Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Bobulus posted:

It's really just a question of which is a bigger ace:

- Xykon not knowing about what the spell actually does
- Xykon not knowing he has the amulet

Not knowing what the spell actually does is something that can be played out as a plot thread right up until the very finale. Not knowing about the amulet is a complete block on the villains making any progress at all because Xykon won't leave without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Alchenar posted:

Not knowing what the spell actually does is something that can be played out as a plot thread right up until the very finale. Not knowing about the amulet is a complete block on the villains making any progress at all because Xykon won't leave without it.

We have evidence that Xykon may be willing to move on without it.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

jng2058 posted:

Arguably, the best way to handle it is to get both. Kill Tsukiko and replace her with a polymorphed Hobgoblin or something. Or just kill her straight up and say that you did it because she was in your room.

Yeah I think this is it. Redcloak is probably a higher level than Tsukiko, but he blew his higher level spells on the Resistance. They're probably on even footing, fight wise. It would make for a good action scene, and leave Redcloak with all the cards.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Bobulus posted:

- Xykon not knowing about what the spell actually does

I have to question this. I mean, the guy is a billion-level skeleton wizard. If Tsukiko could figure it out, surely Xykon could. Maybe Xykon suspects something, so he gives the ritual to Tsukiko knowing she'll confront Redcloak -- thereby showing Xykon just how dedicated ol' Wrong-Eye is to keeping The Ritual a secret.

Xykon should have the magical knowledge and cunning to tell if something is "up" with the ritual - not to mention the genre savviness to realize that any henchman who isn't Admiral Ozzel-level incompetent will stab you in the back and take your evil overlord hat given the opportunity.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Verr posted:

Yeah I think this is it. Redcloak is probably a higher level than Tsukiko, but he blew his higher level spells on the Resistance. They're probably on even footing, fight wise. It would make for a good action scene, and leave Redcloak with all the cards.

Yeah, but he's probably got much better saves. Power equals power and all.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Geeze, his Kickstarter drive is going up at like $2,000 per hour. Over a quarter of the way there in its first couple days.

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!

EndOfTheWorld posted:

I have to question this. I mean, the guy is a billion-level skeleton wizard. If Tsukiko could figure it out, surely Xykon could. Maybe Xykon suspects something, so he gives the ritual to Tsukiko knowing she'll confront Redcloak -- thereby showing Xykon just how dedicated ol' Wrong-Eye is to keeping The Ritual a secret.

Xykon should have the magical knowledge and cunning to tell if something is "up" with the ritual - not to mention the genre savviness to realize that any henchman who isn't Admiral Ozzel-level incompetent will stab you in the back and take your evil overlord hat given the opportunity.

Xykon is a sorcerer. He has never been really interested in magical knowledge, although he noticed something was up with the ritual.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

EndOfTheWorld posted:

But he doesn't. He's a SORCERER, which means that he's Charisma based, not Intelligence. His magic is innate, not learned the way Vaarsuvius' is. Plus Sorcerers don't get much in the way of Skill Points. That's why he needs Tsukiko, she's half wizard and DID study and probably has a better Knowledge: Arcana and Spellcraft scores than Xykon does.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Wili posted:

It is a reference to events in Start of Darkness.

Redcloack had a brother who was missing his left eye, and so was nicknamed "Right-Eye" by Xykon, who couldn't be bothered to remember his actual name. The brother was killed in the climax of the book, in a series of events that I won't spoil but were quite traumatizing for Redcloack. Calling him "Wrong-Eye" is something that Xykon knows is good for pushing Redcloack's buttons, and reminding him that he is nothing but Xykon's little bitch.
Ah, I see. Thank you.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
i just hope he implodes her, banishes her wights, and then has her taken back to her room and resurrected. because he can.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Maldraedior posted:

i just hope he implodes her, banishes her wights, and then has her taken back to her room and resurrected. because he can.

No, wait...he kills her and brings her back as undead under his control! That's both ironic and Xykon won't get suspicious, since she's always had an undead fetish to begin with, and it gets you a spy close to the big X himself!

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

ColdPie posted:

Geeze, his Kickstarter drive is going up at like $2,000 per hour. Over a quarter of the way there in its first couple days.

Today is actually it's first day; it's only been up for about 13 hours. It's been going just as strong since you posted, and it's over halfway there. I'm glad to see it doing so well; this is the only book I'm missing, but it'll be nice for the others to be back in print anyway.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Are people actually donating in the hopes of being able to then buy a book? Like, not just preordering them?

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb

Javid posted:

Are people actually donating in the hopes of being able to then buy a book? Like, not just preordering them?

Did you read the page? It is a kick starter group to print the War and XPs book, basically a kind of pre-order. Plus extra stuff, and you can pay more for some extra things.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Like the people paying 1250$ each to get a smidgeon more then the dude paying 10bux.

I'm probably going to save up and buy the books i'm missing. I've got origins and start of darkness. I mean why not, its a good book.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Presumably those are people of significant means who want to support a creative pursuit. I don't think they're looking for exact parity of value with what they receive.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

KaLogain posted:

Did you read the page? It is a kick starter group to print the War and XPs book, basically a kind of pre-order. Plus extra stuff, and you can pay more for some extra things.
You don't actually get the book until the $45 donation level.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Come on guys, surely someone else besides me like Tsukiko. :(

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
I find her somewhat tragic--a talented, clever, beautiful young woman should be doing extremely well for herself, but some twist of fate has left her damaged--unable to connect to her fellow living beings on a meaningful level. We'll probably never find out what happened to her, but it shouldn't have.

