Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Austin refused to work with Hall because he was extremely concerned about Hall not being able to properly protect his neck.

Also HHH and Rock never worked together after the Armageddon 6-man, but I think that was largely due to circumstance and not Rock refusing to work with him anymore. Look at the timelines of what they were doing from 2001-04. They were either busy feuding with other people, filming a movie, injured, or on a different brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I never really remember Austin losing cleanly a whole bunch once he won the WWF Championship though, either the belt or in general. Of all the title reigns, I think his loss to Kurt Angle was the only one that didn't have some sort of controversy behind it.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

The Austin stuff is very interesting. I don't blame the guy one bit that he was smarter than shithead bookers.

Wasn't the original idea at WM 18 to be Austin vs. Hogan in the Icon vs. Icon, but both guys basically refused to job to the other? I loved the poo poo out of Rock/Hogan, but had it been Austin/Hogan instead (knowing they hate each other), I'm sure the crowd would've still turned on Austin (although it wasn't so much they turned on Rock, they just LOVED Hogan). That would have really pissed him off, methinks.

You have to hand it to HHH. HBK was a total shithead back in the day, but he at least acknowledges he was and has changed. Hunter has always been a huge rear end in a top hat, and seems to always take pride in the fact. He really is the son that Vince never had.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Wasn't the original idea at WM 18 to be Austin vs. Hogan in the Icon vs. Icon, but both guys basically refused to job to the other? I loved the poo poo out of Rock/Hogan, but had it been Austin/Hogan instead (knowing they hate each other), I'm sure the crowd would've still turned on Austin (although it wasn't so much they turned on Rock, they just LOVED Hogan). That would have really pissed him off, methinks.

Pretty sure if Hogan did want to work with Austin it would be similar to his pitch to put Brock over where Hogan would beat Brock twice and somehow that would make Brock look good.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

So why did Hogan/Austin never happen because of refusal to job but Hogan jobbed clean to Rock at WM and jobbed again at NWO 03?

"Hey your gonna job to Austin at WM"
"Sorry brother no can do"
"OK then your gonna job to Rock at WM"
"Good to go jack"

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hogan/Austin never happened because Austin rightly despises Hogan for pushing him and other young talent off of the card (and out of the company) in WCW in favor of his decrepit, washed-up friends.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

oldpainless posted:

So why did Hogan/Austin never happen because of refusal to job but Hogan jobbed clean to Rock at WM and jobbed again at NWO 03?

"Good to go jack"

Didn't Hogan get the title shortly after this happened from HHH?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

oldpainless posted:

"Good to go jack"

Yeah I don't think it even got to the point of discussing a finish. The way I understood it, Hogan needed a match with Austin way more than Austin needed a match with Hogan, and Austin didn't want to help Hogan out in the slightest.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Nut Bunnies posted:

Hogan/Austin never happened because Austin rightly despises Hogan for pushing him and other young talent off of the card (and out of the company) in WCW in favor of his decrepit, washed-up friends.

Its not like he had Hacksaw Jim Duggan beat him in 35 seconds for the TV title

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I'm sure the crowd would've still turned on Austin (although it wasn't so much they turned on Rock, they just LOVED Hogan). That would have really pissed him off, methinks.

That's an interesting discussion point - I actually don't think the crowd would have turned on Austin. I feel like during the Attitude era, Austin would always get cheered over absolutely everybody when he was a face. Then again, it was Toronto, where the crowd honestly does react to things differently.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The Hogan cheers were from 20 somethings who were nostalgic for Hogan. I don't think it would have been too different with Austin in there even if Rock's support wasn't exactly ironclad for the year prior.

I think it was a good demonstration of the potential they blew. Hogan was overexposed, horrible, a piece of poo poo, you name it since for 7 years at that point. And the crowd didn't care because he was still Hulk Hogan and he was facing The Rock. But ohhhh we can't push the WCW guys, they have no credibility and the boys in the back will get upset that everyone is making more money the salary structure is getting messed up!!!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I can't speak for everyone at that Mania in Toronto, but I was so sick at that point that I thought it was funny to cheer for Hogan instead. I was so tired of Rock's shtick by then.

Going into the event I figured it would be the same as everywhere else, the crowd going nuts for Rock. But waiting in line to get in, there were already some Rocky Sucks shouts and stuff going on. It was a fun atmosphere for sure.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Nut Bunnies posted:

The Hogan cheers were from 20 somethings who were nostalgic for Hogan. I don't think it would have been too different with Austin in there even if Rock's support wasn't exactly ironclad for the year prior.

