Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I dunno, I'm not sure Cheney ever made bush look *good*.

but overstein does rule in a "Nooo stop it you monster!" kind of way.

the fact that he appears to give no fucks and then occasionally gives a gently caress is also cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of watching Gaiden before LoGH proper. There's less jumping around until you get used to the characters, allowing both Reinhardt and Yang to focus on being awesome.

They're also all remastered and they look pretty cool, it looks a lot like the new parts of the zeta gundam movies. The only issue I think is that the slow start of the show proper would be kind of painful.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Uhg. the best intro is the movie that eats up the first two eps. The gaiden are pretty poor compared to the series. In relative terms, anyway. Also, there's really no good rason to want to know about these dude's misadventures when you don't know them at all.

The character designs are crisp but the animation is balls I don't know what you are talking about. The new Zeta animation was loving lush and detailed.

I can't think of a worse way to introduce people to the show than force them to watch some side stories that are slow paced and less interesting on the scale of intergalactic war epic. Unless this is for a rewatch, and then whatever.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The first two movies are pretty much the best introduction; I really can't think of any other way as being better in the long run. The only "problem" is that you should probably start with episode 3 afterwards which I'm betting most people don't.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I just jumped into the main series without bothering with the films. Have I actually missed anything?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The first movie is the pilot! It should be watched.

Second movie is "just" a much nicer version of the first two episodes (better pacing, better animation).

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

The first movie is the pilot! It should be watched.

Second movie is "just" a much nicer version of the first two episodes (better pacing, better animation).

More info. It kind of makes up for how limited the animation is in the first two eps. Then the show more or less gets over that hump shortly after.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

There's way too much mystery-solving in the gaidens. I was really disappointed with Spiral Labyrinth for that reason; I wanted to see some cool Yang stuff and I was wondering how they would do it since he just plays Cassandra until he gets the 13th fleet, and it turns out all he does is solve a bunch of mysteries that have nothing to do with the main plot :sigh:

The Reinhard/Siegfried four episode arcs are cool, when they aren't solving mysteries, but they're far too formulaic to be great. They're all structured the same, with the only difference being rank and scale. I thought it was neat that they found bit parts for all of Reinhard's admirals, except for Muller's being "and his name was Neithart Muller" at the end of the episode. The series is much more organic and fun to watch than the gaidens.

oilatsnep
Sep 5, 2011

Maybe I won't watch the Gaiden series before finishing the main series then :confused:

TheDjinni
Sep 13, 2007
Yeah; they aren't BAD, I think, but are helped by watching the series first

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I guess I cared more about the characters than the plot then.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah watch the gaiden if you wanna see the LoGH guys do scooby doo.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

DamnGlitch posted:

That actually sounds well ace.

Spoilers for the later season 1 episodes:
The way the peaceful protest escalates until Jessica's death and the riot afterwards was painful to watch. I've never seen anything like that in an anime. While it was a real shame to kill off one of the few (the only? I guess there's Frederica Greenhill) female characters in the show, it was a pretty drat effective way to put conflict into context and give it some emotional meaning. Somehow it didn't come across as cynical.

The Annerosebud thing is becoming clearer to me now, but the whole premise of Reinhard's motivation and ambition is made weaker by her lack of character. At the moment it seems more like he's just used the liberation of his sister as a weak excuse for being a power mad poo poo. The vaseline coated montages of their childhood didn't convince me in the slightest.

Does Julian's origin become clearer in later episodes? At the start of the series I thought that perhaps he was just Yang's ward in the old Greek student/mentor way, since the FPA seems to have something of a City States influence to it (democracy, Spartanians etc), but no one else seems to have a Julian equivalent.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Chas McGill posted:

Does Julian's origin become clearer in later episodes? At the start of the series I thought that perhaps he was just Yang's ward in the old Greek student/mentor way, since the FPA seems to have something of a City States influence to it (democracy, Spartanians etc), but no one else seems to have a Julian equivalent.

Julian doesn't have a backstory really, his parents are dead and Cazellnu attaches him to Yang so he can be responsible for something. I think it's just an easy way for Yang to have a "son" without actually having a son, since the theme of SONS MUST DESTROY THEIR FATHERS is so crazy strong. Are there any healthy father/son relationships in LoGH?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Takes No Damage posted:

:3:

"Ah just throw some foreign characters in there, no one will know the difference!"

As the guy with headphones, in a workstation, in a cutter, and has been in situations like these I don't see what is wrong with the third picture. HQ Sectors/Districts sound/type like this in my eyes and queue my chief going "The gently caress is Sectors/Districts thinking?" after I inform the gibberish Sectors/Districts told us.

I think this is the hardest I have ever laughed at anything LOGH.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
OK. So I just watched episode 26.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH SHIIIIIT! I guess I was right in thinking that Kircheis would be a better motivation for Reinhard. How often does this happen to people who are new to the series?

Yeah Man
Oct 9, 2011

And if you had, you know, a huge killer robot at your command, yeah, that would just clutter things up; and a lesser person might want that kind of overwhelming force on their side, but you know - where's the challenge in that?

