Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I like to tell people this:

Try whatever WADs you like with Brutal Doom, but bring friends. Whatever difficulty you are on, FRIENDS make it possible.

So, find some friends, folks.

EDIT: Even nightmare is possible, and even hilarious with 10 dudes.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

SnipeBob posted:

- Plutonia: Haven't done this one yet. It's next on my list.

Good luck!

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Retroblazer is a pretty good alpha, but there really isn't enough content for a commercial release. What did the developer have in mind for the full release?

SnipeBob
Dec 8, 2006

"You mechs may have copper wiring to reroute your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel."
:stare:

I'm convinced that Plutonia Map 7 Caughtyard is impossible with Brutal Doom on UV. For one player, at least.

You're stuck in a courtyard with no cover and no health pickups. After killing 6 or so Mancubus in close quarters, you are then treated to a firing squad of Revenants from above.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

r1ngwthszzors posted:

Retroblazer is a pretty good alpha, but there really isn't enough content for a commercial release. What did the developer have in mind for the full release?

The current version is a very unfinished version (no character upgrades, an enemy type or two missing, no boss) version of episode 1 of a probable three. The sounds are currently placeholders - they're trying to make a new set that sound as close to Megaman X as they can get without actually being direct rips.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

God drat it, why did the Russian Overkill guy have to take down the downloads? At least I still have the ZDoom version, which I'm playing with Deus Vult and makes it way easier...

...except when I stupidly fired off a Redeemer into a room without running away, which killed me.

Reive
May 21, 2009

If anyone is interested the XBLA version of Doom 1 is back up after being gone for so long.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

Zeether posted:

God drat it, why did the Russian Overkill guy have to take down the downloads? At least I still have the ZDoom version, which I'm playing with Deus Vult and makes it way easier...

...except when I stupidly fired off a Redeemer into a room without running away, which killed me.

It turns out one of the character sprites was done by someone he hadn't credited, and when he realized that he was like "oh poo poo my bad" and took the downloads away until he can get permission to use the sprite by its creator.

At this point, I don't think he'll be putting them back up until he finishes the next update.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I realise I've asked for this before and that you have other projects on the go now but Kins, could you update ReDoom? It's still my go-to mod for a vanilla Doom experience but some bugs that were introduced with later GZDoom builds irk, like Spectres having regular Pinky gibs and the chainsaw behaving like it's hitting a wall wherever you fire it.
Brutal Doom is great and all but the difficulty hike is a bit much for me on most custom campaigns and ReDoom does all I want otherwise.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Dark Forces has degenerated into a platforming fps. It's seriously the funniest thing jumping down into my doom again and again. This makes me sad considering the Dark Forces series used to be my favorite games ever and I'm now realizing that all of them include vertical deathtraps.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I was just thinking that if someone made a multiplayer Kingsfield I would be in heaven.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Retroblazer is pretty fun. I wish ammo was a little less scarce, though. Either that or beef up the main sidearm, I know they're going for the arcadey-style temporary powerup thing but sometimes it can be a bit of a slog just fighting 2 or 3 guys who aren't otherwise challenging.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Has anyone tried out Harmony yet (the Doom total conversion that took 8 years to finish?) So far I like it, but the game is actually very hard even on Easy.

Above Our Own posted:

Retroblazer is pretty fun. I wish ammo was a little less scarce, though. Either that or beef up the main sidearm, I know they're going for the arcadey-style temporary powerup thing but sometimes it can be a bit of a slog just fighting 2 or 3 guys who aren't otherwise challenging.

You can charge the main sidearm (I haven't tried binding it yet) and it drains your armor energy to do a lot of damage.

The game has a really good pacing and I hope they keep that for the commercial version. But you're right, the alpha doesn't really put you into really challenging rooms.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Yeah, the alt fire was cool (all the weapons have alt fires) but also extremely expensive. You get enough energy in a level for like 2-3 shots with the sidearm per level, maybe 5-6 if you actively seek out all the energy blips. I just feel like you end up using the main fire on the sidearm way too much for how little damage/range it has.