I think it was a good demonstration of the potential they blew. Hogan was overexposed, horrible, a piece of poo poo, you name it since for 7 years at that point. And the crowd didn't care because he was still Hulk Hogan and he was facing The Rock. But ohhhh we can't push the WCW guys, they have no credibility and the boys in the back will get upset that everyone is making more money the salary structure is getting messed up!!!

I think the difference is that people found the Rock to be really entertaining so they would cheer for him, but they were actually emotionally invested in Austin (Rock was the sizzle, but Austin was the steak). I just can't see a crowd booing Austin, even if they cheered Hogan as well.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

bobkatt013 posted:

It also led to them cancelling a Vader DVD

he also swore on live television right after their push to go PG.

I miss WCW-era Vader. Looked like he was legit killing people in the ring. You just don't see that kind of mauling today.

bartok
May 10, 2006

coconono posted:

I miss WCW-era Vader. Looked like he was legit killing people in the ring. You just don't see that kind of mauling today.

Didn't Vader legit injure a bunch of people?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Moose Bigelow posted:

Didn't Hogan get the title shortly after this happened from HHH?

He beat the Undertaker on one PPV and lost to HHH on the next PPV.

bobkatt013 posted:

Its not like he had Hacksaw Jim Duggan beat him in 35 seconds for the TV title

He didn't. It was the US Title.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Hirams Bitch posted:

I think the difference is that people found the Rock to be really entertaining so they would cheer for him, but they were actually emotionally invested in Austin (Rock was the sizzle, but Austin was the steak). I just can't see a crowd booing Austin, even if they cheered Hogan as well.

That's a good point. I think most of the animosity for Rock came from him "abandoning" wrestling to shoot movies, but I think some people were tired of his act by that point.

Additionally, I wonder if there was a mentality among some fans that Rock was a mere placeholder for Austin, since Rock didn't take the big leap forward to where he was until Austin was sidelined. I didn't think that, but I could see it.

Rusty Shackelford posted:

That was the most Russoriffic summer.

HHH wins the title from Jericho after a big return and long (lovely) feud. Oh but Hogan got a big reaction at WM and has a lot of momentum, so let's give him the title. Oh poo poo, Hogan bombed because he's getting cheers for something that's basically a sideshow act, give it to Undertaker. Oh poo poo we need to put the title on Brock but can't have the Undertaker be beaten clean, have Rock pin Kurt Angle to win the title since he's going to film a movie anyway. OK now the title is on Brock but OH poo poo WE NEED TO GIVE HHH A TITLE!!!!!!!

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 23, 2012

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rusty Shackelford posted:

You've got that backwards. He beat HHH at Backlash and lost to Taker at Judgment Day.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Chunky Delight posted:

Didn't Vader legit injure a bunch of people?

We actually just talked about this, I think in the Questions thread. The only injury we could trace to Vader was a particularly brutal one, where he broke a jobber's back with a powerbomb.

With Vader, it was more a case that he was extremely stiff, and didn't tone down the style much when he came over from Japan, especially in WCW. He was much gentler in WWF, though he was still more than most would want to work against.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

We actually just talked about this, I think in the Questions thread. The only injury we could trace to Vader was a particularly brutal one, where he broke a jobber's back with a powerbomb.

With Vader, it was more a case that he was extremely stiff, and didn't tone down the style much when he came over from Japan, especially in WCW. He was much gentler in WWF, though he was still more than most would want to work against.

He also gave Foley a nasty concussion with a powerbomb on the floor, but that spot was Foley's idea. I also feel like Foley may have wanted to sit out for awhile on WCW's dime, but I may be confusing him with someone else. (Not that he was faking the concussion, just that he wanted to do a dangerous spot to be on the sidelines for awhile.)

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

He also gave Foley a nasty concussion with a powerbomb on the floor, but that spot was Foley's idea. I also feel like Foley may have wanted to sit out for awhile on WCW's dime, but I may be confusing him with someone else. (Not that he was faking the concussion, just that he wanted to do a dangerous spot to be on the sidelines for awhile.)