Nevertheless, that bitch needs to die.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Aaand another one's up. That was fast. Especially 'cos it's a doozy

Tertiary Stresses
Jul 27, 2007

Mystic Mongol posted:

I find her somewhat tragic--a talented, clever, beautiful young woman should be doing extremely well for herself, but some twist of fate has left her damaged--unable to connect to her fellow living beings on a meaningful level. We'll probably never find out what happened to her, but it shouldn't have.

Nevertheless, that bitch needs to die.

As you command:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0830.html

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

MikeJF posted:

Jesus. That is.. I don't want to say that it's unneccesarily brutal, but it's incredibly brutal nontheless. It's a testament to the power of offscreen that it comes off so horribly. This definitely makes me hope that one of those $1250 donors is thinking the same way as us and wants to know what the hell was wrong with her.

Niton fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jan 23, 2012

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

MikeJF posted:

It was even better then I had imagined.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Tertiary Stresses posted:

As you command:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0830.html

Holy poo poo. That was incredible. Nasty, brutal, but absolutely necessary.

Really powerful writing.

He used a spell silently two strips ago. He knew he would probably have to do this. And what an appropriate death for the undead-loving warped mind of Tsukiko. She really shouldn't have overplayed her hand.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 23, 2012

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

He used a spell silently two strips ago. He knew he would probably have to do this.
:eng101: Actually, he used his evil cleric's ability to Rebuke/Command Undead (in this case Command since his level was sufficiently high), which is the counterpart to a good cleric's Turn/Destroy Undead and is inherently silent (although no self-respecting good cleric would pass up a chance to shout "Begone, foul monster!" in an appropriately booming voice).

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

NihilCredo posted:

:eng101: Actually, he used his evil cleric's ability to Rebuke/Command Undead (in this case Command since his level was sufficiently high), which is the counterpart to a good cleric's Turn/Destroy Undead and is inherently silent (although no self-respecting good cleric would pass up a chance to shout "Begone, foul monster!" in an appropriately booming voice).

And he had his hand on his holy symbol--Xykon's phylactery--when he did it. I completely missed that when I read that strip.

Redcloak is badass.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Poil posted:

Come on guys, surely someone else besides me like Tsukiko. :(

Nope, she existed purely to be a foil between Redcloak and Xykon and to get this bit of exposition out to people who haven't read Start of Darkness. Pretty much how Miko existed pretty much exclusively as a hook to get The Order onto the main plotline. After that job is done, death is inevitable.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Goddamn, that was amazing. Never, ever underestimate Redcloak.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Is it wrong that I'm now cheering for Xykon as the underdog against Redcloak?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've started just cheering for everyone. I really couldn't decide.

e: vvv I'm pretty sure I remember reading that he actually doesn't, no.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jan 23, 2012

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
So, one thing about this strip comes to mind.

Let's say Redcloak gets his plan to work. Does he plan to SURVIVE it? Because I can only imagine how pissed off Xykon'll be when he realizes that yeah, he got turned into a Lich and went through all this basically to serve the desires of someone who, you know, actually wants to do Evil for a greater reason (rather than just subscribing to 'Evil is doing whatever you want in as dickish a manner as possible' mindset Xykon does), desires which Xykon holds in complete contempt.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Cornwind Evil posted:

So, one thing about this strip comes to mind.

Let's say Redcloak gets his plan to work. Does he plan to SURVIVE it? Because I can only imagine how pissed off Xykon'll be when he realizes that yeah, he got turned into a Lich and went through all this basically to serve the desires of someone who, you know, actually wants to do Evil for a greater reason (rather than just subscribing to 'Evil is doing whatever you want in as dickish a manner as possible' mindset Xykon does), desires which Xykon holds in complete contempt.

Redcloak's plan has from the very beginning been to hand control over to The Dark One, allowing him to coerce the other gods into remaking the world in a way that isn't unfair to goblinkind. He has never planned on surviving.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

prefect posted:

Is it wrong that I'm now cheering for Xykon as the underdog against Redcloak?

Yes, yes you are.

I think I've though up a plausible excuse Redcloak could use to explain away Tsukiko's disappearance. He could say that she took a squad of wights and is pursuing the Resistance, who are believed to have fled the area. Tsukiko will still be under the effects of the Cloister spell, so she can't be scryed or contacted until it wears off, and that'll take months. He could also say that he told her to come back with the phylactery or not at all.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Well remember plan A is to just negotiate with the Gods for something more fair (PC race?) for goblins, its only if that fails that they destroy the world and get their spot at the table when Earth 3 is made.

That said, you also have to remember that Xykon's transformation was as much a product of being really bored as it was anything Redcloak did.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Xykon will forget Tsukiko inside a week when he spots something shiny.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Tsukiko will still be under the effects of the Cloister spell, so she can't be scryed or contacted until it wears off, and that'll take months.

You can do stuff in-cloister. It's a barrier, not a block.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Pope Guilty posted:

Xykon will forget Tsukiko inside a week when he spots something shiny.

Less that, more "She got in the way so I fed her to her own wights" would amuse Xykon enough that he wouldn't care about the details.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

He might be slightly annoyed he didn't get to watch though.

That was the perfect death for her. I liked her but she went the way she, probably, wanted. I'm content. :)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't know. Xykon is arrogant, but I can't see this not having some kind of repercussion for Redcloak. Even if he lies to Xykon, I'm pretty sure "Tsukiko goes missing" is the sort of thing he'd find suspicious and "I, uh, killed Tsukiko because she was going to betray you" is the sort of thing he'd call as bullshit from Redcloak. I'd bet he lets it pass but pulls it out later to gently caress Redcloak over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm going with "I killed her because she got mouthy and I was having a bad day". Xykon would probably accept that better than any other lie.