Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!
Hey, guys, I'm wondering something, I'm thinking of Drafting Dark Ascencion whenever it comes out in MTGO, but I've been hearing conflicting stories that the Draft over there is not just Dark Ascencion, but Dark Ascencion and Innistrad, while I've also heard the draft there is only Dark Ascencion.

I've tried searching in this Thread and in other sites, but I can't find any information, so which is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

It's going to be DKA-ISD-ISD. A 3 small set draft would just be insane. When Avacyn Restored comes out, the drafts will just be AVR-AVR-AVR.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Captain Capitalism posted:

It's going to be DKA-ISD-ISD. A 3 small set draft would just be insane. When Avacyn Restored comes out, the drafts will just be AVR-AVR-AVR.

It's not unheard of for them to do 3x small set drafts as prerelease and release events. I definitely remember they did it for NPH.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

It's going to be DKA-ISD-ISD.

Ugh, why wouldn't it be DKA-DKA-ISD? I've got plenty of ISD cards.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Mastiff posted:

Ugh, why wouldn't it be DKA-DKA-ISD? I've got plenty of ISD cards.

because balancing a small set where you're more likely to see more duplicates is awkward at best and not possible in the worst?

This is part of why I like the ROE/AVR "third set is a triple set" thing.

I'm sure you'll be able to find plenty of DDD/DDI drafts IRL.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Have you guys looked at all the spoilers? http://www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/article.aspx?x=mtg/tcg/darkascension/cig

DKA does not look like a very good draft set (compared to ISD at least), so i'd hate to draft all DKA or even 2/3 DKA.

That said, there are SOME really good limited cards. But if you take a look at ISD and DKA together, you have an absolutely amazing set of cards to draft with. Limited is looking very fun right now.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Yeah, looking over that list, I saw so many cards that combo well with existing ISD cards, but over the set is kind of expensive. A lot of guys just take a while to come out, and you'll definitely be hurting for ISD's lower costed creatures. I'm a little scared to go up against a guy that got a couple Spirit Lords, though.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I'm planning on playing in the prerelease this weekend. Any decent guides on how sealed construction differs from draft in terms of deckbuilding?

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
I'm surprised that there's no G/W human lord in that cycle. Although I suppose that's not the "monsters" are winning flavor they're going for.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Lurchington posted:

I'm surprised that there's no G/W human lord in that cycle. Although I suppose that's not the "monsters" are winning flavor they're going for.

Thats the exact reason there isn't one.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
There will probably be one in the next set, because that's when the humans are suppose to start winning. I wonder if we will see a new planeswalker as well. Maybe Avacyn herself as a w/g planeswalker.

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER
I don't think Avacyn would be a planeswalker. Probably a legendary creature that has some kind of anti non-human tribal effect, or acts as some kind of human protection.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Are any of the core planeswalkers due for another revision and/or have some connection to Liliana, Sorin, or Garruk? I imagine that there will be at least 1-2 in the third set since it's also large. Maybe Duck Faygo plus one other?

Count
Apr 28, 2004

How do you guys rate the colors in DKA?

To me, green and black seem very weak. Blue & white seem ridiculous. Like both colors have flying Flametongue Kavu's (and they're both Spirit too). Red is a bit shallow but a good second color.

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!

That's lame, I was hoping a DKA-DKA-DKA draft, not really interesting in replaying Innistrad again.

himurak
Jun 13, 2003

Where was that save the world button again?

Count posted:

To me, green and black seem very weak. Blue & white seem ridiculous. Like both colors have flying Flametongue Kavu's (and they're both Spirit too). Red is a bit shallow but a good second color.

