Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I only got white icons/apps/whatever when I hid them with sbsettings and synced my phone/apps with my iTunes. I disabled hiding then and reboot and all was well

Barrel owns btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Aggro posted:

I'm frothing at the mouth because I can't get this jailbreak to work on Windows. I tried the regular installer, which puts the Absinthe icon on my page. I then open it, and jack poo poo happens.

I then tried the CLI method, which ends up with "Profile Failed to Install".

Googling reveals a lot of people with similar problems and no one with a goddamn answer. Argh.
You try the newer DL of Absinthe that had the different servers? I couldn't get it to work either, same as you, and that instantly fixed it.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Got back into iOS after a couple years of not having a device and I can't believe there's still no official way to backup select save games. I didn't want to jailbreak but come on, that's ridiculous.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Det_no posted:

Got back into iOS after a couple years of not having a device and I can't believe there's still no official way to backup select save games. I didn't want to jailbreak but come on, that's ridiculous.
Blame the developers for not implementing it into their games.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Typophone is hilarious to me because it tries to hard to be trendy and arty but it breaks basically every single modern graphic design typography rule.

That's pretty much standard for everything done by a "font nerd" stereotype though. :)

Repost now this thread has more traffic:
When at home I usually don't carry my phone around with me and often miss calls/SMS.
Are there any apps that can "pair" the phone to the computer like BluePhone etc. used to? Notification would also be acceptable.

So far I've found:
-Phone Amego: calls only
-WiFiSMS: have to keep a browser open with a certain webpage
-PcSMS: IOS 4.1+
-GrowlNotifier: IOS 4.1+, notifier only

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

Apple should either make devs implement proper storage of saved games, or provide a way to do it that works for everything. This has now been a problem for years. Welcome to the jailbreaking thread.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Which is why DataDeposit is so awesome and everyone should have it as a top 3 reason to jailbreak.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

Is there a way to have datadeposit just backup everything?

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Det_no posted:

Got back into iOS after a couple years of not having a device and I can't believe there's still no official way to backup select save games.
The official way is to have devs store game saves in iCloud where they'll live forever or until the user deletes them.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 23, 2012

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I couldn't get the jailbreak to work on windows as it'd always crash halfway through but it worked on mac first try without any fiddling. If you have access to a mac it seems like it's the way to go.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Anyone having issues with SwipeToMoveCursor all of a sudden? It just seems to have just stopped working today. On 5.0.1.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Just jailbroke via the Windows method annnnnnnnnd Cydia has no sources and won't let me add sources...

..what? :(

dweebgal
Aug 1, 2004
I was getting this, try closing/reopening cydia a couple of times.

Everything is a bit slammed still I guess, I'm having a hell of a time trying to download retinapad

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Don't use themes.

randyest posted:

Maybe you should consider an android nexus droid galaxy II phone by samsung with google?

What's with all the hate on themes? I've got some simple theming on my phone and I think it looks great.

(is it because everyone uses LockInfo? Or the battery drain?)

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 23, 2012

Astroturf Neckbeard
Jan 10, 2007
straight to video

Astroturf Neckbeard posted:

I jailbroke my 4S today (it's on 5.0.1), and I'm probably missing something really obvious, but I just can't seem to SSH into it.

I followed all the steps here, and everything is fine up to step 15. But the "root@(my IP)" window that pops up is blank, it hangs for 20 seconds, then says "Network error: Connection timed out". It always hangs for 20 seconds, even if I set the server response timeout option on the connection tab of the WinSCP login screen to 60 seconds or more.

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing OpenSSH a few times, tried using Cyberduck and WinSCP, tried resetting my iphone's wifi connection a few times, and used MobileTerminal to reset the root password (to make sure it hadn't been changed somehow).

Any ideas or suggestions?

