Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Doomsayer posted:

The best ending in the game involves doing just that :allears:

Excellent.

Lassitude posted:

It's really well-done and most people find it creepy. Sucks if you don't, it's a cool experience.

Maybe I just had it built up too much from people telling me it was super creepy ahead of time. I was expecting something more like System Shock 2, or Penumbra, or the Shalebridge Cradle, instead of five minutes of flying vases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah the mansion works better if you don't see it coming. It surprised me because I was playing a typical deus ex style action rpg then bam, horror game.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

Excellent.

Maybe I just had it built up too much from people telling me it was super creepy ahead of time. I was expecting something more like System Shock 2, or Penumbra, or the Shalebridge Cradle, instead of five minutes of flying vases.

Well, the ghost can drop an elevator on you.

I felt the same way about Shalebridge Cradle, where the general consensus is that it's supposed to be one of the creepiest levels ever. Then I get there, and the biggest threat is 5 easily knocked out guys, plus an end sequence that could possibly ruin your day, if you were really dumb. It was kind of creepy, but once game mechanics kicked in, was devoid of an actual threat.

I'll agree on System Shock 2 being a much creepier game all around, mostly because of some excellent sound design, and the fact that the enemies that are supposed to be scary can actually hurt you. (gently caress those babies and their meat eating ways.)

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Okay, so I got the mod to work, been playing awhile, seems cool. That said, some of the new character models just don't sit right with me (seriously, jiggle physics?! :gonk: ), and I thought I'd delete them, like the OP said. Problem is, this messes up the graphics something nasty- any idea what to do?

Worst comes to worst, and hopefully it's not :warez: can anyone upload the following original models?:

1) LaCroix
2) Heather
3) Female Malk
4) Nines

EDIT: If anyone knows of any mods that make Ventrues look less like Blade rejects and more like 'legitimate Italian businesspeople', please post them, thanks.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jan 22, 2012

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

thrakkorzog posted:

I felt the same way about Shalebridge Cradle, where the general consensus is that it's supposed to be one of the creepiest levels ever.

Yeah, if you go into Shalebridge without any forewarning it is one of the scariest things ever made.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yeah, if you go into Shalebridge without any forewarning it is one of the scariest things ever made.

Agreeing with this.

The only part in the hotel that made me crap my pants was there's a dead end at one end of the beach house, if you go down it and turn around. you SEE the ghost standing there looking at you. Then lightning flashes and he disappears

Any part of any game loses the effect when you break it down into mechanics. If you're not immersed, you won't find it scary. Amnesia couldn't be scary to me because there wasn't enough game. I knew that if I screwed up it was jut a minor setback and then it just became annoying.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

CommissarMega posted:

Okay, so I got the mod to work, been playing awhile, seems cool. That said, some of the new character models just don't sit right with me (seriously, jiggle physics?! :gonk: ), and I thought I'd delete them, like the OP said. Problem is, this messes up the graphics something nasty- any idea what to do?

Worst comes to worst, and hopefully it's not :warez: can anyone upload the following original models?:

1) LaCroix
2) Heather
3) Female Malk
4) Nines

EDIT: If anyone knows of any mods that make Ventrues look less like Blade rejects and more like 'legitimate Italian businesspeople', please post them, thanks.

The attention-to-detail on tit physics was there long before the mods money 1.5 is the sweet spot. Twisting the Malk female around on the character creation screen is a great way to benchmark

That said, I realized the white-suited LaCroix sucked, and reinstalling CQM with that option deselected didn't work, and dragging his original models from the CD into the LaCroix folder didn't work either, since a lot of the model/animation .ini's point to the modded ones specifically. Only way I got around it was to uninstall VtmB and reinstall, along with CQM, just minus the new models. It sucks, but it's one mess of an engine

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I loved the Hotel Mission, still one of the best sequences I have played through. It still creeps me out even though I have played it a couple times. I have yet to finish the game, however, because Skyrim happened. :smith: I'll come back eventually. I promise.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

The attention-to-detail on tit physics was there long before the mods money 1.5 is the sweet spot. Twisting the Malk female around on the character creation screen is a great way to benchmark

That said, I realized the white-suited LaCroix sucked, and reinstalling CQM with that option deselected didn't work, and dragging his original models from the CD into the LaCroix folder didn't work either, since a lot of the model/animation .ini's point to the modded ones specifically. Only way I got around it was to uninstall VtmB and reinstall, along with CQM, just minus the new models. It sucks, but it's one mess of an engine

drat. Oh well, I haven't been playing it much anyway.

