Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
It depends too much on your system's specific parts and how much, if at all, you are overclocking them. That's a quad-rail PSU, and drawing video card power off Molex could take that power away from the CPU, leading to crashes under load.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
I can tell you most of what it's running:

AMD Phenom II X4 965
4x4GB DDR2 (older motherboard)
Powercolor 6870
2x WD Green SATA2 2TB drives
1x Kingston SSD

+ a couple of 120mm fans, and I'd say ~4 USB devices

CPU is running stock, currently the GPU is overclocked to 960/1250, no change to voltage.

I don't know if any of that helps or if the answer will simply always be "no way to know until you plug it in". If it's the latter, I can live without a second card. It's more of a nice-to-have.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

So, I'm cleaning out the closet in my second bedroom and I'm not sure what to do with all of the computer hardware that I've accumulated over the years that I'm no longer using.

The stockpile includes:

Pentium II 266 CPU and some motherboard
Pentium III 866 CPU and some motherboard
SB Audigy 2 soundcard with front panel break out box
Various video cards (Voodoo 3, nVidia 7900 GT, old Monster 3D, etc.)
Stack of optical drives
Stack of HDDs that don't work
Big bag of assorted RAM

So, what the hell should I do with this stuff?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Carl Seitan posted:

So, I'm cleaning out the closet in my second bedroom and I'm not sure what to do with all of the computer hardware that I've accumulated over the years that I'm no longer using.

The stockpile includes:

Stack of optical drives
Big bag of assorted RAM

Put it on craigslist, you might get lucky and sell one or two things.

Then just take whatever is left (probably everything) to a proper recycler in your area.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Carl Seitan posted:

The stockpile includes:

Stack of optical drives
Big bag of assorted RAM

King Nothing in SA-Mart might be interested in the platters from those hard drives.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Hey, I have an old hard drive from an old PC, doesn't work anymore, can't get it to start, (fried motherboard/processor/power supply) that has some files I need to pull off of it, and I only have a macbook pro. Is there anything I can do, maybe a cable I could buy?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Carl Seitan posted:

The stockpile includes:

Stack of optical drives
Big bag of assorted RAM

If the parts work you can check ebay for prices to see if it's either some old part that actually has demand and may sell for a decent amount, or if it's too old and unneeded so as to be nearly worthless. Some of the old video cards might sell to collectors, but things like optical drives, hard drives, and the CPUs are probably nearly worthless.

RAM is one of those things that may be worth selling depending on its age.

Jefferoo posted:

Hey, I have an old hard drive from an old PC, doesn't work anymore, can't get it to start, (fried motherboard/processor/power supply) that has some files I need to pull off of it, and I only have a macbook pro. Is there anything I can do, maybe a cable I could buy?

I use one of these IDE/sata to USB adapters to mount old hard disks I don't want to plug into a computer internally. Mine's some cheap chinese brand and it works fine, so something like: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002 should work decently. I do not know anything about Macintosh filesystem support, however, so if it's a windows disk with fat32 or ntfs filesystems you might need some software to read the disk once it's plugged in.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Ah, okay, I just need to pull some PDFs, that's all.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Seconding just taking it to a recycler in your area. Just about anything you do with those things will not be worth the time it takes to do it. Like the Audigy might be the only thing that is worth Craigslisting.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Martytoof posted:

Seconding just taking it to a recycler in your area. Just about anything you do with those things will not be worth the time it takes to do it. Like the Audigy might be the only thing that is worth Craigslisting.
I sold a few big lots of 256MB DDR1 on eBay and ended up with ~$200, so he could try auctioning it there. Beyond that, the 7900 might grab 30-40, and the Audigy could sell for a small amount. The HDD's, CPUs, and optical drives are pretty worthless though.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Can anyone recommend a good hard drive wipe tool I can run from a thumb drive? Need to format a whole bunch of drives and I don't want to install an OS or use my desktop. I used to use dban but I just tried to run it from a thumb drive and it kept giving me errors.

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Don't be fooled into replying, I am either a lesson in Poe's Law or incredibly fucking stupid, or both. Also I can't read charts and graphs and think image macros about Paul Ryan's genius are fun and exciting! Run me over with Biden's Trans-Am!
I have a question regarding case fans. Is it bad to always run your case fans at the max RPM? I have two spinning at the max of 2580RPM.

