Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
You can do pretty much anything you want with the E-PL3 unless you are into some kind of very esoteric branch of photography. Very low light can be a challenge but that's what tripods are made for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007

rio posted:

tldr; Friends who are not into photography want a camera better than their Canon Powershot to shoot their baby girl indoors at night for under 500 bucks - other than a NEX3, what are some suggestions I should give them?

I don't know if it's in the budget but the fujifilm x10 has a "pro focus mode" feature, that blurs the background.

random flicker picture:

A Fujifilm X10 Pro Focus Mode Test Shot by norsez, on Flickr

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

iioshius posted:

I just bought a new Olympus PEN PL3, and I have what I suspect is a very dumb question. I'm new to the photography thing, so please forgive me.

What sorts of photography can I do with my new camera? Can I take neat macro photos like in the macro thread? Can I buy old lenses and mount them up backwards? It's hard to separate what I might be able to do from what I probably won't based on things I see in this forum.

Sorry again for the dumb question.

You need a macro lens. As far as mounting MF lens backward you might want to ask that question in the macro thread. Its for very specific application and you have to buy specific adapters and lens.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Conurus is developing an EF-to-NEX adapter that will allow control of the aperture from the camera. Given Conurus' track record, I think this has a good chance of working out. Unfortunately, it'll be $400.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/01/17/rumored-specs-for-the-upcoming-retro-styled-olympus-om-d/

Looks loving sexy

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

It won't be cheap, I'd imagine. You'd basically end up with an E-P3 with an EVF. I'd guess that it will come in around $1200 for the body alone.

I think the trick will be the lenses, more specifically lenses that will match the retro look of the camera body. The biggest thing with this camera will be the control scheme. I would imagine that there would be an exposure compensation dial and possibly a couple others in addition to the regular E-P3 ones.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
At least Olympus stuff an EVF in it, unlike Panasonic, who just repackage the GF1 and call it a day.

Beside the 12mm, is there any retro looking m43 lens?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

HPL posted:

It won't be cheap, I'd imagine. You'd basically end up with an E-P3 with an EVF. I'd guess that it will come in around $1200 for the body alone.

I think the trick will be the lenses, more specifically lenses that will match the retro look of the camera body. The biggest thing with this camera will be the control scheme. I would imagine that there would be an exposure compensation dial and possibly a couple others in addition to the regular E-P3 ones.

This will never ever happen but I would totally buy a DSLR with a native OM mount :allears:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Here's a video of a demonstration of the prototype of the EF-to-NEX adapter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY1Nm6ZDWJs&context=C3db6025ADOEgsToPDskJp_zMWyqYd5FJX3PsW-OGz

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Apologies for reposting this if I am, but I was checking Flickr for photos taken with legacy lenses on M4/3 cameras and I came across this thing called PinWide. Apparently it's a pinhole adapter for M4/3rd cameras that, judging by the sample photos, looks pretty cool. It's $40 freakin' bucks, though.

girl_crosswalk by wanderlustcameras, on Flickr

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Radbot posted:

Apologies for reposting this if I am, but I was checking Flickr for photos taken with legacy lenses on M4/3 cameras and I came across this thing called PinWide. Apparently it's a pinhole adapter for M4/3rd cameras that, judging by the sample photos, looks pretty cool. It's $40 freakin' bucks, though.

girl_crosswalk by wanderlustcameras, on Flickr

Why don't you poke a hole in a body cap?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

whatever7 posted:

Apparently this one is setup so it's ultra-wide angle, if that makes a difference.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Radbot posted:

Apparently this one is setup so it's ultra-wide angle, if that makes a difference.

I think pinholes are ultra-wide by default. Or at least, I don't think I've ever seen a pinhole shot that wasn't very wide angle.

whatever7 posted:

The more perfectly round you can get your pinhole, the sharper image you'll get. Poking a hole in a bit of tin foil will actually leave a pretty ragged hole. Laser-drilled pinholes are a step up from that, although apparently an electron microscope aperture is the best. I was trying to find one online a year or two ago and had no luck.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You got an example of the fancy high-tech pinhole photography?

Call me a grumpy old man I don't understand the point of a sharp pinhole image.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

whatever7 posted:

You got an example of the fancy high-tech pinhole photography?

Call me a grumpy old man I don't understand the point of a sharp pinhole image.

http://www.zeroimage.com/web2003/EntryPage/entryFrameset.htm

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I think pinholes are ultra-wide by default. Or at least, I don't think I've ever seen a pinhole shot that wasn't very wide angle.

