Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Can anyone recommend a good pair of earplugs for me? It gets pretty noisy in my apartment and I don't always want to listen to music to drown it out. I'd prefer reusable ones, but disposable is fine too.

Edit: whoops I guess this is better suited for the product recommendation thread. My apologies!

For just general use, or sleeping?

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-Protection-Earplugs-Standard/dp/B0044DEESS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1327284131&sr=8-3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
What does it feel like to be shot and have a bullet hit you, get lodged inside you, or pass through you? I just haven't heard too many stories about this. Please, if you can, go into detail if you've experienced it or heard an account from someone.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I would like to subscribe to a podcast dealing with political issues. I just want some laid-back light analysis and coverage about what's going on. NPR's political junkie is something I enjoy, if that's any indicator of anything.

Is there anything out there that will fit this kind of bill and/or is there a thread that handles this kind of stuff?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

JDanielS posted:

I would like to subscribe to a podcast dealing with political issues. I just want some laid-back light analysis and coverage about what's going on. NPR's political junkie is something I enjoy, if that's any indicator of anything.

Is there anything out there that will fit this kind of bill and/or is there a thread that handles this kind of stuff?

Our newest forum deals in all things radio and podcast
http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=255

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
There is a device I see some pilots and other people carry around, it is shaped like a hexagon, and it is blue and white. People usually have them clipped to their lapel. I never thought of asking people what it is for, does anyone know what i'm talking about?
Edit nurses might wear them as well.

b0nes fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 23, 2012

Orkiec
Dec 28, 2008

My gut, huh?
I can't remember what they were called, but royalty used to sit in them during travel and they were carried by four people. It sort of looked like a box with four handles and the inside would be very opulent. Does this ring any bells?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Orkiec posted:

I can't remember what they were called, but royalty used to sit in them during travel and they were carried by four people. It sort of looked like a box with four handles and the inside would be very opulent. Does this ring any bells?

Sedan chair.

edit: I liked mine until my carriers tried to unionize. Motorcoaches from now on.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 23, 2012

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
A palanquin.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Gaj posted:

I was just pulled over in Albany, NY. A state trooper pulled me over for not signalling, and took my license, registration and insurance. He then promptly drove off with it. I didnt get a unit number or anything like that, Ive call local departments and they all say they dont know anything/ no cars in that location. Should I bother them more or just report all that stuff stolen?

Edit: Called states and they also say its not them, even though they are the only ones with the uniform and car color. There is the possibility that whoever it was sheriff or K9 patrol they just had another call out and had to run, so should I just forget it or do I have to worry about some national ID theft scheme involving impersonating officers?

Er, if they still have your identification and aren't giving them back, either because it wasn't a cop or he had to "run out to another call", I would say definitely file a report that it was stolen, especially since this is either a huge breakdown in procedure, or there's a guy successfully impersonating a cop, and that never ends well.

Have you heard anything since yesterday?

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

b0nes posted:

There is a device I see some pilots and other people carry around, it is shaped like a hexagon, and it is blue and white. People usually have them clipped to their lapel. I never thought of asking people what it is for, does anyone know what i'm talking about?
Edit nurses might wear them as well.

Maybe a dosimeter?

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Golbez posted:

Er, if they still have your identification and aren't giving them back, either because it wasn't a cop or he had to "run out to another call", I would say definitely file a report that it was stolen, especially since this is either a huge breakdown in procedure, or there's a guy successfully impersonating a cop, and that never ends well.

Have you heard anything since yesterday?

Ive called all local departments and whatnot and they have nothing, no one even tagged my plates or anything. As of ten minutes ago I reported my license, registration, and insurance as lost, with an understanding of the situation with the local PD and state trooper office. So if my stuff shows up at a department or in a crime scene I think Im covered. I was just super paranoid cause welp my papers.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is/was Mr. T married? I can't seem to find anything about that.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

FogHelmut posted:

Is/was Mr. T married? I can't seem to find anything about that.
Searched "Mr T wife", got:

Mr. T is the father of three children - Lesa, Erika, and T Junior. However, he is currently single.