Also on a graphics card, is setting the fan speed in Precision to 80 too high?

Yinzer fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 22, 2012

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Alexander Nevermind posted:

I have a question regarding case fans. Is it bad to always run your case fans at the max RPM? I have two spinning at the max of 2580RPM.

Also on a graphics card, is setting the fan speed in Precision to 80 too high?
If you're talking about high-quality ball-bearing or FDB fans (assuming you meant the SD's) they're designed to run at 100% for 5-10 years or so depending on the manufacturer.

The GPU fan is also designed to go to 100% (probably not 24/7, but they're designed with long gaming sessions in mind), so you shouldn't have any issues for the conceivable life of the card unless you manage to break a fan-blade somehow. Just keep it free of dust buildup and you should be good to go.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
I would like my desktop to get wifi signals. What is a good way to do this? I would prefer a USB version, but it also needs to be pretty fast or it isn't worth it. Is this possible? I don't really know how this usually works.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

semicolonsrock posted:

I would like my desktop to get wifi signals. What is a good way to do this? I would prefer a USB version, but it also needs to be pretty fast or it isn't worth it. Is this possible? I don't really know how this usually works.

Trivially possible with a USB wireless adapter.

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Don't be fooled into replying, I am either a lesson in Poe's Law or incredibly fucking stupid, or both. Also I can't read charts and graphs and think image macros about Paul Ryan's genius are fun and exciting! Run me over with Biden's Trans-Am!
Stupid short question: When you need to update drivers for a graphics card or sound card or whatever, do you have to uninstall the original first then load the new ones? Or can you just load the new drivers?

grumperfish posted:

If you're talking about high-quality ball-bearing or FDB fans (assuming you meant the SD's) they're designed to run at 100% for 5-10 years or so depending on the manufacturer.

The GPU fan is also designed to go to 100% (probably not 24/7, but they're designed with long gaming sessions in mind), so you shouldn't have any issues for the conceivable life of the card unless you manage to break a fan-blade somehow. Just keep it free of dust buildup and you should be good to go.

Excellent, thanks!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Alexander Nevermind posted:

Stupid short question: When you need to update drivers for a graphics card or sound card or whatever, do you have to uninstall the original first then load the new ones? Or can you just load the new drivers?

Usually you don't need to, and proactively removing them before adding the new can make it annoying to install the new.

deichkind42
Feb 22, 2004
Question: My new PC has the PSU on the bottom, so the fan opening faces towards the floor. Entire floor in the computer room is covered with carpet.
So far i've put the computer on an old big rear end book so it doesn't sit on the carpet directly... anything else i should do or is this enough to prevent the PSU from getting full of carpet?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Is that fan opening an intake or an exhaust? If it's the latter you need to think about preventing the unit from overheating.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

deichkind42 posted:

Question: My new PC has the PSU on the bottom, so the fan opening faces towards the floor. Entire floor in the computer room is covered with carpet.
So far i've put the computer on an old big rear end book so it doesn't sit on the carpet directly... anything else i should do or is this enough to prevent the PSU from getting full of carpet?

I assume there is a cutout on the bottom for the intake. Does it have a filter? Does the case have feet of some kind?

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Is that fan opening an intake or an exhaust? If it's the latter you need to think about preventing the unit from overheating.

I've never seen a PSU that exhausts that way. Recently, at least, and perhaps ever.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Dogen posted:

I've never seen a PSU that exhausts that way. Recently, at least, and perhaps ever.

I have, once.

Pentium III era either Compaq or Fujitsu-siemens desktop. Weird PSU size and shape, had a fan that blew into the case, cowled over the CPU. Yup, the CPU was cooled by hot air from the PSU.

To be fair, the PSU was probably tiny in output so the air coming out wasn't very warm, but you can see why such a design wasn't repeated.

deichkind42
Feb 22, 2004
Yes the case has feet and a filter on the bottom. But i'm a bit paranoid since i remember reading carpet should not be close to electronic devices with a fan.
Do i worry too much?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

deichkind42 posted:

Yes the case has feet and a filter on the bottom. But i'm a bit paranoid since i remember reading carpet should not be close to electronic devices with a fan.
Do i worry too much?