With pinholes the focal length is just the distance from the hole to the film/sensor, so you can technically have any length you want to attach to the front of your camera. The lack of sharpness and tiny aperture mean wide angles are probably the only ones that give interesting images most of the time.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Yeah, doubt it will be as wonderful as a classic OM2 though.

But I would be interested in a retro styled model with a good sensor, fast and responsive EVF, and some manual focus aids ala Ricoh or Sony.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Seattle was just hit by a large winter storm. Luckily, my Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 showed up on a UPS truck literally as the snow started falling, so it gave me a chance to test it out today - it's not like I could make it in to work.

DSC00127 by Kelly_Davis, on Flickr

Here is a link to the full-sized original. The lens is picking up a tremendous amount of fine detail in the snow itself. It's a nice little lens.

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!
Does anyone here use an NEX series body with non-Sony lenses?
I'm currently running a D2, and have a ton of Nikon F-mount lenses, but the 4MP image quality and ridiculous size and weight are starting to get old. I want to know how well manual focus and exposure work, as I've never used anything with focus peaking or live view. I'm looking at either an NEX-5n or NEX-3/5 classic, since either one will be a giant step up in sensor performance.

MarsellusWallace fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 19, 2012

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

MarsellusWallace posted:

Does anyone here use an NEX series body with non-Sony lenses?
I'm currently running a D2, and have a ton of Nikon F-mount lenses, but the 4MP image quality and ridiculous size and weight are starting to get old. I want to know how well manual focus and exposure work, as I've never used anything with focus peaking or live view. I'm looking at either an NEX-5n or NEX-3/5 classic, since either one will be a giant step up in sensor performance.

I do. It works quite well. You can use it in aperture priority normally as long as the lens has a manual aperture control (or you like shooting wide open all the time) or you can use it in shutter priority with the camera adjusting the ISO in lieu of the aperture or you can run full manual. Adapters are cheap and plentiful on eBay. I would recommend getting the 5N of the three choices because the other two are nearing the end of the line plus the 5N has a better sensor and some ergonomic improvements because it's a second generation product.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

You can also run on P mode fairly well. The only issue I have run across for faster shooting without wanting to set as many parameters is that it will change ISO speeds before shutter speed, usually leaving the fastest shutter speed in that mode at 1/60. That is not a huge issue if you set one of the buttons to ISO and just set it manually.

I have been using FD lenses with focus peaking for a lo of shooting and have been pretty pleased. I am coming from an AE-1, so the live view was an adjustment. I think the real challenge for me is just learning to be better at MF with moving subjects on a live view screen. The focus peaking works very well, although to get it tack sharp I need to be zoomed in (which is just one button press), which with non stationary objects can occasionally be an issue. I am also not a pro, so those with more experience might not find any of this to be an issue. Overall, the 5N is really fantastic to me with MF lenses. Just being able to branch out to other lens systems with other adapters costing trivial amounts is really awesome.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

rio posted:

I have been using FD lenses with focus peaking for a lo of shooting and have been pretty pleased. I am coming from an AE-1, so the live view was an adjustment. I think the real challenge for me is just learning to be better at MF with moving subjects on a live view screen.

The key is to get to know your lenses. Different lenses have different swing arcs in different directions and with different friction. Eventually you'll get it where you're able to track a subject moving at a reasonable speed with okay accuracy. Remember that not even the greatest DSLRs in the world can track everything perfectly.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

HPL posted:

The key is to get to know your lenses. Different lenses have different swing arcs in different directions and with different friction.

This is so much fun going between a non-AI Nikon lens and a super smooth Minolta. Wrong direction, wrong friction/feel, wrong throw. At least the aperture rings go the same way.

Regarding adapters, I think the difference between the $30 or less ones and the ~$60 can be pretty substantial. Things like incorrect infinity focus, the tripod mount having screws that go all the way through the body, and how well everything fits together when mounting or unmounting. At least, that's true for the two I have, a no-brand Nikon G and a Fotodiox Pro Minolta MD.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Surprised to see this thread so quiet with all the OM-D buzz going on.

Looks like it will be a pretty interesting little camera. Weather sealing is a big bonus (though I wish more lenses than the 12-50 would have it!), integrated EVF is something I much prefer to bolt-on, and it sounds like they are spiffing up the sensor a bit. Could make for quite the capable compact setup for when you don't want to drag the big guns around.

