Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

UnbornApple posted:

So before multitasking all the jail breakers wanted apps to enable multitasking...and now that there's multitasking everyone wants to make it single tasking.

:psyduck:

I sometimes like cleaning up anything running before opening up GTA3 or IB2 or anything that's going to eat up all the memory. I usually respring the phone but this seems like a more elegant solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rpop
Dec 17, 2003

noveo@ace

So I've been trying to jailbreak my iPad 2 without any luck yet. Absinthe crashes on OS X & Windows, so I tried the command line version and I get this:
code:
Finding slide...
Generating ROP...
ROP was generated
Uploaded corona/payload
Uploaded corona/payload-vars
Uploaded corona/racoon-exploit.conf
Uploaded corona/vnimage.clean
Uploaded corona/vnimage.overflow
Uploaded corona/vnimage.payload
Uploaded corona/corona.tgz
Uploaded corona/cleanup
Uploaded corona/com.apple.ipsec.plist
Uploaded corona/Cydia.tgz
Uploaded corona/filemover
Uploaded corona/filemover.plist
Uploaded corona/gzip
Uploaded corona/jailbreak
Uploaded corona/jailbreak.mobileconfig
Uploaded corona/jb.plist
Uploaded corona/racoon-exploit-bootstrap.conf
Uploaded corona/tar
Creating backup...
8187 files backed up
Adding custom com.apple.ipsec.plist to backup
Restoring...
recv: Bad file descriptor
FATAL(__LINE__): Assertion failed (1266): got == sizeof(size)
Best suggestion I've found googling that error is to try restoring, which I have and I still get the same result. Anyone else encountered this error/had any better luck with it?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

rpop posted:

So I've been trying to jailbreak my iPad 2 without any luck yet. Absinthe crashes on OS X & Windows, so I tried the command line version and I get this:
code:
Finding slide...
Generating ROP...
ROP was generated
Uploaded corona/payload
Uploaded corona/payload-vars
Uploaded corona/racoon-exploit.conf
Uploaded corona/vnimage.clean
Uploaded corona/vnimage.overflow
Uploaded corona/vnimage.payload
Uploaded corona/corona.tgz
Uploaded corona/cleanup
Uploaded corona/com.apple.ipsec.plist
Uploaded corona/Cydia.tgz
Uploaded corona/filemover
Uploaded corona/filemover.plist
Uploaded corona/gzip
Uploaded corona/jailbreak
Uploaded corona/jailbreak.mobileconfig
Uploaded corona/jb.plist
Uploaded corona/racoon-exploit-bootstrap.conf
Uploaded corona/tar
Creating backup...
8187 files backed up
Adding custom com.apple.ipsec.plist to backup
Restoring...
recv: Bad file descriptor
FATAL(__LINE__): Assertion failed (1266): got == sizeof(size)
Best suggestion I've found googling that error is to try restoring, which I have and I still get the same result. Anyone else encountered this error/had any better luck with it?

I got that error, and a full (factory) reset fixed it. Felt a little drastic, but whatcha gonna do?

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004
Why can't I untick "Encrypt iPad Backup" in iTunes? I've tried deleting the back up and doing it again, but it's always greyed out. I know my password, just have to remove the password to do this jailbreak.

toastR
Mar 15, 2001

to infinity and beyond!

randyest posted:

You mean like "g search_term" for google, "w search_term" for wikipedia, etc? That would be cool especially linked right into the safari address bar. But the closest to that I know of is the selectable search bar in Atomic Browser or iCab browser and maybe some of the other 3rd party browsers like Maven or Sleipnir.

That's it exactly, I know there was a tweak I used before to do this from within spotlight search that also extended to the search bar in Safari but I can't find it anymore.

Those third party browsers you mentioned just feel so slow and clunky to me compared to Safari on the iPad. With the A5 jailbreak, Tab+, and Fullscreen Safari for iPad, the stock browser is almost perfect for my needs. Search keywords would be icing on the cake.

rpop
Dec 17, 2003

noveo@ace

Kakumei posted:

I got that error, and a full (factory) reset fixed it. Felt a little drastic, but whatcha gonna do?
Just tried again, this time setting it up as a new iPad instead of restoring from backup, and still got the same error. Hope they fix it in the future, thanks for your helpful suggestion though :)

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

SynMoo posted:

I see this jailbreak keeps a daemon running, 'absinthed'

Wonder what it's up to.