As long as you have decent clearance between the intake and the carpet you should be fine.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Will this still be reasonably speedy? Like, not significantly worse then the speed of a laptop connection?

e: it looks like some reviews are complaining that it is bad for gaming. Is there a wireless USB adapter which will be fast enough for gaming? I would rather not do the whole PCI thing.

e2: specifically out of these:
http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wireless-adapters/work-and-play/WNA3100.aspx
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=652
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833168077
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704045

Would any of them be decent choices for internet gaming? I just want to play League of Legends with reasonable ping. I'm ok with spending $60, but if a $25 one is good enough for gaming then I'd obviously rather get the cheaper one.

semicolonsrock fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 23, 2012

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

semicolonsrock posted:

Will this still be reasonably speedy? Like, not significantly worse then the speed of a laptop connection?

e: it looks like some reviews are complaining that it is bad for gaming. Is there a wireless USB adapter which will be fast enough for gaming? I would rather not do the whole PCI thing.
You're basically never going to get a gaming experience equivalent to a wired connection while using wireless. The only adapters that really come close are the Bigfoot Networks Killer Wireless adapters, but they're only available for laptops. If there's any way you can keep using Ethernet that's definitely your best option.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
I played BF3 on the TP-Link for a while when I didn't have an Ethernet cable for my desktop. I imagine all of them should do what you want.

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes
I have a Rosewill USB adapter with an antenna I got for $10 on Newegg and I play BF3 online with no issues, and usually get 1.2+MB/sec downloading from Steam, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I would worry about it, particularly if signal drops for a few seconds leading to a DC in the middle of a boss fight / fire fight etc.

Intern Dan
Mar 30, 2010

Stump Truck posted:

I have a Rosewill USB adapter with an antenna I got for $10 on Newegg and I play BF3 online with no issues, and usually get 1.2+MB/sec downloading from Steam, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Same here. Specifically, with LoL, ping is around 67ms on a decent DSL connection. Unless your adapter is truly lovely or you're inhuman and can react within a tolerance of 2ms or something they'll all work fine in terms of latency.

Steakandchips has a good point however on drops. As long as the adapter isn't total poo poo though that'll be dependent on your router and the other wireless traffic in the area. For what it's worth I've used two different Rosewill 150mbps USB adapters on two desktops for over a year and have never (as in actually never) had a signal drop.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I want to build a cheap HTPC, it will be used for streaming from a NAS and downloading things to the NAS whilst im out without having to boot up my loud power consuming desktop. So I have come up with this:

Have I missed anything obvious? (CPU is part of the mobo)

The only 2 questions I have are:
1. a SSD is double the price of the HDD (everything will be streamed so only need small storage on this) I'd only upgrade for the noise factor- is it going to be a major issue - I'm thinking not as the NAS is in the same room anyway and that's never been a problem.

2. TV Cards - I know nothing about them but I might stick one in and have this computer act as a PVR/DVR type device - what do I need to know to pick one (I'm in the UK)

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to connect my PC to my hdtv with no success. It has a Radeon HD 6750 card with an HDMI port so I figured I could just connect it to a HDMI port on my TV. Catalyst control center isn't detecting it. Rebooted stuff and no luck. Updated tv firmware and drivers and googling mostly brings up stores selling the things I have questions about.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

angry armadillo posted:

I want to build a cheap HTPC, it will be used for streaming from a NAS and downloading things to the NAS whilst im out without having to boot up my loud power consuming desktop. So I have come up with this:

1. a SSD is double the price of the HDD (everything will be streamed so only need small storage on this) I'd only upgrade for the noise factor- is it going to be a major issue - I'm thinking not as the NAS is in the same room anyway and that's never been a problem.

2. TV Cards - I know nothing about them but I might stick one in and have this computer act as a PVR/DVR type device - what do I need to know to pick one (I'm in the UK)
Up to you, but I'd suggest going with a larger matx or atx case for these reasons:

1. More HDD space for media. Convenient for backups and media storage/centralization. It would also be more upgradeable in the future, as you could just swap in a new board/CPU without having to go with a SFF variant.

