Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeapFrog
Nov 9, 2011

Guilty posted:

At this point you kind of need to get out there and try something and report back on how it is instead of spending days speculating on things could be...

I'm not going to go off topic but that's how I do things.

niethan posted:

Capoeira involves very little actual touching by the way.

I should of mentioned before I looked into capoeira and wasn't interested in it at all. Thanks though.

Thoguh posted:

There's nothing wrong with Taekwondo if your goal is to lose weight and get in shape. As long as you don't think it's going to make you an unstoppable killing machine or something it's a good workout and can be a lot of fun. Just realize that there is a reason that 6 year olds have black belts.

Yeah...that's what I thought since no one brought it up.

Grifter posted:

This is one of those "really depends on the gym" kind of things. TKD can be a great workout if you go to a gym where they emphasize a hard warmup and do more sparring than forms. Alternately it might be more of a slow recitation of moves kind of thing.

When you say "shy" do you mean that you are looking to get rid of your shyness through martial arts, or are you saying you might be interested in something that will not make you uncomfortable? If it's the latter, you might try to simply go to your local Y and check into something like cardio kickboxing or anything boxercisey. You'll get a good workout but it's in a classroom environment where you can fade into the mass of other people who are all doing the same thing.

I just want to do something that doesn't make me too uncomfortable. I know taking a martial arts class isn't going to cure that. I am considering the kickboxing class.

Thank you all for the help. I'll probably settle on a kickboxing class or something similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Have you considered therapy?

LeapFrog
Nov 9, 2011

niethan posted:

Have you considered therapy?

I wanted to keep these separate, but I have a topic in E/N if you're really that interested. I don't understand what that has to do with finding a class.

mewse
May 2, 2006

LeapFrog posted:

I just want to do something that doesn't make me too uncomfortable. I know taking a martial arts class isn't going to cure that. I am considering the kickboxing class.

Thank you all for the help. I'll probably settle on a kickboxing class or something similar.

i hope you try the kickboxing class, at least once (since once leads to twice, and before you know it you're going every week because it's comfortable). it's not going to do jack about your anxiety directly, it just provides confidence in your body and abilities the same as any other sport.

and a girl that knows how to fight is badass

e: leapfrog i just skimmed your e/n posts and i just wanna say good luck. from your writing and your desire to make things better it's obvious you're not stupid and i think every little challenge you overcome is going to make you a stronger person. you don't need great conversational abilities to take kickboxing. the benefits are innumerable.

mewse fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 22, 2012

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

mewse posted:

i hope you try the kickboxing class, at least once (since once leads to twice, and before you know it you're going every week because it's comfortable). it's not going to do jack about your anxiety directly, it just provides confidence in your body and abilities the same as any other sport.

If it's actual kickboxing and not cardio kickboxing, it will whip you into shape. Those people are athletes in every sense of the word. The trainer is able to run 10 miles and then do the workouts I do (which are 2.5 hours long). He's a loving maniac.

Ugh. Several of our guys are gearing up for a fight. That means we've been going harder in sparring for them. I caught a front kick right in the nose and it looks ridiculous.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.

LeapFrog posted:

My previous post on recommending boxing is pretty much the same for kickboxing. Minimal small talk, just shut the gently caress up and train.

Even though the aerobic kickboxing would better suit your anxiety you should try out the fitness kickboxing since that will give you a chance at actual pad work and imo is a better workout (and an actual martial art).

Good luck, have fun.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

mewse posted:

you don't need great conversational abilities to take kickboxing. the benefits are innumerable.

As I've mentioned before, most of the time after a heavy round of drills or sparring, I can't form coherent sentences anyways.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
One of my coaches and the guy who owns the club I train at (and one of the most important men in Aussie judo) teared up at the end of the Judo camp as he was trying to say thankyou to all the other coaches who came from all over Australia to help. Made me go all fuzzy inside. Love that guy to death.
Spent much of today learning uchi mata for the first time and I'm very mentally drained after the last 3 days. One of the best experiences of my life though and totally worth 40 bucks.

e: Whats the benefit of uchi mata over harai goshi? Seems like uchi mata is harder but with no extra pay off.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jan 22, 2012

Ugrok
Dec 30, 2009

mewse posted:

drat yeah, theres this girl in my class, she's really pretty and she owns me everytime we spare, i can't help but fall in love !

