Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I saw that but I still don't know too much about how common it is, experiences, etc.

My group (admittedly pretty big - all 69 of us made it all the way through PST and beyond) included four couples. They all knew each other before we even got on the plane.

Honestly, in some ways I get the feeling that PC prefers serving couples over long-distance relationships. It's much easier for a person to have their main support system living with them rather than in a different continent.

CHARLES posted:

So I recently found out that I have TB (It's very WTF.) I'm currently treating it and it will be resolved just after I apply this summer, but does anyone know if that might effect my application?

That might be a problem. Some countries are more paranoid than others about not allowing anyone who's had TB inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

CHARLES posted:

So I recently found out that I have TB (It's very WTF.) I'm currently treating it and it will be resolved just after I apply this summer, but does anyone know if that might effect my application?

I'm pretty sure that one person in my group has TB from prior work and she managed to get through okay.

Seeing the Zambia poster reminded me about this recent PC blog from an RPCV from there who contracted HIV. It's definitely worth a read
http://nogoingback-thereisonlyforward.blogspot.com/

also: could someone edit my status in the op, i'm actually 2010-2012. Can't believe it's only 7 more months here. That's like no time at all!

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Grimson posted:

also: could someone edit my status in the op, i'm actually 2010-2012. Can't believe it's only 7 more months here. That's like no time at all!

Oh yeah, I might as well go on there too. I'm a 2011-2013 in PC Ethiopia and another IT goon.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

CHARLES posted:

I don't know how much the recent nature of the condition will affect your chances, but I had to take the meds for TB 2 or 3 years before my application and I was fine. Since I had a positive PPD, they just asked for a chest x-ray to ensure that there was no infection and that was that.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Updated the OP. If you see something that needs to be changed, let me know. I'm too lazy to go digging through the thread, although I'll probably start changing the 2011's to RPCV's.

Pocket DeSade
Jan 28, 2010

Sucks, like a Baltic squid.

Moon Slayer posted:

Updated the OP. If you see something that needs to be changed, let me know. I'm too lazy to go digging through the thread, although I'll probably start changing the 2011's to RPCV's.

Oh! If you could list me as serving in Ukraine, 2011-2013 TEFL that'd be swell!

Pocket DeSade fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 13, 2012

Stuntcat
Oct 12, 2004
^_^
And me as 2011-2013 Republic of Georgia, that would be awesome.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Me as well, please. Zambia 2012-2014

Ronald Spiers
Oct 25, 2003
Soldier
How long should an invitation kit take to reach someone? It has been five days... I'm getting anxious.

edit: Got my invitation kit today! Looks like I'll be in China from 2012 to 2014!

Ronald Spiers fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jan 18, 2012

barbudo
Nov 8, 2010
WHO VOLUNTARILY GOES DAYS WITHOUT A SHOWER FOR NO REASON? DIS GUY

PLEASE SHOWER YOU GROSS FUCK
hey- anybody with, know anything about, or know anyone with peace corps honduras? doing a story on honduras and would like some background. PM me or post a good goon-proof e-mail. thanks in advance guys!

Darfuri War Orphan
Feb 28, 2006

My, Earth really is full of things!

Ronald Spiers posted:

How long should an invitation kit take to reach someone? It has been five days... I'm getting anxious.

edit: Got my invitation kit today! Looks like I'll be in China from 2012 to 2014!

Nice! I was notified of my invite a little over a week ago but still haven't gotten anything in the mail. Here's hoping for tomorrow!

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

I'm getting ready to go to Ukraine, so I guess you can add me to the PCV list.

I have a question for any current or returned PCV, when did they finalize your travel plans? I just have a paper saying my orientation starts March 12th (subject to change), but they still haven't said where it is or how I'm getting there.

Pocket DeSade
Jan 28, 2010

Mu Cow posted:

I'm getting ready to go to Ukraine, so I guess you can add me to the PCV list.

I have a question for any current or returned PCV, when did they finalize your travel plans? I just have a paper saying my orientation starts March 12th (subject to change), but they still haven't said where it is or how I'm getting there.