The only color I feel can't be run as a "main color" is red now. Everything else has focusable ability from my analysis.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Tribal lords are boring and make for boring predictable decks. So much of the fun of Innistrad was that there were about a billion deck types and lots of them were viable. And the less viable ones were built on cards that you could easily get because nobody else wanted them.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

ShowTime posted:

There will probably be one in the next set, because that's when the humans are suppose to start winning. I wonder if we will see a new planeswalker as well. Maybe Avacyn herself as a w/g planeswalker.
I was originally thinking she would be a W/B, possibly double-sided, planeswalker, but after it was revealed that Sorin created her, I think it's unlikely now. Of course, weirder things have happened in Magic lore than presto-chango sudden planeswalker ascension.

whydirt posted:

Are any of the core planeswalkers due for another revision and/or have some connection to Liliana, Sorin, or Garruk? I imagine that there will be at least 1-2 in the third set since it's also large. Maybe Duck Faygo plus one other?
I'm betting on at least 2, maybe 3 (although I guess ROE only had one). Out of the core walkers we have:
Chandra - already has 3 versions, very unlikely we'll see her
Garruk - obviously got remakes in M12 and Innistrad, so there's no way
Sorin - no
Liliana - see above
Gideon - he's the interesting one. He hasn't received a remake yet, despite getting moved to "core" status, and I could maybe see Sorin calling him in to help out the humans (though I don't think they even know each other?). On the other hand, according to the wiki, he hosed off to Ravnica during ROE events.

None of the non-core walkers (Karn, Nissa, Koth, etc) make a lot of sense either. I think we're going to see 2+ new ones one of whom is Dork Fabben. Maybe we'll see Ral Zarek!

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Count posted:

I think they are all quite strong. White is just ridiculous now. Red got stronger. Green got some bombs but it's still too slow for the format. Blue got some more great utility but it still doesn't seem strong enough to main. But splashing it and you have some serious power. I mean, it got a SECOND grasp of phantoms.

Black has some serious power if you can get it rolling and another great removal in tragic slip.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Zero_Grade posted:

I was originally thinking she would be a W/B, possibly double-sided, planeswalker, but after it was revealed that Sorin created her, I think it's unlikely now. Of course, weirder things have happened in Magic lore than presto-chango sudden planeswalker ascension.

I'm betting on at least 2, maybe 3 (although I guess ROE only had one). Out of the core walkers we have:
Chandra - already has 3 versions, very unlikely we'll see her
Garruk - obviously got remakes in M12 and Innistrad, so there's no way
Sorin - no
Liliana - see above
Gideon - he's the interesting one. He hasn't received a remake yet, despite getting moved to "core" status, and I could maybe see Sorin calling him in to help out the humans (though I don't think they even know each other?). On the other hand, according to the wiki, he hosed off to Ravnica during ROE events.

None of the non-core walkers (Karn, Nissa, Koth, etc) make a lot of sense either. I think we're going to see 2+ new ones one of whom is Dork Fabben. Maybe we'll see Ral Zarek!

This is going to sound crazy, but I think we are going to see Garruk AGAIN. He got cursed by Liliana and I think he is going to have an uncursed version. It's ridicilous, but it makes more sense then all the other options. Especially with the theme of the set being rebirth.

Have any planeswalkers died? If so, might see them come back as the second.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Could they just reprint an older version of Garruk if they want to bring him back again?

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
I heard there are lands in Drafts.
Why would anyone get a Land? Don't you just get to add whatever lands you want?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

whydirt posted:

Could they just reprint an older version of Garruk if they want to bring him back again?

That's probably what we'll get. They really need to do another green planeswalker who isn't Garruk or Nissa.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

SGRaaize posted:

You do get to add whatever basic lands you want, and you're right, no one wants to pick them in a draft. They usually go 14th or 15th pick.

The reason there's one in every booster is because there aren't Land Packs anymore, and all the lands people use have to come from somewhere.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

SGRaaize posted:

Basic lands, yes. If you get a rare land or something, you can add it to your draft deck. Most places have you toss the basic lands into a pile in the middle.

whydirt posted:

Nothing stopping them, although if they reprint Wildspeaker it means we've got a third Garruk in Standard anyway.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Time for a mono garruk modern deck.

And lands and token/checksheets get tossed in to the middle of the table whenever the pack is opened during drafting.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
My store must do it strangely. We just pull out the token. Everyone ends up with a checklist as their last pick.

Yes, it's very strange but there is no sense in arguing with the system.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It doesn't really matter so long as there's an equal number of cards in every pack.