I posted this yesterday, but it got buried a few pages back so I'm bumping it in the hope that someone knows what I'm doing wrong. Anyone?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I really love the look of stylised lockscreens like this one, but don't want to lose out on stuff like notifications on the lockscreen. Is there a good-looking custom lockscreen that doesn't drain the battery too much that still allows for lockscreen notification stuff?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

I posted this yesterday, but it got buried a few pages back so I'm bumping it in the hope that someone knows what I'm doing wrong. Anyone?

So are you saying you were able to get in via SSH to change the password? (please make sure it is something other than "alpine" for both root and mobile).

If you want to do file transfers, I recommend FileZilla. It's free, frequently updated, is standard across platforms, and has a familiar interface.

Regarding what you're doing wrong, I don't know. Installing OpenSSH makes your device like any other device with SSH. I don't think you'd want an iPhone-specific guide, since connecting to it is the same as connecting your system to a Linux or Mac system that runs SSH.

Astroturf Neckbeard
Jan 10, 2007
straight to video

Xenomorph posted:

So are you saying you were able to get in via SSH to change the password? (please make sure it is something other than "alpine" for both root and mobile).

Nope, I used Mobile Terminal to change the password (and yeah, I changed both root and mobile) via text commands (following this guide). I've not been able to get into my phone via SSH at all.

quote:

If you want to do file transfers, I recommend FileZilla. It's free, frequently updated, is standard across platforms, and has a familiar interface.

I'll check that out.

EDIT: Tried it, same timeout issue.

Also, I'm using SBSettings to turn SSH on and off. I seem to remember the toggle being weird on my 3GS and sometimes SSH would be activated when the toggle was off and vice versa. Is there some other way to make sure SSH is enabled on my phone?

Astroturf Neckbeard fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 23, 2012

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Nope, I used Mobile Terminal to change the password (and yeah, I changed both root and mobile) via text commands (following this guide). I've not been able to get into my phone via SSH at all.

I'll check that out.

EDIT: Tried it, same timeout issue.

Also, I'm using SBSettings to turn SSH on and off. I seem to remember the toggle being weird on my 3GS and sometimes SSH would be activated when the toggle was off and vice versa. Is there some other way to make sure SSH is enabled on my phone?

Did you restart your phone after you installed OpenSSH? Sometimes it needs a restart to work correctly.

Astroturf Neckbeard
Jan 10, 2007
straight to video

Blinkz0rz posted:

Did you restart your phone after you installed OpenSSH? Sometimes it needs a restart to work correctly.

Just rebooted, same deal. Graaaah.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

I really love the look of stylised lockscreens like this one, but don't want to lose out on stuff like notifications on the lockscreen. Is there a good-looking custom lockscreen that doesn't drain the battery too much that still allows for lockscreen notification stuff?

I take it this is not good enough? You want all of the LockInfo stuff?

Just rebooted, same deal. Graaaah.

Did you try pinging the IP address of your phone to ensure you can establish a connection?

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 23, 2012

Astroturf Neckbeard
Jan 10, 2007
straight to video

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Did you try pinging the IP address of your phone to ensure you can establish a connection?

No response. Interesting. So where does my problem lie? I know jack about networking stuff.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

No response. Interesting. So where does my problem lie? I know jack about networking stuff.

How are you determining the IP address of your phone? SBSettings? Are you connecting via the Wi-Fi IP address? The "Data IP" won't work (I'm just trying to eliminate the obvious here...).

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 23, 2012

Astroturf Neckbeard
Jan 10, 2007
straight to video

Rick Rickshaw posted:

How are you determining the IP address of your phone? SBSettings? Are you connecting via the Wi-Fi IP address? The "Data IP" won't work.

Getting the Wi-Fi IP from SB settings AND verified from the Settings -> Wi-Fi menu. Yep, ATTEMPTING to connect via that IP.

Astroturf Neckbeard fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 23, 2012

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

Getting the Wi-Fi IP from SB settings AND verified from the Settings -> Wi-Fi menu. Yep, ATTEMPTING to connect via that IP.