DamnGlitch posted:

Would you do it for a Kircheis snack?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

In case people didn't know (I haven't seen anything about it in the thread), there's BD rips of LoGH out now. As you'd expect, the quality isn't a whole lot better than the DVDs, but I think it's worth having over the DVD rips. Plus, softsubs.

http://bakabt.me/163344-legend-of-the-galactic-heroes-ginga-eiyuu-densetsu-bluray-x264-720p-10bit-aac.html

http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=torrentinfo&tid=262181

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I see virtually no quality difference from the DVDs. I mean, literally taking screencaps from either source and enlarging/shrinking them to whatever resolution the other is, they are drat close to being the same on a pixel-per-pixel basis. If anything the BD rips look like they're losing a tiny bit of the outer edges of the frames, like they're zoomed in a bit.

I would say stick with the DVDs. Especially considering the filesizes on the BD rips are almost twice as large.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I can distinguish a fair bit of difference when it's in motion, but then when I try to compare two identical scenes there's hardly any difference at all. So I dunno. I have plenty of hard drive space, so I might as well keep it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Since they've already junked the source material for the original show (preventing them from ever rescanning at a higher resolution) aren't the Blu-Rays and DVDs from a common source anyway? Thought they were all upscales with minor touchups here and there, but true HD LoGH is an impossibility :(

Does anyone know if CA is going to do DVD versions of the gaidens as well, since those do look noticeably better than the laserdisc rips they had originally?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Oh yeah, they're definitely upscales. It'd be nice if we could get LoGH BDs that looks as good as the Zeta Gundam BDs, but that'll never happen. At least the actual content is much, much better!

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
To be clear, they're upscales of the DVD masters not the DVD encodes. MPEG-2 is a loving sin, so avoiding it by using a BD rip is always a gain.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Aren't the BDs the ones where they replaced a bunch of the animation is newer computer animation that is somewhat jarring?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Zorak posted:

Aren't the BDs the ones where they replaced a bunch of the animation is newer computer animation that is somewhat jarring?

They did that for the DVDs. These are literally upscales of the DVD masters.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
So they had the DVD master, which they used to produce the DVD encode which lowers the quality a bit. Now they took the same DVD master and produced a BD encode which (theoretically) lowers the quality by slightly less? I can't help but feel that we're firmly into the territory of diminishing returns at this point...

Having said that, if there was ever a show that was worth sperging over to get the absolute highest quality version of, LoGH is that show. CA is never going to get to stop working on this show. Never.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
AzraelNewtype has it right. Both have the same master, but the BD rip would go from Master->h.264(Blu-ray)->h.264(mkv), where as the DVD version would go Master->MPEG2(DVD)->h.264(mkv). MPEG2 is absolute poo poo, so cutting that out helps, probably in the motion as Conduit for Sale! mentions. But it's pretty much splitting hairs and not something that's worth an additional 200 MB per episode, in my opinion.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

You're overstating the size difference. The entire DVD rips are 29.8GB and the BD rips are 44.5GB. I dunno about you, but 15GB is nothing for me. It's not even 1% of my total HD space.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah. If you got the dvd rips already okay whatever, but if you got nothing but the old LDs / VHS rips why not go for broke and download a slightly larger version.

HD eps of just about every new series are like fricken 500 megs anyway. LoGH deserves as many megs as it wants :colbert:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
All them, LoGH deserves all the megs.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

quote:

Yang said:
The nation that neglects social inequality, mischievously increases military budgets, and then uses its power internally suppress the citizens on the pretext of invasion by an external enemy is on the road to extinction.

Oh, Yang! :wotwot:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Takes No Damage posted:

I was already all :stare: when the FPA council was arguing that they didn't have the economic strength to support a costly foreign invasion... after reading about exactly that on CNN...

Quoting myself (and Ron Paul) from a few weeks ago. *Sigh* have we really learned so little even after turning all these pages in history?

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
In every time, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same...

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." -Yang Wen-Li

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

"The Godess of Victory is waving her undergarments in your faces." -Fritz Joesph Bittenfeld

Kircheis
Aug 14, 2007
In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.

KlavoHunter posted:

In every time, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same...

I like your quote. :)

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Kircheis posted:

I like your quote. :)

Is there any other anime series that is so quotable?

As I've watched more of the series, I've become more and more curious about how it was translated. Is there any resource for reading about stuff like that?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Takes No Damage posted:

Oberstein is like a cooler smarter Dick Cheney. Willing to play the bad guy and make tough decisions in order to make Reinhard look good. One of my favorite characters to watch.

Oberstein is awesome, because he's completely villianous, except for the fact he is at all points pretty much acting in everyones best interests so he's not a a villian at all.. Just a bit of a uptight prick.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Chas McGill posted:

Is there any other anime series that is so quotable?

As I've watched more of the series, I've become more and more curious about how it was translated. Is there any resource for reading about stuff like that?
First Gundam probably.

Since it was fan subbed there isn't really any kind of resource about the translation but it probably wouldn't hurt to get in touch with Central Anime and ask a few questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
In a way it would be pretty awful if it got licensed just because the translation would almost certainly be worse than Central Anime's, I mean they got that dialogue spot on. Also it wouldn't be free anymore and it's super long.