So, divorced maybe?

invid
Dec 19, 2002
What is playing from 0:56 to 1:17 in the background?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sIv4PHJqCnM

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Florida Betty posted:

Maybe a dosimeter?

Yes this is it. I didn't know such a device existed.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Gaj posted:

Ive called all local departments and whatnot and they have nothing, no one even tagged my plates or anything. As of ten minutes ago I reported my license, registration, and insurance as lost, with an understanding of the situation with the local PD and state trooper office. So if my stuff shows up at a department or in a crime scene I think Im covered. I was just super paranoid cause welp my papers.

Why are you calling local departments if it was a state trooper that took it?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Loopyface posted:

Why are you calling local departments if it was a state trooper that took it?

I think he meant the nearest state office. I was confused after his first post, but ...I think that's what he was going for.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Hoops posted:

Searched "Mr T wife", got:

Mr. T is the father of three children - Lesa, Erika, and T Junior. However, he is currently single.

So, divorced maybe?
Yep. He was married to Phyllis Clark, with whom he had Lesa.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I currently have 5100 unread messages in my yahoo email inbox, any way to clear this quickly?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
http://www.blogdefined.com/5289/how-delete-all-emails-from-yahoo-inbox-remove-spam-emails-from-spam-folder/

most recent one I could find from a cursory google search.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

change my name posted:

I currently have 5100 unread messages in my yahoo email inbox, any way to clear this quickly?
Set up a gmail account, link it to your yahoo email, suck in emails, spam goes to spam folder, interesting emails stay in the inbox. Bonus: you're no longer using a lovely email service.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
Can someone please explain how Liquipel works to protect cell phones? It's a $60 coating for smartphones that supposedly protects them from water damage while still allowing all plugs to work. In their videos, they're fully submersing phones.

That just boggles my mind and the website sends up all my Voodoo Science hackles, but they seem to have industry support. How does this poo poo work?

I'm not asking how the coating is placed, because their "revolutionary" ionic bonding process has been around for decades and is something a four year old could do.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I don't have a clue but Tested talked about them spraying it on tissue paper to make it waterproof. Pretty sure it's actually magic yeah.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Noni posted:

Can someone please explain how Liquipel works to protect cell phones? It's a $60 coating for smartphones that supposedly protects them from water damage while still allowing all plugs to work. In their videos, they're fully submersing phones.

That just boggles my mind and the website sends up all my Voodoo Science hackles, but they seem to have industry support. How does this poo poo work?

I'm not asking how the coating is placed, because their "revolutionary" ionic bonding process has been around for decades and is something a four year old could do.

Apparently you have to send your device to them for a few days to do it,and it isn't actually qualified for leaving it in water in extended periods. So, you know, not really worth it

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Noni posted:

A non-conductive ultra-thin heat/water resistant coating? I've seen a few articles about it. Of course they are going to make it sound like magic, the value is in the cost to apply it. They've had the "black box" on airplanes for a long time.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Speaking of electronics frying, will too high an amperage be any kind of problem plugging my netbook into the wall? I've got a power supply rated for 110V-240V (IIRC, I might be a little low at the high end), and I've got the right adapter for the plug, but the amperage is way higher and I'm a little paranoid to plug my nice shiny computer in before I know if it'll just die on me.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

TetsuoTW posted:

Speaking of electronics frying, will too high an amperage be any kind of problem plugging my netbook into the wall? I've got a power supply rated for 110V-240V (IIRC, I might be a little low at the high end), and I've got the right adapter for the plug, but the amperage is way higher and I'm a little paranoid to plug my nice shiny computer in before I know if it'll just die on me.
It's only an issue if the voltage going into the netbook is higher than it can handle (say, 20 volts going into a netbook rated for 12 volts). Check the power supply to see how much DC voltage it's putting out.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Well I've just flown from Taiwan (110V) to New Zealand (240V), and the AC adapter for the netbook says it's good for input 100-240V, 50-60Hz, 1.0A; that should be fine for whatever voltage as long as it fits into the wall then?