Also, I heard that wesp's patch lets one save Heather by asking her to stay inside, a feature that was cut out of the base game. True?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

pakman posted:

I loved the Hotel Mission, still one of the best sequences I have played through. It still creeps me out even though I have played it a couple times. I have yet to finish the game, however, because Skyrim happened. :smith: I'll come back eventually. I promise.

Better yet dedicate yourself to making a VTM: Dark Ages total conversion for Skyrim.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

CommissarMega posted:

Also, I heard that wesp's patch lets one save Heather by asking her to stay inside, a feature that was cut out of the base game. True?

Yup, but you miss out on the best armor if you do it.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Lassitude posted:

Better yet dedicate yourself to making a VTM: Dark Ages total conversion for Skyrim.

Stop it. Stop toying with my heart like that.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Fuzz posted:

I thought that was in the base game, and WESP added a way to get the best armor while doing that. Maybe I'm wrong.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Lassitude posted:

I wonder what Troika/Obsidian would be able to do if tasked with creating an Elder Scrolls game or expansion (Skyrim: New Vegas?). Sure the lore behind the world is kind of spergy and goofy, but it does offer some hooks, and these are the people who managed to write an interesting story and ambiguous characters for Star Wars.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

NihilCredo posted:

I wonder what Troika/Obsidian would be able to do if tasked with creating an Elder Scrolls game or expansion (Skyrim: New Vegas?). Sure the lore behind the world is kind of spergy and goofy, but it does offer some hooks, and these are the people who managed to write an interesting story and ambiguous characters for Star Wars.

You'd have a game that's just as buggy and crash happy as this one, if not moreso. It'd also recycle assets.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fuzz posted:

Feh, I don't mind; that -2 Dexterity in my opinion's worse than -1 armour.

One more question, regarding the Abandoned Hospital in Downtown: Does Pisha give you her quest(s) only if you send the TV guy down to her, or do you just have to uphold the Masquerade?

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010

Fuzz posted:

You'd have a game that's just as buggy and crash happy as this one, if not moreso. It'd also recycle assets.

Hyperbole much? Obsidian isn't actually notably more buggy than Bethesda or Bioware.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

For what it's worth I found New Vegas to be much less buggy than either Oblivion, Fallout 3, or Skyrim.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

I sure as hell wouldn't complain if it were announced but they are different beasts. New Vegas had the hook that Fallout 3 was the odd game out, and Obsidian were a good fit to bring back some of the design decisions from the older games.

Skyrim was such a humongous success and the series is now basically "gently caress around without consequences", I doubt that an overhaul to bring some more Obsidian/Troika classic style RPG into TES would go over very well. Even with the Fallout license, there are many people who prefer Fallout 3 because there are more things to shoot in dungeons.

EDIT: As for bugginess, Skyrim was definitely the least buggy for me if we're comparing Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas or any Troika games.

Leinadi fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 24, 2012

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

CommissarMega posted:

One more question, regarding the Abandoned Hospital in Downtown: Does Pisha give you her quest(s) only if you send the TV guy down to her, or do you just have to uphold the Masquerade?

I'm pretty sure you have to send the guy to a grisly death. I was playing a largely pacifist run with a Malk a while ago, and I recall having to give the chalice a miss.

I may be misremembering though, or perhaps one of Wesp's patches has introduced an alternate solution.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Hyperbole much? Obsidian isn't actually notably more buggy than Bethesda or Bioware.

Did you just not play KotOR2, NWN2, or Alpha Protocol? First and last were great games (particularly AP) but hoooooooly poo poo were they a mess when it came to performance.

They were equally buggy, at the least, to this game at release. Except only one of those games got a fan-patch that made it stop sucking, and even then it was still a mess.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Did you just not play KotOR2, NWN2, or Alpha Protocol? First and last were great games (particularly AP) but hoooooooly poo poo were they a mess when it came to performance.

KoTOR2 would have been a hell of a lot more stable if Lucasarts hadn't moved the release date up by six months mid-way through development. I'd like to see how you budget for time after a move like that.

As for the other two, aside from running slower than it really should have, I had no technical problems with NWN2, and Alpha Protocol ran like a dream for me, with the one bug I saw being a guard who half-clipped into the ground on death and his ragdoll freaked out. I've seen that happen in most big-budget games at some point, though, including Assassin's Creed 2 and Mass Effect 2.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010

Fuzz posted:

They were equally buggy, at the least, to this game at release. Except only one of those games got a fan-patch that made it stop sucking, and even then it was still a mess.

I played KOTOR2 and didn't encounter any notable bugs, though the rushed production schedule at endgame is apparent. I certainly don't believe there are the game-breaking bugs that persist to this day in Dragon Age: Awakenings, for one. It was comparable to KOTOR1.

