Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

VorpalFish posted:

AMD has been kicking rear end for a long, long time now, at least with regards to graphics.

It's funny, because there's truth to it, yet the Steam survey shows NVIDIA ahead in share by a decent margin.

Maybe a lot of people still think it's the drivers :v:

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
How did my comment about the fact that a new Nvidia card being faster than the 7970 isn't a big deal and is just maintaining status quo turn into this?

I am mostly agreed about ATIs driver deficiencies however, especially on the linux side but that's another can of worms.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Man, we have all these opinions and nowhere to put them besides the Internet.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Longinus00 posted:

How did my comment about the fact that a new Nvidia card being faster than the 7970 isn't a big deal and is just maintaining status quo turn into this?

I am mostly agreed about ATIs driver deficiencies however, especially on the linux side but that's another can of worms.

It was 'cause you said "on top" rather than "has the fastest single GPU card."

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Factory Factory posted:

Man, we have all these opinions and nowhere to put them besides the Internet.

The axiom of shooting the bull online has been exposed. :aaaaa:

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Lets not forget Tseng Labs, Diamond Pro, or or

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
PowerVR is in the game, still.

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

What's baffling to me is that there were basically no custom 7970s at CES. AMD must have really rushed this launch if partners are so far behind. I really want to see custom cards after seeing how far my reference design goes with overclocking.

I've been itching to get a 7970, but the reference blowers always seemed way too loud for my taste. Anandtech reviewed the semi-custom XFX 7970, but it didn't impress me that much, especially with it being louder at idle (but much quieter under load). Since nothing was shown at CES, think it'll be a while before the other manufactures will have their custom coolers?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

syzygy86 posted:

Since nothing was shown at CES, think it'll be a while before the other manufactures will have their custom coolers?
Maybe at CeBit in the first week of March?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Who made the Kyro? Or was that a company?

Also, my first graphics card upgrade was a Matrox Millenium to play Simcity 2K :whatup:

Oh and original SLI? 2 Voodoo 2's yeah.... GLQuake 1024x768

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Dogen posted:

Who made the Kyro? Or was that a company?

Also, my first graphics card upgrade was a Matrox Millenium to play Simcity 2K :whatup:

Oh and original SLI? 2 Voodoo 2's yeah.... GLQuake 1024x768
Kyro was a PowerVR part.

My first 3D card was a voodoo banshee. It died and got replace by an abomination that S3 poo poo out. The 3D demo included with the card dragged it down to a slideshow. :effort:

I think XGI attempted to be a thing at one point too with the Volari line. Didn't last long IIRC.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

grumperfish posted:

Kyro was a PowerVR part.

My first 3D card was a voodoo banshee. It died and got replace by an abomination that S3 poo poo out. The 3D demo included with the card dragged it down to a slideshow. :effort:

I think XGI attempted to be a thing at one point too with the Volari line. Didn't last long IIRC.

For some unknown reason to me, before I joined my company, the Volari Z9 was chosen as the GPU for the platform (Single-board PC). Granted they run mostly headless, so maybe it was the cheapest choice or something that could deliver basic VGA output.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

grumperfish posted:

Kyro was a PowerVR part.

oh Banshee

I remember looking at that, and thinking it was poo poo hot, back when I was at school. 2D AND 3D all in one card?

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

grumperfish posted:

Pretty much just gently caress the entire Virge family of chipsets in general

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

Pretty much just gently caress the entire Virge family of chipsets in general

I had an S3 Virge. haha, it sucked.

I actually SOLD it though, so I guess it can't be all bad.

I remember playing Half-Life in software rendering because the card just wouldn't support it. What's the point?

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
The joke at the time was that the S3 ViRGE was the worlds first graphics decelerator, and it was true.

From what I remember, however, the S3 Savage cards were actually pretty decent.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

frumpsnake posted:

The joke at the time was that the S3 ViRGE was the worlds first graphics decelerator, and it was true.

From what I remember, however, the S3 Savage cards were actually pretty decent.

S3TC (texture compression)! They were decent low-end cards that had some driver issues.