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
When a big hunk of man wrestles me into submission I can't help but fall in love.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

This is kind of a special case. I've had ingrown toes cut out four times when I was a teenager. I don't want to post pictures because it's gross, but basically I broke my toe, and it made the toe malformed. Letting the toe keep growing forward will actually cut off this weird lump of flesh I've got at the front of the toe and return my toe to a normal shape.

It's not going down a side or anything, it's just pushing directly forwards. Imagine that you have a lump at the end of your toe growing upwards over the path of the nail.

Also, you don't notice the pain of an ingrown toe most of the day. If you hit it at the wrong angle it hurts like hell, but it's fine for most stuff. For example, if I were to hold somebody in side control, with the end of my toes touching the floor, it would be agony. But I can run, skip, lift and box and it's barely noticable. The pain level will stay about the same, I think it kills the nerves as it goes.

I'm tossing up whether or not to do some Muay Thai down the line a bit. I figure if I was good at it I'd never hit my toes, but I'm bad at it so I probably will.

cut the bit of skin in front of the nail off now? just do it. get it over with. ?

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

niethan posted:

When a big hunk of man wrestles me into submission I can't help but fall in love.

Our Gay Sport

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nierbo posted:

e: Whats the benefit of uchi mata over harai goshi? Seems like uchi mata is harder but with no extra pay off.

Uchi Mata is the prettiest throw. So there is that. This is a picture of me getting thrown with Uchi Mata. I'm losing but I still think it's a sweet throw.

They are very different throws. Uchimata involves scooping up their leg and the rotation is more or less in the plane of their hips. With Harai you are sweeping up the leg and the rotation is perpendicular to where their hips started.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Thoguh posted:

Uchi Mata is the prettiest throw. So there is that. This is a picture of me getting thrown with Uchi Mata. I'm losing but I still think it's a sweet throw.

They are very different throws. Uchimata involves scooping up their leg and the rotation is more or less in the plane of their hips. With Harai you are sweeping up the leg and the rotation is perpendicular to where their hips started.

This.. They are very similar and very different at the same time. Hane goshi feels like it's kind of in the middle between the two.

Are you doing uchi mata on the leg you sweep with harai goshi or uchi mata on their other leg? The "standard" uchi mata is done by attacking the same leg you'd sweep with harai goshi I think, but I usually use the other version more in randori.

Also, if your opponents legs are spread wide, you can't really do harai goshi, so uchi mata at least has this purpose (when I see someone who has a very wide stance I'll often attack with uchi mata). This also means that it can combo very well with things like kouchi/ouchi gari depending on the reaction you get from your opponent.

basically, they look and feel similar at first, but they are quite different in practice.

Also uchi mata is like way more badass and is very good at hurting like hell when you fall flat on your back.

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat

Nierbo posted:

Think of Judo as a language. You wouldn't ask, "Why should I ever use 'legume' over 'peanut,' when 'legume' is so much harder to say?" The answer to that question would be hidden in the context of your discussion- have you been talking about food or pieces of Styrofoam?

Similarly, the question of uchi mata vs harai goshi depends entirely on context. Is your opponent "asking" how you would counter his single leg takedown or are you "telling" him about the third step in your attack sequence? Have you been on the subject long? Are you just repeating yourself for emphasis or changing your mind about a previous point? Most importantly, is this an argument or a conversation?

I use uchi mata when the opponent is ready to hear it, and when I can present it as unquestionable fact. Same deal with harai and hane goshi. Hope that helps!

Ridleys Revenge fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 22, 2012

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Nierbo posted:

Uchimata is not really easier than harai. This sounds weird, but for me, Uchimata is good because it has a pretty large margin of error. That means even if I don't nail it right away, I can still hop it through, or transition much easier than I can from a harai. Harai seems like you either nail it, or you miss and thats pretty much all she wrote.

Harai: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDrQA1Z0EgQ
Uchimata: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAkTChZi7WA

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

swmmrmanshen posted:

Uchimata is not really easier than harai. This sounds weird, but for me, Uchimata is good because it has a pretty large margin of error. That means even if I don't nail it right away, I can still hop it through, or transition much easier than I can from a harai. Harai seems like you either nail it, or you miss and thats pretty much all she wrote.

Harai: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDrQA1Z0EgQ
Uchimata: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAkTChZi7WA

Is it just me or does it look like inoue is doing some sort of hane goshi in the second video?