I think like a month or so before you're gonna depart, you'll get a call where they'll finalize travel plans, find a way for you to get to staging, etc.

And oo, finally another goon going to Ukraine!!! It's like the largest PC posting, yet there's no goons there it seems!!!

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Pocket DeSade posted:

I think like a month or so before you're gonna depart, you'll get a call where they'll finalize travel plans, find a way for you to get to staging, etc.

And oo, finally another goon going to Ukraine!!! It's like the largest PC posting, yet there's no goons there it seems!!!

I was wondering about that, I didn't see anyone else listed in the OP for Ukraine.

Intriguingly, I've been doing the MI program at the University of Denver and every single one of us so far have ended up in Eastern Europe.

Stuntcat
Oct 12, 2004
^_^
I was going to be in Ukraine but missed the med deadline so I got shifted to Georgia.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I finally got my second set of medical stuff sent in. I'm supposed to be in a April-June group, so hopefully I will hear back from them soon. If I don't get in, I have no idea how I'm supposed to find an internship on this short notice. :ohdear:

Stoner Boner
Sep 29, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I just got back from Kazakhstan, as a Kaz-22. Our program was suspended for a number of reasons, but publicly due to a rise in sexual assaults against volunteers. And other safety issues.

Has anyone been evacuated? I feel so out of place back home and I would really love to be in my little village again...

Stuntcat
Oct 12, 2004
^_^

Slaan posted:

I finally got my second set of medical stuff sent in. I'm supposed to be in a April-June group, so hopefully I will hear back from them soon. If I don't get in, I have no idea how I'm supposed to find an internship on this short notice. :ohdear:

Don't worry, really - they told me as soon as they knew I couldn't make it, and although they were like "IT MAY TAKE MONTHS TO FIND YOU ANOTHER POSTING" it took literally a week and a half, and I actually left like...tops half a month later.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Stoner Boner posted:

I just got back from Kazakhstan, as a Kaz-22. Our program was suspended for a number of reasons, but publicly due to a rise in sexual assaults against volunteers. And other safety issues.

Has anyone been evacuated? I feel so out of place back home and I would really love to be in my little village again...

I heard about that shutting down -- is there anything more you can say publicly/anonymously?

Ronald Spiers
Oct 25, 2003
Soldier

Stoner Boner posted:

Darn shame about Kazakhstan. I was hoping to visit the country when I got vacation time during my Peace Corps service. It seems like PC encourages folks to use their vacation time somewhere within the vicinity of their host country and where PC has a presence. At least that is the vibe I got when reading the literature PC sent me.

Pocket DeSade
Jan 28, 2010

Ronald Spiers posted:

Darn shame about Kazakhstan. I was hoping to visit the country when I got vacation time during my Peace Corps service. It seems like PC encourages folks to use their vacation time somewhere within the vicinity of their host country and where PC has a presence. At least that is the vibe I got when reading the literature PC sent me.

Oh yeah, because when we inevitably get into some crazy poo poo in another country, and get locked up, it helps to already have a SSO who's chummy with the local law enforcement. lol

Darfuri War Orphan
Feb 28, 2006

My, Earth really is full of things!
Dearest Moon Slayer,

Slap me down for Mongolia 2012-2014 in the OP. I can only hope that one of my English students will one day be the next Great Khan.

Cheers,
Darfuri War Orphan

Private Label
Feb 25, 2005

Encapsulate the spirit of melancholy. Easy. BOOM. A sad desk. BOOM. Sad wall. It's art. Anything is anything.

Darfuri War Orphan posted:

Dearest Moon Slayer,

Slap me down for Mongolia 2012-2014 in the OP. I can only hope that one of my English students will one day be the next Great Khan.

Cheers,
Darfuri War Orphan

Whoo!! Another Mongolia PCV :) I'll be leaving in August (M21 here... 2010-2012), unless I decide to stay another year... I'm really not sure yet.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

What. The. gently caress. Peace Corps!?