Alpha Protocol was literally bug free in my experience and it didn't even necessitate a single title update on the 360 (the platform I played it on). The one bug I'm aware of is an erroneous mission debrief if you enter one level through a specific entrance.

New Vegas was less buggy than Fallout 3. I played both on 360, again.

Comparing those to Bloodlines is not even remotely reasonable.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I think the most notable bug I had with Bloodlines was when I was doing the tutorial and I had just fed on the first guy that's around the corner and Jack wanted me to go into the garage through the door. The door wouldn't open. As in, the prompt for it didn't ever come up. I spent a good 20 minutes going at the door from every angle possible. I promptly installed Wesp's patch after that. Funnily enough, I purposely didn't use any unofficial patch just to see how far I'd be able to get before the game broke itself. Welp.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Upmarket Mango posted:

I think the most notable bug I had with Bloodlines was when I was doing the tutorial and I had just fed on the first guy that's around the corner and Jack wanted me to go into the garage through the door. The door wouldn't open. As in, the prompt for it didn't ever come up. I spent a good 20 minutes going at the door from every angle possible. I promptly installed Wesp's patch after that. Funnily enough, I purposely didn't use any unofficial patch just to see how far I'd be able to get before the game broke itself. Welp.

I did the same my first time through. Beat the whole game without a hitch, the only issue being my computer became unusable right at the end and I had to reload a slightly older save.

Conversely my first attempt at KotOR2 I literally had entire cutscenes that were out of sequence and made no sense at all towards the end, with random Interrogation droid killing my own companion and Handmaiden refusing to remain fully dark and suddenly flopping back over to Light no matter how much of a horrible jerk I was that it ultimately became my #1 frustration with the game. Or Alpha Protocol where I had to start over when I was almost done with the second hub (not including Saudi) because key objectives were just unmarked on my mission listing and I couldn't redo those missions so there was literally no way to proceed with the story because it kept thinking I hadn't done about 5 missions, when I had.

But hey, anecdotal evidence works great as a basis for telling someone they're totally unreasonable and don't know poo poo!

Comparing those to Bloodlines is not even remotely reasonable.

Like this. :smugbert:

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 24, 2012

Tolwyn
Jun 13, 2001
Edit: Nevermind, problem got fixed with WESP patch!

Tolwyn fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 24, 2012

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

According to gamefaqs you can use intimidate, dominate, or dementate him to get him to keep quiet. Other than that, he's going to die somehow and you'll lose a humanity point.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Well, I completed the museum. gently caress that level, seriously. It's like Thief, except I can't do nonlethal takedowns, so I have to Lytha Ghost the entire drat level and also there are security cameras and I have no map or compass.

I ended up just saying "gently caress it" and punching a security guard through a plate glass window so that I could turn the cameras off.

On the plus side, I got to punch a security guard through a plate glass window. :black101: Playing Brujah is working out pretty well.

Fuzz posted:

I don't know, KotOR2 is quite obviously unfinished and NWN2 and Alpha Protocol are far from supremely polished bug-free experiences, but god, they aren't even in the same league as anything* Bethesda has released. Morrowind has more - and more obvious - bugs in Balmora alone than Alpha Protocol has in the entire game. Bethesda is pretty much the poster child for "huge, ambitious, buggy as gently caress games".

As for Bioware, well, on the one hand I encountered more bugs in KotOR2 and AP than I have in any Bioware game, on the other hand I have yet to have plot-critical characters erase themselves from existence and render the game uncompletable in any Obsidian game thus far, so I'm going to have to give that one to Obsidian.

Basically, I would say that Obsidian's games are buggier than average, but less so than Bethesda or Troika (and Bioware's games go wrong less frequently, but when they do holy poo poo do they ever go wrong).

Back to the original question, I would loving love to see an Elder Scrolls game done by Obsidian. Sure, it wouldn't have the same free-roaming aroundfucking potential as Bethesda's games, but I'm willing to trade that for some player agency and writing I can really sink my teeth into.

* disclaimer: I haven't played Skyrim yet

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
There's some cool writing in Alpha Protocol, but I can't get past the awful shooting gameplay and the hacking minigame that literally gives me headaches when I try to do it.

When did everybody decide that hacking and lockpicking had to involve obnoxious minigames, anyway? One of the things I like about Bloodlines is that I don't have to be good at picking locks or hunting for the sweet spot with the bobby pin, my character does. I don't have to be good at Pipe Dream or Mastermind or finding two passwords in a sea of rapidly shifting characters that hurts to look at, my character does.