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat
"Hane-goshi (spring hip) does place a leg between uki's legs but the throw is characterized by getting power from ones hip flexor in an outward motion, rather then from extending the leg straight backwards as in harai, uchi mata or o-soto-gare."

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
That does help a lot. thanks guys.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Ridleys Revenge posted:

"Hane-goshi (spring hip) does place a leg between uki's legs but the throw is characterized by getting power from ones hip flexor in an outward motion, rather then from extending the leg straight backwards as in harai, uchi mata or o-soto-gare."

Thanks, I was wondering since the way I learned hane goshi you sort of push him away from you and had never seen it done this way so I was wondering if there was some secret hane goshi I didn't know of and the author of the video just didn't know better. Seems like it's more of a secret uchi mata I didn't know about! Doing uchi mata this way would probably give me more power on the leg extension part. Definitely worth trying

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 22, 2012

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAdRr1gsu0w Is this what you're talking about KC? It's what I think of when I think "secret hane" because of that initial lift that occurs while tori is still facing the uke.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Bangkero posted:

My previous post on recommending boxing is pretty much the same for kickboxing. Minimal small talk, just shut the gently caress up and train.

Even though the aerobic kickboxing would better suit your anxiety you should try out the fitness kickboxing since that will give you a chance at actual pad work and imo is a better workout (and an actual martial art).

Good luck, have fun.

Fitness kickboxing looks interesting to me. I wanna start hitting more classes at my gym and I've been thinking of hitting some of those on top of the classes cause it looks like a good way to get form down while being a super cardio workout. The classes I've being doing lately haven't had much in the way of pad or bag work so far. Mostly just partner drills and sparring, which is great and fun but I kinda miss pad work.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Nierbo posted:

It's been a while since I've done Judo but doesn't Harai Goshi work better on someone moving laterally while Uchi Mata is better for someone that's either moving towards you or stationary? The reason you learn so many variations on hip throws and all that is so that you can attack many stances efficiently.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ridleys Revenge posted:

I ussually teach Harai-Goshi and Hane-Goshi at the same time and have guys do most of their fit ins with Hane-Goshi because the footwork and upper body pull is very similar but you have much more control during the Uchikomi. With Hane-Goshi it is a lot easier to have guys do a proper fit in without having to do the Kake. With a properly executed Harai-Goshi is is almost impossible not to put the Uke on the mat.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

NovemberMike posted:

It's been a while since I've done Judo but doesn't Harai Goshi work better on someone moving laterally while Uchi Mata is better for someone that's either moving towards you or stationary? The reason you learn so many variations on hip throws and all that is so that you can attack many stances efficiently.

I think you're backwards on that one. Harai-Goshi is magical for an opponent who is pushing in and Uchimata is great for a guy who is blocking out with his hips back and his legs spread wide.

My go to moves for a guy who is pushing are Harai-Goshi or Soto-Makimomi. For a guy who has his hips back and spread it is Tomoe-Nage (since I suck at Uchi-Mata).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I'm thoroughly motivated by this:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21328485.000-compression-garments-reduce-muscle-fatigue.html
I might wear a compression tight to next sparring session.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

attackmole posted:

The classes I've being doing lately haven't had much in the way of pad or bag work so far. Mostly just partner drills and sparring, which is great and fun but I kinda miss pad work.

Well that isn't surprising, it sounds like your basic technique class then. If you have 1-1.5 hours to train, it's hard to fit pads or punching a heavy bag in there. Our club has different classes for that, as they should.

Which reminds me, I think I'm off to our late morning cardio class just because I can ->

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Joe Rogan on the benefits of learning jujitsu; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Tp7LP6ciU0&feature=endscreen&NR=1&list=ULEDZZ5qZc6Dk

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Thoguh posted:

I think you're backwards on that one. Harai-Goshi is magical for an opponent who is pushing in and Uchimata is great for a guy who is blocking out with his hips back and his legs spread wide.

My go to moves for a guy who is pushing are Harai-Goshi or Soto-Makimomi. For a guy who has his hips back and spread it is Tomoe-Nage (since I suck at Uchi-Mata).

You're probably right, it's been around ten years now since I've seriously done Judo. I just remember that each throw tended to be superior against a certain defense.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Tonight is my second judo practice, looking forward to it, especially since we had a visitor last time who is also a complete judo/martial arts newbie and sounded like he was joining, so I'll have company in my awfulness.