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

TetsuoTW posted:

Well I've just flown from Taiwan (110V) to New Zealand (240V), and the AC adapter for the netbook says it's good for input 100-240V, 50-60Hz, 1.0A; that should be fine for whatever voltage as long as it fits into the wall then?
Yep. Moreso if you've used the adapter before without a problem.

(100-240V is from the wall to the adapter. In the adapter the voltage steps down to 9 - 20 volts so the netbook or laptop can work with it without getting fried. The question then is, what voltage does the netbook's battery handle, and does the adapter deliver that voltage?)

WillieWestwood fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jan 24, 2012

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.
I'm really hoping to improve my memory significantly- I've became so bad at recalling information most of my last year's study is just gone, I remember maybe three people's birthdays... anyway, I want to improve it.

Are there any good books out there, or perhaps iPhone apps (don't bother suggesting Lumosity's brain trainer) I could use? Any other methods I haven't mentioned?

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
My roommate is absolutely convinced that running pots and pans through the dishwasher is somehow damaging to the dishwasher, and that it uses extra energy. I've tried to explain to him that our crappy 70s dishwasher is not "smart" and only has one energy/water usage setting, but he won't hear it. Is there any truth to his claim?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Synonymous posted:

I'm really hoping to improve my memory significantly- I've became so bad at recalling information most of my last year's study is just gone, I remember maybe three people's birthdays... anyway, I want to improve it.

Are there any good books out there, or perhaps iPhone apps (don't bother suggesting Lumosity's brain trainer) I could use? Any other methods I haven't mentioned?

Anki is flashcard software good for remembering lots of details if that's what you're after. What kind of information do you have trouble recalling? Any changes in the last year?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Red Crown posted:

My roommate is absolutely convinced that running pots and pans through the dishwasher is somehow damaging to the dishwasher, and that it uses extra energy. I've tried to explain to him that our crappy 70s dishwasher is not "smart" and only has one energy/water usage setting, but he won't hear it. Is there any truth to his claim?

No, the detergents will probably wear non-stick surfaces faster and the pans may block the water flow to other dishes depending on the location.

I mostly don't do it because I don't want one dish taking up 1/2 the room for dozens of smaller items. :)

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

Anyone have recommendations for reliable headphones that I could wear while running?
I have been using cheap buds for awhile that always crap out and fizzle. :(
I also hear about how buds are bad for you, plus they fall out all the time D:

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Speaking of buds, what's the most convenient way to keep them from getting tangled in your pocket/backpack?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RebBrownies posted:

Anyone have recommendations for reliable headphones that I could wear while running?
I have been using cheap buds for awhile that always crap out and fizzle. :(
I also hear about how buds are bad for you, plus they fall out all the time D:

I use these http://www.runphones.com/

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I just got a phone call from "Unavailable" for the number, I picked up and instantly only heard a recorded female voice saying "Please tell me your name." I said "Hello?" and it hung up.

What the hell just happened? :confused:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Golbez posted:

I just got a phone call from "Unavailable" for the number, I picked up and instantly only heard a recorded female voice saying "Please tell me your name." I said "Hello?" and it hung up.

What the hell just happened? :confused:

Worst ARG ever

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

El_Elegante posted:

Speaking of buds, what's the most convenient way to keep them from getting tangled in your pocket/backpack?

I've been using these for a few years....

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/cute-little-guys-smart-wrap-for-cables-5-pack-4313

give about 1/2" or so before the plug, earbuds so it isn't tight. I've used headphones for years with these guys. Mostly used for storing earbuds in my car before I go to the gym.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Synonymous posted:

Anything that stimulates your mind will help your memory, so... I don't know of any books off hand, but you can work on word or number puzzles to kick-start your brain.