E: Also, in AP, if you want to, say, jump up onto a ledge, you have to find the specific point where the developer decided that you can jump up onto that ledge at. I played AP just before Arkham Asylum, and I think AP made the remarkably athletic gameplay of AA feel all the more awesome because all the athletic stuff my AP character was perfectly capable of but only programmed to do at specific places, Batman could do anywhere, at any time.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Well to be fair stilted movement is sort of a trademark of RPGs. Even Elder Scrolls games can limit where you can go sometimes.

But I don't know if this was a PC only thing but Alpha Protocol had a bizarre bug where if you reloaded from a checkpoint it wouldn't spawn enemies. If you loaded from a save it did, but restarting after dying meant the level would be empty and you couldn't proceed because scripts wouldn't trigger. It wasn't a rare or one off bug, it happened every single time and it was ridiculous.

I also had a bug where the chopper in the end game mission would not spawn and I had to keep reloading till somehow, the exposed wall appeared without the helicopter anyway.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

RagnarokAngel posted:

Well to be fair stilted movement is sort of a trademark of RPGs. Even Elder Scrolls games can limit where you can go sometimes.

But I don't know if this was a PC only thing but Alpha Protocol had a bizarre bug where if you reloaded from a checkpoint it wouldn't spawn enemies. If you loaded from a save it did, but restarting after dying meant the level would be empty and you couldn't proceed because scripts wouldn't trigger. It wasn't a rare or one off bug, it happened every single time and it was ridiculous.

I also had a bug where the chopper in the end game mission would not spawn and I had to keep reloading till somehow, the exposed wall appeared without the helicopter anyway.

Oh God, I had blocked that enemy spawning bug out, thanks for reminding me.

I really wish someone would make a fanpatch for Alpha Protocol. It was such a good game on the rare occasions it was actually playable.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Alpha Protocol was literally bug free in my experience and it didn't even necessitate a single title update on the 360 (the platform I played it on). The one bug I'm aware of is an erroneous mission debrief if you enter one level through a specific entrance.

If you don't spend all your skill points after Saudi the game hardlocks.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Not on the 360.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I never had any particularly big problems with Alpha Protocol. I'm very tolerant towards bugs though unless they literally stop me from playing the game. Everyone gets the re-spawn bug for example, but who cares? If you just load the save manually it works fine.

I've never gotten any show-stoppers in Obsidian games. NWN2 was the worst in the polish department I'd say as the performance was, and is, really terrible (though that's true for NWN1 also, even this long after its release and considering how fugly as hell). Never had any bugs in KOTOR2 and think the whole "omg cut content1!1!" was a severe case of internet hype. There were things that were nice to have back in the restoration patch, absolutely, (mostly end-game stuff as I recall), but most of the restored content was IMO cut for a good reason.

I'll gladly suffer through bugs if the game is interesting/unique/ambitious design-wise. This was true for Bloodlines, even though the later half of it kinda sucks.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Ending question: Can I still get the Camarilla ending even if I didn't tell Strauss about the gargoyle, and only got the reward from Isaac?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

CommissarMega posted:

Ending question: Can I still get the Camarilla ending even if I didn't tell Strauss about the gargoyle, and only got the reward from Isaac?

Nope, don't think so. The keys to getting that ending are that quest you mention and the plaguebearer quest, as I recall.

Edit: oh, and I think you need to explore the conversation options with him involving LaCroix and the Camarilla.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jan 25, 2012

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fuzz posted:

Nope, don't think so. The keys to getting that ending are that quest you mention and the plaguebearer quest, as I recall.

Edit: oh, and I think you need to explore the conversation options with him involving LaCroix and the Camarilla.

drat, and I got to Chinatown :(

Oh well, any excuse to start a Malk playthrough.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

CommissarMega posted:

drat, and I got to Chinatown :(

Oh well, any excuse to start a Malk playthrough.

If you're still in a hub couldn't you just go back to downtown?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

While I'm really enjoying this game, some parts of it are really trying my patience.

Specifically: the sewers!

Here, have a bossfight! Was that fun? No? Alright, have a giant loving maze populated with five of them!

At least I was able to just activate Celerity and speed past everything. I have no idea what someone without it would do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

ToxicFrog posted:

While I'm really enjoying this game, some parts of it are really trying my patience.

Specifically: the sewers!

Here, have a bossfight! Was that fun? No? Alright, have a giant loving maze populated with five of them!

At least I was able to just activate Celerity and speed past everything. I have no idea what someone without it would do.

Use the noclip cheat, that's what everyone seems to do on their second playthrough.

• Locked thread