Question--I'm assuming I'll spend the next few practices mostly drilling on how to fall and some of the basic throws, right? I'm having fun but I'm pretty sure if they had me try to practice sparring and actual throwing right now I'd hurt myself.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
There's a student run mixed martial arts club in my town that's been up and running for a couple of years, and today I decided to stop by their submission wrestling class, because a couple of my training partners cross train there, and since it's hosted by the university it's really cheap.

Previously, I've talked about how I've never really felt unsafe among the stereotypical wild white belts and beginners, and I'd never really encountered any grappler that just throws caution to the wind and goes full blown explosive every time they go for a submission unless they're some krav maga person, and I thought this was just some kind of hyperbolic stereotype, but drat; today I did not feel safe grappling.

I was making an effort to focus on technique and keep a good flow going, which was something of a challenge when met with herky jerky 110% intensity submission and sweep attempts. I mean, if nothing else, it sure as hell gave me inspiration to get out of any position that could end up being bad, because if someone went for an armbar, I was afraid they'd somehow noclip through the floor and break my arm across my spine. I felt like I had to actually defend myself from getting injured, if that makes sense.

Of course, this wasn't all of them, but in a nogi class it's hard to separate the beginners from the intermediates, or the people that want to break you from the ones trying to put on techniques.

Also, if anyone here trains in a bomb shelter with no air conditioning, you have my deepest sympathies because god drat it's horrible.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pellisworth posted:

Question--I'm assuming I'll spend the next few practices mostly drilling on how to fall and some of the basic throws, right? I'm having fun but I'm pretty sure if they had me try to practice sparring and actual throwing right now I'd hurt myself.

Probably, though they might have you work in some actual throws and maybe some randori. If at any point you're uncomfortable or not ready for something just say so. If it is a worthwhile club they'll respect that.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Went to a new club tonight. Got ippon-ed 4 times in about 3 minutes by a former olympic alternate. At -60kg. (I'm 100kg). Yeah tonight was awesome.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

My gym got kicked out of our old premises after 6 months because we were causing the ceiling in the offices downstairs to fall out. Third move since 2009, poo poo's getting old. We're hoping to get a sweet new premises soon, really big space, shared with a grappling/bjj gym these guys) who seem pretty legit.

Right now we're just training in whatever rooms are free at the clubs and societies building at the university which kinda sucks cos we can't do grappling and have no gear really and have only 2hrs a day

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Judo Journal Day 2: My body is artfully covered in bruises

My left shoulder has the entire spectrum of bruise colors; yellow, green, beige/brown, red, and purple. Today was more learning how to fall, practicing osoto gari (which I'm apparently doing pretty well, being 6'2" tall) and some basic ground work.

Question regarding recovery: my right shoulder is pretty sore and I expect it'll be nice and stiff tomorrow. I asked one of the senseis in the locker room what he recommended to help recovery and he said to take a long hot shower. I asked if I should take some ibuprofen or other anti-inflammatory/painkiller and he shrugged and said I could, but it might be better not to. Or, in his words, "you don't want it be like cocaine where you have to depend on it; your body will adapt to the pain eventually."

Thoughts on that? Should I be downing ibuprofen after training sessions or will that impair my body "toughening up?"

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Is it injured or is it just hurting because you're doing things that your body isn't used to?

These two things require exactly the opposite approach to each other.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Smegmatron posted:

Is it injured or is it just hurting because you're doing things that your body isn't used to?

These two things require exactly the opposite approach to each other.

I strongly doubt my shoulder is injured. It's sore and I expect it will be sore and stiff tomorrow, but I have full range of movement and the pain is fairly mild/moderate but noticeable.

I lift weights 3x a week and do various cardio, though nothing that would condition my joints and body to take the beatings judo gives me.

Ugrok
Dec 30, 2009
If you can avoid taking pills, it's always better i think...

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
How often and for how long do you guys train? I just want to get an idea of what other people do. My schedule currently looks something like this:

Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday evenings - 1 1/2 hours BJJ (including warm-up)

Sometimes I go to MT instead on Thursdays.

I am going to try from today mixing in 1 1/2 hours of MT at lunchtime (yay flexible hours) on those days.

Every other day I just go for a run and try and do regular exercise.

Sorry if this is the wrong place, perhaps W&W would be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I lift weight twice a week, according to a Starting Strength like program, and do MMA twice a week, 1 hour 30 min. each time. I plan on going up to three martial arts classes a week though, now that I've gotten into the training groove.

• Locked thread