What are the IP addresses of your computer and your iPhone? (I ask this to determine if they are on the same network and can talk to each other)

Astroturf Neckbeard
Jan 10, 2007
straight to video

Rick Rickshaw posted:

What are the IP addresses of your computer and your iPhone? (I ask this to determine if they are on the same network and can talk to each other)

Could I possibly bother you over AIM or through PMs about this? I know this kind of troubleshooting isn't really what the thread is for... (my AIM is kindersonde)

EDIT: I'll put this here just in case anyone else has a similar problem and checks the thread for help: I use Mobile Mouse (an app to use my phone as a wireless mouse for my PC) over Wi-Fi nearly daily, is that evidence that they're on the same network and communicate?

EDIT THE SECOND: Rick Rickshaw, being the awesome guy that he is, was able to figure out that my network setup (PC on wired router, wireless router plugged into that same wired router) was the cause of the problem, and told me how to fix it right up. I can now SSH into my phone. Huzzah!

Astroturf Neckbeard fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 23, 2012

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

After installing a couple of tweaks to my jailbroken iPhone4 several new apps showed up. Field test and ad mob were two of them. Rebooting the phone got rid of them, but they can still be run from spotlight.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I take it this is not good enough? You want all of the LockInfo stuff?

The problem with that one is that the notifications would cover up the actual time if you had two or three. I'm sure it's just down to me looking around for one that'd laid out appropriately.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Does anyone have any sort of changelog for this Absinthe stuff?

quote:

@planetbeing
v0.2: Tries to fix no reboot after activating VPN/tapping Absinthe icon. We also tried to fix white icons on SpringBoard after jb.

Well, that sounds great! I'll just run 0.2 to fix my white icons ...

quote:

@planetbeing
If you've already successfully jailbroken, rerunning an updated version of the jailbreak is pointless.

First jailbreak tool, used for my 4S and iPad 2:
absinthe-mac-0.1.2-1.zip

Second jailbreak tool, used for my wife's iPad 2:
absinthe-mac-0.1.2-2.zip

Third jailbreak tool, used on my 4S after a wipe & restore:
absinthe-win-0.2.zip

Now, the "0.2" version of Absinth loaded on the phone to a black screen with the greenpois0n logo. No "white screen" like the previous ones. It even rebooted my 4S automatically (I didn't have to enable the VPN connection).
After the jailbreak, I have yet to see a white icon.

It's a shame that 0.1 gave white icons to some people, but they say running 0.2 over it will NOT fix it. You have to wipe & restore and then run 0.2. Bad if you were sticking with iOS 5.0.0 while waiting for an unlock.
... or maybe it was something else causing white icons. I know I'm not the only one who had that issue. Rebooting and respringing were only temporary fixes.

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 23, 2012

TrueWhore
Oct 1, 2000

I ran .2 and i get the white icons. I suspect it is sbsettings, not the break itself, because i first noticed it after running sbsettings. Anyone have it _without_ sbsettings installed?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

TrueWhore posted:

I ran .2 and i get the white icons. I suspect it is sbsettings, not the break itself, because i first noticed it after running sbsettings. Anyone have it _without_ sbsettings installed?

I do on my iPad, I still get white icons

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:
So I got into an discussion over the weekend about jailbreaking with a friend of mine who is a software engineer and she's saying that you can now brick your iPhone by accident. She further went on to tell me that you can't unjailbreak or you will brick. Having jailbroken about two years ago, and remembering the whole

quote:

[b]It's impossible to software brick an iPhone; to fix the phone, perform a DFU restore. If that's not working, read this website, realize you actually had the phone in recovery mode and not DFU mode, put the phone in DFU mode, and restore again.

thing, I figured I'd look into it. Its worth mentioning that the link in the quote is from 2009, so it makes me doubt its accuracy.

Further,

afaik putting the wrong baseband on a 3GS effectively bricks it, but I'm sure there's more to it than just that.

So it is actually possible to brick your phone.

