Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

coldplay chiptunes posted:

How do you get it to show up? I've refreshed BigBoss and it's still not there.
Yeah I don't see it either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Apparently it's up on some other repos but I think I'll just wait until BigBoss refreshes.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
I must be doing something wrong. I'm trying the new jailbreak for the 4s with absinthe, and everything goes smoothly until the final step, where you launch absinthe on the phone itself. At that point, it just sits there, no activity. I even tried doing it from a fresh instal, got same error. Am I missing something?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

gypsyshred posted:

I must be doing something wrong. I'm trying the new jailbreak for the 4s with absinthe, and everything goes smoothly until the final step, where you launch absinthe on the phone itself. At that point, it just sits there, no activity. I even tried doing it from a fresh instal, got same error. Am I missing something?

The Absinthe program on the device isn't even required! If it fails to do anything, try to initialize the newly-added VPN profile.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
That errors out as well.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
So, outside of icons turning white, how stable has the jailbreak been?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

89 posted:

A few pages back I posted some issues I had after jailbreaking. All photos disappeared, and all Contacts disappeared. I have not been able to duplicate that (it happened only once after jailbreaking with Absinthe four times), and they showed up after a reboot.

I don't think I've seen the white icons on my iPad 2, but I've seen them half a dozen times on my 4S.

Fizzle
Dec 14, 2006
ZOMG, Where'd my old account go?!?

89 posted:

No problems here and no white icons either.. I'm very happy to have a working jailbreak again after upgrading on 4S launch day

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Apparently it's up on some other repos but I think I'll just wait until BigBoss refreshes.

You can add this source: "cydia.ovihost.com" (I got it from a youtube comment) if you're impatient like me.

Jesus Christ, all these jailbreak tweaks are loving awesome. Its sad that most of my friends just jailbreak for free apps :negative:

arhhhhjay
Feb 4, 2004
Jailbroke my 4S (5.0.1) and everything went smoothly til I opened Cydia. Cydia said it was updating something and would restart after. Checked my phone a couple minutes later and all my main apps were gone. Pretty much all the stock apple apps (phone, messages, mail, etc) are missing. Spotlight search doesn't turn up any results for these missing apps either. Restored from the backup I made before jailbreaking but the apps are still missing. Tried to restore with iTunes but getting error 3194. Double checked TU to make sure it didn't change my hosts file, so thats not the issue.

Has anybody else encountered this problem? Any help is appreciated.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

How do you get it to show up? I've refreshed BigBoss and it's still not there.
I haven't added any cydia sources beyond the default and it was just there v:shobon:v

89 posted:

4S and pad2 JB's have both been perfect for me with truly 0 issues, but I don't install unknown/janky cydia apps, themes, or piratish stuff. Basically I use just the "YES" apps here (though not all of them of course.) I'm going to add a column to that goonsheet to indicate my recommended "core" apps for the current OS. Feel free to add your own info.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Is there any kinda of swype for iOS? Google just shows some old hack that's not available anymore.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Xenomorph posted:

gently caress iBlacklist. I've probably used it 3 times after buying it in 2010, and now they want a $6 license-transfer fee to destroy my 3GS license and enable it on my 4S.

Great. I just emailed them today for a transfer. I had to beg over ~7 emails to exchange my license from my IP4 to an Applecare replacement IP4 about a year ago. gently caress them if so.

No other Cydia Dev pulls this poo poo, IIRC.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

randyest posted:

I haven't added any cydia sources beyond the default and it was just there v:shobon:v

4S and pad2 JB's have both been perfect for me with truly 0 issues, but I don't install unknown/janky cydia apps, themes, or piratish stuff. Basically I use just the "YES" apps here (though not all of them of course.) I'm going to add a column to that goonsheet to indicate my recommended "core" apps for the current OS. Feel free to add your own info.
I was actually thinking about making up a post that details the core jailbreak apps, as the spreadsheet is helpful but also cluttered and riddled with old legacy tweaks.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Got siritoggle from ovihost repo. I can turn on/off wifi, but opening apps or changing brightness she just tells me sorry, can't.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Is there a right up on some good options for the Activator app? So many things it can do, and I'm not sure where I should start.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

89 posted:

The only issues I've had so far with it are that it doesn't seem to want to redownload my camera roll since doing a restore pre-jailbreak. If I go into the camera roll it just says "Downloading 1 of 33" and doesn't go anywhere. One other thing I've noticed is that in Usage it's not showing me the Standby/Usage since last plugged in. It'll keep saying that it'll start tracking once fully charged which I believe I've done once already.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

I was actually thinking about making up a post that details the core jailbreak apps, as the spreadsheet is helpful but also cluttered and riddled with old legacy tweaks.

That'll definitely be handy.

Also, I fixed the Infinifolder status on the spreadsheet. It's iOS 5 compatible, and I think it's better than the alternatives if all you want is infinitely scrolling folders with the smoothest possible implementation (no extra icons, numbers, or weird behavior).

