Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Many of those forums have rules whereby the slightest criticism, even if it was meant to be constructive, results in a dramabomb or you being banned. The people who flock there aren't interested in actually learning to draw, they just want to be told what a genius they are, and it you don't like it then the only possible reason is because you're jealous, or not being properly respectful of their personal style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

Sweevo posted:

Many of those forums have rules whereby the slightest criticism, even if it was meant to be constructive, results in a dramabomb or you being banned. The people who flock there aren't interested in actually learning to draw, they just want to be told what a genius they are, and it you don't like it then the only possible reason is because you're jealous, or not being properly respectful of their personal style.

Oh, that reminds me of that one time on the Sexy Losers forums (back in the day when the comic was hosted on StileProject)... Dude draws a first comic for a webcomic he wants to do, wants feedback. Everybody's like "wow, you're so good" and everything. Admittedly, the art was actually decent. But the "story" was just exposition, in fact the "protagonist" was just talking about what the comic would be about. So I point it out: there's nothing happening, no story, it doesn't make me want to read further, it's just telling not showing, it's static. And everybody got angry at me, saying "if you don't like it, don't read it, why did you post just to complain". Because you asked for criticism feedback, not praise.

Still, this thread is getting low on content. I unfortunately don't have crazy stories from delusional friends.

Farbauti
Dec 8, 2011

Electric Pope posted:

Jesus Christ how is it even possible to be this bad? I understand being inexperienced, I understand having dumb ideas, I understand having no concept of theory, but sheesh, even if I were putting pencil to paper for the very first time, only rarely saw real humans in the flesh, and had never heard or read a word of theory or advice, I would think I'd AT LEAST be able to realize that eye is way too far to the left before drawing it just by looking at the "nose" and the other eye.

Crazy Gaia Poster posted:

i know loving everything about art

She knows everything about art.

Crazy Gaia Poster posted:

judge them on how good their art is on clean lines, Consistancy, Shine , and detail ! those are what makes you TRUE artist.

You can tell she is a TRUE artist because of all the detail.

the kawaiiest posted:

This is her art

Perhaps I am not cultured enough to value such creative genius for what it is.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

Farbauti posted:

Perhaps I am not cultured enough to value such creative genius for what it is.

Everything that is bad about that picture is just her style, duh. Do you think that someone who knows everything about art would draw like a not especially gifted 8 year old without it being on purpose? You loving plebe.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Ah yes, I remember the Gackt phase well.

This was when Denise would, as Kat said, buy all the new releases, posters, and that videogame for which he was the model or something.

Her story was that he was 400 years old, a vampire, and had a penis nicknamed Magnum. I don't really know much about Gackt, I tend to go for guys who are thicker set and a little hairier than that so I never paid much attention.

She never said she had any astral babbys with him, but she did tell me about how Gackt and her used to gently caress like all the time on the astral plane, and it wouldn't be long before Gackt realised that she was his true soul mate and would start searching for her.

She told me she had written him letters. I said that perhaps this wasn't a good idea and she sulked at me because what do I know, I mean poo poo, I had never known the pleasure of a lover's touch on the astral. When she had plans to go to this concert, she told me that she was planning to go in backstage and that Gackt would recognise her instantly. Hearing the little detail from Kat about how she left her e-mail address with one of the entourage is pretty hilarious. I guess Denise figured since she's totally Gackt's one true astral waifu, that means she gets a free VIP pass or whatever. It gives me ridiculous levels of schadenfreude to imagine her face as security told her to get the gently caress out.

Oh, Brian made a new account and sent me another message, by the way. Addressed to Yzak.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Oh god, what a horribly obsessive creeper. gently caress that guy. Do you think he'd ever try to like... meet up with you? Show up at your house kinda thing?

Hey Ugly, what happened to all the new Denise stories and art you promised us? :qq: The other people's stories are great but I want to read more about her special crazy.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

quote:

Do you think he'd ever try to like... meet up with you? Show up at your house kinda thing?