Possible solutions:
  • Beef up the range and damage on the sidearm
  • Lower the alt fire damage and grant passive energy regeneration
  • Change the other weapons to temporary powerups that have no ammo restrictions but only last a short duration. The way it is now you end up saving them for intense situations anyways, a powerup you can activate (a la Quad Damage) would be a more fun way of doing it while still keeping the same balance. Bonus points for fitting in with the arcade theme.
  • Have enemies drop ammo, put more ammo on the map, and increase the maximum ammo storage. You will go through the max 200 rounds on the machine gun in about 30 seconds of use.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Can anyone elaborate a bit on what "Monster Mayhem" is from AEons of Death? It was added in 6.01, but neither the v6 nor the v6.02 mods elaborate on it. It seems to be a mode (difficulty?) where monsters randomly spawn, but is there anything more to it?

Edit: Also, while I'm on the subject of ÆoD, what exactly does "Ammo power" replenish? It doesn't seem to actively fill up the weapon I'm holding. The readme doesn't tell me anything.

Morter fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 27, 2012

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Morter posted:

Can anyone elaborate a bit on what "Monster Mayhem" is from AEons of Death? It was added in 6.01, but neither the v6 nor the v6.02 mods elaborate on it. It seems to be a mode (difficulty?) where monsters randomly spawn, but is there anything more to it?

Edit: Also, while I'm on the subject of ÆoD, what exactly does "Ammo power" replenish? It doesn't seem to actively fill up the weapon I'm holding. The readme doesn't tell me anything.

From the patch notes Monster Mayhem is just a renamed difficulty level. Ammo power makes your weapons slightly more damaging.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

How would you guys rank the episodes of the commercial releases of Doom 1, 2 and Final? I finally got to try Brutal Doom with Doom 1 and the first episode is incredibly good. I'm surprised John Romero designed such a fun shareware episode.

E2M1 and E2M2 haven't been as fun so far though. Is the shareware episode the best part of Doom 1? There's definitely a theme of the demo episodes being the best for games back then.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

r1ngwthszzors posted:

How would you guys rank the episodes of the commercial releases of Doom 1, 2 and Final? I finally got to try Brutal Doom with Doom 1 and the first episode is incredibly good. I'm surprised John Romero designed such a fun shareware episode.

E2M1 and E2M2 haven't been as fun so far though. Is the shareware episode the best part of Doom 1? There's definitely a theme of the demo episodes being the best for games back then.

I think the general consensus is that E1 is the better episode of Doom 1 (and in my opinion pretty much better than anything in Doom 2). I remember reading somewhere that they spent much longer working on the first episode because, as you've mentioned, it was the shareware episode and most people's first contact with the game. That's not to say that the next two episodes are weak - I think they just take a couple of levels to really kick in. I'm not especially a fan of Thy Flesh Consumed though that may be because my skill level doesn't seem to be quite as high as other Doom players and I find it a bit frustrating.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
Aleph One has updated to 1.0.1.

Aleph One posted:

Fixed launching on 64-bit Macs running Mac OS X 10.5
Fixed menu centering on monitors with aspect ratio narrower than 4:3
Fixed a crash in Netscript games with the XBLA HUD active
Lua additions: MonsterType.attacks_immediately, .cannot_be_dropped, .major, .minor, and .waits_with_clear_shot
Fixed a typo in Lua compatibility script
Fixed display of high characters in player names in XBLA HUD
Fixed crash in carnage messages when someone gets a fusion overload kill
Fixed Marathon 2 HD BoB hard death graphics
Updates to texture documentation
Draw multiple uplink chips in Marathon HUD

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Rather Dashing posted:

Wad opinions.

I agree with E1 being the best episode in Doom, while the others are just not as good, but still better than most (if not all) Doom 2 ones. At the other hand for some reason (may be Brutal Doom gameplay changes), TNT and Plutonia are quite nice and right behind Doom 1 episodes in terms of quality for me.

Is there any mod that ports the super shotgun and enemies from Doom 2 to Doom 1? Want to try E1 facing a mancubus or a chaingun guy where I normally face normal zombies or Imps.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Guillermus posted:

Is there any mod that ports the super shotgun and enemies from Doom 2 to Doom 1? Want to try E1 facing a mancubus or a chaingun guy where I normally face normal zombies or Imps.
It's entirely possible, but there's a few reasons why nobody really does it.
  • Id aren't really fans of mods that just port the Doom 2 art and sounds into Doom 1, and most people are happy to respect that.
  • Most people are kind of too lazy to make their own replacement graphics. KDIZD and that one Episode 5 mod Xaser made do it, though.
  • The Super Shotgun is hilariously overpowered in Doom 1's level designs.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
You don't need to port the sounds and art over, if all you want is the supershotgun, just load Doom2 as a PWAD and type GIVE SUPERSHOTGUN into ZDoom's console. No external mods are necessary (getting the monsters in would require a specially made "randomizer" style wad though).