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Feenix posted:

Got siritoggle from ovihost repo. I can turn on/off wifi, but opening apps or changing brightness she just tells me sorry, can't.

Same here. Maybe the author doesn't have the latest version out?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Same here. Maybe the author doesn't have the latest version out?
I notice the version is 1.0b3, so maybe it's a beta early version.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

low-key-taco posted:

Is there any kinda of swype for iOS? Google just shows some old hack that's not available anymore.
Yes it's in Cydia and called iSwype. It's exactly the same as the android version, which is to say it's terrible and slower than just typing.

Please help fix it cpct. I added a column to indicate the apps I use; feel free to add/delete/argue/make your own column for your own preferred apps. I started the goon sheet years ago but anyone can edit it and the more info the better.

Vertigus posted:

Also, I fixed the Infinifolder status on the spreadsheet. It's iOS 5 compatible, and I think it's better than the alternatives if all you want is infinitely scrolling folders with the smoothest possible implementation (no extra icons, numbers, or weird behavior).
Have you tried FolderEnhancer? I compared the two back on a 3GS and 4 under iOS 4.x and concluded at the time that FE was better than InfiniFolders, but maybe that's changed... I didn't bother to compare them under iOS5 but I'd be interested in your opinions/reviews, either here or on the goonsheet.

Stumpus posted:

Is there a right up on some good options for the Activator app? So many things it can do, and I'm not sure where I should start.
What do you want to do? The Settings->Activator menu is pretty clear. I set "short hold" on sleep button to activate springflash (LED flashlight) and triple-tap home to open the camera, both from "anywhere" but you can make anything happen from any state for any reason... just set what you want in "settings -> activator."

Feenix posted:

3G Network traffic or are you on wifi? She's launching anything I ask for no problem. v:shobon:v

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hmm, I can do brightness, Bluetooth, and wifi but can't get it to open apps. I think you have to be specific in the phrasing. "Change brightness to X%" for brightness. "Enable/Disable X" for toggles. Can't figure out how to reboot the phone or do anything else.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Is there no documentation on what keywords work? :confused:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is there no documentation on what keywords work? :confused:

Not that I've found. The app description when you search for the app appears to say what it can do but then you click on it and the actual app page has nothing

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hmm, I can do brightness, Bluetooth, and wifi but can't get it to open apps. I think you have to be specific in the phrasing. "Change brightness to X%" for brightness. "Enable/Disable X" for toggles. Can't figure out how to reboot the phone or do anything else.
Delete that. Legit just hit big boss repo.

Works a fuckin charm.

[edit] To Clarify: The one from OviHost.com is listed as 1.0b3 and shows "Ovi" as the author.

The legit one is made by Hamza Sood, and is listed as .02 on Big Boss.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 23, 2012

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Yeah was just gonna post. Showed up in BigBoss and launches the most obscure of apps with ease. Really neat.

Dressed For Chess
May 6, 2007
Fun Shoe
How long should Cydia take on the "Preparing Filesystem" step? I know they're getting hammered, but I would think that was all an internal process. Then again, I know precisely dick about it.

mewse
May 2, 2006

i know its old hat for you iphone 4 guys but i'm so happy my 4S has a sexy lock screen now

typophone + some clouds background

Influenza
Nov 28, 2000

It's angry at the room. It wants the room to suffer.
Installed Hands Free along with SiriToggles. I now live in the future.

Of course, it's probably a dystopian future where my cell phone battery only lasts about 4 hours...

SENORsankyPANKY
Nov 27, 2007
So what is the sexiest theme? I like the one in the op what's it called? Any recommendations?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Don't use themes.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm having good success with "set backlight to x%", "set brightness to x", "change backlight to x%", "change brightness to x", "launch <appname>", turn on/turn off/enable/disable wifi/bluetooth/3g/etc.

Pretty drat amazing.

mewse posted:

i know its old hat for you iphone 4 guys but i'm so happy my 4S has a sexy lock screen now

Maybe you should consider an android nexus droid galaxy II phone by samsung with google?

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I'm frothing at the mouth because I can't get this jailbreak to work on Windows. I tried the regular installer, which puts the Absinthe icon on my page. I then open it, and jack poo poo happens.

I then tried the CLI method, which ends up with "Profile Failed to Install".

Googling reveals a lot of people with similar problems and no one with a goddamn answer. Argh.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
Redsnow man...

https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-dev.com/files/home/redsn0w_win_0.9.10b4.zip?attredirects=0

mewse
May 2, 2006

randyest posted:

Maybe you should consider an android nexus droid galaxy II phone by samsung with google?

why

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Redsn0w works with A5 devices?

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

mewse posted:

I think that looks pretty cool

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

mewse posted:

My eyes. They bleed.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Only way I'd go back to Typophone (which is awesome :colbert: ) is when they figure out some form of Lock Screen Notifications integration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Typophone is hilarious to me because it tries to hard to be trendy and arty but it breaks basically every single modern graphic design typography rule.

I don't know whether to laugh or cringe.

• Locked thread