Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

blar posted:

Hey guys I found the perfect job for getting out of the legal field. Bookbinder I - 40 hours a week at $40/hr.

Your resume should say:

I attached binding to thousands of legal briefs and other court filings. I depress the paper cutter lever on a regular basis. I use a small paintbrush to add details to my Warhammer 40k figurines, sometimes assembling large warmachines using hand tools.

I went to law school and now I am literally printing money

(third new page in a row biatches)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

HiddenReplaced posted:

I'm just going to go up the chain of the Dept. of Ed. until someone discharged all of my loans.
Get to the bottom of this. Good speed.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I went to law school and now I am literally printing money

(third new page in a row biatches)
They don't take your bar card away for counterfeiting in NO?
Time for me to move. . . .

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY
Any UCLA Law students here? We're borrowing one of your professors, and I'm curious if any of her old exams might be in your password-protected archive.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Ugh where are all the posts.

I joined the Fitocracy lawgoon group. Let's do this bros.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

Lilosh posted:

Any UCLA Law students here? We're borrowing one of your professors, and I'm curious if any of her old exams might be in your password-protected archive.

Which professor?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Football

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

nm posted:

Football

My beloved Ravens :negative:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

It could be worse, you could be a Vikings fan :(

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I joined the Fitocracy lawgoon group. Let's do this bros.

Link? I've considered joining this "exercising" thing kids are doing.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhh I tivoed the game.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
NM wrong thread

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

Nero posted:

Which professor?

Stout. Do you have access to the exam archive?

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

Lilosh posted:

Stout. Do you have access to the exam archive?

Unfortunately they apparently do not allow graduated UCLA students access.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat
So a month or so ago, we got on the topic of FONTCHAT and I was roundly mocked around these parts for suggesting that attention to fonts, layout, and overall design was important and worth the extra effort.

Last week I started reading a new book, Thinking, Fast and Slow. It's written by a Nobel laureate who has spent decades studying the science behind human judgment, decision making, etc. The main thesis of the book is that human thinking is divided into two processes: System 1, which is fast and intuitive, and System 2, which is slow and critical.

The author describes a concept known as "cognitive ease", which, put simply, says that there is a direct correlation and causation between the degree with which you present information in a pleasing manner and the probability that the target will believe you because the answer you suggest seems "intuitive".

Page 65 posted:

Experimenters recruited 40 Princeton students to take [a test]. Half of them saw the puzzles in a small font in washed-out gray print. The puzzles were legible, but the font induced cognitive strain. The results tell a clear story: 90% of the students who saw the [test] in normal font made at least one mistake in the test, but the proportion dropped to 35% when the font was barely legible. ... Performance was better with the bad font. Cognitive strain, whatever its source, mobilizes System 2, which is more likely to reject the intuitive answer suggested by System 1.

In other words, if you file a motion that is poorly typeset and difficult to read, the reader's brain is scientifically more likely to switch into a more critical mode of thinking.

Page 70 posted:

We have learned a great deal about the automatic workings of System 1 in the last decades. Much of what we now know would have sounded like science fiction thirty or forty years ago. It was beyond imagining that bad font influences judgments of truth....

I highly recommend the book. It's fascinating. And again, I am certainly not suggesting that you can brainwash a judge into believing nonsense. The best font in the world won't make a judge believe that 2 + 2 = 6. But, on the margins, where a legal or factual issue is in a gray area, it appears that there is some benefit to caring about your choice of font, pagesetting, etc.

:science:

10-8 fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 23, 2012

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

BigHead posted:

:stare:

Sorry if I spoiled something but I can't imagine how you could go 6 hours post game without hearing how it finished.

It WAS a hell of a game though and well worth watching.

Exercise.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

10-8 posted:

FONTCHAT
Yeah I had actually heard about this sort of thing, but more in the vein of retaining more information from a passage if it's in a difficult to read font. I actually changed some of my bar outlines to a harder-to-read font based on that idea, but I have it up pretty quick because it really is tiring and time consuming and I didn't think it would be worth the effort.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

BigHead posted:

The steeler are going to the superbowl, hate to ruin that.

Edited so as to be less of a douche

nm fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 23, 2012

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Second draft of comment now 40 minutes late and counting

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

:stare:

Sorry if I spoiled something but I can't imagine how you could go 6 hours post game without hearing how it finished.

It WAS a hell of a game though and well worth watching.

Exercise.

Hey thanks for the link. And no need to apologize, it's my lazy rear end family that had to work all day today that made me save it until super late to watch. Too bad about the Ravens and 49ers. Pats vs Giants is so predictable as to be unexciting no matter what the outcome is.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Kahneman owns, behavioral psychology/economics owns

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
Great news guys! Three of the top five are law firms!

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2012/pf/jobs/1201/gallery.best-companies-pay.fortune/2.html

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

10-8 posted:

In other words, if you file a motion that is poorly typeset and difficult to read, the reader's brain is scientifically more likely to switch into a more critical mode of thinking.

I highly recommend the book. It's fascinating. And again, I am certainly not suggesting that you can brainwash a judge into believing nonsense. The best font in the world won't make a judge believe that 2 + 2 = 6. But, on the margins, where a legal or factual issue is in a gray area, it appears that there is some benefit to caring about your choice of font, pagesetting, etc.

