the new location? I loving hate the way iTunes makes you jump through so many bullshit hoops to make your music collection compatible.

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004
I'm having a weird problem and I'm not sure if it's iTunes-related or something else.

I have an iPhone 4s. Two albums in particular that I've copied over to it so far, despite being tagged correctly, are showing up as "Unknown Artist" on the iPhone. Previously, they did not show up under "Artists" at all - to listen to those albums I had to browse through "Album" (where the album name shows up, but is still listed as being by "Unknown Artist".

The weird thing, after updating iTunes to the latest version and re-syncing my iPhone (I manage all my music manually, but sync Podcasts etc), there are now entries under the appropriate letter subheading under "artists", however it's still Unknown.

For instance, I have an album by a band called Graveyard. I scroll down to "G" under "Artists", and there is 1x entry under "G" called "Unknown". You select that, and it properly displays the album and correct track listing. Strangely enough, when it's playing, it shows up correctly as "Graveyard", yet in the menu it shows up as "Unknown", but under the "G" subheading! What the gently caress!?

I've checked the tags. There's definitely "Graveyard" in the Artist field for all files, and absolutely no mention of "Unknown Artist" or anything at all.

This is so loving bizarre. It knows the artist name - it sorts it properly, it just doesn't display the correct artist name in the Artists menu.

Anyone run into this at all?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Huge_Midget posted:

I have way too much music, plus it is nested in folders and subfolders based on genre, artist name, etc. Is there some file I can do a Find and Replace to change just the root folder path from the original to the new location? I loving hate the way iTunes makes you jump through so many bullshit hoops to make your music collection compatible.

Yeah, I had my stuff in standard iTunes folder format (Artist\Abum) and it worked.

itsfv might help you. It can recheck your library - you add the new folder as a source under options and validate. It can take a bit of testing to see what settings you have to use, but it should work.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Cathab posted:

I'm having a weird problem and I'm not sure if it's iTunes-related or something else.
First thing I would do is, on your phone, go to Settings - Music and see if "Group by Album Artist" is on. If so, slide it off.

Cathab
Mar 3, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

First thing I would do is, on your phone, go to Settings - Music and see if "Group by Album Artist" is on. If so, slide it off.

All fixed! You are a wonderful sonofabitch. Thanks!

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Yeah, I had my stuff in standard iTunes folder format (Artist\Abum) and it worked.

itsfv might help you. It can recheck your library - you add the new folder as a source under options and validate. It can take a bit of testing to see what settings you have to use, but it should work.

Can you be a little more specific on how to do this? I'm trying hard not to screw things up and this program seems promising.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
As bad as the whole "songs are uploaded even though the rest of the album it's on is matched" thing is, the worst offense of Match has to be that iTunes only has the stereo versions of The Beatles catalog

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Huge_Midget posted:

Can you be a little more specific on how to do this? I'm trying hard not to screw things up and this program seems promising.

I don't actually know (sorry), I only used it to embed artwork and track number.

I also don't know how it would deal with your folder structure, like I said I used the usual iTunes one.

Have you tried using the 'Add to library' option and pointing it to your music folder? If you get duplicates then just sort by 'Date added' and delete the music added previously, keeping only the new ones.

E - Using itsfv - although I'm not on a Windows machine, so I don't know if everything is correct, I think this could work - go to options and somewhere you can select your music folders. Add your folder there (the iTunes folder should be somewhere there, too), it (I think) will say something about your music not being in the iTunes Media folder, tell it to gently caress off. Then on the first page press 'Validate' (actually this might be the place where it whines about the Media folder). You might want to uncheck some things you don't want it to do, like lyrics cause that takes a stupid long time for the whole library.

I hope you backed up your iTunes library file before, though.

