Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Tarezax posted:

I remember it being phrased as "how the water gets in and the poo poo gets out".
This is from an interview published in the back of The Discworld Companion:

Terry Pratchett posted:

I was once on a panel as some international fantasy convention where the creation of fantasy cities was discussed, and some of the Americans weren't very impressed when I said that you had to start out by wondering how the fresh water got in and how the sewage got out. But worrying about the fresh water is a major concern of all cities. The sewage hasn't always been quite such a problem because someone somewhere has generally made some money out of taking it away, or there was a handy river. World building from the bottom up, to use a happy phrase, is more fruitful than doing it from the top down. How do the million inhabitants get fed? How are they policed? What kind of politics evolve?

I found that those questions started me thinking in new ways. And that the real monsters we have to do battle with are the ones in here with us, not in some magic kingdom far, far, away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desiree Cousteau
Jan 15, 2012

Dead Alice posted:

Does every city have a King of the Golden River?

Only the ones where the handling of waste is not controlled as a government monopoly, or has been so tied up in miles of regulation, red tape and kickbacks that an honest (mostly) merchant has to either give up or knuckle under.

That is the most interesting element of Vetinary; total dictatorial power handled in a way to enforce the rule of law and not the rule of a single power-maddened loon. And how does it survive past Vetinary's death?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Desiree Cousteau posted:

Only the ones where the handling of waste is not controlled as a government monopoly, or has been so tied up in miles of regulation, red tape and kickbacks that an honest (mostly) merchant has to either give up or knuckle under.

That is the most interesting element of Vetinary; total dictatorial power handled in a way to enforce the rule of law and not the rule of a single power-maddened loon. And how does it survive past Vetinary's death?

He passes his power onto the one man who thinks as straight as a corkscrew: Moist.

And he sets Vimes to watch him.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
And also secretly he becomes a zombie or something so he can keep an eye on things and subtly intervene if needed. Vetinari cannot truly die. And if you suggest otherwise I shall put my fingers in my ears and go lalalala.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Vimes doesn't have that many years left in him, himself.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Which is why Vimes has set Carrot to watch him.

I always wondered if Pratchett was setting up Moist as a foil to Carrot for the theoretical power struggle when Vetinari dies.

And speaking of Death, I honestly expected a totally different story for Snuff.

Did anyone else think it was going to be Vimes' last story, his cigar being...snuffed out?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

wheatpuppy posted:

And also secretly he becomes a zombie or something so he can keep an eye on things and subtly intervene if needed. Vetinari cannot truly die. And if you suggest otherwise I shall put my fingers in my ears and go lalalala.

I believe he's on good terms with a certain lady vampire.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Or the Guilds and the Watch and the Wizards realize that the City worked excellently as is and simply go on playing off each other into the cobble-stoned road of infinity.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Mister Roboto posted:

Did anyone else think it was going to be Vimes' last story, his cigar being...snuffed out?

Yes, I totally did. Posted about how sure I was a few times as well.

I think Angua is being set up to be the new smartarse bastard who none of the Guilds want to rile up rather than Carrot. She takes after Vimes more at least.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
I've got to be honest and say that I don't think Vetinari is grooming Moist as a successor simply because maintaining stability is not what Moist does. Moist is a reformer, for him it's all about kicking things up and changing them around. Look at how he was at the start of Making Money with the post office nice and stable he was doing silly things to liven up his day, though a large part of that was the absence of Spike. He's still a vital part of whatever Vetinari's future plans are of course, before he can die or retire Vetinari needs to vitalise and modernise the pillars of the city, first the post office, then the banks and now he's looking at the tax system.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Vetinari seems, to me, to be arranging matters so that they will perpetuate themselves. It's exactly how I'd always pictured him thinking, too.

Detail follows, it will probably spoil many books so I've just blacked out the whole thing:

If you've got The Watch functioning properly, people won't be committing "big" crimes. The guilds self-regulate through infighting, all of them slapping down any single one that gets too strong. Moist makes changes for the better, but is held back by the guilds and the watch. Vimes and/or The Watch will slap down anyone trying a military coup, but the city has a strong army/workforce in the golems anyway. It also has a supply of cheap labour in the goblins. Speciesism is on the way out (especially after Snuff). Hell, the city even has the Device that looks like it's going to power the whole thing on its own.

Pratchett has even stated in a few novels that Vetinari actually does almost nothing other than prod things gently when they go off-kilter - and he won't have to do that any more if he gets everything balanced. And yeah, he would make a pretty great vampire lord.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I'm waiting for the books to touch on Vetinari's darkest secret, to be honest.

He's spent his life trying to stabilize the city - at first, through big events like assassinating Winder and through making a power play to become Patrician himself. Then he influences matters through smaller and smaller events, as he gets more experienced and subtler, until finally he does nothing more than, for example, suggest to Sybil that Vimes takes a holiday on the family estate. Eventually everything will be stable and prosperous once everything's in equilibrium.