:science:

Counterpoint - 5/5 law clerks did not get their JDs from Princeton

Corollary - law clerks typically decide merits based on captions and the conclusion paragraph

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Also for all you Dukies ahahahahaha

http://www.diddukewin.com/

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
The fun thing about being a kickboxer in your off-time is that you get to appear at court with a black eye sometimes. Like I am today!

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Petey posted:

Kahneman owns, behavioral psychology/economics owns

Behaviorism in psychology is an embarrassment (it denies the existence of unconscious mental processes because they can't be directly observed), but behavioral econ and behavioral L&E do indeed own.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 23, 2012

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46101025/ns/technology_and_science-security/#.Tx2g-G-XSVo
(Edit: Court opinion here: http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/11pdf/10-1259.pdf )

So SCOTUS agrees, unanimously, that a GPS tracker is a "search" for the purposes of the Fourth Amendment.

Anyone actually surprised by this?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Not really. Even Supreme Court Justices need to feel secure from being followed around for four months while they shack up with their clerks.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

quote:

Associate Justice Antonin Scalia said that the government's installation of a GPS device, and its use to monitor the vehicle's movements, constitutes a search, meaning that a warrant is required.

For some reason I feel like referring to Justice Scalia as Associate Justice is slightly insulting to him. At least, I giggled when I saw it, and I pictured him in a blue Best Buy associate's polo shirt that they wear in their stores.

Also, I am always surprised when the Supreme Court puts out any opinion that isn't 5-4.

Bathing Jesus
Aug 26, 2003
I'm a bit surprised, but only because recently the court has been completely backwards with respect to understanding technology. Good for them for taking the time to figure it out.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
I bet it's because Justice Thomas saw Linguica's satellite capture of his sleeping during Obama's inauguration. And Justice Roberts doesn't want people seeing his bald spot. So that's what they associate with GPSes.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Bathing Jesus posted:

I'm a bit surprised, but only because recently the court has been completely backwards with respect to understanding technology. Good for them for taking the time to figure it out.

It didn't help that the U.S. admitted during oral argument that the police could track all the justices around for four months if they had a hunch.

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

Dodgers Baseball America #1 Embarrassment Prospect

MoFauxHawk posted:

I bet it's because Justice Thomas saw Linguica's satellite capture of his sleeping during Obama's inauguration. And Justice Roberts doesn't want people seeing his bald spot. So that's what they associate with GPSes.

LOL

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

They're just a bunch of shapes. Don't read too deeply into it.
I just got some good news today - I got a spring externship at freaking ! :woop:

A.s.P. fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 21, 2013

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

amishsexpot posted:

I just got some good news today - I got a spring externship at freaking Louis Vuitton! :woop:

I'm surprised you can get academic credit for working in a garment sweatshop. Are you attaching buttons or zippers?

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007
Wow, looks like you did manage to combine fashion/design and law together! Congrats, amishsexpot!

CaptainScraps posted:

The fun thing about being a kickboxer in your off-time is that you get to appear at court with a black eye sometimes. Like I am today!

We have a criminal docket room that's just for domestic violence related crimes. It's always the best when I walk into court with my legs all bruised up from rock climbing or whatever. "No, your honour. I'm not a complainant. I swear I bruise easily and I was just out playing sports this weekend."

Penguins Like Pies fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 24, 2012

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

amishsexpot posted:

I just got some good news today - I got a spring externship at freaking Louis Vuitton! :woop:

Congrats! How'd you go about getting it?

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

They're just a bunch of shapes. Don't read too deeply into it.

entris posted:

I'm surprised you can get academic credit for working in a garment sweatshop. Are you attaching buttons or zippers?

The ironic thing is that I would be totally happy attaching buttons or zippers for LV since I'm a closeted designer anyway. Hahaha.

Thanks guys! I got it just by submitting my resume to an informal externship call. I had no idea they were one of the employers! Ahhh! I need to get some nice work clothes. Like, now.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Penguins Like Pies posted:

We have a criminal docket room that's just for domestic violence related crimes. It's always the best when I walk into court with my legs all bruised up from rock climbing or whatever. "No, your honour. I'm not a complainant. I swear I bruise easily and I was just out playing sports this weekend."

Are you implying that you wear shorts to court?

amishsexpot posted:

The ironic thing is that I would be totally happy attaching buttons or zippers for LV since I'm a closeted designer anyway. Hahaha.

Is there much work in closet designing? I would think The Container Store has that industry locked up.

:rimshot:

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

amishsexpot posted:

Thanks guys! I got it just by submitting my resume to an informal externship call. I had no idea they were one of the employers! Ahhh! I need to get some nice work clothes. Like, now.

Are you the one that break their butt in your office?

I have trouble keeping track of all you people.

entris posted:

Are you implying that you wear shorts to court?

No, she just wears short skirts and 4" heels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Penguins Like Pies posted:

The people at the courthouse LOVED me. Tons of random people were coming up to ask about it.

"Hey bro, did you win?"
"Man, you should see the other dude."
"You hosed him up bad huh?"
"Nah, he's fine, just really scary."

They already had lawyers though :(