EDIT: Loading in Doom2 as a PWAD might mess up the odd wall texture here and there, but nothing that would really impact anything seriously.

EDIT2: VVVVV This also works correctly if you load Doom2 as a PWAD.

H2Omelon fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jan 29, 2012

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
You can summon Doom 2 monsters/items in Doom 1 using the appropriate console commands. They don't show up since the relevant sprites and sound effects don't exist in Doom 1, but they're still there in function. Typing SUMMONFRIEND ARCHVILE in Doom 1 and watching enemies suddenly leap up into the air and die is amazing the first time you see it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

It's entirely possible, but there's a few reasons why nobody really does it.

Yeah I understand this, was just for messing around. With Brutal Doom shotgun balance i found myself using the SS less overall because the added pellets/accuracy makes the vanilla shotgun deadly with the headshot mechanic. I posted a while ago (it was in the previous thread i think) this pic:

(my own hosting)

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I quite like the SSG balance in Brutal Doom. Yeah, it's much less accurate than the regular shotgun, but don't forget that it does critical hit damage if fired point-blank - more powerful than even a full headshot.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

The original PSX port of Doom had Doom 2 monsters in Ultimate Doom, and I believe entering 'BBBBBBBBBC' in the password option started you off on E1M2 with the pistol and super shotgun (you can't pick the SS up otherwise, in Doom 1, unless you play through a secret level right at the end of your Ultimate Doom playthrough).

I'd love to see somebody take a crack at altering Doom 1 to incorporate Doom 2 enemies and weapons. Megaspheres weren't a thing until Doom 2, were they?

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

an_mutt posted:

I'd love to see somebody take a crack at altering Doom 1 to incorporate Doom 2 enemies and weapons. Megaspheres weren't a thing until Doom 2, were they?
IIRC, one of the Doom2 wads on the Maximum Doom CD is actually a full remake of Episode 1, with extra Doom 2 monsters and items thrown in. Can't remember which one it is though, but it's definitely on the disc.

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

I'm just a clown in the eyes of the world :(

r1ngwthszzors posted:

It's funny that your reaction is surprised after finding this out. John Romero's levels are all the best in any of the Dooms. Doom 1 is much better than 2 and Final Doom. Have fun with those awful Sandy Peterson 'city' levels in Doom 2.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Eh, Doom 1 Episode 1 is a really great set of maps, but it's really hurt by the lack of monster variety.

I'd take Doom 2 over 1 any day simply for the much improved set of mid-range monsters. They really add a ton to the game.

SnipeBob
Dec 8, 2006

"You mechs may have copper wiring to reroute your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel."

Aphal posted:

It's funny that your reaction is surprised after finding this out. John Romero's levels are all the best in any of the Dooms. Doom 1 is much better than 2 and Final Doom. Have fun with those awful Sandy Peterson 'city' levels in Doom 2.

For the longest time, I never understood why I hated so many of Doom 2's levels. They were ugly and looked like someone put them together in less than an hour. Then I realized that most maps I hated were Sandy Peterson's. They must have been really pressed for time in creating Doom 2, because his Doom 1 levels are so much better designed.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Aphal posted:

Considering Daikatana was a Romero thing, I wrote him off as some kind of hack. That said, maybe the shareware levels just got more love?

And yeah, the enemies would usually be boring, except Brutal Doom buffs the grunts and imps so that they're actually enjoyable to fight.

Edit: Shores of Hell is getting pretty fun. I found a Doom dude NPC and he was kicking rear end. I'm sure I've beaten Doom before but replaying with Brutal is definitely worth it.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 30, 2012

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

r1ngwthszzors posted:

Considering Daikatana was a Romero thing, I wrote him off as some kind of hack. That said, maybe the shareware levels just got more love?

And yeah, the enemies would usually be boring, except Brutal Doom buffs the grunts and imps so that they're actually enjoyable to fight.

Having read Masters of Doom, I can firmly say that Daikatana happened because Romero went unchecked. He's a bit like George Lucas in that he has the potential to create fantastic work... so long as he has a team of people to put a stop to the twenty awful, overambitious ideas he has for every good one.