Sprat Sandwich fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 17, 2012

fleur_de_leet
Jun 8, 2005

All the pale things under the earth
Will reverse
So at some point I must have accidentally started downloading some TV show sampler pack. I don't want these shows but every time I open iTunes the bloody things start downloading again. I can't find anywhere to just purge these from downloading; any suggestions?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

So I saw in the OP that it has some tips for moving iTunes to a new computer, but I'm actually thinking of moving it to a removable hard drive on the same computer. The reason I'm wary is that because, even with Windows 7, it likes to keep stuff in the registry. So I don't want to move all this stuff I've bought and then have iTunes still think that everything is on the C: drive. Anyone know if this is usually feasible, or am I going to have to go manually deleting registry entries?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

You can move it there and it won't be a problem at all. If you try to play it and the drive isn't there, you get an alert saying "hey, the file is gone". You plug in the drive, and it plays like it always did.

Your library files and stuff stay in your "My Music" folder, but the actual media gets moved to the removable.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

That's good to know, thanks!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Is there any way to tell iTunes to go out and find album artwork, but to *not overwrite* existing album artwork?

'cause I don't know exactly what's broken, but there's sure something hosed up. I've got a lot of songs missing album artwork, and when I tell iTunes to go ahead and find it, it finds the *wrong* artwork for plenty of songs that I've already got the right artwork for, and which are quite clearly and distinctly tagged with the correct artist and album information.

And it doesn't even do that for every song on the album. Example: Springsteen's _Greetings from Asbury Park, NJ_. Every song is tagged. I had the correct album artwork for all the songs. Then the last time iTunes went out to fetch album art, it changed the artwork every song on that album *except the first track* to some greatest hits collection cover. I can't figure out why it's behaving that way, it didn't use to do this a few versions ago.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
my probably lovely way to fix missing album artwork is to go out and just grab the image, and save it in the folder with the music......then go into itunes, select all the songs for that album and point it to the image.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Keyser S0ze posted:

my probably lovely way to fix missing album artwork is to go out and just grab the image, and save it in the folder with the music......then go into itunes, select all the songs for that album and point it to the image.

You don't need to save the image to do this. You can just copy right from your browser and paste it into iTunes.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Hm, at some point in the past when iTunes asked if I wanted to transfer my iPhone purchases to my library I think I clicked "Don't ask me again". I assumed that meant, don't ask me again and keep transferring but nope! After restoring a phone, I've lost a bunch of poo poo that didn't transfer (and it doesn't even look like I can redownload the two ringtones I paid for).

Anyways, I can't find a way to bring that dialog box back when plugging in my phone - anyone know how?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Less Fat Luke posted:

Anyways, I can't find a way to bring that dialog box back when plugging in my phone - anyone know how?
Edit - Preferences - Advanced tab - click the "Reset Warnings" button.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Edit - Preferences - Advanced tab - click the "Reset Warnings" button.
gently caress yeah, thanks!

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Diabolik900 posted:

You don't need to save the image to do this. You can just copy right from your browser and paste it into iTunes.

excellent thank you

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I have a question about iTunes Match. Sorry if there's an FAQ somewhere.

I've been wondering how much control I have over what stays on my phone.

I just made a smart playlist of checked songs. Does itunes match let me sync that playlist up and maintain all of my other playlists? How do I keep songs from being automatically removed from my device?

Can I still manage everything using checks, but have access to all the other songs in my library in case I want them?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

tuyop posted:

I just made a smart playlist of checked songs. Does itunes match let me sync that playlist up and maintain all of my other playlists? How do I keep songs from being automatically removed from my device?

Can I still manage everything using checks, but have access to all the other songs in my library in case I want them?

I've never used the checks in iTunes for anything, so maybe they behave differently, but in my experience, all your music is deleted from your phone, and the library is replaced with a "list" of what is in iTunes Match/iCloud. The playlist you're referring to will be on there, but I find playlists on iPhones to be pretty worthless.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Toe Rag posted:

I've never used the checks in iTunes for anything, so maybe they behave differently, but in my experience, all your music is deleted from your phone, and the library is replaced with a "list" of what is in iTunes Match/iCloud. The playlist you're referring to will be on there, but I find playlists on iPhones to be pretty worthless.

Don't you tap those playlists or songs to store them locally? I don't want to have to use 3mb of data every time I listen to a song.

I guess I mean that I'd like to store my checked songs locally. And I use the playlists on my phone because I have like 90gb of music and only 32gb on my phone...

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
When you enable iTunes match on your device, it will erase all the music currently on that device.

iTunes Match doesn't work with Smart Playlists that reference other playlists.

