Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bo Berry
Sep 21, 2011

Easy breezy beautiful colored world I'm in love with you
R-O-Y-G-B-I-V your colors are a comedy

Andrigaar posted:

I shall join the choir or nerdy angst towards the advertisement. But only because it looks like Ren Faire after-hours. On a more important note, I can't even tell what they're advertising. Sure, it's food, but whoever designed the poster made any specifics so unobtrusive that as far as I can tell they're simply promoting fast food as the choice of mercenaries.

There's probably advertising in Japanese or something. Also, this is clearly a reference to when Griffith sold his body to that weird king. Just because you're willing to sell yourself doesn't mean you can't be respected. Obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Andrigaar posted:

I shall join the choir or nerdy angst towards the advertisement. But only because it looks like Ren Faire after-hours. On a more important note, I can't even tell what they're advertising. Sure, it's food, but whoever designed the poster made any specifics so unobtrusive that as far as I can tell they're simply promoting fast food as the choice of mercenaries.

They're pushing teriyaki burgers. Guess he needs to buy a few more xboxes, eh?

Good for him, I don't care at all.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

As long as the content in the Manga is :black101: as hell who cares about some advertisements.

Hell I hope he ends up stumping to sell contact lens.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Oh Jesus Christ, Guts with a burger in hand, ha ha ha ha

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
"Would you sacrifice your comrades for a burger?"

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

That ad is loving hilarious.

As for the CG the only part that really bothered me is at 1:40 in the video where Guts and Caska fight. Jerky movements with no clear lines of action. As drawings that speed could have worked, but as CG it's missing something big. Also Caska's face looks incredibly doll-like in that shot, and not at all as if she's a real human being. They should have redrawn the face and composited it into that shot. But oh well, nothing's perfect.

The ultra green grass is also bothering me a bit. As artists they should have known green is a difficult color to work with and toned it down some.

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

We say there's no parting for us, if our hearts are conveyed to each other.
Griffith would sell out for promotional consideration. Guts is a mercenary but if he is paid to decimate a burger I don't think that's too far fetched.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
But what if Guts was possessed and the burger was the only love of his life?

temple fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 17, 2012

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Rakugoon posted:

Well, not for a teriyaki burger.

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu
It looks like there are additional posters in the lower right hand corner. I would buy the poo poo out of Guts eating a burger.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Someone needs to make fanart of the God Hand as McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, Arby's, and Taco Bell and show Guts cutting through them with a giant spork. lovely fast food causes unstoppable rage.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Soulcleaver posted:

Someone needs to make fanart of the God Hand as McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, Arby's, and Taco Bell and show Guts cutting through them with a giant spork. lovely fast food causes unstoppable rage.

Nah, he'd plead the Twinkie defense after he finished delivering them their fate. Made to order.

AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK
You guys, theres a battle scene. One that isn't just a sidescroll over a still image with flames overtop. A real battle scene.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

AN ANGRY MOTHER posted:

You guys, theres a battle scene. One that isn't just a sidescroll over a still image with flames overtop. A real battle scene.

Honestly, I'm happier that Zodd actually has a roar now. In the original anime, the Japanese version just had an old guy going "RRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAA*hackkkkkk*" at the top of his lungs. Definitely wasn't intimidating at all, and sounded like the poor guy was going to have a loving heart attack. :ohdear:

This is one of the only things that was superior in the dub, because IIRC they actually added a kind of roaring\yelling sound effect to the voiceover.

An Istorian
Jan 1, 2012

by Ozmaugh
Lhe origin of the term "baka", i always imagined, was to be read like a horse atop a deer. Like a topheavy hierarchy which puts the worker above the corporation. It's the release of fiction which allows us to ponder absurdities such as the novel "what if" where president Reagan was rescued by a few hard mercs (or "bad dudes")

Except Griffith couldn't stop at the burger. And neither could Guts. My what a tasty beverage, indeed. I'd love to see a better quality pic of that ad poster.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

An Istorian posted:

Lhe origin of the term "baka", i always imagined, was to be read like a horse atop a deer. Like a topheavy hierarchy which puts the worker above the corporation. It's the release of fiction which allows us to ponder absurdities such as the novel "what if" where president Reagan was rescued by a few hard mercs (or "bad dudes")

Except Griffith couldn't stop at the burger. And neither could Guts. My what a tasty beverage, indeed. I'd love to see a better quality pic of that ad poster.

:stare:

An Istorian
Jan 1, 2012

by Ozmaugh
the burger king later hired the kushaan, or "ninjas", to apprehend and imprison those who would wish to defy the corporate imperial hairatage by sympathising with the hamburgler who brazenly added his own sesame seed to either the physical makeup of the patented secret sauce, or the less immediately tangible intellectual likeness of his daughter, wendy.

ancient eastern myth man, its all chinatown jack. saltwater spends the grass.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

AN ANGRY MOTHER posted:

Yeah, this is the number one reason why I don't really mind the CG. Because there's actual MOVEMENT. ANIMATION. HORSES THAT ACTUALLY WALK AND RUN! I think the original anime showed a full horse about once or twice. Now they're all over the place! It's great.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

EDIT: NM, wow there were a lot more posts than I thought.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?
Isn't the movie being released or has been in Japan this month? Anyone hear of or seen any reviews thus far?

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Rakugoon posted:

"I submit....TO LOW PRICES!"