John Carmack is some kind of inhuman super genius, but a lot of his stuff without Romero (Doom 3, Rage) is technically impressive but lacks some of the genuine fun and passion Romero could press into games. I think that unless Romero or somebody else gets really into the development of Doom 4 with Carmack, it's going to fall short of the mark.

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009

Cobweb Heart posted:

John Carmack is some kind of inhuman super genius, but a lot of his stuff without Romero (Doom 3, Rage) is technically impressive but lacks some of the genuine fun and passion Romero could press into games. I think that unless Romero or somebody else gets really into the development of Doom 4 with Carmack, it's going to fall short of the mark.

I honestly wish that they would just get the original team to come back and work on Doom 4 as one last "hurrah", its just gonna feel off no matter what due to the fact that Adrian Carmack won't be designing any of the enemies, textures, or general setting of the game, John Romero won't be there to incorporate his own brand of excellence and level design, and Tom Hall to dictate the level progression and flow

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah Romero and Carmack basically need each other, but for some reason haven't figured that out yet.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I'm truly sorry I skipped bits and pieces of this thread. If it hasn't been mentioned, what about Quarantine?
No, it's not a car game. It's a FPS with basic RPG elements. you just happen to be perma-stuck inside a hover taxi in a prison city.
I had so drat much fun in that game. Tearing around the city, doing missions, picking up fares to earn cash to fix my hosed up taxi / buy weapons and upgrades etc. and ejecting passengers with missions that gave me the shits.
The battery packs were some of the best upgrades. The taxi could only go where the power grid was. If you strayed off, say into a park or something the taxi would start misbehaving and taking damage. Batteries gave it a little offroad time so shortcuts were possible.
It was a 2.5D game, in some ways closer to Wolf3D than Doom, but there definitely was Y axis tracking. There were these lifts to get up on buildings etc. If I got the taxi going at an insane speed (easy because the level was a whole city!) and hit a certain lift I could launch the taxi far enough to escape from the prison walls.Do you know what was out there? Memory. Ie the rest of the game. There were some interesting random constructs in that sparse landscape.

I may have asked this somewhere already but does anyone remember a mech game demo called "Z.A.R." ? I had it on a cover CD which is currently in an unknown location with most of the discs. All I have found are a few vague mutterings on the 'web. Anyway it's a mech game. Vaguely like Mechwarrior etc. It seemed to use a voxel technology with deformable terrain. it was possible to blast the poo poo out of hills. There was also water. I also remember trying to jump would cause the mech damage. There was probably something I had to do to land it, but I don't know. I think the demo was essentially an awesome tech demo.

One last comment from me. Did anyone ever play with the Doom to Duke3d map converter? Buggy as hell but I had so much fun converting Doom levels and beating them into submission enough with the Duke level editor to make them playable.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

SnipeBob posted:

Then I realized that most maps I hated were Sandy Peterson's. They must have been really pressed for time in creating Doom 2, because his Doom 1 levels are so much better designed.
Peterson joined id software about 2-3 months before Doom 1 was released, fixed up 8 maps started by Tom Hall and created another 11 maps from scratch. I doubt he was more pressed for time during the development of Doom 2 than he must have been for the development of Doom 1. He's just a pretty lovely, lazy mapper in general (though the PSX Doom port guys did excellent work in fixing up some of the maps he made).

r1ngwthszzors posted:

Romero created Daikatana but I don't think he was directly responsible with designing many, if any, of the maps. Those were the work of Kris Klie/his Quake playing significant other and whatever other poor saps he had running around the Ion Storm officed by the end of the game's development.

Zero Star posted:

IIRC, one of the Doom2 wads on the Maximum Doom CD is actually a full remake of Episode 1, with extra Doom 2 monsters and items thrown in. Can't remember which one it is though, but it's definitely on the disc.
I'll definitely have to try and track this down. :)

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

an_mutt posted:

his Quake playing significant other

That would be "Killcreek" Case.

Also god drat do I miss PCXL. I remember vividly the "Golden Crackpipe Awards" for poo poo games.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

co199 posted:

That would be "Killcreek" Case.

Also god drat do I miss PCXL. I remember vividly the "Golden Crackpipe Awards" for poo poo games.

Maaaan, I remember that issue. The good old days...

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I remember reading paper. God, that takes me back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
For the longest time I thought Stevie Case and Steve Case were somehow related. This was in like 2001.