As to downloading every time, here's how it works on my iPad:

In the Music app, I'll tap the Playlists button, which shows all the playlists iCloud knows about. When I tap a playlist, the screen changes to show all the songs in that playlist. To the right of each song, there is a cloud icon. Tapping that downloads the song (and removes the cloud icon). At the bottom of the screen there is a "Download all" button, which does what it says.

The songs of the playlist now reside on my iPad. How long they'll stay there, I don't know. At least a few weeks, if I don't download any more songs. I assume it's tied to the amount of free memory somehow, but that's just a guess.

Once downloaded, there is nothing on the playlist screen that shows it's downloaded. However, in the Album view, if all songs from an album are downloaded there will be no cloud icon by the album name.

But, if you go into Settings - Music, there is a slider labelled "Show All Music". If you toggle it off, the Music app will only display music that's loaded onto your device -- except for the playlists. It'll still show all your iCloud playlists. In Song, Artist, or Album view, it'll only show what's loaded on your device.

Clear as mud?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

When you enable iTunes match on your device, it will erase all the music currently on that device.

iTunes Match doesn't work with Smart Playlists that reference other playlists.

As to downloading every time, here's how it works on my iPad:

In the Music app, I'll tap the Playlists button, which shows all the playlists iCloud knows about. When I tap a playlist, the screen changes to show all the songs in that playlist. To the right of each song, there is a cloud icon. Tapping that downloads the song (and removes the cloud icon). At the bottom of the screen there is a "Download all" button, which does what it says.

The songs of the playlist now reside on my iPad. How long they'll stay there, I don't know. At least a few weeks, if I don't download any more songs. I assume it's tied to the amount of free memory somehow, but that's just a guess.

Once downloaded, there is nothing on the playlist screen that shows it's downloaded. However, in the Album view, if all songs from an album are downloaded there will be no cloud icon by the album name.

But, if you go into Settings - Music, there is a slider labelled "Show All Music". If you toggle it off, the Music app will only display music that's loaded onto your device -- except for the playlists. It'll still show all your iCloud playlists. In Song, Artist, or Album view, it'll only show what's loaded on your device.

Clear as mud?

Yeah thanks, it doesn't sound like a service that really does what I want. I think I'll pass.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
You will download the songs the first time and then when you run out of space it will delete the ones that you've listened to least recently. It seems like it would basically do the checking off for you, in other words.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't remember my phone deleting anything when I turned on Match. It had an ominous-sounding message that sounded like it was going to do that though.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

tuyop posted:

Just to correct, iTunes match doesn't overwrite what's on the iPhone (despite what the warning implies!): any music previously synced is still there.

So here's what I did. Synched my "must have" bands (Radiohead hurr hurr) onto the iPhone via smart playlists with iTunes match off.

Then I turned on iTunes match. The stuff I synched previously is still there, but now all the other playlists synced and if I feel the urge to listen to something else I just download the album. As long as "show all music" is off, you don't need to worry about accidentally gobbling down data while shuffling through a playlist.

Sadly, once iTunes Match is on, on the phone, all the music management is handled through iTunes Match. You can turn it off though.

If there's one thing I really want in iTunes match, its the ability to override iTunes match and let me synch with iTunes normally without having to turn iTunes match on and off. Turning off iTunes match, I lose all my playlists on the phone, and turning on iTunes match seems to take the better part of an hour AND it gibbles all the album art on the phone.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with how the service works once I got my "must haves" on the phone, I like being able to just grab albums from my library on a whim. That said, I don't really know what apple was thinking with how the iPhone currently handles iTunes match, not everyone has unlimited data plans or easy access to WiFi wherever they are.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 22, 2012

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

You will download the songs the first time and then when you run out of space it will delete the ones that you've listened to least recently. It seems like it would basically do the checking off for you, in other words.
Are you sure it auto-deletes old tracks? I've never seen anything that says that. Genuinely curious, if it does then I'd love to know so I can stop deleting albums once I've listened to them to save space. Wish there was an easy way to view all the music currently loaded on the phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

TACD posted:

Wish there was an easy way to view all the music currently loaded on the phone.
You could turn off "Show all music".