Vetinari is a Balancing Monk.

Sammyz
Dec 24, 2005

Penguingo posted:

I'm waiting for the books to touch on Vetinari's darkest secret, to be honest.

He's spent his life trying to stabilize the city - at first, through big events like assassinating Winder and through making a power play to become Patrician himself. Then he influences matters through smaller and smaller events, as he gets more experienced and subtler, until finally he does nothing more than, for example, suggest to Sybil that Vimes takes a holiday on the family estate. Eventually everything will be stable and prosperous once everything's in equilibrium.

Vetinari is a Balancing Monk.

This is brilliant.

Vetinari is possibly my favorite character in all of the books. Does this make me weird?

In like Zinn
Jan 3, 2010

You'll notice from the bodies where the squaddies have been.

John Charity Spring posted:

More like Space Invaders mixed with TIE Fighter, something like that. It's clear reading it that Pratchett knew/knows his poo poo when it comes to games, it's just that stuff like the fake manual and system requirements for the game in question at the beginning of the book no longer apply at all. And the reams of film references are probably a bit beyond most kids today - even though it's all stuff like Aliens, I'd wager most 10-year-olds nowadays aren't particularly aware of 80s action/sci-fi.

I never saw the TV adaptations of either Johnny and the Dead or Johnny and the Bomb, but both books are excellent. Johnny and the Dead has some of Pratchett's best comic writing, I think.

I know this is a bit late, but the Johnny and the Bomb 3-part miniseries is frankly brilliant. They even managed to find two good child actors (Johnny and BigMac) and none of the cast is awful.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I just realized last night I never got the latest Discworld book and am now rather entrenched in Snuff, laughing my rear end off. I didn't care wildly for Unseen Academicals, but Snuff is thus far fantastic. Pratchett's still got it.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Zorak posted:

I just realized last night I never got the latest Discworld book and am now rather entrenched in Snuff, laughing my rear end off. I didn't care wildly for Unseen Academicals, but Snuff is thus far fantastic. Pratchett's still got it.

I honestly think you're the only fan I've seen who actually said Snuff was funnier than UA.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Mister Roboto posted:

I honestly think you're the only fan I've seen who actually said Snuff was funnier than UA.

Snuff rules, UA drools.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Mister Roboto posted:

I thought Snuff was better than UA. I wouldn't say either one of them was laugh-out-loud funny.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Mister Roboto posted:

I think the dialog is a lot wittier and amusing in structure, and frankly, I find the characters a lot more interesting (Vimes is as great as ever, and he and Wittikins have good chemistry, if you will). The primary cast in Unseen Academicals, beyond the wizards, were rather on the dullish side.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I cannot remember the name of a single person in UA, and that is a first for me.

I know there was Football Guy, Blondie, Sorta-Agnes-Nitt and The Goblorc, but bugger me if I can remember their names. I keep thinking the orc was called Mr Pin for some reason.

I'd have much rather read a book about Mr Pin.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Unseen Academicals suffered a bit from the Going Postal-style "protagonist effortlessly rolls over anything in his way" syndrome, and the non-wizard cast all merged into one weird morass of fake working-class accents, but if you can't remember the antics of the UU faculty then I think you might be in trouble.

You know, like that bit where they blustered amusingly. Or had an argument. Or spoke to Hex. Or... uh.

Oh god it's true, nothing memorable happened in the entire book :smith:

Mr Pin was in The Truth, by the way. He's the one that looks like a bit like Steve Buscemi when you read about him.

e: UU was still better than Snuff, though. That's not to say I didn't like the books - just that they were enjoyably good rather than the straight-up fantastic of earlier ones where character building was more important than hammering the discworld to fit into a "modern world" mould.

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 22, 2012

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nilbop posted:

I keep thinking the orc was called Mr Pin for some reason.

He's Mr Nutt. You're confusing him with Mr Tulip and Mr Pin, the "New Firm" enforcers in The Truth.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Jedit posted:

He's Mr Nutt. You're confusing him with Mr Tulip and Mr Pin, the "New Firm" enforcers in The Truth.

Oh, I knew who they were.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

UA is still a solid book, but it is definitely one of the weaker of the Discworld novels. I'm surprised I couldn't remember Mr Nutt's name, the other lad was Likely? or something?

Dave Likelys lad? poo poo I have no idea.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Penguingo posted:

Hicks the necromancer, with his acceptable level of evil and slipping flyers for plays into people's pockets was the breakout character of UA for me.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I've just never really enjoyed the UU staff. They've never seemed all that funny to me and while I've liked things witht hem in them, it's only been with the wizards as side characters, like Lords and Ladies.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Yes they are top-of-the-tree side characters. Mustrum Ridcully is so perfectly formed it is absolutely uncanny.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

Penguingo posted:

Vetinari's speech about every sphere spinning in pain was the best thing in the book, and pretty drat memorable.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Nilbop posted:

Yes they are top-of-the-tree side characters. Mustrum Ridcully is so perfectly formed it is absolutely uncanny.