Oh, totally. But I live on another continent now so I'd love to see him try! :D

As for Denise stuff, I'm trying to find a job, so I'm doing it in my spare time and still collating. I've got a few panels of her SUPER HOT STORY done.

Unbudgingprawn
Feb 13, 2008

Thanks uglynoodles, kawaiiest, Rhino and everyone else for the thread!

I just went through 75+ pages in a weekend. I can't imagine what most people in this thread have gone through, my own experience with anime/crazy people pales in comparison

That being said, on with the stories!

Rick the Roomate and the Underaged Internet Girlfriend

So this happened in high school, at a small boarding school. I was in the ~sPecial SnOwflake~ mindset, so I didn't make friends with the vast majority of the preppy student body at first. Instead, I became steadfast friends with Rick and a crew of anime loving people. Some were pretty sane and stable, others had issues that would slowly come to light

Rick and I were that awkward geek pair that are inseparable. He would walk around in a trench coat and fedora, I had this military greatcoat. We would talk about anime or atheism loudly etc. Quite the goony pair.

So after becoming roomates, we spent way too much time on the internet and not enough time socializing with other people. This is when Rick met the self described Victorian Loli, or Vicki as we will call her.

I don't want to cause another Lolita themed derail, but she was one of the crazy ones. She was pretty interested in Victorian England, or at least her weird Emilie Autumn/Sweeny Todd version of it, more about that later.

I think he met Vicki on Stickam, in some form or fashion. It was love at first sight. Within a week they were chatting every day. One night, I woke up at 3 am and noticed Rick was at his computer. He was typing pretty furiously
Me: huh?
Rick: oh, you're up
Me: Yeah, your typing woke me up
Rick:(urgently) yeah, about that. Can you get out?
Me: Why can't I just sleep here?
Rick:We're cybering. I'm about to jerk off.
Me:(gets the hell out)

And so I was sexiled by my roomates' internet girlfriend. Hardly the worst story in the thread, but hey, it's a start.

This also raised questions as to what happened on nights when I wasn't woken up, but I didn't want to go there.

I also have Dan the Wandering Samurai and more about the internet girlfriends

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

uglynoodles posted:

Her story was that he was 400 years old, a vampire, and had a penis nicknamed Magnum. I don't really know much about Gackt, I tend to go for guys who are thicker set and a little hairier than that so I never paid much attention.

Yep, that is about right. The key difference is that Gackt pulled that stuff out of his rear end to be cheeky to reporters and does not believe a single word of his own bullshit. Well, maybe he does believe the hype about his penis but I digress.

e: My spelling are great.

I Watson fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 23, 2012

Selenite
Feb 17, 2011

uglynoodles posted:

Ah yes, I remember the Gackt phase well.

This was when Denise would, as Kat said, buy all the new releases, posters, and that videogame for which he was the model or something.

She never said she had any astral babbys with him, but she did tell me about how Gackt and her used to gently caress like all the time on the astral plane, and it wouldn't be long before Gackt realised that she was his true soul mate and would start searching for her.

She told me she had written him letters. I said that perhaps this wasn't a good idea and she sulked at me because what do I know, I mean poo poo, I had never known the pleasure of a lover's touch on the astral. When she had plans to go to this concert, she told me that she was planning to go in backstage and that Gackt would recognise her instantly. Hearing the little detail from Kat about how she left her e-mail address with one of the entourage is pretty hilarious. I guess Denise figured since she's totally Gackt's one true astral waifu, that means she gets a free VIP pass or whatever. It gives me ridiculous levels of schadenfreude to imagine her face as security told her to get the gently caress out.

Oh, Brian made a new account and sent me another message, by the way. Addressed to Yzak.

For someone who couldn't even masterbate she sure obsessed over sex. Or maybe she just liked to brag about all the totally wild and spiritual astral loving she was getting to make up for it?

And how the hell does a Japanese man get to be a centuries old French vamp? Maybe that way he and Denise would have similarly poor hygiene?