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

xzoto1 posted:

Isn't the movie being released or has been in Japan this month? Anyone hear of or seen any reviews thus far?

It got delayed to February

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Hahahah as if the burger ad wasn't enough, now Guts and Griffith are shilling for an Online Movie Ticket reservation system.

quote:

In the ad, Guts is frustrated over getting movie tickets, until Griffith explains Kinezo to him.

I can hear the screams of the SK.net mods, and they are sweet.
I wonder if they realize that whoring Berserk out with ads is pretty much the only way you could make high-budget films out of such an adult, niche series...

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNZNCd62XLc

Short featurette with a bunch of new footage from the movie. It's going to be one long wait for this to come out over here. :(

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Awesome Welles posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNZNCd62XLc

Short featurette with a bunch of new footage from the movie. It's going to be one long wait for this to come out over here. :(
Don't worry, we've been conditioned for this. This is only the latest test for our patience.

In other news, it looks like a new chapter is coming out this Friday on the 27th. The last chapter came out around September 26th. We are almost at the end of a four month long break. Hopefully we can get a good run before the next long break.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I'll be optimistic: I bet 4 chapters.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Featurette looks awesome. Goddamn, I want this movie and it's sequels. I want them right now!

But I guess a new chapter of the actual comic in a few days will have to tide me over.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

A few more interviews have been posted online with cast members, nothing too special (they even gave one for Pippin and Gaston), but one that caught my eye was the footage in the interview with the actor voicing Corkus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d86TfJgQpv8&feature=related

The shading, the leaves falling, the detail looks outstanding. I'd loving kill to see this on the big screen at this point.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

New CM has a bit of the 100 man fight. http://youtu.be/87aSFzJqn74
Colors look great. The CG still doesn't meld quite as well as I'd like it to. I can see they're hand drawing the eyes in most of the time though, which is good. Bad CG eyes can really send something over into the uncanny valley.

At 9 seconds in I'm pretty sure Gut's hair, neck, nose, and body are CG but those close up eyes are traditional, or they've at least drawn the eyelashes in separately. Quite an intensive process to get things looking better.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The cg looks bad. It just can't pull off the style. I'd have rather by far it was animated traditionally.

That said it'll still be a spectacle worth watching. It'll just be unwatchable in a few years.

Unfortunately I feel the same way about big chunks of the rebuild movies as well. The cg people walking around look so so SO bad that I can't believe they thought the could use it for more than story boarding. The ONLY time these shambling, souless piece of crap haven't looked awful was in Highschool of the Dead, and that's because they were portraying zombies

The melding of styles to make it look passable is interesting, but it's like... clearly traditional animation would look better.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah, but if it were traditionally done we'd never be able to get 3 movies in one year. I actually think Gut's cape movements, while CG, look pretty good.

But yeah, if only there were enough skilled traditional animators and there was money enough to hire them to make Berserk in traditional animation a reality. Sigh.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Given Rebuild's "1 movie a year" claim was disproved about 5 years ago, I am highly dubious all three berserk movies will come out in one year.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
It's pretty clear massive CG use was the only way to get this project off the ground. Especially since their ambitions seem to extend beyond the Golden Age arc.

It doesn't look great, but hey, at least it allows for actual movement in the battle scenes rather than frequent re-use of frames and slow pans over stills.

DamnGlitch posted:

Given Rebuild's "1 movie a year" claim was disproved about 5 years ago, I am highly dubious all three berserk movies will come out in one year.
They already have the releases scheduled though. Like, down to the month. There may even have been precise dates announced by now. I'm a believer.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I suppose they have all the source material they need, but still. The japanese have burned me too many times on movie release dates!

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
This is the best Voice Actor clip so far:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrKMbSJ6j1g&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010

Nahxela posted:

This is the best Voice Actor clip so far:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrKMbSJ6j1g&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhDSf9IQAlg&feature=related

Gaston's fake tan begs to differ

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Bit late, but when I read people talking about "Berserk music" I instantly thought of the theme from the PS2 game.

Man, I really wish they had localized that, it looked cool as hell in the trailers. Closest we ever got was Guts' sword in Samurai Western, unfortunately. Might be a good game to LP someday.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Vengarr posted:

Bit late, but when I read people talking about "Berserk music" I instantly thought of the theme from the PS2 game.

Man, I really wish they had localized that, it looked cool as hell in the trailers. Closest we ever got was Guts' sword in Samurai Western, unfortunately. Might be a good game to LP someday.

I honestly thought it was pretty strange that they didn't localize it. Guts' Rage came out when there was even less awareness about the series in North America and IIRC it sold decently and even had a fair share of good reviews.

The PS2 game was (again) an entertaining hack and slash with, for its time, pretty good graphics and impressive cutscenes. Sure it wouldn't have been a runaway success but I was genuinely surprised that it was completely passed on, even as a limited release. The game definitely wasn't perfect and shared a few problems here and there with Yuke's first try (problematic camera, repetitive gameplay) but it's still fun as hell and the atmosphere nailed the look, feel, and sound of Berserk.

I mean, poo poo, they went the extra mile for Guts' Rage getting some pretty fantastic voice actors for the English cast, too.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
The cutscenes in the PS2 game were so good hnnnng :flashfap: although it was kind of a chore to play.

Also this is relevant;
:siren: Berserk #326 :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I think Miura must have forgotten what a panel is. I think there's only 2 or 3 pages in that whole chapter that weren't full or 2 page spreads. Not that I'm complaining.