So they wanted me to send them extra information on a few things for the medical process. Ok, fine. I wrote about my medical history for a tonsilectomy and mole removal, as well as a couple moderate digestion problems. They take the tonsilectomy and digestion problems without batting an eyelash, but they want me to get my dermatologist to sign off on the mole removal even though I told them it was completely negative on everything?

Priorities here, Peace Corps. I doubt a mole is a bigger problem than loving eating troubles. If anything is making me want to quit its the bloody medical process.

Pocket DeSade
Jan 28, 2010

Slaan posted:

Priorities here, Peace Corps. I doubt a mole is a bigger problem than loving eating troubles. If anything is making me want to quit its the bloody medical process.

There's going to be a lot more, bigger, hurdles than this in the Peace Corps, both in application process, and service itself. You're realllly gonna love it if you keep going.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Oh, I know. This is just the third 'extra explanation' letter they've sent me, and I've starting to get fatigued. And since I'm doing Master's International, I have to leave June/July at the latest. All my other colleagues have gotten their placements already.

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Slaan posted:

Oh, I know. This is just the third 'extra explanation' letter they've sent me, and I've starting to get fatigued. And since I'm doing Master's International, I have to leave June/July at the latest. All my other colleagues have gotten their placements already.

I had a similar situation with the medical process. The first doctor I visited made a mess of my physical, so I had to do another thyroid test, and because I had to do another, it made somebody in the medical office think there was something wrong, so I was constantly asked to do more tests. It was frustrating as it seemed there was no way to prove I was healthy.

I came very close to dropping out of the MI program, but eventually they gave in. It helped that I had a lot of time before I was planning to leave, so I had time to cool off after each letter from the medical office before responding. It took nearly a year for me to get medical approval.

Is there any particular reason you can't delay starting the Peace Corps? I was supposed to start last summer, but got a scholarship to do research in Estonia, so I pushed back my start date to March 2012.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

No, no particular reason to leave then. Its just that I would rather finish my service and my final semester earlier rather than later. If I start in May/June then the timing should be able to get me back for the Fall semester once I'm done.

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Slaan posted:

No, no particular reason to leave then. Its just that I would rather finish my service and my final semester earlier rather than later. If I start in May/June then the timing should be able to get me back for the Fall semester once I'm done.

That's interesting. All I have to do is turn in a paper after I finish Peace Corps, so it doesn't matter when I return. I've been told that MI students at my university are invited to come back in order to finish their papers, but not a single one has. Most finish the paper while their still in the Peace Corps.

What are you studying? I'm in international studies at the University of Denver.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

International development at the School of Public and Environmental Affairs at Indiana University. How it works here is that you do 2 semesters, then your Peace Corps service, and then one more semester plus presenting your thesis paper which is based on your service. I get one semester less of classes and a TA position in exchange for the paper and Peace Corps service. So if I return in like September, then I'd have to wait a good 8 months to graduate instead of just the 4 for the semester.

vvv Nope, all of us are Food/Environment guys

Slaan fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 30, 2012

Pieter de Hooch
Feb 16, 2006
Call me de Hooch bag

Moon Slayer posted:

Kenya 2010-2012 here.

Stoner Boner posted:

Sorry, or as we say in Kenya, pole. We're having our own drama here with Al-Shabaab and a potential second round of political violence. I'm terrified of going back early and I can only imagine how you feel.

Slaan posted:

Any of your colleagues coming my way? We'll get a group of Public Health volunteers around that time.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Woohoo, finally let me through medical.

My reward? More forms and bureacracy! :suicide:

i see things
Dec 26, 2008
I just had my interview. I actually had applied to the Peace Corps in the past and had to drop out of the process due to school-related things after being nominated. That first time, I was nominated immediately after the interview.

The second time I was not nominated after the interview. My slated time to leave isn't until February of 2013, so I was thinking maybe this had something to do with it. Is there cause for concern or am I just being paranoid? What were your experiences with time between interview and nomination?

Monkey Fury
Jul 10, 2001
Sort of related to the above, how long does it typically take between sending in your agency check, fingerprints, etc until you get an interview?