Why hasn't anyone beat the crap out of Brian yet?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Unbudgingprawn posted:

Rick the Roomate and the Underaged Internet Girlfriend
Man, at least he gave you warning! Given this thread, I half-expected him to whip it out and start jacking, then blame you for waking up at an inopportune time and ~ruining the mood~.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Antivehicular posted:

Man, at least he gave you warning! Given this thread, I half-expected him to whip it out and start jacking, then blame you for waking up at an inopportune time and ~ruining the mood~.
Funny thing is, after I posted about that guy I started wondering just what happened him, so I asked some friends. He apparently managed to spend a year in Japan but did not learn any Japanese (spent the entire year there complaining about how no one spoke English and that there was "too much fish in the food"), went home, went to college for graphic design but dropped out less than a year later and is still living with his parents. He draws a really, really terrible webcomic about his every day life, in which a chibi version of himself is smarter and funnier than everyone else. On his web site he claims to be a "very talented freelance illustrator just waiting for his big break".

He was the worst in our class and he has made zero progress since then. He must be in his late 30s by now and he's still drawing the same lovely anime. It's amazing.

e: I have just found something amazing: http://dumbgaians.tumblr.com/

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 23, 2012

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

the kawaiiest posted:

Amazing otaku failure-to-launch capsule summary

That's an impressive collection of failure, but is it wrong that my favorite part is his complaining about there being "too much fish in the food?" Japan is an island nation! Of course they eat butt-tons of seafood! Did he just imagine it being somewhere in a free-floating "Asia" where they'd always have mac'n'cheese available for their special gaijin?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Antivehicular posted:

That's an impressive collection of failure, but is it wrong that my favorite part is his complaining about there being "too much fish in the food?" Japan is an island nation! Of course they eat butt-tons of seafood! Did he just imagine it being somewhere in a free-floating "Asia" where they'd always have mac'n'cheese available for their special gaijin?
I honestly wouldn't put it past him. He was so completely out of touch with reality. I think he probably expected the host family to accommodate him in every way, including eating less fish apparently. Because, you know, he was a magical gaijin or something.

What really gets me is the whole "spent a year in Japan but didn't learn any Japanese" part. I know a whole bunch of weeaboos who did this. It's like they think Japan is the greatest place on Earth and has a superior culture and they claim to love it, but they can't be even bothered to learn hiragana? Come on. I speak very little Japanese but I could read hiragana when I was 10 for gently caress's sake.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Sweevo posted:

Ah yes, I love those artists that only want their ego stoked. I got into a row with one of them, when I pointed out that the way her character was posed the boobs were crooked... for whatever reason the one opposite of the raised arm was higher up. When a guy backed me up, she called him gay cause he CLEARLY had something against boobs.

Of course she was the token Asian chick who would makes sure to talk Japanese in game so the guys would go nuts over her. Ragnarok Online attracted all the crazy women. And there are still some of the same people playing it that were there when I quit 5ish years ago.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

the kawaiiest posted:

This is her art

:stare:

Somehow she not only met my worst expectations when I wrote my "Goddammitsomuch you need to understand anatomy" post a while back but exceeded them! Is she even aware that a vertebrate's cranium has to exist in three dimensions?

Corridor posted:

Once I read a published and quite expensive picture book that was pretty much an illustrated exploration diary... like Dinotopia, but more cartoony and fairylandish. I was kinda liking it until I got to one image of a merman that was clearly traced from Alan Lee's drawing in Fairies. I wanted to point it out to someone but didn't have internet at the time. I hope the douche got canned for it.

He was a good artist, too. No idea why he then stole from one of the most famous picture books in the genre. Unless all his drawings were traced from other poo poo.

:aaa:

Holy crap, I own that book thanks to finding it in a dollar store, noticing the Lee/Froud rip-offs, and then noticing many other blatant art steals as well. It's called Chronicles of the Three Counties by Paul Warren, and it looks like he had all intentions of starting the next great illustrated epic. My favorite is the dragon who's been traced from an illustration in a crazy 70's dinosaur book I remember - but he has ears so it's totally different!