2. Cheaper replacement parts. If you need to replace a PSU, you can go with any standard ATX part. If you ended up wanting to use the HTPC for gaming (stuff like Dolphin, PS2 emulation, or light gaming) you'd want a bigger PSU and more space for a discrete GPU anyways.

3. Easier to cool with 120mm fans and a controller. Especially if you plan to add more HDD's in the future.

4. Easier to work with a larger case. SFF cases can be a PITA when you're switching out parts vs. a general midtower case.

The kit you've picked out would work for your requirements, however it has some limitations for upgrading that you'd need to keep in mind. If you wanted to use that board/CPU as an HTPC/fileserver, you shouldn't have any problems, although you won't be able to use it for gaming/emulation if that matters at all. I went with an SFF setup for my first HTPC/mediaPC and ended up having to trade up for a larger case later on as tracking down parts that would fit was irritating vs. just using cheaper used components.

E: Didn't realize the case fits a standard PSU. I'd still suggest looking at a bigger case if you want more drives at some point.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jan 24, 2012

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

angry armadillo posted:

Well, you missed the parts picking thread. It's stickied.

Besides that, it looks like you've got a case that takes a standard ATX power supply, and a power supply in the smaller micro-ATX size. That won't fit without an adapter plate. You'd be better off with a full ATX power supply. Also, don't buy generic power supplies. They're noisy, unreliable, built with nonexistent quality control, and can damage other components in your system. Even on a low-power computer like that one, you're better off with something from a reliable brand.

8GB is overkill for what you're doing. Drop to a single 4GB stick; the E-series memory controller is single-channel.

Depending on prices in your country, you might do better switching to a low-end Core i3 or Athlon rather than the E-350. It's a great netbook chipset (I'm typing up this post on an E-350 netbook right now, and I love it), but the CPU side of things is pretty underpowered. In a desktop without battery life concerns, you're probably OK sacrificing a few watts for extra CPU performance.

I wouldn't go with an SSD in a budget HTPC build. Modern hard drives are pretty quiet, and when you're across the room with a movie going, the noise isn't going to be a major problem for most people. DVRs have had hard drives for years and nobody's had much of an issue. If you're really concerned about noise, keep in mind, you can also buy a mobile hard drive and suspend it on rubber bands.

Pimpsolo
Jun 6, 2004

Anyone able to identify the case in this picture?

I wanted to try to make a Bates 4000 for my next computer.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Pimpsolo posted:

No idea, but is that Paul Scheer (Andre from The League) I see there? :haw: What movie/TV show is that?

Pimpsolo
Jun 6, 2004

Heh, yeah it is him. It's from from the (2008) "The Onion Movie"

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=45b_1245438109

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I have a couple of silly questions since I put my computer in a new case.

The new case has front panel USB 3.0 inputs that requires the use of some fancy 20-pin internal header that is new to me and my 4 year old MB. I would like to make use of them. There are lots of PCIe USB 3.0 adapter cards on newegg, but none seem to have this 20-pin header. Am I dumb/missing something? Does it have a name?

If I get a USB 3.0 card, are there chipsets that LINUX would be more or less happy with?

Does anywhere sell internal SATA cables that are less than 6" in length?

Lastly, I have a geforce 8800GTS 320MB card which is a monster and sounds like a small jet. What is the cheapest modern NVIDIA card I can use that will be at least as fast? I just want something that is quieter! In the SA mart deals forum there is currently a $40 430 GT from amazon, but depending on where I look it is either about the same speed or a good bit slower than what I have, and it also apparently makes a decent bit of noise considering its small size.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Kaluza-Klein posted:

If I get a USB 3.0 card, are there chipsets that LINUX would be more or less happy with?
Not in my experience. I've used every controller in drat near every distro, and performance and reliability have been absolutely terrible.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The header thing expects a motherboard, I've seen converters that turn the header straight into plugs that you can plug a front port into since the USB 3 header wasn't all that common, but not the reverse...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

Pimpsolo posted:

This is the closest I can find.
It only has 2 5.25" bays instead of 3, and the 3.5" bays are centered instead of on the left.

It's an Apex/SuperCase TM-163
Newegg used to sell it http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811154053

• Locked thread