I might be confusing this but didn't they tell Foley they were gonna run an injury angle and have it be a huge deal only for it to turn into Lost in Cleveland?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

MassRayPer posted:

In his book, Foley says he hated the working environment so much that he proposed a spot where Vader had Mick on his back and just jumps straight up and lands on Mick, hopefully injuring Foley so he didn't have to wrestle anymore.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I thought the reason guys in WWF didn't like working against him was because he wasn't big on washing his gear?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Moose Bigelow posted:

I might be confusing this but didn't they tell Foley they were gonna run an injury angle and have it be a huge deal only for it to turn into Lost in Cleveland?

That's exactly what happened.

The concussion came after Cactus pulled up the ringside pads and then got powerbombed by Vader.

DirtyDirtySheets
Oct 22, 2011
Is there a definitive "Songs WCW ripped off list?" This entry is one I just realized:

Vampiro theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U2OXZv_v5k
"Hummer" by The Smashing Pumpkins: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct6SuFuSS58

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

DirtyDirtySheets posted:

Is there a definitive "Songs WCW ripped off list?" This entry is one I just realized:

Vampiro theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U2OXZv_v5k
"Hummer" by The Smashing Pumpkins: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct6SuFuSS58

They probably even asked for permission on that one.

WCW: Hey Billy, can we use a "version" of Hummer for Vampiro?
Billy Corgan: Oh hey, cool! Do you want to use the real version? I'll let you use it for free. I'll even perform it live...
WCW: Nope we're happy with our version THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
Billy Corgan: :smith:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Don't forget about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIubTlIIIJg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOIFwexMHN0

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

coconono posted:

The shift to PG was in 2008, three years after Vader's last appearance with the company.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Just a reminder: when watching Silver King matches on old WCW shows, do not be fooled by his stocky physique.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

oldpainless posted:

In his book, Foley says he hated the working environment so much that he proposed a spot where Vader had Mick on his back and just jumps straight up and lands on Mick, hopefully injuring Foley so he didn't have to wrestle anymore.

Then Foley says they did the spot, and he somehow managed to get up. He also repeated the same spot with The Big Show at Wrestlemania 15 I believe

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
Slightly off topic but since this thread turned into the 90's era these last few pages (which i've really enjoyed reading), anyone have recommendations for books? I've read Bischoff's and Brock's books.
There was also quote from Bret hart's autobiography posted a few pages back. It sounded interesting so gonna pick up the book.
And what are some good sites to read on past feuds/storylines, etc? I've really enjoyed the posts about Austin/JJ and Rock/HBK-Hunter.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

iLikeMidgets posted:

Slightly off topic but since this thread turned into the 90's era these last few pages (which i've really enjoyed reading), anyone have recommendations for books? I've read Bischoff's and Brock's books.
There was also quote from Bret hart's autobiography posted a few pages back. It sounded interesting so gonna pick up the book.
And what are some good sites to read on past feuds/storylines, etc? I've really enjoyed the posts about Austin/JJ and Rock/HBK-Hunter.

If you like peeing then you will like Bret's book

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Jericho first book, "Around the world in spandex" and Milk Foley's first, "Have a nice day" seem to get the most universal praise. There's a wrestling book thread somewhere but I can't run a search from my phone.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Bret's book is tremendous, though he deifies himself in it big time.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I liked Flair's book a lot, especially his story about Dusty and Harley Race drunkenly chasing him in a car while shooting at him.

I think it was Austin's book that I read the first few pages of but couldn't continue because it was so poorly written.

And Regal's book is fantastic for his story of addiction. It was interesting to see the shame he felt over that "stiff" Goldberg match that everyone used to praise on the internet.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

iLikeMidgets posted:

Is brock's book any good? What does he say in it about his WWE career?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

ColeM posted:

Is brock's book any good? What does he say in it about his WWE career?

"I took so many painkillers all the time that I dont remember a single thing about being in the WWE except making a ton of money and landing on my head because I was tired and sweaty"

He writes more about how hard he worked to get through college and then its just page after page of "I hated travelling and I dont remember any details and then I quit and also I hate Frank Mir and want to smash his face in"

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 25, 2012

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
We used to have a book recommendation / review thread, it might be worth digging that up for book suggestions. I think we pretty much covered everything out there.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

I can't believe this thread has survived as long as it has with that typo in the title, but then I remember this is the WCW thread and it's quite fitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Hirams Bitch posted:

I can't believe this thread has survived as long as it has with that typo in the title, but then I remember this is the WCW thread and it's quite fitting.

Shut up, Brett Clark.