Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
The physics in the Pinball HoF: Williams Collection for the 360 is probably the best I've seen in a game, so I wouldn't worry too much (Unless FarSight managed to loose the source or something)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So I tried Pinball HD Collection for the iPad. The tables look nice but goddamn are they awful to play. Floaty, glitchy ball physics, bad sound (the movie clips on the Platoon table are grating) and the tables manage to somehow be basic and uninteresting yet at the same time confusing to figure out the rules. The Zen Pinball tales are so much better than this crap it's not even funny.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Zen Pinball 3D is available in the US Nintendo 3DS eShop for $7. It comes with the Earth Defense Force, Shaman, Excalibur, and Eldorado tables with more DLC down the road (I have no idea what the tables will cost or if they will be mostly bundles like PFX2).

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

I really hope this Pinball Arcade thing can get the licenses from most if not all of the Pat Lawlor and Steve Richie tables. Imagine your favorite stand up pinball machine, it's more than likely a creation from one of those two pingods.

Pat had the machines with themes and play depth and gimmicks like Addams Family, Twilight Zone, Earthshaker, Banzai Run and Funhouse. Pat was most responsible for most of the best known ambitious tables. I've yet to this day gotten to the elusive Wizard Mode on an Addams Family table. I came close only once, but got anxious and nervous and hosed it up. :ohdear:

Steve was no slouch either, his tables have always centralized on ramps and loops and combos which equated to ball SPEED. He brought us the gems like High Speed, The Getaway, F-14 Tomcat, Black Knight I and 2000, No Fear and Fish Tales to name but a few.

Pin packs featuring nothing but either of these two and it's almost a license to print money, they are both that good and any fan of pinball would fall over backwards to play them.

PSN: NoxiousAir for my PS3 pinpals. I have all of the Marvel tables and most if not all of the Zen Pinball collection.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Zen released Excalibur for iOS last week. I know it's one of their older tables but it's still pretty solid.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Howard Beale posted:

City living means no pinball for me until I get a house or a first floor apartment. I can handle the transport just fine, but there's no way to get a table up the three flights of narrow, curving stairs to where I live now. You could get the backglass up just fine, but there's just so little turning room on the stairs that I wouldn't want to risk smacking a table into the walls or the insanely low stairwell ceiling. Even the furniture people almost vowed never to come back again when they brought a new couch up.
I used to own a Road Show. I only lived on the second floor, but getting an almost 300 pound widebody game up a curving staircase was an interesting challenge, especially for a trio of wiry nerds. When I later sold the game I told the buyer to bring some armstrong friends.

Been tempted to find a High Speed II Getaway now, but I'm not sure how much it would disturb my neighbours.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is there a way to get a good view of the table in FX2? I can't understand the orbits.

Also how in gods name do I hit the palace in Pasha?

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 24, 2012

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

It's down to you and me, you one-eyed freak.

Baron Porkface posted:

Is there a way to get a good view of the table in FX2? I can't understand the orbits.

Also how in gods name do I hit the palace in Pasha?

The angles in FX2 generally kind of suck in the Marvel tables.

For Pasha, the Palace is blocked by the upper right flipper, so you gotta actually hold the right flipper, and use the upper left flipper to shoot it BEHIND/UNDER the upper right flipper.

Disease
Oct 6, 2011

Robnoxious posted:

I've yet to this day gotten to the elusive Wizard Mode on an Addams Family table. I came close only once, but got anxious and nervous and hosed it up. :ohdear:

I loved the hell out of those Lawlor tables, but wasn't the wizard mode in Addams Family ("Tour the Mansion") just activated by starting and completing all the modes? I seem to remember just hitting the chair with the yellow light, and then holding onto the ball until the mode ended, shoot the ramp that relights the chair and do that over and over until I got the wizard mode.

Twilight Zone is probably my second favorite table of all time after Mars Attacks, but even that had a very easy wizard mode to activate.

Rule the Universe and Battle for the Kingdom on the other hand ... if you got those modes you were pretty drat good at pinball in my book. I still remember getting excited and anxious as a youngster after lighting that big blue light on Mars Attacks for the first time - nervously batting the ball around for what seemed like an eternity before making what was really a pretty easy shot. After playing WAY to much of that game I was eventually able to "Rule the Universe" three times in one game.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I feel kind of ashamed that growing up I had no idea about missions and modes and objectives and all that stuff in pinball tables. I knew there was stuff to do in games like Epic Pinball but the real machines I just kind of banged around on. It wasn't until I played Pinball Hall of Fame on the PS3 that I realized how intricate and how much loving work went into those old tables and now I can't get enough of it.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Disease posted:

I loved the hell out of those Lawlor tables, but wasn't the wizard mode in Addams Family ("Tour the Mansion") just activated by starting and completing all the modes?
Yes.

quote:

I seem to remember just hitting the chair with the yellow light, and then holding onto the ball until the mode ended, shoot the ramp that relights the chair and do that over and over until I got the wizard mode.