Patience and flexibility...

Private Label
Feb 25, 2005

Encapsulate the spirit of melancholy. Easy. BOOM. A sad desk. BOOM. Sad wall. It's art. Anything is anything.

Monkey Fury posted:

Sort of related to the above, how long does it typically take between sending in your agency check, fingerprints, etc until you get an interview?

Patience and flexibility...

I think it all depends of your situation. The time from my application stuff to interview was 3 months or so, IIRC. In response to I See Things, I think the delay is caused by a bunch more people applying to Peace Corps than before. Maybe that's not true, but it's my best guess.

So I've decided to apply for a 3rd year and PCVL. I may be crazy, but I found a really good 3rd year HCA in the capital who all speak English and want to work with me. :dance:

Ronald Spiers
Oct 25, 2003
Soldier

Private Label posted:

So I've decided to apply for a 3rd year and PCVL. I may be crazy, but I found a really good 3rd year HCA in the capital who all speak English and want to work with me. :dance:

Can you elaborate more about PCVLs? What are some of the responsibilities and how prevalent are they?

edit: Yikes, look like my future host country is having some politically sensitive issues going on... self-immolations and the forced "vacation-style treatment" of a prominent ex-police chief and vice-mayor of a metropolitan city... I hope this doesn't affect my assignment.

Ronald Spiers fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Feb 10, 2012

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

i see things posted:

The second time I was not nominated after the interview. My slated time to leave isn't until February of 2013, so I was thinking maybe this had something to do with it. Is there cause for concern or am I just being paranoid? What were your experiences with time between interview and nomination?

They've done some revamping of their assignments recently due to an increase in applicants and demands for volunteers with specific skills from host countries. A few people I knew who were supposed to start in Summer 2011 had their assignments pushed back to Winter 2012. They may still have a backlog of volunteers to assign.

Private Label
Feb 25, 2005

Ronald Spiers posted:

Can you elaborate more about PCVLs? What are some of the responsibilities and how prevalent are they?

PCVLs do a lot of helping around the PC office, help with trainings, do the weekly updates (does everyone have these? ours are through email because most volunteers have access) and mentor the newbies. I'll be working with a different HCA (host country agency) than I did the past 2 years.

My CD sent this in the application email, which is way more comprehensive than the above: The support a PCVL provides includes technical support to volunteers, as well as personal support based on one’s own experience as a volunteer. Volunteer support may include technical guidance to volunteers in their primary assignment areas, guidance writing proposals, assisting with identifying and creating resources for PCV’s work, participating in trainings, and other activities as needed. A PCVL’s role in assisting staff may include developing workshop modules, overseeing technical and logistical aspects of trainings, and keeping staff up-to-date on volunteer issues as they may arise. Other PCVL responsibilities include managing the weekly up-dates as well as the enhanced weekly up-date (a larger collection of articles) produced monthly, working with the Volunteer Advisory Council (VAC), and coordinating the bi-annual VAC meetings.

As for the prevalence... I'm not sure. We've always had 3 PCVLs each year, but I know our CD has wanted to up that. How many do other people have?

Monkey Fury
Jul 10, 2001

Mu Cow posted:

They've done some revamping of their assignments recently due to an increase in applicants and demands for volunteers with specific skills from host countries. A few people I knew who were supposed to start in Summer 2011 had their assignments pushed back to Winter 2012. They may still have a backlog of volunteers to assign.

I had my interview last week, and my recruiter pretty much said that unless you're going to do agriculture or forestry work, there weren't any spots to fill until next year.

I guess I'm in "ready to nominate" limbo with some other people, and we're stuck there until he finds out what/where he can actually nominate us for this spring.

Otherwise my interview went awesome, he saw no reason I wouldn't eventually get an invite (don't foresee any medical issues), it's just a matter of waiting. And having to find a job in July :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

:woop: I finally got my placement. I don't have the formal papers yet, but the departure date and region, Sub-saharan Africa, seems to indicate Benin. Environmental Education.

• Locked thread