They were huge in the consumer PC market and even got used in laptops. If I remember right it was a pain in the dick to deal with in Linux for a long time.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
S3 ViRGE were pretty much good for 2D acceleration only, which used to matter then.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Oh the days of picking out a Matrox 2D card for the ultimate pairing with a Voodoo.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
Those whole days were crazy. No real standards for what feature set a 3D card would need to support, no standard API for coding for them. All the games with lists of what specific cards they'd support. I never had a ViRGE, but my first non-used computer had a Trio64 up until I upgraded to a Matrox Mystique. Which was another one of those "incomplete" 3D cards, but at least came with an optimized version of Mechwarrior 2. Later, the Voodoo 2.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I think every video card maker on the planet had their own optimized version of Mechwarrior 2

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Factory Factory posted:

PowerVR is in the game, still.

In the mobile sector, they practically are the game.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

WhyteRyce posted:

I think every video card maker on the planet had their own optimized version of Mechwarrior 2

Pretty much. But it was one of the rare "free game with video card purchase!" cases that I got much play out of.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
Since we're talking about old cards, some guy on overclockers managed to get his hands on a Voodoo 5 6000 prototype and modded the hell out of it:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=697952

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Holy balls, I've never seen such a setup...

PCIe to AGP, with the greatest 3Dfx card of all time, overclocked... with a 5GHz 2600K.
That's madness, but in the best kind of way.

Edit: wait a minute, he even swapped out the RAM for faster RAM. that is some fierce dedication. Aw, but the AGP adapter goes through PCI first. Wonder if that's hurting it..

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 22, 2012

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001
I FUCKING WASTED 10 HOURS AND $40 TODAY. FUCK YOU FATE AND/OR FORTUNE AND/OR PROBABILITY AND/OR HEISENBURG UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE.

Its a 66mhz PCI slot. Shouldn't be too bad.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

I remember thinking I was pretty hot poo poo as a kid when I took the heatsink for a K6-2 and superglued it with some thermal paste to a Voodoo3 2000, then flashed it to a Voodoo3 3000 clocked at 180Mhz, that lasted me for years

3DFX nostalgia aside, they still pretty much dug their own grave. Their constant safezoning of staying a generation behind in a world where AA and T&L are no longer experimental features just to stay cheap would've guaranteed that Xbox - the video card ©HardOCP - would've flopped hideously. See also: the S3 Savage

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

And in the cruelest tradition of irony, PowerVR's SGX mobile chips absolutely crush the relatively disappointing GeForceULP portion of Tegra 2/3.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Nostrum posted:

And in the cruelest tradition of irony, PowerVR's SGX mobile chips absolutely crush the relatively disappointing GeForceULP portion of Tegra 2/3.

PowerVR saw the light 15 years ago. Everything after that up until now was them just playing possum :ninja:

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 24, 2012

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I remember playing EverQuest on an S3 Virge part back in the days when I had a bunch of low-end video cards. Everything was untextured, shiny white and some polygons were clearly in the wrong place. Kelethin was pretty impossible to navigate, though I should have taken some screenshots of that winter wonderland.

Later I tried EQ on a Savage 4 and some of the textures got severely hosed up, the shopkeeper's face tiled over the wall behind him :gonk:

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

nftyw posted:

I remember playing EverQuest on an S3 Virge part back in the days when I had a bunch of low-end video cards. Everything was untextured, shiny white and some polygons were clearly in the wrong place. Kelethin was pretty impossible to navigate, though I should have taken some screenshots of that winter wonderland.

Later I tried EQ on a Savage 4 and some of the textures got severely hosed up, the shopkeeper's face tiled over the wall behind him :gonk:
Sounds like my first Oblivion experience.

I broke my x850pro days before it came out and ended up having to play the game via Oldblivion (highly unstable shader hack). I'm not sure if the numerous artifacts were from Oldblivion itself, or if it was the 9000pro backup card being extremely overclocked (v1 ultra cooler - hell yeah), but it was like watching a giant spider dance around the screen.

Played the hell out of the game despite it though. :toot:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

grumperfish posted:

Oldblivion (highly unstable shader hack)
Holy poo poo.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Holy poo poo.
It wasn't quite that bad, at least on medium/high settings. Looked more like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK1ykw6qXhk&feature=related

Ran about that speed too.

Fortunately ATI replaced the GPU (this is when they still shipped their own house-branded cards) even though I made it clear that I broke it, so I finally got it back in time for me to get bored of the game.