This by chpwn makes references to absinthed as part of the Siri system. I assume you're on a 4S? I'm going to JB both my 4S and iPad2 and see if it's running on the latter. I presume it won't be unless it's a generic part of the fairplay system.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Speaking of... Any cool JB Apps that make use of Siri or voice at all?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

There's this which I saw come out today, but besides that most of the cool poo poo you can do with Siri involves running a proxy server.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Nam Taf posted:

There's this which I saw come out today, but besides that most of the cool poo poo you can do with Siri involves running a proxy server.

I've used that Hands-Free Control app and it's pretty slick. Worth checking out for those who charge their phone often.

I'm hopeful that since now there's a 4[S] jailbreak we'll be seeing some Siri add-ins that don't require the proxy server.

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 22, 2012

Astroturf Neckbeard
Jan 10, 2007
straight to video
I jailbroke my 4S today (it's on 5.0.1), and I'm probably missing something really obvious, but I just can't seem to SSH into it.

I followed all the steps here, and everything is fine up to step 15. But the "root@(my IP)" window that pops up is blank, it hangs for 20 seconds, then says "Network error: Connection timed out". It always hangs for 20 seconds, even if I set the server response timeout option on the connection tab of the WinSCP login screen to 60 seconds or more.

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing OpenSSH a few times, tried using Cyberduck and WinSCP, tried resetting my iphone's wifi connection a few times, and used MobileTerminal to reset the root password (to make sure it hadn't been changed somehow).

Any ideas or suggestions?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I sometimes like cleaning up anything running before opening up GTA3 or IB2 or anything that's going to eat up all the memory. I usually respring the phone but this seems like a more elegant solution.
You people are insane. The phone itself already closes applications to free more memory when it becomes needed. You're swimming in a sea of placebos.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Cydia is getting hammered right now.

I was just going to ask about this :v:

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Does IntelliscreenX have a built-in VPN toggle does anybody know?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

It's been a while... what is the repository for BiteSMS?

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Was looking for tethering apps in Cydia and found out that PDANet is also on iOS. I also have a license so score! Wait no it's a separate license for Android and iOS.
:negative:

So to ask you guys simply, which one is the better wifi tether app between PDANet or MyWi?

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

A FUCKTON OF WEED posted:

It's been a while... what is the repository for BiteSMS?

Should be http://cydia.bitesms.com

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

diremonk posted:

Should be http://cydia.bitesms.com

Thanks much!

Man Cub
Jan 12, 2004

Come on! I'm the lord and savior! YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO CRUCIFY ME, GOD DAMNIT!

averox posted:

Was looking for tethering apps in Cydia and found out that PDANet is also on iOS. I also have a license so score! Wait no it's a separate license for Android and iOS.
:negative:

So to ask you guys simply, which one is the better wifi tether app between PDANet or MyWi?

TetherMe works perfectly for me.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

coldplay chiptunes posted:

You people are insane. The phone itself already closes applications to free more memory when it becomes needed. You're swimming in a sea of placebos.

I also never unplug my phone when I'm home wanna fight about it? :colbert:

(on the 4 and older models it did help and you could tell loading times were faster and games themselves weren't as choppy after a respring)

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I also never unplug my phone when I'm home wanna fight about it? :colbert:

(on the 4 and older models it did help and you could tell loading times were faster and games themselves weren't as choppy after a respring)
I usually respring before doing something intensive on the phone too-:ssh:

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

So my brother in law has a 3gs that apparently "some guy he knows" jailbroke/unlocked for him, and then he went through and tried to update to iOS 5 and now the phone won't activate (although it looks like it's upgraded)

I've never messed around with iPhone jailbreaking before, but he's asking for help on how to fix it.

Any suggestions for a good place to start? I have no idea what OS version he was on before, how the guy jailbroke/unlocked it or what baseband versions he might have put on the phone, etc.