But there's really no reason to keep the lands/checklists in the packs.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I'll take the basic land sometimes as early as 13th or even 12th pick if its on color over your last pick curse of oblivions, ghostly possesions, grave brambles, gruesome deformity etc because I like to mix up the types of lands I get.

My favorite thing to do in Momir is to be on the draw and then see how long I can match my opponent playing the same lands and trying to discard the same ones as them. Bonus points if its the same art.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Yeah we toss basics too on our pub and LGS drafts. Which of course leads to occasional trouble when some new player cracks a pack with foil basic and tosses that, when he got lazy instructions.

Three commons/uncommons I find interesting in DKA spoiler:

I absolutely love tapper/untappers since first playing with Fatestitcher in Alara drafts. Evasive body with enough power too, even when it is fragile.

I would guess I'll happily play one in most black decks, but not more than that. Draw cards makes it at absolute worst an expensive cycle, and you can EOT it.

Found my janky achievement goal for the format: Into the Maw of Hell someone with this.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Lunael posted:

Found my janky achievement goal for the format: Into the Maw of Hell someone with this.

Why not go for broke and Blasphemous Act someone with two of them out?

ProfessionalNinja
Sep 26, 2004
I am the Professional Ninja
Flash would make that so much more fun of a card.

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER

ProfessionalNinja posted:

Imagine flashing it in after it blocks a trampler.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

mr. pastry posted:

Imagine flashing it in after it blocks a trampler.

This would be no different than flashing it in after it blocks any other creature.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
Quick question on Hollowhenge Spirit's ability. An attacker that was blocked by a creature that ends up getting removed from combat by Hollowhenge Spirit coming into play does not end up doing any damage to a player, correct? Just want to make sure.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Boy of Joy posted:

Quick question on Hollowhenge Spirit's ability. An attacker that was blocked by a creature that ends up getting removed from combat by Hollowhenge Spirit coming into play does not end up doing any damage to a player, correct? Just want to make sure.

It's still blocked. Unless the attacker has trample in which case the damage is done to the player (technically it is still blocked, but there's no creature there for it to need to kill so all damage is assigned to the player).

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

subx posted:

It's still blocked. Unless the attacker has trample in which case the damage is done to the player (technically it is still blocked, but there's no creature there for it to need to kill so all damage is assigned to the player).

Really? I think that the attacking creature is still blocked but no damage is assigned. See: 509.2a. During the declare blockers step, if a blocking creature is removed from combat or a spell or ability causes it to stop blocking an attacking creature, the blocking creature is removed from all relevant damage assignment orders. The relative order among the remaining blocking creatures is unchanged.

Edit: See also: 509.1h. An attacking creature with one or more creatures declared as blockers for it becomes a blocked creature; one with no creatures declared as blockers for it becomes an unblocked creature. This remains unchanged until the creature is removed from combat, an effect says that it becomes blocked or unblocked, or the combat phase ends, whichever comes first. A creature remains blocked even if all the creatures blocking it are removed from combat.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 24, 2012

subx
Jan 12, 2003

ShowTime posted:

Really? I think that the attacking creature is still blocked but no damage is assigned. See: 509.2a. During the declare blockers step, if a blocking creature is removed from combat or a spell or ability causes it to stop blocking an attacking creature, the blocking creature is removed from all relevant damage assignment orders. The relative order among the remaining blocking creatures is unchanged.

Edit: See also: 509.1h. An attacking creature with one or more creatures declared as blockers for it becomes a blocked creature; one with no creatures declared as blockers for it becomes an unblocked creature. This remains unchanged until the creature is removed from combat, an effect says that it becomes blocked or unblocked, or the combat phase ends, whichever comes first. A creature remains blocked even if all the creatures blocking it are removed from combat.

702.18c If an attacking creature with trample is blocked, but there are no creatures blocking it when damage is assigned, all its damage is assigned to the player or planeswalker it's attacking.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
1032.58a Well, alright then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

ProfessionalNinja posted:

They made that card in Champions of Kamigawa and called it Ragged Veins. It turned out to be a very good card in Shivan Meteor.dec

I wonder if there's any potential in Shivan Meteor, Blasphemous Act, Ragged Veins, and Stuffy Doll.