I didn't even think of playing the table like that at the time. I didn't know the Wizard Mode existed back then. Besides, it really takes the bite out of playing the table if I just played capture and shoot. I will say this, I ALWAYS avoided a Thing Flips because of wonky shots Thing would take to create a SDTM. I was really good at racking up Bear Kicks off a back right flip but hitting the chair was always an elusive shot for me. I had better success getting Mansion spots off of the far right scoop. So, my problem was I had to get some ball action going to get the lines I could hit.

quote:

Twilight Zone is probably my second favorite table of all time after Mars Attacks, but even that had a very easy wizard mode to activate.
TZ was a very easy Wizard Mode to hit and I did employ much more ball trappings on that table to advance Spiral bonuses and hitting Dead Ends with impunity (much like people did racking up Chairs on Addams Family).

quote:

Rule the Universe and Battle for the Kingdom on the other hand ... if you got those modes you were pretty drat good at pinball in my book. I still remember getting excited and anxious as a youngster after lighting that big blue light on Mars Attacks for the first time - nervously batting the ball around for what seemed like an eternity before making what was really a pretty easy shot. After playing WAY to much of that game I was eventually able to "Rule the Universe" three times in one game.
Steve Richie tables have been the bane of my pinball playing existence ever since I coined a Black Knight. Attack from Mars is a very difficult table for me along with Terminator 2. I could get action going on High Speed and F-14 Tomcat but tables like No Fear and T2 gave me fits.

It really showed the difference between the two designers. While I was poo poo at loop based tables, I was great at ramp and scoops.

No one is really good at Funhouse though. That table is sadistic.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Disease posted:

I loved the hell out of those Lawlor tables, but wasn't the wizard mode in Addams Family ("Tour the Mansion") just activated by starting and completing all the modes? I seem to remember just hitting the chair with the yellow light, and then holding onto the ball until the mode ended, shoot the ramp that relights the chair and do that over and over until I got the wizard mode.
:eng101: You can relight the chair and start the next mode before the current one ends, no need to wait.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
Video for the forthcoming "Epic Quest" table for FX2/Zen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwoYxbxhSYI

It apparently features loot & XP that persists between games, which is pretty neat.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

ixnay posted:

Video for the forthcoming "Epic Quest" table for FX2/Zen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwoYxbxhSYI

It apparently features loot & XP that persists between games, which is pretty neat.

Interesting. I think the only other time anything like that has been done was with Pinball Quest way back in the NES days.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I just saw that pop up on my iPad last night in the Coming Soon! section and I can't loving wait.

Also I'm noticing the ball control in the Excalibur table sometimes gets a little wonky. I have a feeling that since its an old table they weren't quite as good at layouts and they are now and had to cheat a bit on certain ramps. It doesn't feel broken just really weird when it happens.

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010

Robnoxious posted:

Steve Richie tables have been the bane of my pinball playing existence ever since I coined a Black Knight. Attack from Mars is a very difficult table for me along with Terminator 2. I could get action going on High Speed and F-14 Tomcat but tables like No Fear and T2 gave me fits.

Attack From Mars is a Brian Eddy pin, not a Steve Ritchie

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

DarthXaos posted:

Attack From Mars is a Brian Eddy pin, not a Steve Ritchie
No kidding? Well I'll be damned, you gotta admit it has many Ritchie-esque signature features so I just assumed he had a hand in it.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

ponzicar posted:

Interesting. I think the only other time anything like that has been done was with Pinball Quest way back in the NES days.

Though I'm a bit apprehensive on how well xp/loot is going to mesh with high scores since that is what keeps on bringing me back.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Obeast posted:

Zen Pinball 3D is available in the US Nintendo 3DS eShop for $7. It comes with the Earth Defense Force, Shaman, Excalibur, and Eldorado tables with more DLC down the road (I have no idea what the tables will cost or if they will be mostly bundles like PFX2).

Played this a bit yesterday and thought it was pretty awesome. Maybe i'm crazy, but comparing Excalibur on the 3DS to Excalibur on 360...the 3DS feels more realistic to me. All of the tables on FX2 feel like, i don't know the correct terminology, the bumpers/posts/metal things prior to traveling up ramps have too wide of a hit box on every table.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
This is a company that won't put in a vertical-rotation option into the game because it would be too complicated. I highly doubt they did much of anything to the tables to get them on the 3DS.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Looking forward to Epic Quest, though I'm not terribly looking forward to more voice acting.

Also, I only have one friend that plays Marvel Pinball/Zen Pinball. Can y'all friend me on PSN: bvigeant?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I have to admit that ever since Pinball Arcade got announced I have completely lost interest in Pinball FX/Zen etc...

I can't wait for Pinball Arcade.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

FishBulb posted:

I have to admit that ever since Pinball Arcade got announced I have completely lost interest in Pinball FX/Zen etc...

I can't wait for Pinball Arcade.