In shocking news, my brother in law can't in touch with the guy who unlocekd it either, and Apple won't do a phone swap for him, because he put a "non apple" screen on it.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
afaik putting the wrong baseband on a 3GS effectively bricks it, but I'm sure there's more to it than just that.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Re: my Siri JB app question, apparently something called SiriToggles is in its way to Cydia as we speak which will allow app launching and SBSettings style functions (think brightness, etc...)

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

iOS waits too long to close stuff. It's an issue on Android as well (but it's easier to tweak on that OS).
Closing apps manually is a lot better and quicker than rebooting the device, which is the current recommendation from app developers.

Edit:

These WHITE ICONS are driving me loving nuts. Mail randomly turned white while I was in another apps. I resprung (again) and then Maps and Game Center were white.

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 22, 2012

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

toastR posted:

That's it exactly, I know there was a tweak I used before to do this from within spotlight search that also extended to the search bar in Safari but I can't find it anymore.

Those third party browsers you mentioned just feel so slow and clunky to me compared to Safari on the iPad. With the A5 jailbreak, Tab+, and Fullscreen Safari for iPad, the stock browser is almost perfect for my needs. Search keywords would be icing on the cake.
That plus a way to increase text size (not zoom, but reflow larger text) would make me convert back to safari (which is faster) from Atomic/iCab now that I found "fullscreen for iPad/Safari." Having gestures for go to top/bottom of page would be nice too, but that's not as crucial as font size and easy search google / wikii / gis / etc.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Xenomorph posted:

These WHITE ICONS are driving me loving nuts. Mail randomly turned white while I was in another apps. I resprung (again) and then Maps and Game Center were white.

Is it a glitch with the jailbreak itself? Very annoying

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Godinster posted:

None here. I used a (virtual) Mac to jailbreak rather than the Windows method. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.

Godinster posted:

They randomly come and go, and they're not associated with just the PC version too - I did the mac one and get them every so often, but usually I just respring and they go away.

Fizzle
Dec 14, 2006
ZOMG, Where'd my old account go?!?
Any clue how to get the Big Boss repository to actually show files? I know it's probably hammered but I can't remember how to make it refresh..

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I thought 3G Unrestrictor allowed FaceTime. But I can't seem to figure out how to add it.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

afaik putting the wrong baseband on a 3GS effectively bricks it, but I'm sure there's more to it than just that.

I'm guessing that's what happened here, anyone have any advice?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

Buy a new phone.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

maduin posted:

Buy a new phone.

Pretty much. Sounds like your brother-in-law neglected to preserve the baseband when he updated the phone to iOS 5.

Count Vodkula
Jan 4, 2004

Feenix posted:

I thought 3G Unrestrictor allowed FaceTime. But I can't seem to figure out how to add it.

You need to turn 3G unrestrictor on for "MobilePhone (FaceTime)" and then it should work. Took me way too long to find as I was looking under phone and face time.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Maneki Neko posted:

I assume you've tried a "DFU restore"?

Hands-Free Control is amazing, battery life be damned. I can't wait for SiriToggles to appear on Cydia BigBoss.

fake edit: it's there! And free!

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Oneiros posted:

Pretty much. Sounds like your brother-in-law neglected to preserve the baseband when he updated the phone to iOS 5.

Yeah, he had no idea what he was doing, and just did a straight iTunes 5.01 upgrade. Lesson learned for him I guess. :)

We can bypass activation so it basically works as an iPod Touch, but that's about it.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Well, you CAN unlock his 3GS if he's willing to put the iPad baseband on it. Just make a custom IPSW with PwnageTool or sn0wbreeze.

You'll probably lose GPS and rely on cell+Wifi triangulation, and it will void your warranty, but I'd argue that's better than an glorified iPod Touch that Apple are refusing to touch anyway.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 22, 2012

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

randyest posted:

Hands-Free Control is amazing, battery life be damned. I can't wait for SiriToggles to appear on Cydia BigBoss.

fake edit: it's there! And free!
How do you get it to show up? I've refreshed BigBoss and it's still not there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
gently caress iBlacklist. I've probably used it 3 times after buying it in 2010, and now they want a $6 license-transfer fee to destroy my 3GS license and enable it on my 4S.

• Locked thread