And yes, more stories of crazy people please.

Ghost Car
Sep 14, 2009

la_fausse_tortue posted:

From what I gather, he's got this backstory (hell, maybe Parrier made the whole thing up) where he was rly a French vampire that was 300 (400?) years old. Which, of course, would work beautifully in with her prior fascination for French vampires (Lestat).

uglynoodles posted:

Although I can see why you'd be doubtful considering Denise's other stories, these actually are all claims that Gackt himself has made. He is a pretty weird dude, which probably contributes to the low average sanity level of his fangirls. Though mostly that's just... how fangirls are.

Please don't ask me how I know this.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Lyz posted:

Ah yes, I love those artists that only want their ego stoked.
You will love this then. Please note that this is a grown woman.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Jorghnassen posted:

Oh, that reminds me of that one time on the Sexy Losers forums (back in the day when the comic was hosted on StileProject)...

He actually has a tumblr now for his depression comics. You should check it out if you were a fan of his older work. He even posted the comics he drew when he was a NiceGuy and realized he was being a creep.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

He actually has a tumblr now for his depression comics. You should check it out if you were a fan of his older work. He even posted the comics he drew when he was a NiceGuy and realized he was being a creep.

I am well aware of Clay's current work.:c00lbert:

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the kawaiiest posted:

comedy gold

This is so great.

the only sane person on that site posted:

Almost as smart as posting page fifty-twelve of Baby's First Manga, and then throwing a name-calling, tear-soaked toddler-tantrum when it's not borne to heaven on a flight of angels and praise?

Everything this person posts is pure gold.

why you make babby cry posted:

also, i don't feel like post the rest of the story because i know people with a very very "white" mindset will feel hard to accept my art. honestly, i don't get why people with a western background cannot accept new things?

Remember kids, if people take the time to offer legitimate, well-thought out critiques of your art, it's because they're racist!

The deformed foot closeup on the 2nd page is going to haunt my dreams. Not only is it deformed all to hell, but it looks like it's being eaten by slugs.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

LyonsLions posted:

The deformed foot closeup on the 2nd page is going to haunt my dreams. Not only is it deformed all to hell, but it looks like it's being eaten by slugs.
You don't like it? Then you must be white and on your period.

I've mentioned before that I have friends who are staff on Gaia. They always link me to all the weeaboo meltdowns. I'm trying to remember the username of this one guy

Someone found out that he had a diaper fetish shortly after he posted that. It was so great.

the kawaiiest fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 24, 2012

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the kawaiiest posted:

You don't like it? Then you must be white and on your period.

Right on both counts!

Keep posting those meltdowns. I'm always happy to discover a previously untapped (by me) source of internet comedy.

la_fausse_tortue
Oct 25, 2011

Yes, it's a horsebutt.

the kawaiiest posted:

Train wreck of hilarity.

This is beautiful.

Also, I was chatting with Parrier today. He is thinking of taking Japanese at the same university I'm going to. Not sure if you remember me mentioning that I had trouble with the pace the classes are at, but one can only imagine how Parrier will handle them.

And he's in charge of something at the local convention this year. God help us all.

Zotwoz
Apr 2, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

The other thing that most "manga is a style!!!" fangirls ignore is that manga style is optimized for speed. A lot of the stylistic shortcuts are because manga artists need to produce pages and chapters at an insanely quick rate compared to Western comic art, so the style evolved to be quick and efficient to draw.

A bit late, but would you or someone else mind elaborating on this?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

LyonsLions posted:

Right on both counts!

Keep posting those meltdowns. I'm always happy to discover a previously untapped (by me) source of internet comedy.
Well I don't want to hijack this thread, you know?