I've tried looking into the whole brick thing with Google, but most of what I've found dates back to late 2009 to early 2011, so the information is probably obsolete at this point.

So what's the deal?

mewse
May 2, 2006

CADPAT posted:

So what's the deal?

you can't downgrade baseband on any recent iphone, even 3GS. if you are depending on a software carrier unlock (ultrasn0w) and you upgrade the baseband, you are hosed ("bricked"?) because you can't downgrade it.

your software engineer friend is wrong

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I think there was some fuckery with the original iPhone, as you could downgrade basebands or even load random/bad code into the baseband (killing the device).

With the 3G and 3GS, you're sorta-hosed if you load the 6.15 iPad baseband. As of right now, it breaks GPS, and you cannot load stock firmware any more. (edit: a third revision of the 3GS came out at the end of 2011, starting with the release of the 4S. This newer-new 3GS has updated code that finally prevents people from loving up their phone by loading the 6.15 iPad baseband on it.)

Those issues have to do with basebands and unlocking, not jailbreaking.

Regarding jailbreaking, it has always been safe. I know for a fact that even with the A5/5.0.1 jailbreak, you can easily go back to stock. I've restored my 4S a few times when testing out stuff.

- Jailbreaking is safe.
- Jailbreaking isn't permanent.
- Jailbreaking is easy to undo.
- If you restore your device, Apple cannot tell if you have ever jailbroken.

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 23, 2012

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:
Thanks for that.

I think her real concern is that if she attempts a jailbreak and fucks it up, she might only be able to restore to a recent iOS version which means she won't be able to unlock again, and then be unable to use her phone on her current carrier.

So the real issue is with unlocking not jailbreaking.

e: Its worth mentioning she's using and iPhone 4.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

CADPAT posted:

Thanks for that.

I think her real concern is that if she attempts a jailbreak and fucks it up, she might only be able to restore to a recent iOS version which means she won't be able to unlock again, and then be unable to use her phone on her current carrier.

So the real issue is with unlocking not jailbreaking.

e: Its worth mentioning she's using and iPhone 4.

It's only an issue if she restores to stock iOS. She needs to create a custom firmware that strips out the baseband update (redsn0w does this, probably some other tools too).

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Is there an app on Cydia that forces Airplay video? For like HBO Go where it only airplays audio and not video normally.

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

Rick Rickshaw posted:

What's with all the hate on themes? I've got some simple theming on my phone and I think it looks great.

(is it because everyone uses LockInfo? Or the battery drain?)
A lot of those overly-stylized lockscreens (giant fonts, text representations of the time/date, etc.) look hideous and waste giant amounts of useful space. Then they take that "simplified" visual feel and completely break it by filling the rest of the screen with junk like oversized weather icons or pointless squiggly lines.
Yours is relatively subdued by comparison.

EDIT (unrelated): It appears StatusBarSeconds does not get along well with other statusbar tweaks. Anyone know any other good tweaks for the statusbar clock? (date, seconds, etc.)

Robo-Pope fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 23, 2012

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

frumpsnake posted:

Well, you CAN unlock his 3GS if he's willing to put the iPad baseband on it. Just make a custom IPSW with PwnageTool or sn0wbreeze.

You'll probably lose GPS and rely on cell+Wifi triangulation, and it will void your warranty, but I'd argue that's better than an glorified iPod Touch that Apple are refusing to touch anyway.

It's actually already got the iPad baseband on it, but won't activate at all with an AT&T SIM and won't connect to the cell network if activation is bypassed. I have no idea why this guy unlocked my brother in laws phone, he's on AT&T and has no plans to switch.

I don't know enough about all this silliness to get this back to a working phone state it would appear, I'm just giving my brother in law the phone back and he can figure out he wants to do from there.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueWhore
Oct 1, 2000

Speaking of status bar tweeks, what is the current best of for status bar icons for mute and unread mail? Use to be statusbar notifier or some such. What works well on ios5?

• Locked thread