I've been playing the iOS beta of it.. It's very nice. :)

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

techknight posted:

I've been playing the iOS beta of it.. It's very nice. :)

Man, I wish I was in on that. Who do I have to bribe?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Chinook posted:

Man, I wish I was in on that. Who do I have to bribe?

They sent out a notice on Twitter a few weeks ago. I don't think that retail is far off though, apparently the latest build from the other day is the "final" one.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

techknight posted:

They sent out a notice on Twitter a few weeks ago. I don't think that retail is far off though, apparently the latest build from the other day is the "final" one.

If I recall correctly, they may be intentionally delaying the iOS release a little while to get in on Apple's Game of the Week promotion.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

They've confirmed some dates on Twitter today:

@PinballArcade iPad and iPhone launch is on track for this Thursday, February 9th!

@PinballArcade The 360 and PS3 launches are still on track for late March.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Oh poo poo! I'll have something awesome to play on my plane ride home!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

techknight posted:

They've confirmed some dates on Twitter today:

@PinballArcade iPad and iPhone launch is on track for this Thursday, February 9th!

@PinballArcade The 360 and PS3 launches are still on track for late March.

Nothing for the Android? Booooooo.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I can't imagine playing a pinball game on an iPhone or Android phone. I mean, I've tried but it was horrible.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Nothing for the Android? Booooooo.

I think the beta is just taking longer with all the different device types to work with.

ZebTM
Jul 7, 2009

Apparently there's going to be a pinball expo on march 9 and 10 about a 2 hour drive from where I live. http://ohiopinballshow.com/

Looks like fun. Any pingoons have experience with this sort of thing?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

ZebTM posted:

Apparently there's going to be a pinball expo on march 9 and 10 about a 2 hour drive from where I live. http://ohiopinballshow.com/

Looks like fun. Any pingoons have experience with this sort of thing?

I've been to that very expo the last two years and it is great fun. At least 100 machines, maybe 10% of which aren't in perfect working order, but they get repaired on the fly. (The place is like 5 minutes from my house.)

I would say that it's worth it if you really just want to play hours and hours of real pinball. All the machines are on free play, and there are plenty for sale. I had a list of about 10 tables I really wanted to play, and about 8 of them were there. There were even a few actual video game cabinets, too. There were daily tournaments, as well, but I was too terrible to really get involved (it costs extra to participate, but there are cash prizes, so if you're good, give it a shot!)

There are lots of vendors and parts sales around the outside of the center. I would recommend it, for sure.

ZebTM
Jul 7, 2009

Chinook posted:

I've been to that very expo the last two years and it is great fun. At least 100 machines, maybe 10% of which aren't in perfect working order, but they get repaired on the fly. (The place is like 5 minutes from my house.)

I would say that it's worth it if you really just want to play hours and hours of real pinball. All the machines are on free play, and there are plenty for sale. I had a list of about 10 tables I really wanted to play, and about 8 of them were there. There were even a few actual video game cabinets, too. There were daily tournaments, as well, but I was too terrible to really get involved (it costs extra to participate, but there are cash prizes, so if you're good, give it a shot!)

There are lots of vendors and parts sales around the outside of the center. I would recommend it, for sure.

I love pinball but I'm godawful at both virtual and real, so this seems like a cool chance to play real pinball and maybe watch some better players to improve my game.

Are you planning on going again this year? Might be fun to meet up at some point.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I will own a pinball table by 2013, mark my words.

I can't wait for Epic Quest next week though, that's going to be one awesome table.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

Pinball Arcade is up on the iTunes App Store! http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pinball-arcade/id455826958?mt=8

I was restricted to the iPhone 4S during the beta - it's so much better on my iPad 1. There were some server overload issues a few hours ago, but it seems to be working fine now.

One tip: When you go to shoot the ball, you don't have to move your hand and grab the plunger, you can hold and drag anywhere on the screen to pull back.

As for pricing, the app costs 99 cents and comes with Tales of the Arabian Nights. You can then download trial versions of the other tables (Black Hole, Ripley's Believe It or Not, Theatre of Magic), or buy all three at once for $8.99 (that was the price in the Canadian store, at least).

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Feb 9, 2012

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
I said "I won't double dip on this, so I'll wait until March for the PS3 version," and then I went and downloaded it this morning immediately. I'm the worst.

EDIT: And then ponied up $9 for all tables.

Clouseau fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 9, 2012

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Pinball Arcade seems pretty drat decent so far. I really wish they didn't use Facebook for leaderboards though because I'm sure as hell not going to be comparing scores with anyone I know IRL. Also it's weird that they included the table flyers but scanned them at such a low resolution that they're completely unreadable.

This is definitely a good companion to Zen to have on my iPad though. Very nice.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

When I'm not browsing the web, my Ipad has now pretty much turned into a $700 electronic pinball simulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Same here. Zen and this new one are the only games I give a drat about on my iPad and I'm hopelessly addicted.