I've always thought of him as Teddy Roosevelt the Wizard.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Canemacar posted:

I've always thought of him as Teddy Roosevelt the Wizard.

I've never thought of it in those exact terms, but now that I hear it, "Teddy Roosevelt the Wizard" is really drat close to how I pictured him too.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Yeah, that's an absolutely dead-on description.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Nilbop posted:

The great thing about a lot of Pratchett's characters is that you probably know someone like them. The world is filled with Nanny Oggs and Mustrum Ridcullys and Sergeant Colons.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Pratchett claims that he's always hearing from cops who insist they know a Nobbs or a Colon, and usually from an obvious Nobbs or Colon.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

ConfusedUs posted:

I've never thought of it in those exact terms, but now that I hear it, "Teddy Roosevelt the Wizard" is really drat close to how I pictured him too.

I always imagined him as basically being Brian Blessed.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I was just reading Guards! Guards! again for probably the thousandth time, and I noticed something I never noticed before.

Spoilers for some of the Guards books follow.
Before Carrot has any inkling that he's the rightful heir (has it ever been actually established beyond a doubt that he is? I can't remember), just after the point where Errol defeats the big dragon, the guards start running towards the palace. Vimes asks if anyone's still got a sword, and Carrot says "You can use mine". Major loving foreshadowing there....

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
(Instructions are just some other guy's opinion)
I've a question about Dark Side of the Sun. Is this some sort of Anti-Dune story? Or is it more of an Norstrillia plot, or some combination of the two?

When I read it originally I thought it was a wierd inversion of Dune, the theocratic rule, the planet is all wet, the Goo, the plucking of pearls from the dragons...

But then Dom Sablos also travels offworld which Mauve-Bib never does, and that part, with the shielding of the ships from hyperspace, the sentient planet, the robots, all seem more Cordwainer Smith-y. Even the tone makes me think more of Norstrillia. With robots taking the place of sub-people like C-Mell.

KayGee
Nov 23, 2011

Orks is da biggest and da strrrrongest.
I wasn't so sure of Snuff myself, it was nice to see vimes' home life expanded upon but overall I thought he was too smart in the book. He never REALLY seemed to be in danger and he always had Wilikins there to back him up anyway.

One of the reasons I thought Nightwatch was great was because he was stuck trying to preserve the future he had and his 'almost breakdown' where he just needed something he could hold to show it was still possible really moved me. But it never felt like there was any real danger for him.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Agree completely, KayGee.

Vimes should've SUFFERED from the Summoning Dark, not benefited.

Just imagine how different the book would've been if Vimes had LOST all his night vision instead.

I swear I predicted that was actually going to be the theme of Snuff when I heard the title--the snuffing out of Vimes' light.

He'd have to cope with being a night watchman who was blind at night, relying on that talent of reading the ground he has. Sort of going back to his roots instead of becoming supercop. Perhaps it could work as a metaphor for his career being snuffed out as well. AND it could've fit the themes of racism in the blunt but fitting message that in the dark, we all look the same.

A big part of Pratchett's writings has ALWAYS been that things come at a price. Vimes beat an ancient curse, but where's the price?

I'm hoping, but I'm probably wrong, that Pratchett is building up Vimes' infallibility deliberately just to break it down for Vimes' exit from the world--imagine everything falling apart, his city powers, his titles, his family, and he hits rock bottom, just like we found him...and we see him rebuild from scratch just to show how much he's changed since his drunken days.

That'd be a great perfect bookend to end Vimes on.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mister Roboto posted:

A big part of Pratchett's writings has ALWAYS been that things come at a price. Vimes beat an ancient curse, but where's the price?

Vimes benefits from the Summoning Dark because of his job. As a nightwatchman his power is symbolically tied to the night, so when he uses it during the day he is technically making the day part of the night - which in a way is summoning the dark. The price he pays is that because he can do this, he can never actually stop being a copper, and he pays that price every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desiree Cousteau
Jan 15, 2012

Presto posted:

The great thing about a lot of Pratchett's characters is that you probably know someone like them. The world is filled with Nanny Oggs and Mustrum Ridcullys and Sergeant Colons.

I, for example, am related to a whole clan of Granny Weatherwaxes. It was terrible, every single one of my aunts knew what I was doing before I did. And my uncles and cousins and brothers-in-laws all have the single attitude of, "get out of the way and let it by". It is kind of funny though. I think none of my aunts quite understand why they don't get along with their daughters-in-laws.