43rumors posted:

I am pretty confident that those will be the specs (expect minor changes only):
- Camera has a classic OM design
- It has a magnesium body
- It is weathers sealed
- weight 373 g (body only).
- 16 megapixel sensor optimized for High Dynamic Range
- 200 up to 25.600 ISO
- Built-in electronic viewfinder 1.44 million dots (positioned in the center of the body like the old OM optical viewfinders and same resolution as the external VF-2 viewfinder (Click here to see on Amazon).
- 610.000 pixel OLED tilting 3 inch screen.
- Five-axis image stabilizer in body.
- FAST AF and 3D tracking
- Comes in Black or Silver.
- Price: Around $1.100 in USA or 1.000 Euro in Europe.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
Here's an alleged picture of the OM-D

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I hope not. That grip looks like crap.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Costello Jello posted:

Yeah that's a fake. The grip is the same as the E-P3, and they wouldn't be advertising the 45 if the 12-60mm was the kit lens. This looks much more like a real leaked picture.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

So, who wants to place any bets that the NEX-7 I ordered direct from Sony ~6 weeks ago ships tomorrow? When I first ordered it, I was quoted a ship date of the 23rd. Given Sony's luck with the NEX-7, I expect a meteor to hit the UPS truck as it pulls up to my house.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
It's safer to assume UPS train derailment, as those happen moderately frequently.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Costello Jello posted:

"So basically to make this camera look like an OM it must have a fake pentaprism casing, because an EVF camera doesnt have a pentaprism.
Also it must have a fake mirrorbox, because an EVF camera doesnt have a mirror.
If they do it, I hope it also has a fake pre-recorded mirror slap, just so there is no doubt just how lame olympus has become." _FredMiranda.com Forums

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Don't forget to make the battery door a teensy disc of metal that you have to unscrew with a coin. And then charge a ridiculous amount for replacement doors. No, I'm not bitter, why do you ask?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mightaswell posted:

"So basically to make this camera look like an OM it must have a fake pentaprism casing, because an EVF camera doesnt have a pentaprism.
Also it must have a fake mirrorbox, because an EVF camera doesnt have a mirror.
If they do it, I hope it also has a fake pre-recorded mirror slap, just so there is no doubt just how lame olympus has become." _FredMiranda.com Forums

The most important thing is the fake winder lever like that Epson camera.

Pentax's new EVIL will have the giant empty mirror box thing anyway since they are going to keep the mount.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 23, 2012

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007
We had a OM-1 throughout my childhood (I asked him for it but "oh we though that away years ago"), no batteries or light meter, just you the camera and my dad swearing because the winder had skinned his finger again.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

whatever7 posted:

Pentax's new EVIL will have the giant empty mirror box thing anyway since they are going to keep the mount.

That's true, if they keep the same mount they have to deal with the same flange distance anyway. Seems like a pretty pointless camera to me. Not that much more compact, but missing an OVF. What am I missing?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

whatever7 posted:

They can have a K-to-m4/3 adapter that looks just like a mirror box.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HPL posted:

They can have a K-to-m4/3 adapter that looks just like a mirror box.

That would be a m43 to K adapter. A K-to-m43 adapter will basically let the m43 lens sit inside the K mount.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

More rumor-mongering:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/olympus-eyeing-partnership-with-sony/

This rumor says that Olympus is eying ties with Sony, with a possibility that Sony could make image sensors for Olympus in return for access to IP, etc. from Olympus' endoscopy and microscopy business. This is a rumor I REALLY want to be true. A camera system with an 4/3 image sensor designed by Sony and m4/3 lenses would be the perfect mirrorless system.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

whatever7 posted:

The most important thing is the fake winder lever like that Epson camera.

The lever cocks the shutter.

Now add the crank from that educational DIY camera, and get a fully mechanical digital rangefinder.

Costello Jello posted:

More rumor-mongering:

This rumor says that Olympus is eying ties with Sony, with a possibility that Sony could make image sensors for Olympus in return for access to IP, etc. from Olympus' endoscopy and microscopy business. This is a rumor I REALLY want to be true. A camera system with an 4/3 image sensor designed by Sony and m4/3 lenses would be the perfect mirrorless system.

If wikipedia's list of sensor areas and my math are right, a 5N sensor cut down to M4/3 size would still be almost 10mp.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Costello Jello posted:

More rumor-mongering:

Nah. I prefer a NEX camera designed by Olympus.

Panasonic should really man up and pick up those new issued O stocks. Panasonic sensor is already 1-2 generations behind the competition. Without Olympus buying the sensor its going to be worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

whatever7 posted:

Nah. I prefer a NEX camera designed by Olympus.

Yes, a million times yes. The NEX is a fantastic camera but it seems a little... industrial.