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

I remember thinking I was pretty hot poo poo as a kid when I took the heatsink for a K6-2 and superglued it with some thermal paste to a Voodoo3 2000, then flashed it to a Voodoo3 3000 clocked at 180Mhz, that lasted me for years

3DFX nostalgia aside, they still pretty much dug their own grave. Their constant safezoning of staying a generation behind in a world where AA and T&L are no longer experimental features just to stay cheap would've guaranteed that Xbox - the video card ©HardOCP - would've flopped hideously. See also: the S3 Savage

3dfx pretty much doomed themselves when they decided they took the utterly retarded decision of making themselves the sole supplier of 3dfx cards and giving away the entire OEM market to Nvidia on a silver platter. Not to mention when TNT1 already had respectable 32-bit color 3D performance and their response was a 16-bit color only Voodoo3 because 16-bit was "good enough" and 32-bit was "too slow".

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
Overclockers.co.uk has posted some benchmarks/info on the 7950 FWIW, $399 price point is not really working for me, 7970 seems to be the right buy still.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18366789

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Holy gently caress AMD clean up your driver releases. As of last week this was the situation:
  • Catalyst 11.12: WHQL-signed release, but AMD said to skip this release in favor of...
  • Catalyst 12.1 Preview: Unsigned driver, but recommended for use by all enthusiasts according to AMD. Released on the same day as Catalyst 11.12.
  • Catalyst 12.1a Preview: Updated version of 12.1 Preview containing better 5800-series Crossfire support, if I remember correctly. Recommended for use by all enthusiasts according to AMD.
  • 8.921.2 RC7 AMD Radeon™ HD 7900 driver: Shipping driver for the 7970. Reports as Catalyst 11.12, you know the one AMD told enthusiasts to skip.
  • 8.921.2 RC11 AMD Radeon™ HD 7900 driver: Updated driver for the 7970. Still reports as Catalyst 11.12, but contains some improvements for BF3 (3%) and a few other games.
As of today's releases, here's where AMD is at:
  • Catalyst 12.1: WHQL-signed release, but AMD said to skip this release in favor of...
  • Catalyst 12.2 Preview: Unsigned driver, but recommended for use by all enthusiasts according to AMD. Released on the same day as Catalyst 12.1.
  • 8.921.2 RC11 AMD Radeon™ HD 7900 driver: Updated driver for the 7970. Still reports as Catalyst 11.12, but contains some improvements for BF3 (3%) and a few other games.
So as a 7970 owner, I'm still stuck using 11.12-based Catalysts. I thought for sure 12.1 would unify the card-specific releases again, but apparently not. Catalyst 12.1 and 12.2 Preview both do not support the 7900 series. I can't wait for the 7950 to land and watch AMD fork it again.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 25, 2012

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
AMD's FY11 earnings report is out, and there will be a company strategy meeting next week.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
Nvidia's started the trash talking already so I guess that must mean there's a sizable number of early adopters jumping ship to 7970. Hopefully by the time the next Fermi comes out (article says March-April timeline) AMDs yield will be good enough for them to start lowering prices.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Longinus00 posted:

Nvidia's started the trash talking already so I guess that must mean there's a sizable number of early adopters jumping ship to 7970. Hopefully by the time the next Fermi comes out (article says March-April timeline) AMDs yield will be good enough for them to start lowering prices.

What a crock. Come on then, show us some Keplers, dammit!

Also, what the gently caress NVIDIA. You essentially skipped 3xx series, now you're skipping 6xx series entirely?
Seems like they've caught the Firefox/Chrome bug where you have to constantly increase the numbers like it gives you personal deep pleasure to see a bigger initial integer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Yeah, but what if they're being completely honest and just don't want a repeat of Fermi where it's totally hand-to-mouth from fab to partners? That's a legitimate reason to not rush to market, especially after the TSMC process problems. ATI has had kind of a hard time getting them out there, too, though obviously they've got every reason to crack whatever kind of whip they can to set up as many people with a 7970 or 7950 as they can before competition for the high end starts in earnest again.

As far as the "we expected more from [this generation of ATI]" bit, treat it like marketing unless you have a vested interest one way or another - but ATI has already proved that you can make a card at least as good as the 7970, there's nothing stopping nVidia from making a better one. Whether they have or not, we'll see. (If they did I am totally buying it)

• Locked thread