Here's one more though
http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/comic-creators/pokemon-extreme-thunderstruck-free-manga/t.77040015/

Zotwoz posted:

Manga artists need to produce a huge number of pages in a very short period of time:
http://www.comicsbeat.com/2010/12/02/sample-work-schedule-of-a-manga-artist/

They do everything: writing, pencils, inks and letters. And they have to somehow manage to do a full chapter every week.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

the kawaiiest posted:

You will love this then. Please note that this is a grown woman.

Iron Spike posted:

I hope you keep posting art. I'm gonna love watching you stagnate like Irish bog and snarl like a pissy little housecat every time anyone tries to say anything remotely helpful.

And I hope you plan on going pro. Do you have a tumblr? Make sure to make a post about how you would have totes gotten into your first-choice art college if the admissions board wasn't so darn racist.

Cuz dollface, you are a treasure. In 20 years, you'll be drawing the same second-hand chicken-scratch, and wondering why you never got any better. Stay golden.
Hahaha, holy poo poo. That thread is gold.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Is it wrong that I think its entirely hilarious that that person is screaming about how Westerners are too rigid and non-experimental, then calls "Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job!" trash?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Maybe we should have a PYF internet meltdowns thread.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Don't we already have a PYF internet trainwrecks? I think that about covers it.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

YggiDee posted:

Don't we already have a PYF internet trainwrecks? I think that about covers it.
I thought the trainwrecks thread was more for posting about people who are trainwrecks all the time, not so much for these occasional outbursts. But you're probably right.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Oh, man, she even uses the Picasso excuse. Picasso is to bad artists as e. e. cummings is to bad writers: a disciplined artist who mastered the standard forms of his craft before using non-standard forms in a way that actually had merit, thus ensuring that his name would be used as an excuse for the untalented amateur not even trying to master standard forms. Hell, even I know that Picasso could smoke a standard representational drawing, and I'm no artist.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Zotwoz posted:

Traditional japanese art also focuses on linework and shapes much more than western art, so that's why you see amazing backgrounds with beautiful colours behind a sickly thin anime girl. Different skill sets.

Antivehicular posted:

Oh, man, she even uses the Picasso excuse. Picasso is to bad artists as e. e. cummings is to bad writers: a disciplined artist who mastered the standard forms of his craft before using non-standard forms in a way that actually had merit, thus ensuring that his name would be used as an excuse for the untalented amateur not even trying to master standard forms. Hell, even I know that Picasso could smoke a standard representational drawing, and I'm no artist.

Oh man I love people who do this. It's because nobody sees picasso's name and thinks of all the poo poo he mastered by the time he was 15 - nope, it was all "lovely" blocky people he was super ashamed of because he didn't think people would understand it.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Rahonavis posted:

Holy crap, I own that book thanks to finding it in a dollar store, noticing the Lee/Froud rip-offs, and then noticing many other blatant art steals as well. It's called Chronicles of the Three Counties by Paul Warren, and it looks like he had all intentions of starting the next great illustrated epic. My favorite is the dragon who's been traced from an illustration in a crazy 70's dinosaur book I remember - but he has ears so it's totally different!

That's the one! There's no info anywhere online on his thefts. Apparently he's small-time enough to have gone unnoticed. I have art thieves. :argh:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

la_fausse_tortue posted:

This is beautiful.

Also, I was chatting with Parrier today. He is thinking of taking Japanese at the same university I'm going to. Not sure if you remember me mentioning that I had trouble with the pace the classes are at, but one can only imagine how Parrier will handle them.

And he's in charge of something at the local convention this year. God help us all.
You have to enroll in the same class, or at least get stories from someone else who has!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I am desperately curious as to what Parrier is in charge of at the local con. Is he just running a panel, or is he actually expected to organize something?

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Please let it be something like "Astral rape group therapy sessions." That would just be perfect.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

"How to Deal With Your Astral Pregnancies" with a focus on forgetting the astral children you already have.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:
"What to expect when you're astally expecting"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
just chimin' in to say those gaia threads are amazing. sure beats lurking conceptArt forums waiting for a meltdown!!

• Locked thread